Forums
Posted By: scoop Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 12:16pm
When changing discs and pads,do you?

Do both together
Do one,then the other a week later,if so which one

I ask because,ive always thought u do both together but a few people have said you should do the discs first,then the pads after about a week,theyre reasoning for it is wierd tho,and surely it is best to bed them both in to eachother,instead of beddin new discs into bald pads,then new pads into the discs,anyone have a proffesional opinion on this? jay? dazza? Grizz?

Everybody else,feel free to say what u do too
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 12:33pm
If your changing the pads, you can use the old disks (as long as they are in good nick), but if you change the Disks, change the pads at the same time smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 12:56pm
I was always told to change the pads if you change the discs.

Which i have to do as my discs are warped, but my pads are only 6 months old.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 1:05pm
Yeah, you can change only the pads if required as long as the brake discs are servicable. If you replace the brake discs then you should always replace the pads at the same time.

Any other way is simply being a butcher.....
Posted By: Dazza Re: Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 7:16pm
Originally posted by Scooby:
Any other way is simply being a butcher.....
Meaning use a grinder to remove the lip on the disc.

If discs are fine, just replace the pads - Take note of the condition of the old pad, if its v low and down to the metal its possible you've warped the disc (Metal on Metal contact gets too hot and 'deforms' the disc slightly'.

If discs need to be replaced then you MUST get pads aswell so the 'bed in' together
Posted By: scoop Re: Discs and pads change - 30th Jan 2006 9:26pm
Cheers peeps,think ill always do both together,its what ive done and what i will remain doing forever,if ur pads are 99% ded and ur discs 75% dead,u change just the pads,then 25% later u have to change both?? waste of moolah IMO,ill be gettin mondie V6 brakes soon and obviously ill be buying brand new items for them including uprated pads and motor factoe discs
Posted By: DavidB Re: Discs and pads change - 31st Jan 2006 12:23am
I drove my car home from London with a totally shattered wheel bearing and warped front discs. Braking made the front of the car wobble!!
Changing them is easier than it looks. But don't do the mistake I did once when undoing the two allen head bolts on the back of the caliper and try to undo them the wrong way. I snapped both bolts off and went through about 7 drill bits drilling them out!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral