Forums
Posted By: jimbo4x4 More power from a diesel - 8th Apr 2006 7:34pm
My bro wants a few more bhp from the jeep, he doesn't wanna go down the turbo route as they crack in cold water and don't give even power.

We've thought about skimming the head and fitting nitrous, but is there any other way of squeezing some more power out of this? He doesn't really wanna be spending any more than £200 or so, depending on what's on offer.
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: More power from a diesel - 9th Apr 2006 10:35am
supper chip?? maybe a tad over 200£ but power gains are massive on diesel cars
Posted By: scoop Re: More power from a diesel - 9th Apr 2006 10:42am
thing is it aint a turbo,and i think itll be mechanical injection and not ECU controlled,so god knows what u can do?NOS and butane are good ideas,not sure if skimming the head is good on diesels,or headwork at all for that matter.Maybe an engine swap?Fit a turbodiesel and itll have a lot more potential
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 9th Apr 2006 11:14pm
No he doesn't want a turbo as they won't give power low-down and they crack in cold water. It is mechanical injection on this engine so a chip is out of the question. Skimming the head would raise compression hence raising torque, and nitrous works better on higher compression engines.

Any other ideas people?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More power from a diesel - 10th Apr 2006 8:47am
The only way hes gonna get anything noticably extra from a diesel engine is do a turbo diesel transplant.

You cant adjust the fueling to your advantage on a diesel, nor can the timing be altered to give more performance and they are very restricted about what you can do - port and polish, and some head work, but the gains would be so little...

He could always try some thinners (With high % of either acetone or Tolulene) in the fuel, may give a few more gee gees, but if he wants more power a Turbo is the only way frown
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 10th Apr 2006 9:47am
Jim, i am facing the exact same problem with the Cruisewirral Transit Van thumbsup
Posted By: scoop Re: More power from a diesel - 10th Apr 2006 2:17pm
Originally posted by Scooby:

I am looking at several options.

Some Crazy Engine, 5.7 Chevy Block....

Whichever option i choose has to be a viable option and not too crazy.
contradiction there jay.I think u shud go for a v6 petrol

And jimbo,think its best if u get another engine,even if its not a TD just get a bigger diesel engine,like the one in the tranny ATM.wot engine the jeep got atm?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 10th Apr 2006 11:41pm
Vauxhall 1.7, he'd want to stay with GM too as anything else would cost too much to fit. Already have an Opel Manta box, so it'd have to mate to that. There's complications with size too as it's in-line and the sump only just clears the axle on articulation think

Jay, the TD would be easiest as you can already get transits with them. Otherwise I say red-top or V6
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 10th Apr 2006 11:42pm
Cheers for the replies btw everyone, they're dead useful.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: More power from a diesel - 12th Apr 2006 6:31pm
cossy powered lol, like the 1 of topgear
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 18th Apr 2006 12:41am
Originally posted by jimbo4x4:
Jay, the TD would be easiest as you can already get transits with them. Otherwise I say red-top or V6
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3.0 V6 for me....... raftl

I have just bought an Ambulance as a donor vehicle, Click here to read up on the project.....
Posted By: DavidB Re: More power from a diesel - 22nd Apr 2006 1:52am
Manta rear box goes straight onto the GM engines, as does the Omega 'F25' ones (which have a wider ratio) and you can buy a shallow sump from SBD, or on ebay. 100 - 200 quid.
Get a 2.5 straight six from a Carlton! Less faffing about.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 22nd Apr 2006 11:43am
Miek, it already has - Opel manta 1800 box, shallow sump, induction kit, full straight through custom exhaust. Thanks for the ideas though, and he wants to stay diesel as they survive underwater with just the help of a snorkel.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 23rd Apr 2006 3:05am
really the only way to get good power out of a diesel is with a turbo. f@@k the n/a off an get a 1.7 turbo an get a good welder to fab a manifold to relocate the turbo to reduce it gettin pissed on, imho this would be the best option.
Posted By: DavidB Re: More power from a diesel - 23rd Apr 2006 1:22pm
ah. smile
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 26th Apr 2006 11:11pm
Let me make myself clear about why a turbo is not an option:

[Linked Image]

Yes, that's ice, imagine that hitting a red hot turbo!
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 27th Apr 2006 12:57am
think think think
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 1st May 2006 2:20am
imho p1ssin in the wind as you cant have it both ways, although what about different ratio's for quicker response?
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 1st May 2006 9:36am
Carnt you throw a Red Top 2.0 16v lump in there ? No Turbo and 148 BHP think
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 1st May 2006 7:15pm
Originally posted by Scooby:
Carnt you throw a Red Top 2.0 16v lump in there ? No Turbo and 148 BHP think
good idea batman then you could reroute the exhaust to come out near rear window.

encase all the electrics in a sealed box.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 1st May 2006 11:41pm
Originally posted by clj85:
imho p1ssin in the wind as you cant have it both ways, although what about different ratio's for quicker response?
Lol, I know, we've tried everything! Btw it has a low ratio transfer case atm, i think the gearing is about 30:1 when 4L is selected lol. If you leave it in gear you could climb out and it'd climb walls without stalling laugh

I'll mention the red-top as IMO it's a worthwhile option, he'll just lose a bit of torque think
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 2nd May 2006 8:12am
I think its well worth considering mate. Red Top on twin 40's with a snorkel feeding them happy

What torque does the diesel lump have ?

I am pretty sure the red top would have more, i remember being 5 up in a MK2 Astra GTE 16v (Red Top) and you could floor it from 55 mph in 5th gear and it would climb all the way to 148 mph very fast, no messing about like.

With the gearing you have i think it would still climb a brick wall on idle without stalling ?

With the limited options you have i think this one is the best by far mate.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More power from a diesel - 2nd May 2006 1:57pm
Thing is, snorkel or no snorkel, going that deep in the water is gonna give you electrical problems with any petrol motor, as the water will get between the leads and plugs, in the dizzy cap and everywhere.

Turbos dont get as hot on diesel cars as they do on petrols and your hardly gonna be pushing high boost for long periods in that terrain.

TD I say - the new Discos / Range Rovers / anyother serious off road vehicle seem to get by without cracking turbine housings smile

A petrol motor in water that deep will cut out and leave you stranded frown
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 6th May 2006 6:43pm
Originally posted by StuyMac:
Thing is, snorkel or no snorkel, going that deep in the water is gonna give you electrical problems with any petrol motor, as the water will get between the leads and plugs, in the dizzy cap and everywhere.

Turbos dont get as hot on diesel cars as they do on petrols and your hardly gonna be pushing high boost for long periods in that terrain.

TD I say - the new Discos / Range Rovers / anyother serious off road vehicle seem to get by without cracking turbine housings smile

A petrol motor in water that deep will cut out and leave you stranded frown
totally agree
Posted By: Dazza Re: More power from a diesel - 9th May 2006 1:00am
I think we all agree a turbo is the best and I second what stuy says about diesel turbos not getting as hot as a petrol, another thing that will help is getting a water-cooled turbo, it wont help alot since the water is mainly for cooling down the turbo once not being used but its better than nothing.

Another thought noone has mentiond is a supercharger altho you would have to make a one-off as to my knowledge no one has done one (Aftermarket wise). The advantage with that is the power is evenly spread across the whole rev range so its instanly availible plus you dont have to worry about extreme temps cracking exhaust housings.
It can be done, and aslong as you know the go in you and arnt prepaird to face defeat you will do it. Granted not on £200 but I personally think this would be best, going off your brothers requirments.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 12th May 2006 9:06pm
Just had a thought, maybe a supercharger would be a better option

tease

He's gonna look into it Dazza, cheers for the input and I agree, how come no-one thought of it sooner! It'd be a big project but **** me, if this plan works it'll be friggin awesome.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 12th May 2006 9:25pm
this means that the supercharger is going to be submergeed in water, superchargers still get hot.

what about a new 16v diesel out of an astra/vectra?
Posted By: Dazza Re: More power from a diesel - 12th May 2006 9:48pm
Superchargers are belt driven (Usally off the cambelt, that iv seen thats aftermarket) so will get no-where near as hot as a turbo but with all the benefits to reap.

I'll dig out useful bits of a convo I once had with a turkish guy thats S/C his zetec, its quite impressive. He knows what parts etc to use so ill see what I can find jim
Posted By: Dazza Re: More power from a diesel - 12th May 2006 10:19pm
Right, am still getting my info off my friend (Hes from Slovenia not turkey). The BMW Mini supercharger is a common S/C to use, altho my friend Ernest Pančur has used a roots type of blower, Eaton M62. This blower creates preasure at idle (unlike some) so requires a bypass valve, it can also be easily mod'd since most S/C reqiure mounting to the inlet manifold - With a flange and custom piping this is avoided. It comes off a mercedes, and along with the S/C you'll need the obvious such as higher rated injectors, intercooler, CR decrease, ideally an enlarged throttlebody and a custom way of making it all happen!

Keep in contact as i'll get more info if you need it mate, he also has a few pics of his progress so far wink
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 13th May 2006 9:44am
Allot of work by the sounds of it ? Lower compressions, fueling, bypass valves and acuators....

How you goinf to fuel accordingly ? Bigger injectors wont do it, you will get far too much fuel at idle.

Jim, Have you looked into Water Injection think
Posted By: Dazza Re: More power from a diesel - 13th May 2006 11:08am
Whoops! forgot to add you'll need an aftermarket ECU and get it mapped to sort out the fuels/boost etc.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More power from a diesel - 13th May 2006 11:20am
If an older TD engine is used, or an older diesel with supercharger, chances are it will be mechanical diesel injection, so there wont be an ECU (Fitting an ECU will give water - electric problems) wink

Jusst need to adjust the fueling and the timing on the diesel pump wink
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 14th May 2006 3:31pm
Originally posted by StuyMac:
Jusst need to adjust the fueling and the timing on the diesel pump wink
Sweet, and yeah, it's a mechanical diesel, no ECU.

Scoob, what's water injection? And how would it benefit the Jeep? Never heard of it before..
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 14th May 2006 4:00pm
water injection sprays a very fine mist of water into the combustion chamber to eliminate detonation. this is mostly used on turbo charged cars like evo, cossie, etc.

they retail for about 350 to 500 i think. do a google and u will find more info happy
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 14th May 2006 10:04pm
Its a very old fashioned method of gaining performance. Basically its a very fine mish of water sprayed into the induction side of the engine and when the det happens the water turns to steam therefore pushing the piston down harder.

I only have very limited knowledge of water injection but its proven to work.

It has many many advatages such as its free happy

It may be worth doing some homework to find out about it. I have heard you can make to kit from some simple items (D.I.Y)
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 15th May 2006 11:10pm
water injection does not gain performance.

pretty pointless in a derv as det is not common,

i'd still say turbo as you could make a splash guard for the turbo/manifold as they don't get that hot anyway
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 15th May 2006 11:21pm
Originally posted by clj85:
water injection does not gain performance.

think think think think
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More power from a diesel - 16th May 2006 8:41am
True, on a Derv, water injection wont really be of any help frown

Water injection actually loses you power as you are adding water to the air fuel mix, but it does prevent det so allows you to run more boost which gives you the performance gain - theres a very fine line at the point of where you actually need to start using water injection.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: More power from a diesel - 18th May 2006 11:10am
Have you thought about general diesel tuning like a a diesel tuning box.

visit www.diesel-tuning.co.uk
Posted By: scoop Re: More power from a diesel - 18th May 2006 12:25pm
Personally i think TD is gonna be the best route as when hes off roading he wont be boosting really so cold turbo,then when its time to go home he has more power to get him home faster and his turbo can get as hot as it wants then cos thats him out of water for the day,good idea no, and as for the pic on the last page,Who the hell drives thru 4 ft deep ponds?!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 18th May 2006 6:03pm
Any idea what turning up the excess fuel will do? He's already got it fed through to a switch, he uses it when the engines cold then flicks it down to save fuel. Then when he wants a few more pounds of torque he'll flick it up again. Works really well atm but what would happen if he turned it higher than it should be?
Posted By: Scooby Re: More power from a diesel - 18th May 2006 9:42pm
allot of black smoke smack

Rich mixture is okay, lean is dangerous. Have you played with the diesel pump timing ?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 19th May 2006 12:07am
Lol I know, but will it increase perfomance? Or would it put the engine in danger?

I don't think he's played with the timing at all, I certainly haven't.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: More power from a diesel - 21st May 2006 12:57am
if the timing is spot on them this will help the running.

if you over fuel then there is a risk of washing the bores which is bad due to the leaking of feul into the sump by bypassing the piston rings. this is extreme cases tho.

1.7td out of an old cav is what u need imho.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: More power from a diesel - 22nd May 2006 4:09pm
well i have just bought a 2.0l turbo diesl citron belingo van and was lookin in to upgradin the speed, i hink i have the right engine to be sooped up so any ideas any one ?
Posted By: scoop Re: More power from a diesel - 23rd May 2006 12:01pm
Up the boost and wind the diesel pump up andy,if it has the capability,if it has an ECU look into chipping
Posted By: StuyMac Re: More power from a diesel - 23rd May 2006 12:49pm
The new VAG engines are all electronically controlled from the ECU, meaning you cant manually wind the boost up.

A chip is the only option smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: More power from a diesel - 24th May 2006 10:19pm
junk
Posted By: grizz Re: More power from a diesel - 2nd Jun 2006 9:51pm
Is it a 1.9 td or a 2.0 hdi ? Both can be tuned for more power .
Posted By: Lund Re: More power from a diesel - 2nd Jun 2006 10:37pm
Your right, there's not much you can do to a n/a diesel engine the only thing you could do to improve performance is to fit extractors and a better exhaust system.

Fitting extractors and a better exhaust makes a very noticeable improvement, quicker off the spot etc. I know on LR Defenders they have large bore side exit exhausts, but most are turbo'd except the 90's and army n/a diesels
Posted By: Sanchez Re: More power from a diesel - 6th Jun 2006 4:22pm
its a 2.0l hdi gl
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: More power from a diesel - 6th Jun 2006 5:56pm
Lund, what do you mean by "extractors"?
Posted By: grizz Re: More power from a diesel - 6th Jun 2006 11:09pm
you are in luck with the hdi , you can remap them or plug in a tunning box . this will give you another 30-50 bhp ! !
Posted By: Lund Re: More power from a diesel - 7th Jun 2006 6:10pm
Originally posted by jimbo4x4:
Lund, what do you mean by "extractors"?
Oh sorry, err extractors are like steel tubes welded to a header plate that bolts to the
head. A manifold basically! The factory exhaust manifolds are sometimes steel tube, but mostly cast iron, can you get different manifolds for it?

With the exhaust: Increasing the diameter will help it breathe, but don't go over 2" (5cm) as this will INCREASE backpressure due to gasflow stagnation. Aim for 1.75" or 44mm happy Should be enough, I think.

There isnt really much, that you can do to a n/a diesel, without huge modifications, I say improve gas flow and modifications to the breathing: Snorkel is good happy Intercooler?? think

Make it as light as possible tease

On another note, how often do you go offroading?
Posted By: GazzA Re: More power from a diesel - 8th Jun 2006 1:13am
Diesel tuning for me is simply laugh

99BHP standard..

145-150BHP tuned
MAFAM
ITG panel Filter
Boost increase of 3-4psi
De-Cat
FMIC
Chipped
Posted By: Sanchez Re: More power from a diesel - 11th Jun 2006 1:56pm
ok, so were do i go for a new ecu ? please