Forums
Posted By: Dom Davo Lowering a megane O.O - 3rd Mar 2006 4:25pm
i have a 1.4 renault megane 5dr 98 and i want to lower it. But ive been told that my car is front springs only and the rear is a rear is torsion bar.

I idealy wanted to slam it 60mm cos my car is so high it aint even funny! but the only way to lower it 60mm is with coilovers which are way past my budget.
The lowest springs i can get hold of is 40mm but as im only replacing the front springs what will happen to the back? will it drop accordingly or will it just stay hight putting my car at a massive slant lol ? My knowledge of this area is realy limited and if any1 could help wud b much thanks n1
Posted By: Gary Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 3rd Mar 2006 4:41pm
french cars are torsion bar on the rear.

depending on the method of lowerring will determine how much the rear will be lowered.

1) lower the mm way and it will be lowered exactly how much you want it.

2) lower the spline way, itll either lower about 30mm then straight jump to 2nd spline about 65mm, my first 106 was done this way and this happend (just looks stupid)

[Linked Image]

were as my gti is now 40mm exactly all round and loosk like this:

[Linked Image]

get it done the proper 'mm' way!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 3rd Mar 2006 5:17pm
Is that water under your car in the picture garry ha ha ha
Posted By: Dom Davo Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 3rd Mar 2006 6:55pm
DAM that 106 is slammed lol! How do you lower the spline ? is it a case of buying a new part or just adjusting, which method would you recomend and also is it reversable?.
If you take a look at my mmc

MMC Topic

the pic dont realy show how high it actualy is! but mb will give u an idea to recomending a method?
Posted By: Scooby Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 3rd Mar 2006 9:26pm
Try Sprayforce mate, they can lower Torsion Bars for you and yes its reversable if you want to put it back to normal.

Click here to view Sprayforces contact details......
Posted By: Gary Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 4th Mar 2006 11:58am
id always reccomend the mm way as then your gona get a more accurate method of lowering
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 4th Mar 2006 4:36pm
My 106 was lowered 35mm and the back dropped 2 splines. was low enough for me.

Its not a job i would try and tackle myself, you will need to heat up the bars and takem off then twist it required amount, if you slip or pull it out to far its off the road in a renault garage.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 4th Mar 2006 6:15pm
That's mad, I never knew they had torsion bars.
Posted By: scoop Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 12th Mar 2006 11:38pm
do not go lower than 30mm on standard dampers up front,so id suggest a 30mm spring set up front and 1 spline on the bar,or 2 splines on bar and 40mm or more suspension kit,dampers and springs up front
Posted By: Dom Davo Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 12th Mar 2006 11:45pm
already bort 50 mm springs, ah well
Posted By: scoop Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 12th Mar 2006 11:49pm
its no HUGE deal,as if you do no country road driving you'll never see the limits of your cars handling but on 50mm springs and stock dampers a standard megane would out-handle you on the twisties
Posted By: Dom Davo Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 15th Mar 2006 1:10pm
i realise that the ride wont b as smooth, but my car aint very fast so i dont realy do that much racing. Do town driving mostly
Posted By: Coupe Chris Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 15th Mar 2006 1:22pm
Originally posted by Gary:
french cars are torsion bar on the rear.
not necessarily true

I had a 99 t reg clio which was springs all round

You could get just springs but i believe the lowest spring kit is 40mm for the megane

coilovers will give you upto an 80mm drop and are available from

http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?App=Megane&Category=Suspension

or you could get a suspension kit

http://www.performancedriven.co.uk/shop.category.asp?CatID=4

a suspension kit will give you the looks but not the handling available from a coilover kit but is cheaper
Posted By: Gary Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 15th Mar 2006 6:14pm
now i would of sworn blind that clios were torsion bar rather than springs on the rear and im still very suprised
Posted By: Coupe Chris Re: Lowering a megane O.O - 15th Mar 2006 11:16pm
the mk1 clios are torsion bar but the 98-01 ones are springs

don't know about the 01 owards ones tho
© Wirral-Wikiwirral