Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Replacement Car Key and Coding - 27th Jan 2017 3:09pm
Any info about getting this done, Can get a car specific key including cutting on ebay but then needs coding. Anyone had one done. Timpsons seem to advertise doing them
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 27th Jan 2017 6:39pm
Timpson's are cheap sometimes for certain keys. Normal place is Morton "Lock & Keys Master" (LKM).

Some keys are a horrendous price, some are cheap, even for the same car - some years they have different systems.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 27th Jan 2017 10:15pm
I've had to pay £150 for a lost replacement Ford key. Half of it was for a procedure that took M53 Ford all of 30 seconds! It is a rip off.

New cars are as often as not supplied with only one remote key these days. If you are buying a new car, it is well worth demanding two keys just as you are about to sign the deal and be prepared to walk away if you don't get it. Don't worry, they will catch you up in the car park and agree to your demand, and if not, there are plenty of other dealers.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 28th Jan 2017 11:18am
Cheers chaps will get price off moreton guy..hadnt heard of him.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 31st Jan 2017 4:58pm
Does it NEED reprogramming?
The key to my Vauxhall went goofy (the spring out blade stopped springing). lOOKERS wanted a hundred and somethings to provide a replacement AND then all needed reprogramming - two hundred and something.

All that was really needed was a replacement for the little spring that activated the blade

I bought a "blank" replacement from China for the huge sum of £4.90 and it arrived in two weeks. I removed the blade from the original key and fitted it into the new unit with the new spring. Then I removed the elctronic "bits" - easy, they are all on a board and put those in the new unit.

Connect up and - done. Been using it now for 2 years no problems

Snod
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 31st Jan 2017 10:02pm
Cheers Snod. Actually after a second key. Only have one which works fine but was after a spare ...price dependant of course. Been quoted £110 but can get a uncut key off ebay for around £15 just a matter of coding it. Youtube throws up a few simple steps to code it for the locks but not sure about the ignition.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 1st Feb 2017 9:57am
It all depends which make of car.

Also, beware of buying blank keys off Ebay. They won't always contain the chip which needs coding (Google "ID46 chip"), and most locksmiths won't touch Ebay keys because the cheap metal damages their cutters.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Replacement Car Key and Coding - 1st Feb 2017 6:23pm
Its normally the car's computer that needs programming to match the chip (or accept a new chip).

While some chips can be cloned, sometimes this doesn't work out in the long term.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral