Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper AF14 UGH - 19th Apr 2018 8:53pm
It is illegal to reverse onto a main road.

It is illegal for good reason because it is dangerous.

It is even more dangerous when you pull out in front of two lanes of vehicles.

Ignore the time stamp on the video (battery is dead), I am sure its the second time I have seen issues with this vehicle on this stretch of road. If you know this person and they are not fit to drive, please do something about it before they kill someone or kill themselves.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: AF14 UGH - 19th Apr 2018 10:51pm
Unfortunate place to live not many options. Ive seen people in those houses stop on the inside lane and reverse into their drives which can be equally awkward as they swing the nose of car round. Also seen them stop in outside lane to cross oncoming traffic which means they cant reverse into driveway. Think parking on the pavement is not legal either?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: AF14 UGH - 20th Apr 2018 8:47am
It is not illegal to reverse into a main road but it is not advisable.

Highway code rule 201:

Rule 201
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

The problem is this is a busy road, you just want to get off it onto your driveway. People don't like waiting or helping - especially if they get home during rush hour - so its not surprising they drive in front-first.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: AF14 UGH - 20th Apr 2018 10:21am
Got me there, I was sure it was an offence in its own right. I’ll look at the history later.

I used to park on one of those drives regularly, always reversed in.

I’ll give way to somebody coming out forwards if it looks like they are stuck, I’m not so considerate for those reversing out.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: AF14 UGH - 20th Apr 2018 11:44am
I'll put it down to poor wording in the Highway Code, it states "When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can", which implies if it is possible not to reverse out then that is mandatory not to.

However there is also "You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary." which is mandatory and law, in most cases it is not "necessary" to reverse out a drive then that would normally apply. Foresight is also applied in law so going forward in would not be an excuse for necessarily reversing out.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: AF14 UGH - 23rd Apr 2018 8:54pm
http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-reversing.html

Yep it’s I’ll advised but not illegal on a driveway
© Wirral-Wikiwirral