Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Replacement Key Fob casing - 14th Nov 2017 7:45pm
Is it straight forward to swop over the existing electronic bits and chip from one key fob to another as the bit you press has worn out. . Also the blade will need swopping over (as I don't want to have it cut) that looks a little more tricky as it appears to be riveted in.

BMW Mini Cooper.

replacement fob only few quid on ebay.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Replacement Key Fob casing - 14th Nov 2017 8:07pm
Just watched it on you tube,putting the workings from your old key into the new one is relatively easy to do, changing the blade is not so simple and it would be easier just to get the new key cut.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Replacement Key Fob casing - 14th Nov 2017 11:26pm
cheers Dilly. My brain works slower than my typing.. After posting I thought youtube!!. That's exactly what I thought swopping blade over looks dodgy.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Replacement Key Fob casing - 14th Nov 2017 11:31pm
Some cheap replacement fobs are useless, I usually end up putting a screw straight through them to hold them together.

Others don't even accept the original blades, seller usually acts very surprised, I just lose the will to live.

Another bit of advice, never buy a blank of ebay expecting a local key cutter to cut them, they won't. Cheap key blades use hard metals which can shatter or wear their cutting blades.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Replacement Key Fob casing - 15th Nov 2017 1:00pm
Just keep an eye out for an ID46 chip if it has one.

Its a totally separate little black module that can be hidden in the plastic key casing.

So many people throw away the old case and don't notice it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Replacement Key Fob casing - 15th Nov 2017 5:25pm
Spotted the chip Gibbo. Learnt that lesson few years ago when wife dropped key in gutter and it opened up and chip fell out. Took ages to figure out why car wouldn't start. Thankfully found the chip still in the gutter.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral