Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Cheap Octane booster... - 24th Oct 2005 10:38am
Fed up of paying £5 for a puny little bottle of octane booster?

Read on....

Been looking in to this over the weekend, and I think I have found suitable chemicals that will do the same job as an octane booster, but at a fraction of the price smile

One solution I have been running in the 200 for about 2 weeks now, and Ive yet to find any drawbacks, with the plus points being more performance, better response, and better fuel economy smile

The chemical Im using has an Octane rating of 114-116RON, and there is another available at 118RON (However, the higher the RON level, the more harmful the chemical, and all these chemicals need great care as they can be carsonogenic frown )

Used in the correct quantities, these chemials can boost optimax to over 100RON wink

Both the substances I am looking at are easily available, and cheaper than petrol wink

As I get more info, Ill be posting it.... wink

ps, this will work with NA and Turbo cars laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 24th Oct 2005 10:44am
Stuy's new look...

[Linked Image]

laugh
Posted By: Scooby Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 24th Oct 2005 11:06am
sounds very interesting matey, keep us posted....
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 24th Oct 2005 12:34pm
Also, even though I may be running these chemicals in my car, im doing so at my own risk.

Should anyone decide to put any additives in their fuel - be it the ones I mention, or any other chemicals, you are doing it at your own risk!!
Posted By: lazy_ben Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 24th Oct 2005 9:01pm
Originally posted by MisterAdam:
Stuy's new look...

[Linked Image]

laugh
raftl

Nice one Stuy you crazy dude!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 25th Oct 2005 11:05am
Right, the best chemical to use is something called Xylene (This is what Millers Octane booster is based on in very diluted quantities). However, this chemical is very harmful, carsonagenic, and in high concentration will melt rubber, strip paint etc.

Next one down is Toluene or Tolulene (Depending which side of the atlantic you are wink ) This is used to make Xylenes, but is less harmful and found in a lot of paint thinners with up to 50-60% concentration. Here is the chemical mix for your typical paint thinners:

[img]http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=18605&stc=1[/img]

It has approx 50% Tolulene, and diluted will work well as an octane booster.

Also showing in the mix is Acetone. This is what Ive been using for a few weeks. The least harmful of the three, but also the weakest.

Not only will it boost the octane rating of the fuel, it also atomises the air fuel mix better, slows the burning of the fuel, and increases economy - you can also add acetone to Dervs wink

So there ya go, Im using pure acetone, in small quantities, and have so far noticed better throttle response, more performance, and increased economy.

However, should you decide to try any thinners, Acetone etc etc, its at your own risk!!!

And should you try thinners make sure they are high in Acetone and Tolulene and have minimal other additives as once diluted it shouldnt harm the engine.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 25th Oct 2005 11:32am
...and if the pic above doesnt work...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 27th Oct 2005 5:10pm
so wot u just pull up at the pum, get ur optimax and dump a load of nail varnish remover into ur tank?????????
how much better fuel ecconemy are we talkin here like 30 mile per tank more or less than that?? and how would u dilute it, like who much would u put in a 45 liter tank??
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Cheap Octane booster... - 28th Oct 2005 8:09am
The ratio is 3oz Acetone per 10Gallons, and Ive heard claims of 15-30% mpg improvement, personally Ive seen about 10% mpg improvment, with extra performance too, though Ive been using approx 25ml Acetone per £20 fuel.

Before you use nail varnish remover, check its ingredients. It is basically Acetone, but with added extras, ideal is pure acetone, or an Acetone / Toluene mix found in most paint thinners smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral