Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Diagnosis Route - 17th Jan 2017 12:10am
After a bit of advice regarding the best order of diagnosis

Petrol Alhambra carburettor.

Knew for a week or so something was starting to go wrong.

occasional mis fired especially when on roundabouts or just pulling away. Stalling when stopping at junction when engine not warmed up. Not starting so easily when previous it would start first time in freezing weather. Today it was misfiring on a roundabout and finally just stalled on another roundabout and wouldn't start or fire up at all.
Battery ok, fuel in it, turning over ok.

Is it best to just first check if fuel getting to carb and if sparking at plugs before start looking elsewhere.
fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, timing .
Already tried with MAF thingy disconnected as that gave me problems few years ago

Intrigued why it should happen on roundabouts ..fuel sloshing in tank?
cheers

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Diagnosis Route - 17th Jan 2017 1:24am
Trying to get my head round MAF and Carb, I think its just a throttle not a carb?

I'd pull the plugs, give it a turnover first, if fuel is getting there and not starting the plugs will be wet.

Always worth cleaning out the throttle body, sticking butterfly valve can cause all sorts of silly problems.

I've got a simple code reader here if you want me to drop it off or give it a quick run.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Diagnosis Route - 17th Jan 2017 8:52am
Cheers DD (see you were on a late one as well)will bear that code reader in mind. Just gonna try some quick start down the carb/throttle and see if that gets it firing. Seem to remember the air intake gets a slow build up of oily residue (not a lot) so will do a good clean. Can of carb cleaner should do no harm.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Diagnosis Route - 17th Jan 2017 10:02am
Could be the cam / crank sensor if it has one.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Diagnosis Route - 17th Jan 2017 4:43pm
wouldn't start with a Quick Start stuff in the throttle, took plugs out and smell petroly but they have a weak orange spark. Distributor contacts and rotor arm quite charred. scraped off but still not a sign of firing.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral