Forums
Posted By: Meesh Manual Choke problem - 10th Apr 2005 3:56pm
Narrowed it down to this being the problem for me cars dodgy cold starts

After it starting to look like the fueling when the mornings were gettin warmer, now its gone cold again (dam british weather) its flaring up again

Noticed whilst in Net's car coming back from Vicky's party last month when she started her car it seemed the same as mine, and hers is manual choke.

Whats the price for supplying and fitting a manual choke at Autosafe?
Posted By: Dazza Re: Manual Choke problem - 10th Apr 2005 5:27pm
For that info (i.e a price etc) you would need to contact AutoSafe if thats where you wanted it doing.

Failing that try a few quotes from are Sponsers
Posted By: Meesh Re: Manual Choke problem - 10th Apr 2005 8:01pm
Got a quote cheers Daz
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Manual Choke problem - 10th Apr 2005 10:08pm
Have you tried setting the choke?

Before you start the car, floor the throttle (this sets the choke) depress the pedal, and start. As you drive the choke should unset, otherwise, when warm, just floor the throttle again to unset smile

If youve already tried that, maybe just give the carb a good clean smile
Posted By: Meesh Re: Manual Choke problem - 12th Apr 2005 6:03pm
I'll need to talk to ya face-to-face about it mate

It struggles to start from cold, tried your floorin' theory this mornin...worked.....to an extent

When it decidesd to fire up I need to keep the revs high until the engine starts to warm up (usually 2 mins), otherwise it starts spluttering and if I dont regain the revs, it cuts out.

Even if I'm driving along durin this time, if the revs drop too low then engine splutters and cuts out smack
Posted By: Scooby Re: Manual Choke problem - 12th Apr 2005 8:10pm
As i have already said, the choke isnt operating correctly therefore the fuel mixture is not getting enhanced and the idle speed is not getting increased when the engine is cold which is causing your problems.

What does a choke do ?????? think think think

When your engine is cold it needs more fuel to start and run cold and it needs a little bit of throttle (Fast Idle) to ensure it does not cut out. The reason for this is because your engine is typically set-up to run at a temperature of approx 90 degrees, to run at zero degrees for example it requires a cold start mechanism (Typically known as a Choke).

A Choke opens your throttle a little bit to prevent it from cutting out and puts more fuel into the engine so it can run smooth at low temperatures.

Meesh's choke isnt operating correctly therefore there is no fast idle and no extra fuel getting to the engine to help it run smoothly.

Quick cheap fix maybe ??

thumbsup </b>
© Wirral-Wikiwirral