Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Beemer needs a full service - 7th May 2006 9:22pm
Been meaning to have the car serviced for a while now. I've only had it since about february, but I've started to get a few nasty squeeks here and there, and I want to keep the engine in tip top condition to make sure I can minimise problems.

Rather than taking my car to a garage to get a full service, mainly cas I'm skint, I thought I'd have a crack at it myself. Thing is though, I've not had a car long enough to ever have to have done an oil change and things (stupid women drivers pulling out infront of me making me crash into them think

any help would be much appreciated smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Beemer needs a full service - 7th May 2006 9:51pm
I know a very cheap garage, the place where I get any major maintenance done to my car. But as Cruisewirral is supported by sponsors, it would be inappropriate for me to direct you to them.

One tip is to go to a few garages and get quotes for any work that needs doing that you dont want to attempt/not sure of yourself.

The oil change, spark plug change, radiator flush and air filter are easy enough to do yourself with a basic toolkit, I am sure you will be able to get someone who has done them before to give you a hand.

As for the clutch and the other problem (if its a manifold gasket, its not too hard, but as you dont know, you will have to get a garage or mechanic to diagnose the problem), you will be best taking it to a garage due to your lack of experience unless you have friends who are willing to help you/teach you how to do it.

My best piece of advice for you is to get yourself a Haynes manual - they are absolutely invaluable when you own a car for general maintenance etc and can help you diagnose (and of course fix) various problems with all aspects of the car. They sell for around £18 in the shops but you should be able to pick one up on eBay or from a car boot sale/market for less then a tenner.

Good luck!

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 7th May 2006 10:56pm
yeah, i've been meaning to get hold of a haynes manual, but findin it difficult with the lack of money lol.

ta for that anyways, any chance you can pm me the place?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Beemer needs a full service - 7th May 2006 11:12pm
Originally posted by BeemerRacer28:
yeah, i've been meaning to get hold of a haynes manual, but findin it difficult with the lack of money lol.

ta for that anyways, any chance you can pm me the place?
Hehe, your inbox seems to have mail... smile
Posted By: spinking Re: Beemer needs a full service - 8th May 2006 12:42am
My mate chris me (on this site) is a bm nut and knows them inside out.

He has a

M3
M535

If you want a service (cheap) and dont want a stamp i will speak to him or if you want matey i will take you to see him he will do anything you need to a bm for less tha a qtr of what bm will charge.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 9th May 2006 6:43pm
I'm after a stamp really, cas I bought the car without any service history (bad idea) and i wanna get a service book on the go.

Got the garage next door to my works to take a look at my squeak, turns out, the cambelt and tensioner are knackered!

BMW recommend you change your cambelt about every 60,000 miles. Last time it was changed was at 24,500km - thats about 15,223 miles which means it hasnt been changed for over 101,000 miles.....

no wonder it was squeaky smack
Posted By: Scooby Re: Beemer needs a full service - 9th May 2006 9:11pm
I'm after a stamp really, cas I bought the car without any service history (bad idea) and i wanna get a service book on the go.
If your after a service stamp, get the car serviced at a garage.

If you falsly stamp a service book up its fraud, black and white.

Put it this way, i wouldnt like to buy a car with service history only to discover someone had pulled the wool over my eyes.....

Reminid me not to buy your beema from you bud omg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 12:20am
Scooby, I think he meant he is looking to take it to a garage rather then actually get hold of a stamp wink

If you want a service (cheap) and dont want a stamp i will speak to him or if you want matey i will take you to see him he will do anything you need to a bm for less tha a qtr of what bm will charge
I think you probably interpreted it wrong smile
Posted By: Scooby Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 2:17am
I think you probably interpreted it wrong
smack smack smack smack
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 11:02am
so yeah scoob, any offers on the beemer? tease
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 11:11am
Try Sprayforce smile They sponsor the site and may offer a discount.

If they cant do it, ie stamp the book, or they dont have the tool to reset your service lights, drop me a PM as I know a garage that can reset the service lights. Cant post them on the forum publically though, and your first, and maybe cheapest option may be the sponsors smile
Posted By: spinking Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 12:56pm
My mates got the device to get the lights off.( i know its not a service by the way)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 5:51pm
oo yeah, mustnt forget to do that when i do it. I was looking at getting the tool, theyre like 20 quid though, so i might just use a paper clip lol. I migth have a crack at it myself, butmy mate in work said places like quickfit would do it for like a fiver or sumthin daft..anyone know about this?

If I have a crack at it myself, I've got some engine flush stuff (acp), just wondered if anyone else has tried it and if its any good? also, anyone know the best oil to use on a car like mine? ive researched it, and synthetic for a start...just wondered whats the best make or type, like for older engines for example.
Posted By: spinking Re: Beemer needs a full service - 10th May 2006 7:18pm
Give bm a buzz and ask them that way you know your not going wrong ( about the oil).

I used engine flush in my old 325i and oct bust all helps.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 12th May 2006 6:47pm
Got a new cambelt today, cost me £80 inc fitting (£30 for the belt, took 4.5 hours to fit)

Squeeking's gone anyway....for now.

Hopefully changing the oil, spark plugs and air filter 2moro, if not next week.

So i'm glad thats out of the way.

In the meantime, another problem smack

Sometimes, in the high rev range (normally 2nd gear) I get power loss, so like anything after 4,000 revs, and the car just doesnt wanna go any faster, change up, still the same, let off the accelerator, back on and its fine.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

The guy who sorted my cambelt said it could be the ecu.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Beemer needs a full service - 12th May 2006 11:24pm
With regards to oil, I used to use Castrol GTX Magnatec all the time, however, I found out that all the taxi drivers were using Shell Helix and research has proven that it is a much better oil for keeping your engine running well over long periods of time.

It cleans better then any oil and makes your engine feel far newer and more pleasent to drive. Of course, Magnatec has an advatage with regards to protecting the engine during cold starts, but otherwise Shell Helix is widely regarded to be the better oil.

I use it myself and whilst it does not feel loads better then running on Magnatec, there is a difference and the engine does feel better for longer.

I recommend you add Wynns Supercharge Oil Addative to your oil. Also, consider Wynns Xtreme, I use this as well as Supercharge. They improve performance and quieten your engine but most importantly they help protect the insides of your engine and make the oil last upto double the amount of miles it usually would!

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 15th May 2006 8:03pm
Since I got the cambelt changed, my car was constantly overheating. I was getting really p*ssed off with it and decided in the end to spend a tenner on coolant and de-ionised water, drained the radiators, pure sh*t came out of it then poured about 6 litres back into the overflow and it just seemed to go through the system. Must of had an air pocket in it, seems ok now. Not getting power loss in high revs any more either, so looks like it'll be fit for the rolling road tease

Anyway, had my oil change today (£25 + £1 for oil dispoasal) from National opposite central station. When I was warming up the engine, the damn squeek came back! They put shitty oil in too, but ahh well, least its changed. Squeek seems to have gone for now, so it's all good.

Cheers to MattyC for that place, i'll be sure to check em out for any future work like, new clutch, new cam, new manifold, new backbox, the list is endless lol
Posted By: scoop Re: Beemer needs a full service - 17th May 2006 4:48pm
Seems the problems ive read are sorted,no need for me to offer up advice on how to fix them then, i will say this tho.If u get an oil additive make sure it wont ADVERSLY affect your engine tho, theyre are some additives which cant be used on zetec engines as they contain PTFE and PTFE is bad for the zetec,make sure none of the incredients arent bad for your BM lump
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Beemer needs a full service - 17th May 2006 5:32pm
I'll watch out for that, nice one
Posted By: dave_1960 Re: Beemer needs a full service - 22nd Sep 2011 7:38pm
Hi,
Could you get chris to e-mail me I have got a problem with a BMW M3 E46 2003. Thx Dave [email protected]
I have tried to pm you but it says you have run out of e-mail space.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Beemer needs a full service - 22nd Sep 2011 8:27pm
The last post was also made more than 5 years ago....
Posted By: AlexB Re: Beemer needs a full service - 23rd Sep 2011 7:52am
I've sent Dave details of someone who can help.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Beemer needs a full service - 23rd Sep 2011 8:33am
Chris Farrell at BM Wirral on Hoylake Industrial estate, Carr lane (behined Golf course) will sort you out was head engineer at Newhall for years has set up his own place recently. He's been a family friend for years and we use him all the time have out a few fellow Wiki's on to him as well, Alex is booked in with him at moment.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Beemer needs a full service - 23rd Sep 2011 8:39am
Aye, my baby is sitting in his workshop as we speak.

I'm waiting for 'the call' when he tells me exactly what he's had to order and replace.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Beemer needs a full service - 23rd Sep 2011 12:26pm
Bet you can't wait to get it back mate, love having full services etc, feels like a new car when you get it back
Posted By: AlexB Re: Beemer needs a full service - 23rd Sep 2011 1:06pm
Yeah, he's doing some cosmetic bits too so it'll look a bit better as well!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral