Forums
Posted By: Mark Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 17th May 2006 9:58pm
General Motors has confirmed that 900 jobs are to be cut at its Vauxhall plant on Merseyside. Its Ellesmere Port plant, which currently employes around 3000 workers, is to cut the number of daily shift from three to two, with the night rota axed. The company said that it would try to avoid compulsory redunancies at the plant which makes the Astra.

A statement from Vauxhall says that the move move reflects the ongoing pressure in the automotive sector to increase productivity and to reduce cost.

------------------

Is this the begining of the end?
With so many Car Manufactures reporting that
they are closing,
is Vauxhall now doomed as with Rover and the rest?

Your thoughts?
Posted By: Paul R Re: Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 17th May 2006 11:16pm
Its bad, but me dad may take the money 36 months pay and his full pension 15 years early.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 18th May 2006 8:44am
I think it the end of any manufacturing and anything industry related in are country. Every1 is moving abroad, for instance airbus have just moved some of it abroad. All that will be left in are country will be low pay job £6 an hour etc and how the hell can you afford to buy a houses in a nice area, you need at leat 100k and they are getting harder to find with the prices on the rise. Were having to py more and the jobs that are becoming available are paying less what a bunch off wan.ers
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 18th May 2006 9:24am
Where ever you go on the Wirral you see thousands of 5 door astras waiting for owners.

Shame they don't ship them to the US. I suppose, at the end of the day, there is only so many astras the world will buy.

Wonder if the Vauxhall plant will win any more contracts
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 18th May 2006 9:28am
I heard that the e-port plant got the astra van contract.

Also heard that GM are thinking of shipping the astra to the states as a trail to see what responce it gets.

Then again they could just be rumours.
Posted By: Macca GSI Re: Is it the End of Vauxhall at E-port? - 18th May 2006 9:43am
I do my college day release with the engineer apprentices from vauxhalls and they were sayin that the big boss's in germany have decided to not put anymore money in to e-port plant so after the astra is finished no more e-port plant! put they will still have to make the parts to sell wont they??
© Wirral-Wikiwirral