Forums
Hi.

Just had my wheels refurbished. I decided to go for a colour change because the original alloys had a ceramic coat which gave the wheels a very high gloss finish, as much as I liked the look I found it hard to find a company that could do a ceramic finish.

Anyway, here are the before and after pics
Before:
[Linked Image]
Before from distance looks ok but wheel corrosion is bad

[Linked Image]
After refurb with shadow chrome finish:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've owned cars with and without alloy wheels and never been able to detect any difference in performance due to them. There are distinct disadvantages of them, however.

They are expensive and easily stolen from an unattended car so you need special nuts to protect them. This is nuisance when you need new brakes or tyres, and you are in trouble if you lose the key-nut to remove them

They are easily damaged, if you curb them, and you'll either have to buy a new wheel or more likely a new set of four, or steal one, or get them refurbished at huge expense and inconvenience.

I have a friend who managed to hit a pot-hole which actually cracked the alloy wheel as well as writing off the tyre. That might have cost him a new steel wheel - it would have buckled rather than cracking however - but it would not have been anything like teh cost of a new alloy wheel

Being anodised, they are subject to damage from flying stones and gravel and if you suffer this it looks terrible.

I think steel wheels with hubcaps which you can replace, are a much better solution. Alloy wheels are a pure vanity project. That said I have two cars both with alloy wheels. I like the cars, for other reasons and the bloody alloy wheel came as part of the deal. I would have preferred the same car at a lower price with steel ones.

Originally Posted by Excoriator
Alloy wheels are a pure vanity project.

As are many other things in life, some people think its important and others don't.
I should possibly have said 'cosmetic' rather than vanity. I mean no disrespect to those that like alloy wheels, and apologise if my post has given an impression I didn't intend.
i think they look great,wheel trims on this would look bad
Originally Posted by joeblogs
i think they look great,wheel trims on this would look bad

Haha agreed!

An alloy wheel can completely change the look of a car, 2 different alloys can give a car 2 completely different looks, imo
I think it can be hard to tell the difference. Most folk are probably not that interested in learning to make the distinction. The fact that they needed to be refurbished is an indication that they are a poor engineerng solution. Easily replaceable wheel trim is much more practicable.
Posted By: conan Re: Alloys refurb and colour change. The Wheel Deal. - 26th Mar 2017 12:16am
these look fabulous in the *flesh* lovely job IMHO.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral