Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 4:06pm
Ever noticed that Imprezas sound like they are "misfiring"???

Well, after listening to some rally car Imprezas, they sound more like a normal 4 cylinder car confused

After a bit of digging Ive found out why smile

The Impreza is a flat 4 - 2 cyliners point left and 2 point right. The turbo, however sits to the left of the engine (looking from the front).

The Misfire sound is caused by the time it takes the "bang" from the right hand side cylinders to get to the turbo, and causes 1 of the cylinders to sound like it is firing with one on the left.

The rally cars however use equal length manifolds, causing all "Bangs" to arrive at the turbo at the same time, and give the car a more "normal" sound.

Lol, useless info prolly, but it was something I had been thinking about for a while smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 4:29pm
I think they have a distinctive cool purr to them, (grunt)

But like you say, I always wondered why or how?

Nice one,
i'm one person who didnt fined it usless happy
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 4:36pm
Nice one smile
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 4:52pm
general info thats quite gud to know explains it now when u tink about it, stil sound sweet tho!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 5:01pm
i luv the way u always know when a scooby is coming!!!!!
Posted By: dj_russell_plays_trance Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 7:15pm
never nu that m8!!!!! thats intresting info good!!
Posted By: AL Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 7:23pm
Very interesting that mate love snippets of information like that will probably listen motre closely to a scooby now!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 7:38pm
Yep, two manifolds, distributor in the middle. Another name for these cars is a Boxer.
I thought the turbine sat to the right of the engine?

It's a nice sound, but nothing matches a Porsche 911. How it makes that sound.....
Posted By: Scooby Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 12th Oct 2004 9:14pm
Great Info Stewy, To simplify it slightly the exhaust headers (Manifolds) are not equal in lenght, one is quite a bit longer than the other so as you correctly say it takes longer for the exhaust gases to travel through that manifold than the other hence producing the Mis-fire growl.

I have been looking at "Equal lenght Manifolds" for my Impreza recently as they provide more power gains however you loose the renowned Impreza Growl that makes them sound like they are mis-firing. Sorry but i couldnt do that to my Impreza.... Its one of the features of an impreza that makes it quite unique.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 13th Oct 2004 5:18pm
Yeah, keep the inequal lengths. The sound is v. distinctive, and you'll save yourself a fair few hundred quid too.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 13th Oct 2004 7:12pm
Originally posted by StationMiek:
It's a nice sound, but nothing matches a Porsche 911. How it makes that sound.....
They're boxer engines too, just with a couple of extra cylinders slapped on the end. For me the note of an AC cobra is unbeatable, lucky for me the jeep sounds almost exactly the same! smile smile
Posted By: dj_russell_plays_trance Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 13th Oct 2004 7:37pm
the note of my dads v8 formula boat is unbeatable nt it jimbo happy but i love the scooby sound its awsome and hopefully i keep doin well with my job and im havin a nu 1 on finance nxt yr and thats no lie happy
Posted By: scoop Re: Impreza Exhaust Note - 14th Mar 2006 4:14am
would it be daft of someone to make an unequal length manifold for a in line 4 like a zetec,having one of the pipes goin off on a kinf and coming back to join the "collector" so u get a 2 step tone?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral