Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 2:54pm
As a few may know, I bought myself a second vehicle Just before christmas.

Well, Here she is in the Flesh, Minus Wheels and an engine, and after some TLC, shell be right as rain...

Once the engines in, she'll do 80mph in one gear, and onto 18000 rpm..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 3:32pm
Very nice! Where did you get it from?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 6:04pm
I bought it off the owner of Hooton Park, the Kart Circuit Next to Ellesmere Port Vauxhall. He was selling it on behalf of his son, who owns Modus Motorsport.

Cant wait to get it up and running though. But due to lack of funding, and availability, Im guessing thats not going to happen till Christmas, or even next summer frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 7:18pm
Gutted you can't get it sorted soon.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Whats the plans for it? Just wheels and an engine?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 8:22pm
Well I was thinking Tint The Windows... 17" TSW Volcanos..Lower it 3 mm...

Nah, Its pretty Much just Buy an engine for it. Ive got the wheels, but they werent available to pick up today. The Engine is a sealed Unit, and cant be tampered with, so no modifying performance wise...

Get my Kart Licence...one or two spares, and hopefully compete in a few races.

Only thing I need to replace is the Brake Disc, its warped, rusty and there are chunks missing from it...
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 8:33pm
May I ask how much? Just interested in what price these go for, sounds like a brilliant little project laugh
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 8:44pm
No Probs. I bought mine for £275, without engine...

The engine is the expensive part. Project wise, buying a chassis then an engine is a great way to learn. However, for an easy time (But seemingly more expensive)its best to buy a complete package.

They go for all prices on Ebay, but are usually around £1000.

Different classes of kart are more expensive however. Mine is a Senior Rotax, which are sealed units. This makes the engines more expensive at first, but keeps racing fair..

TKM engines are cheaper, but they are not sealed, so anyone cn tamper with them, meaning basically, unless youve got like £5000 to spend, your not gonna win.

Sorry for the essay, bt prices really do range, depending on what condition theyre in. Its by no means cheap, Like all motorsport. Spares make up a lot of the cost.

Hope I didnt put you off...
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 8:47pm
No am not put off, was just interested!

Keep us informed but I guess an engine update may take awhile unless you find 1k in the sofa
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 8:55pm
Precisely. Specially with having to help pay for rallying with my driver, and Being at uni as well.

If anyones interested by the way, There is racing on Tomorrow at Hooton Park...TKM, Formula Blue, and The Rotax Classes (Mine)

If your free, go and check it out...

Clicky For TrackNess
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:05pm
wow cool! i want one! i use my bike right by the track most weekends
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:10pm
Christ man, how many gadgets have you got...you must be minted hahaha

Stop stealing from Ghost Dogs Wallet
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:18pm
what can i say, ghost dog is kind to me. how much you reken it would cost to get everything i need to join ya?

i could use my new helmet cam lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:39pm
Well, no doubt if you had the time and money, youd be doing it before me...

If you want the whole package, this is what you want
Expensive / Easy Route

Or, you can do it as Ive done it...£275 for the chassis with everything, except Engine, Radiator or exhaust...The Expensive Bits...
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:43pm
2200! not paying tha
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 12th Jul 2008 9:49pm
Motorsport aint cheap or easy Bud.

Have to do it my hard, less expensive more frustrating way of sourcing the parts you need..and having people with too much time and too much money snap them up before you can have a say
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 27th Jul 2008 4:08pm
Update !!!

I may have found myself an engine...At Last !!

It isnt a Rotax as I was hoping for, its a Vortex Water Cooled engine, which unfortunately, are no longer able to race, but for testing and razzing round, is absolutely Perfect...

Ill ask if they can keep it aside for me, but it doesnt have a carb, or an exhaust, which shouldnt be too difficult to come across

Happy Happy Happy laugh laugh

(Lets hope i can get the money for it)
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 27th Jul 2008 4:09pm
Oh, and also, it isnt a TAG engine, aka push button starter...ill have to push it to get it ticking over..

Which should be fun hahahaha
Posted By: jonny boy Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 27th Jul 2008 6:02pm
my dad used to have a lil starter for his race bikes, like a motor wit a kart wheel on. He made it and later sold it for like £100, have a mooch about on ebay or make a starter pack ya self, am sure it cant be too hard
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 27th Jul 2008 9:08pm
cool, look forward to seeing it done
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 2:31pm
UPDATE !!!!!!!

Forgot to say, I picked my wheels up 2 weeks ago, Pomp saw them in the flesh, the back ones are the SAME WIDTH as the wheels on my actual car, ridiculous...

Oh, and I shall hopefully be picking my engine up this weekend, Minus exhaust and Carb..

Heres a pic with the wheels on, and my mate John sitting in it (Hes 6ft 2)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 6:15pm
Looks smart

Nice to see it's progressing thumbsup
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 6:59pm
Only problem, comparing that picture to actual ones of karts racing, I dunno if Ive got a Senior Sized Kart !! omg omg

Cadet Karts are the smallest, nowhere near that size.
Juniors are usually Senior karts, with seats moved forward

I wont know till I get my engine, and get a pic of me in the kart, cos as I say, my mates 6ft 2.

When sitting in the kart, the drivers legs are usually quite flat

[Linked Image]

Hopefully, its just John being Freakishly Tall
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 7:01pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
Hopefully, its just John being Freakishly Tall

withthat looks like it to me
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 7:09pm
Actually, my mistake hahahaha

When I sat in it, I struggled to reach the pedals properly, so theyll have to be moved forward...my bad (Also, partially do to the od position of te ankle rests)

smacksmacksmacksmacksmacksmacksmack
Posted By: spinking Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 8:59pm
I WANT A GO raftl

Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 9:53pm
Originally Posted by spinking
I WANT A GO raftl

After me dude im first doh
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 16th Aug 2008 11:29pm
Youll have to form a long orderly que, cos Ill probably want 1 Million goes when its up and running...

See, with mine, its a case of somehow getting it to the track, paying £20 for the whole day, and have as many sessions as I want during the day, considering how much fuel I have..

Corporate Karts cost £30 for 2 sessions of 10 minutes...do the math laugh

Cant wait now tho, difference in speed to normal Corporate karts is ridiculous
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 13th Oct 2008 2:26pm
sorry sorry sorry sorry

Forgot to update this....

Before I came back to uni, I asked around the paddock at Hooton Park on a race day. My Brake Disk, even though looking like death, is perfectly fine to use. I cleaned it up using some Iron Wool (no emery cloth on me) and now looks absolutely sparkling, except for the small chunk broken off it.

As for the engine, well I was in the position where I had the money for it, for 2 weeks, but every time I organised to pick it up, they became busy with racing etc...so I feel Im being slightly messed around. In that space of time, I would have easily had it up and running, maybe even possibly taken it to the track...but now I really will have to wait till Christmas or some time after that. Bit gutted, but thats life.....

(No Pics of the brake disc sorry)
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 13th Oct 2008 3:23pm
Is kart racing easy to get into? And do they sort of have track days? Ive always wanted to get into racing but found it a touch too expensive and karts could be my first step?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Mi_Craig : Deavinsons Sprint (Haase) - 13th Oct 2008 4:48pm
No Track Days as such, but your best bet would be to go somewhere like 3 Sisters Race Track, or even better (As its closer) Hooton Park by Vauxhall Ellesmere Port, and do a corporate event, or arrive and drive.

The karts they use are Twin Engined ProKarts, that push out about 11 hp...5.5 more than a standard single engined kart. That way, youll experience an actual racing track, with higher speed acceleration and the handling.

When it comes to the racing karts themselves, these have about 30 - 40 hp (Depending on the engine)..and the performance levels are ridiculous. I havent experienced it yet, as Ive not got the engine....but soon I will, cant wait laugh

Karting as a hobby is good. Once youve got the equipment, £20 for a whole days track use becomes very desirable, as opposed to say £20 - £30 for 30 minutes. The racing itself is tricky, as you need a full licence (test can be done at Hooton Park)..and the kart and engine need to conform with strict rules set by the MSA.

A years worth of racing karts can be affordable, but prices can soon rocket, and on many an occassion, prices can zoom past those needed to compete in a season of Formula Ford !!!

Also depends on age and weight...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral