Forums
Posted By: stubbzy My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 7:52am
Many of you have seen my induction kit. As you may /may not be aware of there is a perspex cover to keep any crap out. People have often commented that this must restrict the air flow. I have been meaning to do something about this for ages now but just haven't got round to it.
What i am thinkin of doin is drilling some holes in the perspex which surely will improve air flow?
Comments & advice would be very much appreciated.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 8:11am
What about spacing the perspex out from the filter? put a few washers between the perspex and the filter so that the perspex sits 2cm from the filter, that way more air can flow in and you'll still have the perspex there to keep crap out smile
Posted By: Scooby Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 8:31am
Water, engine hydrolics and pops
Posted By: scoop Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 2:31pm
Just take the cover off,the element is washable aint it, if i understand scooby propery he's suggesting ur impeeding your radiator there and blocking its air supply off?
Posted By: AL Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 5:44pm
No what he means is water being sucked in to the actual engine you could use an AEM Water Bypass Valve and just rip the whole perspex cover off like!
Posted By: Gary Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 6:05pm
if you put holes in it then surely that would just be like having no cover?
is clear mesh available or even VERY light?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 6:13pm
try makeing it removable so when it does rain you can put it back, have it open like a garage door on some kind of hinge, so do dont actually have to remove it and carry it round, thats the best idea.
Posted By: Scooby Re: My induction kit - 15th Sep 2005 6:37pm
Sorry, what i meant in my previous post was if you drill holes into it then water can enter the filter.

If you went through a deep puddle for example then on the induction stroke the water would be sucked into the combustion chamber and then when the piston come up on the compression stroke instead of squashing the air/fuel mixture it would be attempting to squash the water (Water will not compress like fuel/air) and then your engine Hydrolics and breaks a conrod or a crankshaft.

Potentially very dangerous.

I was dashing out to work this morning and didnt really have the time to explain fully.

Is your air filter a Dry type filter or is it oiled ?? If it is a dry type filter then if you drilll holes in the cover or remove it then it will absorb the moisture when raining and cause a damp air intake causing very poor performance, however if it is a Wet type filter then as long as the filter is well oiled the oil repels the moisture and allows a dry air intake.

Hope this makes sence think
Posted By: stubbzy Re: My induction kit - 19th Sep 2005 1:13pm
Cool thanks for the ideas guys. i'm gonna speak to the supplier & get some more info too.
Posted By: Den Re: My induction kit - 19th Sep 2005 2:41pm
just out of curiosity, who was the supplier and who fitted it for u?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral