Forums
Posted By: AL Honda: Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 17th Sep 2004 7:25pm
Honda Civic Hatchback 2.0 16v Type-R

[Linked Image]
Overall Rating
Price: £16,250
For: Nearly 200bhp and a chassis that can wring the best out of it ensures the Civic is a genuine hot hatch. Keen pricing adds to the appeal. Our Hot Hatch of the Year 2004.
Against: Limited range of colours, expensive air-con option and no side airbags. Costly insurance rules out the young and inexperienced.

Performance

Gets going beyond 5500rpm A chassis to match the performance. The hot Civic is powered by a 2.0-litre engine with Honda's VTEC variable valve-timing system, which develops 197bhp at 7400rpm delivered via a close-ratio six-speed gearbox. Despite this bag of high-tech tricks, it still needs driving hard if you want to use its full potential. When you're in less of a rush it's unfussed and docile, though.

[Linked Image]
Handling

The Type-R has extra stiffening and firmer springs and dampers than other Civics, and its ride is firm but controlled. Despite a total lack of electronic driver aids there's next to no difficulty putting the car's power down. Equally, go into a bend too quickly and back off the throttle and there's no tail-wagging. There's loads of grip and steering feedback.
[Linked Image]
Refinement

The Type-R is short of refinement on long journeys. Despite the blunt nose and high roof, there's no great problem with wind noise, althoughroad roar is an issue. But the engine is beautifully smooth and there's an almost sadistic pleasure to be had from revving it hard so you can hear it scream.

• Body type Hatchback
  • Number of doors 3
  • Number of seats 4
  • Engine (cc/type) 1998/4
  • Fuel type Unleaded
  • Max power (bhp/rpm) 197/7400
  • Max torque (lb ft/rpm) 145/5900
  • Max speed (mph) 146
  • 0-60mph (sec)
  • 30-70mph (sec) 6.5
  • In Gears 30 to 50 (sec) 4.2/5.4/7.3
  • In Gears 50 to 70 (sec) 4.1/5.8/7.8
  • Braking distance (m) 9.8/54.1
  • Engine position F
  • Driven wheels Front
  • Length (mm) 4140
  • Width (mm) 1695
  • Height (mm) 1420
  • Front headroom (mm) 950
  • Front legroom (mm) 940
  • Rear headroom (mm) 1090
  • Rear kneeroom (mm) 910
  • Boot space (min ltr) 315
  • Boot space (max ltr) 610
  • Turning circle (m) 11.4
  • Turning circle lock to lock(m) not available
  • Towing weight (kg) no data
  • Kerb weight (kg) 1204

Buying Quality Safety and Security
Demand ensures strong residuals Built to last Misses out on traction control

[Linked Image]
Buying

This is another area where the Type-R scores over its rivals. You can confidently expect it to hang on to a higher proportion of its value over the course of time. What's more, there are few penalties. CO2 emissions and fuel economy are good for company drivers, although insurance is expensive.

Quality

Although the car may not use the very highest quality materials, it's all well constructed. Honda is renowned for its engineering - its cars are acclaimed for their longevity, and this model should be no exception.

Safety and Security

The Type-R is not as well equipped as the rest of the Civic range, missing out on side airbags. However, it gets four disc brakes with anti-lock, but no traction control. Security is good, although our testers overcame the Civic's deadlocks.
  • Urban 23.0 mpg
  • Extra Urban 40.4 mpg
  • Combined 31.7 mpg
  • CO2 Rating 212
  • Insurance Group 17
  • Typical Quote 607
  • Retained Value 67.866
  • Contract Hire Rate 348
  • Cost per mile 44.32
  • Service Cost 928
  • Servicing 12/12,500
  • Warranty 36/90,000 + 3 year Paint + 6 year Perforation

Behind the Wheel Space and Practicality
Titanium gear-knob dominates One of the roomiest hot hatches ever Minimalist approach and few options
[Linked Image]
Behind the Wheel

Despite the lack of adjustment for steering wheel reach or seat height, the driving position is excellent. Sports seats cosset those up-front, while white dials, a titanium centre console and dash-mounted gearknob sparkle in the simple yet elegant interior.

Space and Practicality

The Type-R comes with three doors only but there's plenty of room for four plus their luggage. The rear seat back is split 60/40, although the seat base is fixed and there are no headrests for rear passengers or a centre rear seatbelt. Also, the driver's seat does not slide to aid access to the rear.

Equipment

The Type-R takes a fairly minimalist approach to standard equipment. Driver and passenger airbags, an alarm and front electric windows and a CD player are standard, and that's it. The only options are air-conditioning and satellite-navigation.
  • Central Locking standard
  • Remote Locking standard
  • Adjustable Steering Reach not available
  • Adjustable Steering Rake standard
  • Electric Steering Adjustable no data
  • Seat Height Adjustable not available
  • Power Seats Adjustable not available
  • Air Conditioning 1000
  • Climate Control not available
  • Seat Belt Tensioners standard
  • Driver Airbag standard
  • Passenger Airbag standard
  • Side Airbag not available
  • Side Impactbars standard
  • Centre 3 Pointbelt not available
  • Traction Control not available
  • Antilock Brakes standard
  • Auto Gearbox not available
  • Alloywheels standard
  • Deadlocks standard
  • Immobiliser standard
  • Alarm standard
  • Visible Vin standard
  • Secure Spare Wheel standard
  • Marked Parts standard
  • Etched Windows not available
  • Satellite Navigation £900
  • Handsfree Phone no data
  • Leather Seats not available
  • Locking Wheelnuts standard
  • Metallic Paint £265
  • Split Fold Rear Seats standard
  • Electric Front Windows standard
  • Electric Mirrors standard
  • Heated Mirrors standard
  • Manual Sunroof not available
  • Electric Sunroof not available
  • Cruise Control not available
  • Multi CD not available
  • Radio not available
  • RDS Radio not available
  • Unique Fit Radio standard
Posted By: Towny Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 17th Sep 2004 11:32pm
best hot hatch of em all hands down!!!
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 18th Sep 2004 1:28am
i think drivin with the gear stick on the dash would be strange
[Linked Image]

lokks sweet tho would have one definetly
Posted By: Tony MK2 Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 18th Sep 2004 4:44pm
[Linked Image]
don't like the way they have the gear stick its ugly

the car looks ok though like the colour lol
Posted By: cavsri Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 18th Sep 2004 8:03pm
Yep, gotta say I'm still not sure about that gear stick.
Posted By: Crevis Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 18th Sep 2004 9:29pm
i love the car
the only let down is the gear stick looks a bit wierd becauise it is on the dash
but it dont look that bad
Posted By: PAZ Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 18th Sep 2004 9:45pm
These cars are nice...

And i have driven one, and the gear stick being there is ten times easier, you have to experience it to believe it...
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 19th Sep 2004 12:47am
I love the car. Just not the price, ain't rich enough. Heard all good things about the gearstick being were it is, so would at least give it a test drive.
Posted By: Jenga Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 29th Sep 2004 10:23am
I have one of these. I was a bit weary of the gear stick there at first, but believe me, all gear sticks should be there. Its especially useful on the Type R as its a pure drivers car. You change gear so often to drive it hard, its in the ideal place. I have a silver one, with carefully chosen mods to make it drive and handle even better than standard. Plus a couple to make it look better too. An amazing car.
Posted By: Steve Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 25th Mar 2005 12:03pm
I am not too keen on them, When I look at it it feels like the wheelbase is a LWB from a estate car or something, I believe they are quite nippy and everything, but for some reason I just cant seem to fall in love with the car, I seem to be puzzled everytime I stop next to one and I kinda look at it as if to say do I like you or not, nvm tho!!, just my two cents
Posted By: dikky5 Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 28th Mar 2005 1:25pm
havent had the pleasure o drivin 1 but 1 o my m8s took 1 round a track when the was at the dealer launch of the c4 vts and he said it wer gr8 in a straight line yet a soggy biscuit on bends!!!!!

i drove normall civic and it was 2 simular to the honda jazz 4 my liking!!! think Als got the best shaped civic of all as they look as fast as they r!!!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 29th Mar 2005 8:44am
Never driven one, though Ive been in a couple. Problem is they just seem to rev forever, and not pick up until really late in the rev range frown

Anyone been in a new Golf GTi wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 30th Mar 2005 1:38pm
Didnt really like them, was unsure about the gear stick and how long they are. Drove a standard one and wasnt that impressed. However I drove the one im in the process of buying and it blew me away, they are ovbiously highly tuneable as this goes like nothing ive driven before. Its really naturel using the gear stick where it is as well!! I have now really warmed to them. Just wish there wasnt as many on the road!
Posted By: spinking Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 30th Mar 2005 3:54pm
Not sure myself its a love it or hate it car i think love the looks but hate the drivers cabin and alot of people have em but thats also a good point cos you get to know the best mods and can also make yours look different then the next.
Posted By: dikky5 Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 30th Mar 2005 11:25pm
not sure if its relevant but we just got a 1.4 civc sport in. and the verdict thumbsdown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 31st Mar 2005 8:49pm
I love them, always have and always will smile
Posted By: scoop Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 4th Apr 2005 4:51pm
Had a civic 1.6 inspire S for 2 months over xmas last year as a courtesy car and it was incredible, gearknob cudnt be better positioned and the rear legroom is immense as there is no transmission tunnel in the way.If i was to buy a new hot hatch i wud get a type R over any of the others, GR8 car
Posted By: downwards Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 23rd Jun 2005 1:44pm
Originally posted by StuyMac:
Never driven one, though Ive been in a couple. Problem is they just seem to rev forever, and not pick up until really late in the rev range frown

Anyone been in a new Golf GTi wink
Hey Stuy smile

I seem to remember the CTR being quicker round a track than the new Golf... (top gear the other night).

Even being a massive Honda far though, the CTR is let down by a few minor points, that being, the feedback through the steering is sloppy & the steering itself is too soft.

Apart from that, fantastic, bullet proof engine, with masses of potential if you have the know-how smile

Leo.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Honda : Civic Type-R 2.0 16v - 23rd Jun 2005 2:15pm
I think the gearknob's great. All boxvans have had them for years. I had a blast in my mate's new one. more bark, less bite, they don't live up to the massive amount of hype they get.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral