Forums
Posted By: DavidB Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 11th Feb 2009 10:02pm
Thought I'd put this up. I bought Ste's crashed MR2 earlier in the week, and have spent the past coupla days going over it. I was looking for a decent 4A-GE engine for my '84 Corolla, and just ended up with it! It came with a =shitload= of dealer receipts and all MOT history!

I drove it up to Tescos, and it wouldn't start again on a new battery. Gave it a push start and it was going again:

[Linked Image]

Anyway, yesterday I struggled getting the bonnet open, and removed the wing, and today got at the rest.

[Linked Image]

The floors had gone a long time ago - 20 year old car, wouldn't expect anything less!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Didn't think it would be this bad, the mount is crumpled:

[Linked Image]

And part of the inner wing has been pushed back:

[Linked Image]

But looking at it, it's a day's work straightening it out and welding a new corner on. The nearly new crossmember is bent and will need replacing. frown

[Linked Image]

There's no saving that!

[Linked Image]

Fortunately, it hasn't touched the chassis and everything is straight:

[Linked Image]

How I left it! I've never done anything like this in this car park area, and the neighbours have been asking.

[Linked Image]

I also made use of a 'Rug Doctor' hired by the missus from B&Q and gave the seats and carpet a good clean. It really shifts ground in stuff and brings it back to new:

[Linked Image]

I've got a bonnet and bumper, just need a wing ... from somewhere. And a load of interior bits (just because they were there):

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 12th Feb 2009 8:45pm
Replaced the O-rings in the manifold to exhaust today, and it no longer blows!

[Linked Image]

The old ones were totally buggered!

[Linked Image]

A bloke called Jon who drops kids off in his bus saw what I was doing and said his neighbour had broken his crashed red MR2 and he had a wing and basically 'half a car' and said I could have the lot for 50 quid. It included glass, all the suspension/running gear, boot, engine cover, some trim and rubbers, headlights and covers, and most importantly a rust free, undamaged wing.

It was like a miracle. What's the chances of that happening?!
Posted By: AlpineA610Turbo Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 12th Feb 2009 8:59pm
That's what you call a R E S U L T !!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 12th Feb 2009 9:26pm
great to see this being repaired happy

let me know if you want to sell the dampers and springs wink
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 13th Feb 2009 11:29pm
I just can't say no to anything! Anything I'm offered I have to buy it! I've got the dampers and springs in the garage, there's driveshafts and roll bars. Haven't really looked at them yet.

Got a letter through the door at my folk's from someone who wants to sell his MR2 to me for spares.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 14th Feb 2009 12:17am
excellent mate. happy
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 15th Feb 2009 5:14am
Looking good matey
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th Feb 2009 2:22pm
Been driving this round a bit, haven't made much progress, but done a bit.
Bodged an MGF alternator on as the old one wasn't earthing (and wasn't charging).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got the alloys old paint removed and cleaned and resprayed:

[Linked Image]

Received new sills, rear quarters and front corner in the mail so will start welding them in this month some time. Fixed the niffy petrol smell by extending the tank vent pipe into the back of the car (and not the chassis). smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th Feb 2009 8:03pm
Fixed the niffy petrol smell by extending the tank vent pipe into the back of the car (and not the chassis).

Ahhhhhhhhh so thats what causes it happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th Feb 2009 11:02pm
Yeah, there's a pipe coming from the tank and it goes straight into a valve and into the chassis under the car. Valve wears out and leaks. smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th Feb 2009 11:09pm
cool, good to know, have you done anythink else yet?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 1st Mar 2009 12:27pm
Just resprayed the bonnet and bumper. smile
Been tidying out my garage tbh, I've got a skip's worth of plastic trim that needs to go!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 1st Mar 2009 6:33pm
Few more pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still needs a big load of work, but at least it's no longer half white! smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 1st Mar 2009 7:12pm
Looking good mate. Keep up the good work happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 1st Mar 2009 7:17pm
happy
Posted By: spinking Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 1st Mar 2009 8:35pm
Looking good matey seen you the other day by the halfway house
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 27th May 2009 11:37pm
I put the car on the bay of e, and was asked to take some photos of the rusty floors. I started to pick around with a screwdriver, and then got the drill with a end on it to get the sound deadening off for a better look, Before I knew it, I'd gone too far and ended up cutting out the bad bits with an angle grinder.
Not sure if it's worse than I expected, but it's never nice! I think the leaky t-bar roof's cause this much on the floor? confused
Driver's floor was welded up years ago, but was not rust proofed, so was rusted worse than the 20 year old rust. It was also welded over the old rusty metal. Totally pointless.

There's meant to be a rail running the full length under here, but it's gone - Toyota, why did you make this car so rust-prone?!?!
[Linked Image]

Driver's side is an "easy" job, there's a few patches on the back:

[Linked Image]

But passenger's is worse - all the corners are gone, under the seat rail, etc.

[Linked Image]

The front isn't too bad, the rail was totally intact. A few patches will get it through an MOT!

[Linked Image]

Hooray for my unbelievably crappy welding:

[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th May 2009 8:11am
So, are you keeping it now you have done this work smile

As long as the welds are up to the job - its not like anyone is going to see it all under there happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th May 2009 12:55pm
No, someone won on ebay and it's going to Plymouth on the weekend. smile There's no more rust and no holes. I'd deffo have another one of these but no more rust thanks. smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th May 2009 7:37pm
fook!

Shame all that work and you're not keeping it
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 28th May 2009 9:13pm
I'll be working away next month so I can't keep much anymore. I didn't really mention in the ad about massive holes in the floors, there's a couple of other things as well, it doesn't take too long and I quite like doing it. I did the other side today (got too dark to finish it properly), will hopefully do the little bits tommorow:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DavidB Re: Station : 1989 Toyota MR2 - 5th Jun 2009 5:32pm
Car was picked up today and taken to Plymouth (!). Spent nearly a week getting it looking nice. frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral