Forums
Posted By: venice Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 1:24am
Noticed today for first time , a numberplate stuck on the corner of the car , not in normal centre position. OH informs me that all Saabs are like that , and a couple of other makes, and no its not illegal. Doesnt seem right that from certain angles, and in some circumstances those vehicles numberplates may not be picked up by registration cameras both for speeding or when taped film may be being used to track stolen cars etc.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 3:45am
Loads of lories have them up the top right corner, perfectly legal. It doesn't make a lot of difference to visibility if its moved over by a couple of feet.

The regs say they should be mounted vertical and specify the visibility based on the plate position, not the car.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 7:35am
Wherever they are placed the will need to be illuminated at night . Illumination is also an mot requirement.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 8:45am
Alfa Mitos are like that, but don't remember our Saabs were straight on.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 10:16am
An Alfa:

https://www.topgear.com/sites/defau...alfa4c_-_front_quarter.jpg?itok=YfeAi293

Its to allow free flow of air into the front grilles.

Sadly some look terrible when done at home:

http://s150.photobucket.com/user/egcivic101/media/DSC_1032.jpg.html?t=1286637208
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 10:18am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Wherever they are placed the will need to be illuminated at night . Illumination is also an mot requirement.

Front number plates are not illuminated.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 10:34am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Originally Posted by Dilly

Front number plates are not illuminated.

I am well aware of that,I must have misread the post as I just assumed it was rear. Thanks for putting me straight.
Posted By: venice Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 1:38pm
Are all speed cameras positioned on the same side as you are travelling then? I imagined that on narrowish roads they might be mounted on tother pavement in which case a plate on the nearside wouldnt necessarily be caught as easily by the camera. (ad hoc ones that is)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 5:38pm
Most speed cameras photograph the rear of the car, some are on the left but some dual carriageway ones are on the right, other can be swivelled in either direction.

Average speed cameras (mostly motorways) photograph the front.

All are done some distance from the car. the number plate position wouldn't make much difference - if moving over a few feet made a difference a lot of drivers would swerve through the speed cams.
Posted By: venice Re: Offset number plates - 23rd Mar 2017 9:26pm
ok, thanks .
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Offset number plates - 24th Mar 2017 9:57am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
All are done some distance from the car. the number plate position wouldn't make much difference - if moving over a few feet made a difference a lot of drivers would swerve through the speed cams.

That's right - that's why when there's a speed camera there are road markings on both sides of the road.

http://tinyurl.com/mabdwpu
Posted By: venice Re: Offset number plates - 25th Mar 2017 3:24pm
Im not seeing lines/markings other than down middle of the road? What markings am I looking for?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Offset number plates - 25th Mar 2017 7:22pm
Originally Posted by venice
Im not seeing lines/markings other than down middle of the road? What markings am I looking for?

The speed lines which are marked at 5mph intervals. Not all GATSO type cameras are speed camera's some are traffic light monitors for people that jump red lights (something that is prevalent at this time of year - I've got three on my dashcam from the last two days).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: venice Re: Offset number plates - 26th Mar 2017 12:17am
Ah, right I see thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral