Forums
Posted By: Tony MK2 Car crime falls says government figures - 27th Jan 2005 6:01pm
Thanks to the motor industry, says the motor industry

Home Office figures released this week show vehicle crime fell 17 per cent in the third quarter of 2004, compared to the same period in 2003. In addition, figures from the British Crime Survey 2003/04 show thefts of vehicles have dropped the most, down 13 per cent. Theft from vehicles is down six per cent compared to the previous 12 months. The survey also showed that vehicle theft has fallen 40 per cent since 1997.

Electronic immobilisers, fitted to all vehicles as standard since 1998, are the biggest factor in the reduction in car crime, according to the Home Office. Deadlocks, alarms and shielded locks also make newer vehicles more difficult to steal; with 87 per cent of vehicle thefts being of cars over three years old.

Motor industry spokesman chief executive Christopher Macgowan said, 'These figures are a positive reflection of the work vehicle manufacturers have done to make cars more secure. Nevertheless, car crime is still a problem and we all have a responsibility to drive out criminal activity. Car owners can help by ensuring they do not leave valuables on show in their vehicles.'

With vehicles more difficult to break into, the main issues are the environment in which a vehicle is kept and objects left in them. A residential street is still the most likely place for car crime to take place, while personal goods are more likely to be stolen than radios and sound systems.

Of course, what this self-serving statement, issued by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), doesn't mention is that burglaries from homes to steal car keys are probably on the increase...
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: Car crime falls says government figures - 28th Jan 2005 1:01am
Very intresting, in the words of d-ream, things can only get better. Well they look to be anyway.
Posted By: Scooby Re: Car crime falls says government figures - 28th Jan 2005 2:26am
Allot of people dont report Car Crime any more as they know nothing will come of it.......

If it is a small claim they wont even claim on there insurance due to the no claims discount.

Thats why the figures are down.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Car crime falls says government figures - 28th Jan 2005 8:33am
I reported my window getting smashed and the radio getting robbed.

Got a call a week later asking to come and get finger prints and got really snotty when i told her the damage was fixed. I told her what i thought about them.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral