Forums
Posted By: John WRX Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:13pm
Ok, first off got a towbar sorted for the vectra, ill be fitting that on thursday.

Removed the follwoing off the scoob, bumper, lip spoiler, bonnet, radiator, power steering, header tank, alternator, dump valve, intercooler, battery, coil pack, induction kit etc etc and have found quite a big hole on top of the block so its looking nasty, have also cracked the inlet manifold quite badly, looks like the thud has pushed everything up, probably also shagged the engine mounts so new ones of them going in. From looking inside whilst cranking it over on the crank pulley nut it looks like the crankshaft has become seperated from con rod on piston 2 thus the conrod hitting the top of the block and making the hole. Not sure why this has happened but will find out. Fingers crossed the pistons are ok but early quotes are looking at £900 for a new block which comes with 4 pistons and the crankshaft, gasket kit is £300 then ive got to pay for labour and get other bits for it.

Planning on getting the inlet manifold off tomorrow night and taking it from there.
Will keep you posted.
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:16pm
gutted for ya john

gud job u work ya plums off an ya gud at wat ya do otherwise u wud b screwed, lukin forward to seein it bk on the road,

cnt let ya beast die!!!!
Posted By: scoop Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:24pm
Where did this happen and what were u doin while it happened?

Would you need new pistons? Surely it'd be cheaper to get the block on its own and buy forged pistons instead of gettin stock pistons only to change em.

Maybe it was a fault in the engine components that would have happened tuned or not?
Maybe its the excess power moving stock rods/pistons? Strengthened H section Rods and forged pistons time?
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:27pm
it happened on the way home from santa pod scoop
Posted By: John WRX Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:35pm
running 80 mph on motorway off boost and on a downhill section, no warning just let go frown
Posted By: scoop Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:41pm
I aint gettin a scooby then if theyre that bad.Is the boxer lump famed for such unreliability or is it only the fettled ones?
Posted By: Scooby Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 8:50pm
ONly once you start pushing past the designed limitations.

John is pushing a Huge Turbo and 21 psi boost anongst other things......

Gutted for you john, like i say i have a blcok there with 1 melted piston which could possibly be salvaged.

Keep us posted matey. I know how you feel about the engine, i have been there 3 times so far smack smack smack
Posted By: Paul R Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 8th Aug 2005 11:16pm
Gutted for your mate, hope its back on the road soon!!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 9th Aug 2005 1:32am
Absolutely gutted for you John, good luck in getting her back up and running
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 9th Aug 2005 8:51am
i know you can do it, i have faith in you. tell you what its a big hole.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 9th Aug 2005 9:08am
Unlucky mate frown

Whats actually happened? Rod snapped?
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 11th Aug 2005 7:12pm
Unlucky john mate, hope you get it sorted soon.
Posted By: Smiler198 Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 12th Aug 2005 1:43am
Originally posted by John WRX:
it looks like the crankshaft has become seperated from con rod on piston 2 thus the conrod hitting the top of the block and making the hole.
Layman Terms -

As that said, sounds like the con-rod has disconnected from the crank, so it may have become stuck in the bore, then on the next cycle its had a almighty thump off the crank, sending the rod and piston up into the head. Remember now there is nothing too pull the rod & piston back down so it carries on up. Worst case it could of damaged the valves, the piston could of broken up, damaging the bore, going into the sump oil and other various amounts of damage.

Hope things are not too bad, could you not take the same option as scooby took.?
Posted By: John WRX Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 13th Aug 2005 9:51pm
Originally posted by AliasOmega:
Layman Terms -

As that said, sounds like the con-rod has disconnected from the crank, so it may have become stuck in the bore, then on the next cycle its had a almighty thump off the crank, sending the rod and piston up into the head. Remember now there is nothing too pull the rod & piston back down so it carries on up. Worst case it could of damaged the valves, the piston could of broken up, damaging the bore, going into the sump oil and other various amounts of damage.

Hope things are not too bad, could you not take the same option as scooby took.?
The psitons dont go up and down, they go from side to side with it being the flat 4 engine. Therefore it has 2 cylinder heads.
Lots of options are available, just need to get some cash first.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 17th Aug 2005 7:58pm
Originaly posted by John WRX in another topic :

I have got an engine sorted today biggrin.gif

Its currently in London sitting in an STi version 4.
Bought it for £1200 and ive sold half the engine already which i dont need for £600 so its not that bad.
Comes with forged pistons, crank and lightened crank and flywheel so can run high boost without the danger of melting the pistons which is good.
Off to pick it up on Tuesday.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 17th Aug 2005 8:51pm
Still agree with Scoop on the pistons and conrods.

You'll feel better once the work is done, just don't lose the remote straight after you finish like I did.
Posted By: John WRX Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 19th Aug 2005 1:59pm
Just been let down on this engine so im gutted to say the least frown
Posted By: Scooby Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 19th Aug 2005 2:50pm
Maybe a blessing in discuise john.

Get a full STi Engine including the heads mate, your doing all of the hard work anyways with removing the engine so its no more hassle just a few extra pennies for the STi motor.

Trust me on this issue, i know mate smack

You tried Hills Breakers in Ormskirk (i think) ??
Posted By: John WRX Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 19th Aug 2005 5:21pm
Yeah ive tried them, they are looking, there is one on ebay at the moment so im keeping an eye on that
Posted By: John WRX Re: Operation Fix My Scooby - 30th Aug 2005 12:52am
gauges and suspension set up has arrived so will be fitting all that soon, still no engine yet but im still trying
© Wirral-Wikiwirral