Forums
Posted By: Johnny Alan rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 5:47pm
Been wanting to do a hotrod for some time and today I finally bought a 1967 truimph herald. Lawton will put some pic up for me soon. Should be resprayed by end of august with some centre line wheels
Posted By: lazy_ben Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 5:50pm
What happened to Rhys's Locost and Rhys's e30 Convertible?

Good luck anyway!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 6:10pm
bit late to change my mind now as its bought and sittin on my drive lol
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 6:13pm
Wahey! Cant wait to see this one happy

Do you know that Triumph Apreciation & Friends club meet up every Tuesday of the first month at Cottage Loaf, I went down the other day...a frindly bunch with a few nice cars Vitesses etc and Heralds, Stags... think

Tom

All the best with this project!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 6:22pm
no neva knew that am on the look for a set of deep dish centre line kind of wheels, does any1 know what the pcd is on them???
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 6:28pm
some pics, for a 40 year old its in great nick,
pics taken off my phone, so not great

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and the best bit
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 6:36pm
cheers mate,
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 7:35pm
get photo chopping mate with teh colours see what you can bring out.

great idea that and fantstic project car
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 7:40pm
Exellent great little cars.

YOU MAY NOT LIKE THIS BIT.

I helped make a stock car out of one when i was 15 years old caught fire 1st outing and never went out again.

Look forward to seeing how the build goes. Its somthing i have always wanted to do but havnt got the head to do it goodluck.
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 7:46pm
I bet you didnt tell the previous owner/seller what you were going to do with it wink

LMAO!

tease
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 8:02pm
Originally posted by Lund:
I bet you didnt tell the previous owner/seller what you were going to do with it wink

LMAO!

tease
the last owner was only 19, lol, so dont think he would of been bothered to much
Posted By: Tony MK2 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 8:33pm
good luck with the new project mate happy
Posted By: Scooby Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 10:02pm
doh
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2006 11:09pm
definately different, looking forward to seeng the outcome,shame u never finished the 7 off tho,what was the reason for binning the 7?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 12:46am
Good luck with it mate, I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome! Yeah get yourself down to the loaf for that meet, I stumbled across it last month and got talking to some of the owners, they might have an average age of 92 but they're a friendly bunch with lots to talk about wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 1:34am
I am going to be spending the next few days looking for some deep dish centrelines. Should be going to speak to pete nxt week to get a price on giving it a full respray. Any xcess rot i find tomorow will be geting cut out and will be taking it with me to work to make a new piece and get it elded in. Luckily I found f..k all requiring this so far.
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 11:17am
if you want any decent pics taken or progress pics taken then let me no mate, and ill pop round sometime
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 6:44pm
Good luck with it mate, and as scooby said, be sure to keep us posted
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 6:49pm
seen this as i drove past yesterday

good project matey but please please dnt ruin it, do it nicely its a classic an deserve to b restored wel
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 9:16pm
started striping the interior out today and I noticed the floorpan has neva had any patches which is nice. Am going to be ordering 2 new treadplates and grinding the old ones out as they are rusty although repairable the replacment panel is only £8 each. Aswell as this it needs a replacment front section(piece below headlights similar to a bumper) the one I removed to day had loadsa rot. The replacment is going to be a fibreglass one as this is cheaper and i feel is better as it wont rust again. I am hoping to get it in for its respray the end of next month. Would like to get hold of my rims first.
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jul 2006 9:32pm
I dont know if Im missing something but you say respray, are you getting it sprayed the same colour or a different colour? happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Jul 2006 12:00am
different am going for a two tone a very light blue at the bottom and white on the top. I will find a pic of the one Im trying to get it to look like for ya
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Jul 2006 12:03am
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Jul 2006 6:16pm
I just got insured at £145 a year am chuffed. As for the car im not it drives poop lol. Ive removed the carpets to expose any past welding and its had none if any the hole floor pans have been replaced as their imaculate. Purchased a new front fibreglass bumper and upon further inspection it need a new rear aswell. I had a gud estimate qoute from automotion and it will be going in near the end of august.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Jul 2006 6:27pm
nice, certianly is different, if what you say is true then this should turn out to be a monster..................but i think your copying me slighty
cough

[Linked Image]

cough
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Jul 2006 7:12pm
ha ha ha VERY FUNNY must say your car has come along very nicely but I am not as motivated as you are lol leaving mine to garages etc I just like doing the little things.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Jul 2006 6:26pm
booked it in today at automotion going in the last friday in august. That me skint for this month lol. Am going to spend some time looking for some new wheels etc.
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Jul 2006 6:37pm
Seen your motor at the rock on tuesday should turn out to be a good project.

Deffo get a smaller steering wheel maybe one of a bus raftl

Its good to see sombody doing somthing to a older car like it matey.

That engine is there just let me know when/ if you want it.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jul 2006 11:47pm
I have changed my mind on the colour am going something similar to mgzr blue. Can sum1 photoshop my car with that colour please?? Also am going to order 1 of these this wkend [Linked Image]
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 5:30pm
photoshop eh? i know its not good but base image was lo-res and i aint good at colouring white cars in

[Linked Image]

That'd look the dogs with the top half a nice fresh white. Do triumph have any liveries u could add?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 7:18pm
Could you try these colours and wheels on mine for us bud?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 7:24pm
Could you do it to mine but unlike b4 do the centre line in the same position just below the windows on mine taaa
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 8:28pm
[Linked Image]

Best i could do mate

i cant work with the angles on the wheels given mate,ive not got the skill,if u could make it easier for me by gettin hi quality pics from decent angles then i could sort u out,but with those pics i just cant do it
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 9:36pm
[Linked Image]

Cheated to do this,im tired,sorry mate but there yar,subaru blue...ish
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 9:44pm
Im going to go with the third I think cheers
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Jul 2006 11:50pm
well if you got the money to do so then why not! saw this at the rock too, i must say that when you attempt to do donuts the inside rear wheel does seem to like abit of positive camber! as for colour wise why not got electric orange? (ford st colour)
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Jul 2006 11:23am
Yes it sit with a positive camber aswell, the majority of cars that day did. I am going to find out how I can alter this. Also does any1 know where i could get lowering springs for the front for my car as the ones i found so far are standard replacments??? Any help will be great. I cant change my mind on the colour now as ive just bought a mooneyes steering wheel from usa in a metalflake blue and a chrome mooneyes gearknob will get some pics soon
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Jul 2006 11:27am
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I dnt know what i am going to do about a boss i hope i can get one for my car if not I am going to have to weld and machine the standard one on the original wheel, which i dnt want to do if it can be helped. I know i can get a mounty boss but i dnt know if it will fit that wheel!!
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Jul 2006 5:10pm
You use this as your car now dont ya! I keep seein you potterin about in it, its funny to see a young guy drivin a car like that...but little do they know (public) its being hot rodded! laugh Saw you at W. Kirby the other day lol Lovin' it...

happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Jul 2006 6:51pm
yeah that was me hey hey. Thing are going really slow at the moment and will do untill I get it back from the bodyshop as am saving and working loadsa overtime to pay for it. As for my wheel and gearknob would people find it strange that I ordered these items last wkend and the money hasnt come out of my accout. Does it normally take this long? Could it be because their in the states? If anybody has info let us know as I am getting excited getting them through the post.
Posted By: Paul R Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Jul 2006 11:31pm
I think as the payment wasnt for this country it takes 7 - 10 days for the payment to reach your statement or account. But am not too sure.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Jul 2006 12:23am
your not gettin the body work done efore the engine conversion are you? happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Jul 2006 5:15pm
Its getting done b4 the conversion matey. Their inst a engine bay as such it just the chassis so it wnt make any difference unlike a modern day car. Also dnt want to be driving a wreck lol.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Aug 2006 6:17pm
fitted the steering wheels and gearknob today had to grind the old one to pieces to remove the old hub which was then adapted to suit the new wheel. Also managed to persuade my girlfreind to order me a carpet set which is now on its way out to me awwwwwwww isnt she great. Not much to do on the interior as in the means of tidying up now. Would like to get the seats retrimed a white leather with matching door cards but the paint job has to come first.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Aug 2006 7:25pm
sounds like it's all happenin. lookin forward to seein the new steerin wheel an gear knob. whens ya carpet coming?
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Aug 2006 7:54pm
When you coming out in it again i want to see it
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Aug 2006 10:45pm
Seen your motor tonight matey love the wheel how tiny is that.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Aug 2006 10:52pm
yeah that steerin wheel is sumthin funky. you and tony don't suit it. adam does though, lol, so that means me an stuymac will tease

tis lookin good though happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Aug 2006 4:15am
Narrr, I tried the wheel, even put it in my pocket!!!

.....but after a while it was driving me nuts!!! raftl

smack Ill get me coat..... it is early, .....or late confused
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Aug 2006 3:13pm
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StuyMac:
<strong> Narrr, I tried the wheel, even put it in my pocket!!!

.....but after a while it was driving me nuts!!! raftl

raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Aug 2006 7:49pm
The car was missing something that evry moded car of this age should have. so today whilst walking around tescos I was able to count my loose change and purchase a new mod (fluffy dice) ha ha ha
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Aug 2006 11:39pm
i like it stuy, an old old classic joke...just like you tease

woo fluffy dice, no pimp mobile can be without 'em
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Aug 2006 11:25am
Yesterday I managed to remove the dash and retrimed it in a white leatherette. Also managed to make patterns to alow me to make the gear gater and handbrake gater to match. Also I have been hacking and slashing at the exhaust system alowing it to exit the centre. Wnt be completed till monday till I can get to work and tig weld the new twin tips on to the box and obtain a longer straight stainless centre pipe. Will get some pics monday. p.s if any 1 has a 80mm tacho for sale let me know.
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Aug 2006 3:52pm
wow rhys that sounds exciting, i love your new project mate. i think the older cars have more character and i could drool over hot rods all day long. i guess i feel like ive been to all the shows and seen most of the cars and mods that can be done so this is a fresh idea and it sounds great, good luck with it mate, its gonna look fantastic.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 8:56pm
been loooking at what wels are available and have decided will be purchasing these when i nxt get paid. If any1 want to photoshop them onto my can then feel free lol. Their £43plus vat for 6x13" I can sqeeze anything else under without removing the rear seat and cutting the inner arch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 9:22pm
just a quick one,
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 10:24pm
Originally posted by lawton:
just a quick one
PARDON!

that'll look great that me thinks. great chop too lawton mate
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:05pm
Originally posted by lawton:
just a quick one,
[Linked Image]
Not to sure about them matey they have more of a rally look about them than hotrod/streetracer.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:10pm
yeah I love them they will look wider than that aswell plus my car will be mgzr blue lol. Order these from tweeks friday. Bodyshop just over 2 weeks away yipee
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:11pm
p.s cheers for that lawton :cheers:
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:16pm
this one is very nice
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:21pm
I really wanted these but I just cant find them 3.75" pcd pattern
[Linked Image]

If I could then I definateley would get these over the others. Maybe I could get a four stud patter and get another four holes machined into the rim for my car so they are then multistud.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Aug 2006 11:28pm
Personally, I'd stick with the others, but they'd look better with the mgzr blue, too much hassle changing the stud pattern though?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Aug 2006 12:36am
Have a look into "Weller wheels" mate, They've got a few styles that I think would really suit this. The Samurai's got 15x8 Wellers, they only cost £40 a corner. 13" rim widths range from 4"-10" methinks, not sure whether they have that PCD though..
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Aug 2006 6:30am
check my previous posts lol. the one i am looking t getting are weller and the only designthey have for my model lol
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Aug 2006 6:28pm
Originally posted by Johnny Alan:
I really wanted these but I just cant find them 3.75" pcd pattern
[Linked Image]
If I could then I definateley would get these over the others. Maybe I could get a four stud patter
and get another four holes machined into the rim for my car so they are then multistud.
can you get them blank then get a a machine shop do drill them out?

or get a five stud conversion kit think
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Aug 2006 10:03pm
maybe purchasing one of these over the nxt couple of day so it can get fitted when in the bdy shop. Also the interior is finished now will get some pics with the new carpet in.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hot-rod-pro-s...Z009QQcategoryZ23012QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Aug 2006 10:57pm
some pics,
new carpet,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

new exhaust,
[Linked Image]

random pics
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Aug 2006 12:25am
I like it! It's coming along now...carpet, dash and console look great mate, oh and the fluffy dice rock raftl
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:09pm
[Linked Image]

I have just purchased this of ebay also have asked the seller to provide me one with a lip around the edge to allow it to be smoothed into the bonnet he said he will also cut the hole out for me. Should be with me in a few days so will get some pics of it on the herald.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:11pm
I am going to be removing one of my springs and shocks on the front as demon tweeks said they will measure the shock and test the presure of the spring and with the information supply me with a pair of adjustable coilover for the front as i want the front to sit a bit lower than the rear.
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:12pm
When u getting it fitted mate,before or after engine goes in???
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:19pm
[Linked Image]

Heres a pic of the one i purchased on another herald, think it looks gud but that my oppinion other might not like it. Scoop, all the body work will be getting done at the end of the month as its going in the bodyshop for a 2tone paint job mgzr blue and white.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:35pm
its feckin huge. dont like it mate thumbsdown although, might look better with the two tone paint job
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:40pm
i ****ing love it,just screams at u telling u theres something SERIOUS under the bonnet. MGZR blue eh? nice choice,prob wudda said scooby blue meself but both are nice
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Aug 2006 6:58pm
lookin good m8 cant wai t2 c it in person
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Aug 2006 1:44pm
it definately gives it the hotrod look but to me it might be a bit too chav, reduce the size it pops out, so the scoop sits lower down.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Aug 2006 1:55pm
something like this

before

[Linked Image]

after

[Linked Image]

maybe a little lower, but you get the general idea.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Aug 2006 12:13am
yeah that looks well better
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Aug 2006 12:18am
It looks chav?? ive never heard such blasphamy in all my life,no matter how tall the scoop stands it looks "hotrod" altho the lower one (photoshopped one) does look smarter and cleaner
Posted By: Steve285 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Aug 2006 12:22am
scoop i think he is tryin to get the hotrod look
an if thats what he is tryin to get you just proved hes acheivin it

i like it reece keep it goin mate cant wait to see it
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Aug 2006 10:47pm
Originally posted by subaru steve:
scoop i think he is tryin to get the hotrod look
an if thats what he is tryin to get you just proved hes acheivin it

i like it reece keep it goin mate cant wait to see it
Its good to see i young lad into his old skool motors love it matey.

PS as you are getting ago of my car do i get a go of yours.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2006 6:08pm
will be bringing it to the nxt meet so you can have ago if ya want lol. Managed to make a cardboard template of the footwell area on the drivers and pasangers side last night and today copied them onto ally chequer plate look guds, will get some pics up 2nite. Also managed to fit a headunit. Interior is almost done just need a few gauges, headline, harnesses and a nos bottle he he he he he he he
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2006 6:20pm
what engine are u using?
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2006 6:32pm
Rover v8 is'nt it? laugh
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2006 7:14pm
it will be a v8 though i must say have looked at a few other oprtion such as a ford v6,zetec turbo,redtop. But i still prefer the rover v8. At the moment its using the standard 1200 0-60 28secs lol
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2006 7:18pm
0-60 28secs lol
Wow! My Mini beats another cars 0 - 60! By 2 seconds! Woo lol happy

ROVER V8!!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Aug 2006 7:44pm
Gotta say i prefer stevo's chop, the scoop looks better lower. I love the look you're going for, just can't wait to see the finished thing!
Posted By: Scooby Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Aug 2006 10:27pm
Its the bollicks matey..... happy
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Aug 2006 10:43pm
zetec turbo.
you know you want to laugh
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2006 6:16pm
just been to see pete today and I suggested getting the herald sprayed like aggys but due to it being hard to rematch he suggested a white pearl, I quite like it and this it will look gud on the herald.View and opinions welcome.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2006 6:53pm
white pearls are a top colour cos they look like white silk (the shade change on the curves)

I reckon a blue blue pearl wud be great mate,like scooby blue,but with some sort of flip in there

U ok for a week on friday mate?? in the jag? remember?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2006 7:29pm
happy i like it, will make the white look 'fresh' with the blue,

is there going to be a pinstripe between colors?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2006 11:01pm
that colour is the dogs, like it mate.
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Aug 2006 8:18am
go for it rhys, i think it will look gorgeous mate.
Posted By: sted Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Aug 2006 5:40pm
wow to be honest only just heard about this rhys due to not bein out for a while but wow i cant beleive it its amazin made up for ya
keep up the good work
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Aug 2006 5:27pm
[Linked Image]

These are on ebay at the moment for £92ish 2 days to go, am tempted but they are 8" wide at the rear and 6" wide at the front, dnt know what would be involved to get them to fit but am tempted.
Posted By: Scooby Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Aug 2006 5:34pm
Very nice and cheap too.... thumbsup
Posted By: Dazza Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Aug 2006 7:04pm
Yea v cheap for slicks laugh

Buy them!
What fitment are they?
Posted By: anniebo28 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Aug 2006 5:13pm
Are you still looking for wheels?
Have a look on here www.europaspares.com or somthing like that. Companys called eruopa spares and they do custom wheels, any PCD, size ect for very cheep.
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 2:18pm
I have decided to go for a ford v6 engine as these are realitivley small in size and so would be less complicated to install. These are also realitvley cheap and I would be able to use the gearbox that come with them. Found this one on ebay.

E - Bay
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 2:19pm
Video

This is the video of it running think it sound nice
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 5:07pm
Am going to be bidding on these, am pretty detirmened to get them as the colour of them will fit in with the rest of the interior. I only want the front seats but any1 who has a e36(joe) is welcome to the rest eg carpet, doorcards, rear seats

E-Bay
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 6:21pm
lol if ya offerin for nowt, I'll gladly take em off ya hands tease - think of it as a birthday prezzie haha
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 6:28pm
very nice, drivers seat look in ok condition, could get better
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2006 6:30pm
Them mark will be able to get removed aslong as they are not tears. Think the stuff to remove them is about £20.
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Aug 2006 11:28am
not long now babe till ur paint job, bet ur well made up tease anyway see you tonight, after work love ya xoxoxox
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Aug 2006 5:11pm
Finaly got hold of some decent seats these are of a rover and are recaros. Will be fitting these in the herald tomoz and picking up my harnesses aswell. Will have to find out and book it in for a retrim for when i get my car back. Am thinking of a near white almost cream leather retrim or a blue one like it is but in leather.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Aug 2006 6:00pm
very nice, where did you find them?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2006 5:22pm
Car went to the body shop today where I removed nearly everything of the car. Am just going to have to wait untill I get it back before I can do anything else. The cars interior is all completed and when I get it back that will mean the exterior is all completed so its just the engine and drive I need to start to look into andsave up for now. Am hoping to get this done around end of december begining of january.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Oct 2006 5:37pm
spoke to pete today and he asures me it will be completed by the end of the month also he convinced me into shortening the bonnet scoop which he is going ahead with. Also due to a very nice girlfreeind found a pair of 7x14" wolfrace slot mags for the rear of my herald, front wheels are easy to obtain in the same style just not as wide.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Oct 2006 5:38pm
[Linked Image]

Will be polishing these babies at the wkend lol
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Oct 2006 6:48pm
ooooo slot mags! have fun keeping them clean and shiny!
Posted By: Pomp Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Oct 2006 9:24pm
Ooo nice alloys!!!!
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Oct 2006 9:39pm
Nice wheels matey will look good.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Oct 2006 10:47pm
got the wheels today and am impressed with the overall condition, quick trip to motorwold for some autosol polish and with the use of a drill they polished up really nice. Am going to see if they will fit the herald tomorow without the need for spacers, hopefully they will lol
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Oct 2006 7:26am
its coming on great rhys, cant wait to see it when its out of the body shop.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Oct 2006 11:20am
I s..t my self a bit yesterday. After looking at the wheels their seemed to be an steel insert where the nut sit in but 7 of these out of the 8 where missing. I was extremely worried that I wouldnt be able to purchase these anymore due to them being ancient lol. But after searching the net I phoned a company called midland wheels and he has them for £2 each with nut am so made up and relieved lol. Also Tryed them on the herald without the tyres and they went on fine leaving 20mm clearance between the panard rod and plenty in the arch. Think this will be enough for the tyre to go on. Priced the tyres and £42 each but want some Hoosier one but will have to do a bit of research into them. Will get them on asap and get some pics up
Posted By: Dazza Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Oct 2006 11:24am
whoa they actually fit on the back?!?
Nice!

Should have took some sample pics laugh
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Oct 2006 11:31am
I know I was shocked only problem is the although the nuts go on the studs the studs dnt go protrude the nut they need to be another 5-10mm longer to be safe so am going to have to see some one about fitting in longer ones. Has anyone ever had the expirence of removing hub studs on a 40 year old car lol????
Posted By: Scooby Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Oct 2006 9:24pm
They are normally on a spline with an interferance fit. Big hammer with lots of brut force normally removes them matey think
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Oct 2006 1:04pm
Originally Posted by Johnny Alan
I phoned a company called midland wheels and he has them for £2 each with nut am so made up and relieved

OOooo they do Mini stuff! Im sure my alloys are from Midland wheel spares ;D It says so in the centres anyway cool Ive got some 10" Cobra slotmags laugh not for sale tho! wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Oct 2006 5:07pm
just being looking for a few part to tidy the exterior up when it come out of the body shop. Bought these from moon eyes usa.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got 2 numberplate frames, bolts and a badge to go on the rear to replace the triumph and herald ones.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Oct 2006 5:22pm
well went and seen it tonight and its finally been started, wooooohoooooo lol. Also whilst I was on my there tonight I decided to change the colour again back to mgzr blue but this time the whole car. Cant wait, am going to try and get the interior retrimed in half white leather and half white alcantara b4 crimbo.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Oct 2006 6:15pm
Sounds cool mate, you'll have to get webby to do some flames for it smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2006 6:02pm
well fitted one of the wheels to the rear of the herald tonight whilst its in petes and it clears all of the inner arch but when the suspension drops it hits the arch as the wheels sticks out two inches from the arch. We tried to see what a mini arch would look like but I wasnt to keen on it didnt suit the car. So major arch work is required now, he's going to try and pull it out but if it doesnt work he said he will cut down the middle of the arch, pull it out and weld a v shaped plate in to the section where its be pulled apart. Hopefully doesnt cost 2 much as its costing me nearly £1500 now. Heres a pic of a herald were the arches were cut pulled and welded.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2006 7:06pm
well fitted one of the wheels to the rear of the herald tonight whilst its in petes and it clears all of the inner arch but when the suspension drops it hits the arch as the wheels sticks out two inches from the arch. We tried to see what a mini arch would look like but I wasnt to keen on it didnt suit the car. So major arch work is required now, he's going to try and pull it out but if it doesnt work he said he will cut down the middle of the arch, pull it out and weld a v shaped plate in to the section where its be pulled apart. Hopefully doesnt cost 2 much as its costing me nearly £1500 now. Heres a pic of a herald were the arches were cut pulled and welded.

[Linked Image]

Thats a Triumph Vitesse! smack

thumbsup I see what you mean tho
Posted By: Dazza Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2006 7:35pm
Near enough the same thing parts-wise arent they?
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2006 7:55pm
Originally Posted by Dazza
Near enough the same thing parts-wise arent they?

Ish! cool
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Oct 2006 5:31pm
It a herald coupe with the vitese front, so nah nah nah.lol. Been today and its not been widened in the same way as i described and as shown in the picture instead its had cut every couple of inches around the arch these have then benn folded out and are being welded back up and ground smooth. Both rims are on now and look really nice except for the naf camber angle lol. Will get some pics up soon.
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Oct 2006 5:55pm
It a herald coupe with the vitese front, so nah nah nah.lol. Been today and its not been widened in the same way as i described and as shown in the picture instead its had cut every couple of inches around the arch these have then benn folded out and are being welded back up and ground smooth. Both rims are on now and look really nice except for the naf camber angle lol. Will get some pics up soon.

Very very very rare car! cool
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Oct 2006 6:16pm
superb work, just a note hooiser don't do road legal tyres i think. when is this expected to be finished? will be awesome to see complete.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Oct 2006 6:44pm
couple of weeks till it come out the bodyshop, will look gud then but would like to get the interior all retrimed, front suspension on spax adjustables, uprated front brakes, poly bushes and the wishbones powdercoated etc. Then after crimbo the engine conversion prob jan-feb
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Oct 2006 8:02pm
Looking forward to seeing this matey.

Give us a shout and i will take you down the bodyshop and get some build photo's.

Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Oct 2006 8:55pm
cheers will do, am going to leave it till all the prep is completed, wont be long honest lol
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Oct 2006 3:31pm
ordered these the other day of ebay arrived today so will be giving them to pete monday to fit before its painted.hopefully the car will be in the bodyshop for bit longer due to me spending the money I was going to pay him with on a med cruise nxt yearlol
[Linked Image].

Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Oct 2006 3:35pm
sexual. cnt wait to see this complete
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Oct 2006 4:29pm
they'll look great on it with the new paintwork
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2006 5:29pm
been today to drop the mirrors of, he has assured me this time next week the car will be prepped and in primer ready for the top coat. Also my other bits from the states arrived today aswell just need to get some numberplates made up.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2006 6:31pm
Sounds good! What type of number plates are you getting Rhys? Old style or new style? Or do they have be old style by law anyway?

smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2006 9:56pm
can only legaly have old style plates if it older than 1973, but some people i know have gotten away with it only a few years out.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2006 10:09pm
Its a 1967 car wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Oct 2006 6:22pm
am not keeping with the old style plates, the plate frames are american size much taller and narrower, have ordered them from designaplate.co.uk, they look like what you have on a modern day car. £19.50 the pair. Think they will look gud. Just got no car to put them on lol
Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Oct 2006 7:18pm
Those bullet mirrors ooo you copycat! tease I think you will fin that you cant see anything out of them as they are non-adjustable whereas mine are adjustabele... (hmm sounds cocky?!)

Oh yeh another thing i was goin to say, uprating the brakes, are you putting disks front and back? And what brakes are you going to use?

Cheers Lund.

happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Oct 2006 6:09pm
aaahaaaaaa mine are adjustable so their ha ha ha, just large disc and calliper upgrade on the front, will use the brakes that come with the rear axle.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Oct 2006 6:24pm
also I need help deciding a colour, asked him today if he could spray it the same colour as the grey skyline he has in their similar to lawtons. I was thinking of getting something retro airforceeeeee related airbrushed onto the car. I will find a pic of what I mean if I can cause at the mo its just a image in my wierd head
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 31st Oct 2006 6:44pm
I thought you decided on the colour(s) ?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 1:49pm
Well have just gone well overboard on the heralds paint. I contacted a house of kolor supplier and have ordered the following

. 2qrt of black HOK base coat
. 4qrt of HOK Shimering Candy Oriental Blue
. 4qrt of HOK Clear Laquer
. Plus Thinners and Hardeners as it is a 2pack paint(much better and harder.

Scary bit is it cost me £530.40
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 2:09pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 3:26pm
glad you havent gone for the grey, would have been to boring to get all that work done and to go for grey,

that blue is fit and if it is anywhere near the quality of other paints iv seen them make the finish will be awesome

how long you recon now?
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 4:43pm
its going to take a week for the paint to arruve to rhys so he reckons about 3 to 4 weeks prob
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 5:32pm
the herald has now cost me

.£600 for car
.£40 moon eyes steering wheel
.£10 moon eyes gearknob
.£80 rover half leather seats
.£80 for new carpets
.£30 for mirrors
.£45 for wheels
.£70 Tyres for wheels
.£60 Pro street scoop
.£30 small detailing from moon eyes eg number plate surrounds and badges etc
.£20 New number plate to fit surrounds
.£100 new pannel that need replacing for respray
.£530 for house of kolor paint
.£1700 labour for respray and body repairs and alterations
.£30 bolts to fit wheels and triumph thread size

Total £3425 and it aint got an mot now ha ha ha.

And their was me thinking will get the lot done for £5000 seems now like I am going to end up spending double that. I came to a decision after doing my punto that I was going to do evrything proper first time round otherwise you end up spending the same again. eg had the punto kit sprayed black and then 2 months later decided on a full flip respray. Think this will be all untill christmas is over as its getting dangerously close and I hugley skint now lol. As for time he has it I aint to bothered now as its inside and out of the bad weather but still cant wait to see it.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 6:30pm
[Linked Image]

A close up of the blue
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Nov 2006 8:20pm
your not the only one under-estimating! is that actually you scoop? looks dam nice! just get more credit cards to cover teh rest of the cost! lol
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Nov 2006 9:23am
cant beleive am saying this, cuz i aint liked the car from the start. but now i think its gonna actually look nice. the amount of stuff u have done to it babe. it wont be a common car and not many other ppl will have one the same. awwww bet ur all exited xxkatexx
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Nov 2006 6:34pm
Been to day to tell pete at automotion the paint ive ordered and they are now going over the car with a fine combe to make sure their will be no fault in a few months time eg rust coming through again.Its going to cost me more money again but the guy he's getting to do the work is really enthusiastic and excited about working on it and has alway wanted to do something like this so hopefully that will mean I get a super duper job. The bottom of the doors are now going to be reskined and some areas on the bonnet. I just need a garage now so its not outside when I get it back lol.Am expecting it back 2nd week in december. Cant wait lol. Will get some pics in the nxt wekk or 2
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Nov 2006 10:48pm
[Linked Image]

Heres a pic of a rover v8 engine on ebay with a day to go £52 at the mo, only 25miles away.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Nov 2006 10:52pm
It just has to be bought then lol

hope you get it smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 8:23am
then stick this on it lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wade-Supercha...205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 9:17am
nice find am changing from the v8 now to the v6 essex this was my original intention and to fit a ro34 charger as you can buy many kits for it nice find bud will be keeping my eyes on it
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 9:44am
iirc there was a few auto grass cars using the essex v6 with supercharger they ran 230 bhp all day long with out probs,
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 1:02pm
if it is still their in a few days my mummy said she would get me it for my crimbo prezzie he he he beats aftershave and wooly jumpers lol
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 5:43pm
don't know whether this has been asked before but have you thought of insurance? there is no point throwing a supercharged v8 at it if you can't get it road legal. then again you probabily have done some shopping around and i'm just being stupid
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 5:45pm
Insurance doesnt seem to bother me to much It £140 a year now fcomp and I think this will increase to about £1000-£1500 as it wont be my main car cause I am still keeping the jag which is only £1200 a year f comp and is grp 17 I think
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 5:50pm
ever driven one? the power that it could put out, could be un-limitless, but this scoop your going for, will it not take up half of your windscreen?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 5:57pm
its been shortened its about 4-5inches high, nope have neva driven one cant wait till I do lol.
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Nov 2006 6:10pm
some pics from today,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 1:36am
cheers bud for the pics. also before any1 asks the rear wheels arnt sitting right as it had been jacked up and sat back down and hasnt been pushed back and forth hence it siting at a funny angle and is high up from the rear arch
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 3:13am
I was wondering more about when its actually gettin sprayed lol... its bin there for ages hasnt it?

smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 10:21am
yep, but have gave him half the money yesterday and he has assured me some1 will be on it full time, plus I cant give a date on it actually getting painted if I aint got the paint yet, I think 3 weeks
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 2:42pm
tease its getting there babe, wont be long now tease
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 5:22pm
looking good
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Nov 2006 6:00pm
Getting there matey.

Like the look from the front matey.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Nov 2006 7:55pm
[Linked Image]

This has just come up on ebay and come complete with adapter plates for the ford v6 also has had the nessersary shaft extended to reach past the dizzy come with the support plate and bearing aswell as the belt. So should just bolt on. Am a bit un sure as the link posted previous about the wade r034 which I thought was for the v6 says that this one is the smaller possiblly for a 2.0litre.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Nov 2006 9:27pm
spoke to the guy and he want £375 for it buy it now, he hasnt tried it and belives it to be for a v6. Think am going to bid on the r034 and get the shaft extended myself at work and get tony to machine it true.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Nov 2006 11:33pm
might be woth trying xroc and speaking to some of the 4i owners, maybe they with have more info/tried and tested ways of using the superchargers.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Nov 2006 6:48pm
phoned up the company up yesterday about my paint as i hadnt recieved it, they told may a few tins were damaged in transport so they had reordered the damaged ones and they should arrive today. Tonight I got a phone call from them aking what did I order I told them and they told me they had recieved kandy apple red. Then he told me to tell him again what I want, so I told him what I was spraying and he said I didnt need to know that.I then told him that I am no paint expert and that I dont know what I need hence why I told him the car so he could decide how much I would need. I told him that the guy I ordered the paint of adviced me what I would need for my car etc. He told me to phone them a 1 2moro. Now how the f..k do you mix up oriental blue with kandy apple red??? These are supposed to be the house of kolor experts and should be telling me what I need. Also trying to order over the phone is hard when you havnt got any product codes and no information telling me what ground coats I need with what colour kandys.I am so p..ed of if theycant get it right 2moro I will be blocking any money coming out of my account and will go elsewere. The thing that annoys me the most is that the damaged tins arrive obviously the same kandy red and they still sent them away for replacment because of the damaged tin and not because it was the wrong colour, how thick can you get stupid t..ts. Colour tone stockport your G.Y
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Nov 2006 7:19pm
to late aswell cause they already have taken the money out after telling me they wont untill it has been dispatched
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Nov 2006 5:41pm
well paint is sorted now should be with me tuesday yipee. Also went down today and all the welding is nearly finished old crash damage on one of the rear quaters was found so all old filler was removed and pannel was pulled out. Also decided the car wont be right without a nos kit so have decided to buy one of these its painted electric blue which should go with the cream/white retrim when its done.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Nov 2006 6:23pm
u just wanna kill me dont ya xxx hehe xxx
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Nov 2006 5:48pm
bottle arrived today, am a bit dissapointed as its not as shiney as it shows in the picture, think they must have used a really bright flash, still nice though. Also paint has arrived in stockport and should be with me thurs/fri. Will get some more pics of the body work update
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Nov 2006 5:57pm
How long you lookin at from when you get the paint to the workshop mate?

smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Nov 2006 6:01pm
may/june in time for the summer, their is som much i want to do including engine conversion and all running gear including a narrowed rear axle and chassis strengthening, airbags (suspension), full retrim, these are the main stages I am looking at. Engine will be the most costly as am sure I will find hidden cost
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Nov 2006 6:05pm
Sounds good though, will be perfect if its done for next summer mate!

A real contender for next years COTY from the sounds of it and its only just beginning haha!

smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Nov 2006 7:54pm
pics pics pics pics!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Nov 2006 5:50pm
just got my paint tonight and boy is it fit, 20 tins altogether well worth the £540 when you consider my rage extascy was £400 for 2 tins. Will defo use hose of kolor again, paint is nothing like in the pictures its really bold and rahahhhhhhhhh fit whhhooohhhh
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Nov 2006 7:18pm
cant believe how much stuff you got,
heres some pics,
[Linked Image]

and one of the paint,
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tony_220 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Nov 2006 7:46pm
me like smile
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Nov 2006 7:58pm
That looks averynice colour matey.

Will ask Chris for the number of the lad who has the engine matey been told its still there.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Nov 2006 10:47am
I will be buying this a bit later on today a must have with any nos kit he he he
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Nov 2006 11:25am
You may want to consider running CO2
as a purge kit, as the NOS can get pretty expensive
to blow out your vents.

CO2 its really cheap appeatently,
not that ive gone out and bought any lol...
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Nov 2006 11:32am
I am going to be running a full nos kit so co2 wont be any gud, if I was to run the purge on its own then it would be ideal, cheers anyway. Cant wait to get it back now and start bolting bits and pieces on
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Nov 2006 1:41pm
Dont forget NOS = Laffin Gas raftl
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Nov 2006 8:00pm
well ordered the dual purge kit today and managed to fabricate a bottle bracket, will get some pics soon of the bracket. Am also considering buying the blue led thingyys to show a blue mist when purging. Think am going to go down the route of a custom plate for injecting the nos into the engine with the aid of the power shot solenoids.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Nov 2006 7:31pm
[Linked Image]

Fancy geting these for the rear for when the axle and engine is changed 9x15 very fat he he he, will need inner arches removing and custom ones making something I would do myself in work.On ebay at the moment for £40ish
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Nov 2006 11:35pm
They look alright them wheels Rhys, as ya say very fat hehe!

smile
Posted By: Scooby Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Nov 2006 11:37pm
They look the nuts matey happy
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Nov 2006 3:02pm
Originally Posted by Webby
Dont forget NOS = Laffin Gas raftl

Incorrect! But correct...

The grade used on cars is different to the medical grade used for whipped cream or in hospitals

When I had nos on my bike before fitting i tried it out and it was nothing like laughing gas aulthough it did have a stoney effect, like really bad hash. I guess its just a highly flammable grade they supply for cars. Just look on ebay - the people selling minimoto nos canisters and laughing gas canisters are completely different smile

I'm a hippy dontchya know wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Dec 2006 7:27pm
[Linked Image]

Image of herald with 5.0 v8 fitted
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Dec 2006 10:23pm
steer from the rear don't you know. lol
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Dec 2006 11:36am
just bought these only £32 for a brand new nos fuel solenoid
[Linked Image]
And this cause I like the look of it and will fit the rover v8 when its fitted £18 propper edelbrock
[Linked Image]
Am looking at purchasing a 600cfm holley carb and manifold next week when i get payed, am going to be buying all my performance parts for the engine as from now so when it goes in to get fitted and rebuilt they can fit all the uprated components.
heresa pic of the carb and manifold should be able to urchase a nos plate and should fit without any problems
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lawto Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Dec 2006 7:03pm
think that looks very nice mate but would look even nicer with a supercharger sittin on top
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Dec 2006 9:32pm
found this on ebay the final piece to my nos kit it comes with the t piece used to break into the fuel line and the adapter for the solenoid, will be bidding on this 2moz only 23hrs to go and no bids so far yippeee.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: red20 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Dec 2006 11:54pm
looks like me an you could be in for some good fun next year when it comes to the car of the year as it only seams to be you an me who are moding are cars
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Dec 2006 8:41pm
Originally Posted by red20
looks like me an you could be in for some good fun next year when it comes to the car of the year as it only seams to be you an me who are moding are cars

THATS NOT TRUE SHAUN I HAVE PUT 3 NEW STICKERS ON MY CAR raftl

Really am looking forward to seeing this done as its such a good project to watch unfold keep the good work going matey.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Dec 2006 11:29pm
Its taking the piss in the body shop its now going to be jan, will be seeing my arse if its delayed again cause it going to trim technics febuary, also managed to win the injector plate and fittings for £68 bargain, so all in all the plate nos kit and purge was £400 with a better spec bottle(hi flow valve).Will be looking into geting the above carb and manifold and charger very soon so I can start assembling it all ready for the engine swap. I will get some pics of the car when I feel its worth taking some not much happening in the bodyshop on it at the moment
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Dec 2006 9:48pm
So you are telling me only you and Rhys are modding cars then?

Could you please explain to me what the likes of steveobennet for example are doing then??

There are plenty of people modifying cars, whether they are small mods or bigs mods, they are mods. Not everyone has hundreds of pounds (maybe even thousands) to shell out all at once, its also Christmas, a time when people are low on money anyway, its not exactly good weather to do many modifications at the moment and quite a few users like Lawton are probably running out of mods to do... Just like Cor7a just got a new car not only for a faster ride, but also for a new challenge...

Please take a look around the MMC's and you will see there are plenty of people modding cars, albeit not on quite the same level as Rhys.

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Dec 2006 10:25pm
it only seams to be you an me who are moding are cars

How rude doh

As for the Herald though, this look like its going to be very interesting when its done smile
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 11:02am
Originally Posted by MattyC
So you are telling me only you and Rhys are modding cars then?

Could you please explain to me what the likes of steveobennet for example are doing then??

There are plenty of people modifying cars, whether they are small mods or bigs mods, they are mods. Not everyone has hundreds of pounds (maybe even thousands) to shell out all at once, its also Christmas, a time when people are low on money anyway, its not exactly good weather to do many modifications at the moment and quite a few users like Lawton are probably running out of mods to do... Just like Cor7a just got a new car not only for a faster ride, but also for a new challenge...

Please take a look around the MMC's and you will see there are plenty of people modding cars, albeit not on quite the same level as Rhys.

smile

For fook sake matty, shaun was havin a joke. i know the likes of lawton n that have done up cars but there must be about 5 cars in the whole site that u wud wants to turn your head too. stop takin things so bloody serious will ya
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 11:55am
I didnt see anything to indicate it was a joke Kate...

Usually when you are saying something on a forum that is meant as a joke, you include a term like "lol" or an appropriate emoticon to indicate this.

Im afraid the way it was typed, it clearly was not intended as a joke. It seemed more of a dig at the site and its members rather than a joke.

wink
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 3:18pm
so wot if it was. its kk for ppl to put there views on here and thats was shaun was doin. he thinks not many ppl do there car up so that is up to him to say that.
LOL
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 3:54pm
Originally Posted by learner
so wot if it was. its kk for ppl to put there views on here and thats was shaun was doin. he thinks not many ppl do there car up so that is up to him to say that.
LOL

it is up to shaun to say that ur right, and its up to matty to say his opinion of what sean said, the post hasnt been deleted an matty is just stating his opinion of shauns post. I dont agree with what shaun said either as theyre are plenty of cars being modded on this site other than his and rhys's, such as stevebenntes mini,tupacs 200sx,stuys 200sx,jonahs veccy,scoobys new porsche,cor7as 206,lunds mini,jpohn and lawtons corsas and theyre just the latest 2 pages in the MMC forum

And people who arent modding cars ATM have their reasons,mainly money i can only assume,the readon my escort has had chuff all done to it is i've had much more important things to pay for,such as getting married and settling into my own house, i think having furnishings in my house takes priority over getting sideskirts hence why i still havent bought them

This site isnt solely about modifying cars,its about modified cars,and general car enthusiasm. And as for the car of the year next year,just cos rhys is doing the most at this point in time doesnt mean he's any more in the running than a lot of people, i'll say this now that IMO stevebennet looks to be getting my vote the second his car runs under its own power, yet shaun doesnt seem to want to recognise what he's doing at all
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 3:54pm
i think some people just see modifyin as big bodykits and stuff, im doin mine JDM style which isnt gona turn heads but im not arsed coz im proud of my car. just like rhys should be proud of this and shaun of his 200sx. evryone has their own opinions on everything.

by the way cant wait to see this when its done, ur like cruise wirrals own Chip Foose!!
Posted By: red20 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Dec 2006 5:44pm
slow down there people an take a seat an chill for a moment it was a joke between me an rhys
Posted By: tony_220 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Dec 2006 12:02pm

whistle 400bhp orange rover on 18s aint standard lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Dec 2006 5:58pm
Originally Posted by tony_220
whistle 400bhp orange rover on 18s aint standard lol

Lol! smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Jan 2007 12:09pm
havnt done much cause i still aint had the car back, have been advised that the body may need to be lifted from the chassis and all from the front section near the w-bones be fabricated out of 2X4 box section to handle the strain of the engine. Just been buying a few pieces ready to get fitted when it comes back.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The carb is a holley street performer 390cfm 4 barrel, am just on the look out for the manifolds, edelbrock ones new are £200 but their is a offenhauser on ebay at the moment.
Will be ordering a new holley fuel pump and regulator at the weekend. Fuel pump am after will do 140gph so should be plenty for what I want.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Jan 2007 3:00pm
[Linked Image]

Ordered one of these the other day from the states. Am going to be ordering some dakota digital gauges to fit into it.
Also am struggling finding out wether or not chassis need major fabrication, meaning body of job or wether it can be braced,seam welded and gussets welded in place etc. Have contacted various people who have owned a similar car with similar conversion asking for info and pics etc. Seen the car the other day and its coming on all prep work was coming to an end so shouldnt be long till its in its primer. Will take some more pics when it is. Also stripped the carb that I ordered and who ever has owned it previous has done a half arsed job of it, bolts bent, bolts broke into two then welded back together and reused, couldnt be arsed. So have ordered a refurb kit from rimmer bros and have sent all components to a injection speacialist to get acid dipped.
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Jan 2007 4:16pm
wow ur doing a torough job.there are many people who'd scrimp on things(as ur old carb owner does) but ur doing every last step properly. Must be hard to get hold of bits no? is 90% of the stuff cusotm fabricated? (engine mounts,driveshafts,suspension,brakes?)
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Jan 2007 5:44pm
I havnt got to the stage of the engine conversion but yes all mounts and driveshaft will be custom made to suit the application, v8 engine will be rebuilt along with g-box b4 instalation. Everything that goes on the car is eithewr going to be reconditioned or new. Mentioned the other day that if the body does have to come of I will carry out a slow restoration on the chassis eg everything will be powdercoated and all bushes bearing etc replaced
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jan 2007 9:16pm
Am deciding against a v8 now due to the extent of work required from the raditor mounts the chassis has to be cut away and changed using 2x4 box which is rolled to a bulb shape to clear the engine gearbox and then the use of a skyline rear is used. Scince this is my first hot rod and I dont want errors or expensive bills have decided to do this conversion instead, it was suggested by sprayforce the other day and I think this will be the easier option and wont require any drastic chassis work.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jan 2007 11:17am
Originally Posted by Scotty69
im doin mine JDM style which isnt gona turn heads but im not arsed coz im proud of my car.

Jdm all the way
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jan 2007 12:15pm
What wheels are u driving using that? is that the 150BHP 2.0?
Posted By: red20 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jan 2007 1:19pm
lovin the idea of you using the 2.0 jus have a look back at my old corsa topic an have a look at the sort of power i was getting out of mine. that is the 2.0xe 150bhp. If you do get the xe engine why noy bin all the standard inlet an put a set of carbs on there that will take you upto 180bhp an have your nos set up as a direct port system
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jan 2007 11:34pm
cool, how much does a herald weight? with the right bits and bobs you should be fine with that engine
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Jan 2007 8:53pm
I decided I want my interior cream and scince I wont have any back seats due to the size of the inner arches and the wheels they will be holding I actualy only need front seats and door cards etc. So I purchased this lot a w reg jaguar s type cream leather interior for just £10 bargain, They have a few marks but for a tenner it was worth a risk and I will see if they will go in and clean up with some rennovator etc. It is mentioned in the listing that alot of the marks are storage marks and should clean up, the rest are just crack on the drives seat.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Jan 2007 9:16am
10 quid!!! Damn where do u source ur parts

Could u customise the back seats to take the centre seat out?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Jan 2007 5:14pm
yes prob but the inner arches are going to take up[ the majority ofthe rear seat. I am not holding my breath with the interior as i emailed the guy last night asking him if i could collect tonight and would he like me to give him the money then or pay through paypal which i think is a waste of time for a tenner when am collecting the item??? and have still not got a reply and he wanted them collecting within 48 hrs
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Jan 2007 5:41pm
was there a reserve? maybe he wont let them go for 10 quid but forgot to set a reserve,but u won the auction,legal contract and so on
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Jan 2007 6:29pm
I bought some processors off ebay recently with a stupidly low winning bid (no1 else bidded so they only cost £1 lol) and the seller took a few days to respond so I thought he wasnt happy with selling them at that price, but I got them in the end.

So just give it a few days more, if they still dont respond, contact ebay.

Hope ya get em though matey they look mint!

smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Jan 2007 5:30pm
got the seats and they were in good ick untill i realised they are far to big, the subframes are huge and full of electrics so i removed the backs and base thinking i might be able to make a subframe to suit. But have now realised they will look stupid and have decided to keep with the recaros and pay to get retrimmed.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Jan 2007 6:16pm
Not much money lost then thankfully, and ya shud be able to sell em on at a profit on fleabay hehe!

smile
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Jan 2007 7:15pm
offer em to a scrappy mate? or bang em up on a mondeo owners club, for a small fee someone will bite ur hand off,and i reckon u cud get quite a sum if u held out for a serious buyer, but if u ask 30-50 quid people will take them. If my interior where cream i'd have em
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Jan 2007 8:04pm
ive got them up for free on cw and no1 wants them lol
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Jan 2007 8:07pm
well i dont know of any car they'd fit in easily and match colours from CW. Apparently the jag is very similar to mondeos tho,and i think some mondeos (ghias) came with cream interiors, and theyre big enough for such seats
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 9:44am
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just bought all of the above am going to throw away all the old dash and gauges etc, use the old dash to make a template for the new and mount all the above in to it and the send it of to get sprayed silver metalflake. Ive got pics of my car just dnt know how to get them up so am waiting for lawton to do it(hint hint) lol. The gauges are going to sit into the surround which is sandwiched into place between the gauges and the wooden dash.
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 10:46am
Nice gauges like them.

Send the pics to me if you want matey.

[email protected] and i'll host them.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 2:42pm
Just worked out how to host pics, note all chrome strip holes and badges have been removed, scoop smothed in, arches puled out and new tread plates and sills. Its almost ready for the paint, cant wait to get it back so much to do to it but I cant do it whilst its in the body shop.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 2:44pm
just to paint a picture front end will sit lower with the same wheels which are on the rear for a much lower stance
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 3:30pm
Just worked out how to host pics

No you havnt,
use full reply and you can upload them direct to our
server, then when you run out of space at the 3rd party
pic hosting, you will have to delete them.

Or when they experience busy traffic they prevent
images from being viewed at all.

NOT if you up load them using "File Manager"
See upload tutorials.

Just info, as finding time to host pictures in
members modified cars is more and more difficult,
so if you want to keep them for all to see upload
via our upload manager, direct from your desk top.

Use Reply to see these options.

Looking good rhys fella smile
Posted By: scoop Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 4:29pm
that is shit the bed good. Cant wait to see it in paint
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 7:06pm
lookin promising! are you putting bigger tyres on the back? what brakes are you going for?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jan 2007 7:53pm
the rims on the back at the moment wil be going onto the front, when i have fitted a sensible rear axle I will buy the same rims but larger and to suit the pcd of the choosen rear axle. The rear at the moment are the triumph pcd which will suit the front. Am going to be using the front hubs of the triumph 2500 I can then purchase a willwood 4 pot setup with larger discs.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Jan 2007 5:28pm
went and seen my car today and still no f..king change. Dont know wether to get the remainder of the re-spray done by some1 else what do you think?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Jan 2007 6:54pm
jib him off and go else were, unless you have said to him at the start;;;;;;;;;; time your time no hurry !
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Jan 2007 9:57pm
went and seen my car today and still no f..king change. Dont know wether to get the remainder of the re-spray done by some1 else what do you think?

i rate him one of the best around, but u no wen i was gettin my corsa done he kept putting it back time after time so i said i was goin elsewer
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Jan 2007 1:14am
Tell him its in a compertition in Feb wink

Bare in mind, alot of compaines dont like to take on
someone elses work. Make sure you do have some one else
lined up first wink

Or talk to him, and get somthing sorted.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Feb 2007 7:53pm
heres the latest pics, if it works then have finally learnt how to upload he he he.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Feb 2007 7:54pm
all chrome strips and badges have been removed and so has the filler neck. Pete thinks that the kandy blue will look similar to the blue on the subaru in the background
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Feb 2007 9:04pm
looks like this is gonna be one hell of a motor, hats off to you mate
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Feb 2007 4:28pm
looking sweet mate, looks even better in the pics than when you described it

looks like you will be getting it back pritty soon,
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Mar 2007 5:24pm
heres is some pics of my car today getting the black base coat painted, will have the candy around the doors to today but I had to go so will take some pics come monday after work.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Mar 2007 5:31pm
Looking like it's really progressing!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Mar 2007 7:34pm
have you decided on the engine yet, what about brakes, suspension, etc
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 1:19am
yehhhh its happening mate,
i cant wait to see the finished result. smile
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 1:37am
Getting there matey
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 2:58am
coilovers on the front with a willwood four pot calliper setup. most likely the redtop as for engine choice. cheers for the comments peeps
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 1:07pm
Sounds cool. Definately coming along.

When do you think it'll be done at the body shop?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 2:01pm
ma hoping 3 weeks, wont be coming out in it though as want the retrim and exhaust completing before i use it. Should be ready for the middle of summer. Come september will get the engine conversion carried out.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 3:22pm
you doing it yourself?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 6:02pm
hell no am going to leave it to a decent coach builder will be getting new headliner,door card trimmed, seats trimmed and new carpet, want a show quality finish which I wouldnt get doing it myself. Am just going to do thing like brakes etc as I only have a tiny garage and cant going undertaking any major work, the only way I would do it myself was if I had a work shop with lodsa tools nothing worse getting half way through a job and realising you aint got the right tools so then you struggle like f..k using the wrong one lol.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 6:11pm
Makes sense,
but you could go that little bit further and restrict
your self to topping up the window washer now and then wink

I'm sure when its done mate we will all be gob smacked omg
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 4th Mar 2007 9:59pm
but thats half the fun, i always get half way through a job and realise sh*t i needed that 13mm spanner from work! can't wait to see this in paint!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 5:44pm
seen the colour on the car today and to be honest it was crap. It not the actual paint job but the paint. It looks like a plain dark blue. dont get me wrong it looks nice but not as impresive as people make out looking at it it looks like a standard colour from a ford etc. Maybe I would have been better to do it with that than pay £600 on paint. When I hold the light on my phone to it though it is really sparkly but when do we ever get a sun in britain to achieve that effect lol. I have been assured though that I will be impressed when its all done and is pushed outside( in other words should look totaly different) but for some reason I dont think so lol
Posted By: red20 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 6:42pm
when pete showed me the black i wanted for my 200 is looked nomal in the shop but he insisted that i went outside an looked at it an it was total differant so id w8t an see am shure it will look amzing
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 7:19pm
But it will hopefully be done for the summer though Rhys, if its anything like last summer, we should get lots of sun and blistering heat and I am sure there will be plenty of oppurtunities for to show its worth perfectly!

smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 9:23pm
[Linked Image]
Have just bought this to cheers myself up lol, want a fancy exhaust with out a huge expense this at £35 suited me fine. It is only a trim and is meant for beetles but will adapt it to fit.
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 10:29pm
looks good mate, just had an email from ebay and thought to myself i havent bought that have i and then reliased you must of bought it, lol

will look quality on it, is it going along the back bumper? or coming straight out?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 5th Mar 2007 10:33pm
not to sure yet will have to remove one of the tubes coming of it and weld it up so it only has one inlet, the idea is to go along the back but will see how it will look along the side, maybe to short but will see.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Mar 2007 8:18pm
[Linked Image]

Decided now on doing a zetec turbo similar to what dazza was doing, choose this route as their are so many easy options getting the zetec rwd. The turbo is okay but one of the seals are damaged so will be ordering a complete kit soon.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Mar 2007 12:06am
Sorry if am sounding dumb here, im tired and havent looked back through the thread, but does that mean you will putting a Zetec lump into the beast now matey??

smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Mar 2007 4:36pm
are you doing a budget build spacer plate conversion or a full rebiuld on the zetec?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Mar 2007 5:13pm
nope will be buying a set of low compression forged pistons, about£4-500 a set. Will be using the standard rods though. Am going down this route as it will mate up with the type 9 gearbox. Am a bit unsure about the inlet which one to use?? think its the 1.8 zetec intake of the XR2i
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Mar 2007 6:32pm
got the turbo bug too have you! anymore pics on the paint?

with the zetec turbo, have you any plans for it i.e what boost you will run and around what power you want it to put out?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Mar 2007 7:05pm
would like between 200-250bhp, I like the zetec cause it so easyily suited to rwd, whereas all the other engine types arnt. I was thinking of a red top but I this I need the sound of turbo shatter lol
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Mar 2007 8:59am
would like between 200-250bhp, I like the zetec cause it so easyily suited to rwd, whereas all the other engine types arnt. I was thinking of a red top but I this I need the sound of turbo shatter lol

250bhp in that will be veryquick matey.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Mar 2007 6:54pm
std rods will cope with 300bhp, anymore is a push.

try passionford for more info as alot of people are doing these conversions,

efi or standalone management?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Mar 2007 9:30pm
[Linked Image]
Just got this, will be polishing it up in work when it arrives. Yes will be using the EFI system seems to be okay and much cheaper.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Mar 2007 10:57pm
no offence here but that charge carrier will be pointing towards the back of the car when fitted, or are you going to modify it to face the other way?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Mar 2007 5:12pm
that is a point I never thought about lol your right cause the engine will be length way wont it he he, will be able to alter it in work
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Mar 2007 8:05pm
whens the paint finshed?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Mar 2007 8:54pm
Heres some pics of the paint on the car and the colour.
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Mar 2007 9:45pm
Thats a verynice colour matey.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Mar 2007 7:25pm
copy cat! nah looking nice, i can't wait to see this in the sun, should sparkle!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Mar 2007 7:33pm
nice colour, will look great when it's done
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Apr 2007 6:39pm
Before
[Linked Image]
And after loadsa hard work we have this
Posted By: jonah Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 1st Apr 2007 8:52pm
oooooooooooooh shiny, lotta work gone into that mate ! looks well nice !
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Apr 2007 5:07pm
Looking good Rhys, we cant wait to see it in the sun.
Your teasing with those pictures.

We want to see more.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Apr 2007 1:15pm
been asured it will be finished in two weeks, its just been wet sanded and is ready to be painted now. Also have ripped the headliner and more interior bit for him to now spray the inside aswell. Went to car connections in wallasey and they are going to autyomotion this afternoon to price up giving me a full cream leather retrim, door cards, seats, headliner, carpets and a few other small bits he qouted me £900 for the seats so am expecting it to come in a £1500 for the lot. Was going to go for half leather and half alcantara but I was steered away from it as was told it was difficult to keep clean. Will be getting the retrim done when I get back of holiday in a few weeks.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Apr 2007 2:54pm
Exciting Stuff happy
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Apr 2007 1:24am
been asured it will be finished in two weeks, its just been wet sanded and is ready to be painted now. Also have ripped the headliner and more interior bit for him to now spray the inside aswell. Went to car connections in wallasey and they are going to autyomotion this afternoon to price up giving me a full cream leather retrim, door cards, seats, headliner, carpets and a few other small bits he qouted me £900 for the seats so am expecting it to come in a £1500 for the lot. Was going to go for half leather and half alcantara but I was steered away from it as was told it was difficult to keep clean. Will be getting the retrim done when I get back of holiday in a few weeks.

SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT

They did my mk 1 xr2 9 years ago and did a top job.

Won me 2 second plces in a comp i shouldnt of been in.
Posted By: lawton Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Apr 2007 5:31pm
sounds good mate, cant wait for it to be finished, been in there a while now
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 4:49pm
should have my car this weekend. Started on the engine side of things today. Purchased a rover t16 inlet and injector rail which I have started modifying to fit. also the t3 turbo I purchased was sha.ed to say the least so have now got a t25. I am going to purchase a adapter flange to get it to fit the escort rs turbo manifold. Also I need a zetec inlet if any1 has one they want to donate.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 4:56pm
sounds cool.

any pics?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 5:40pm
heres some pics
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 5:47pm
1st pics shows the parts have collected for the zetec turbo build
2nd pic shows the t16 manifold end section removed, when I get a rs turbo throttle body I will be machining a ally plate to suit which will then get tig welded into position. Using this manifold as it has end fed injectors unlike the zetec plus it prevents me using the crossover pipe.
3rd pic shows the actual manifold going from the rover block to the plenum chamber. The engine side flange is going to be machined of and a zetec one welded into position. This works well as the ports match well.
4th Shows the t25 turbo nicely obtained from tony 220(thankyou tony).

Note: If any1 has a old zetec inlet manifold they want to give to me or sell cheap so I can destroy it please let me know.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 5:47pm
Is the body work finished yet ?

I think your kitchen floor is so clean happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 5:49pm
nope not as of yet but he promised me if it aint done by friday then he will do it for free. Bit annoyed though that it was out in the rain the other day.
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th May 2007 8:01pm
seen the colour on the car today and to be honest it was crap. It not the actual paint job but the paint. It looks like a plain dark blue. dont get me wrong it looks nice but not as impresive as people make out looking at it it looks like a standard colour from a ford etc. Maybe I would have been better to do it with that than pay £600 on paint.

just read your whole thread, sounds like its gonna be a wicked car
You said its a Kandy right?> if so they probably put too many coats on it, as Kandy gets darker and darker the more coats you use, my roof has one coat, was gonna leave it like that, but couldnt resist the flake, i've got about 10 coats of paint on my roof alone!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th May 2007 7:25am
johnny why not redrill the head and retap it so the adapter plate is not needed, not that hard to do.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th May 2007 7:42am
I will be redrilling and tapping the head on for the exhaust manifold. Dont want to use an adapter plate for the inlet side, easy enough to weld a zetec flange on the rover inlet manifold and the get it skimmed flat again to remove any distortion caused from the heat when welding. This way it looks like it was meant to be.cheers anywayz
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th May 2007 8:14am
Good to see this still moving on mate, after the time waiting for it to get painted, I thought it had all gound to a halt frown

....good to see it hasnt happy
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th May 2007 10:05am
Same as Stuy, at least its moving forward smile

Another 4 months and you would have had a Years Fee Parking lol. wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th May 2007 7:57am
This is the rs turbo throttle body which I have to make a plate up for which will then get welded onto the end of the rover plenum where I choped it off.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th May 2007 8:10pm
[Linked Image]

Just got these for £50 of ebay, have a full set of slotmags now being 13"x7" front and 14"x7" rear should look okay.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th May 2007 8:21pm
should look sweet.

whats next on the list to get?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th May 2007 8:22pm
the car back from the body shop lol.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th May 2007 8:23pm
has the car bin fully sprayed now
Posted By: learner Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 25th May 2007 7:02am
dont no we r on hoilday!!! was suppose to be done firday but its takinh the piss now grrrrr
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 25th May 2007 5:48pm
Hope he gives you a good discount the amount of time he has taken.

I wont be taking mine there when the kit goes on nextyear not the amount of time yours has been there matey.

Hope its worth the wait though looking forward to seing it on the road.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:28pm
Well heres is some more pics with the new wheels on the front, turned the tyres on the rims so the white bfgoodrich writing is on the outside as shown. Also look how bad the camber is on the rear lol. Crappy leafsprings
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:30pm
oh yeah also still isnt painted lol. He said he thought I was away for two weeks meaning I get it this weekend( I doubt it very much lol). He has sprayed all the inside now a cream colour which I asked for to go with the leather retrim.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:33pm
Which bodyshop is it in again? I think the lack of service is absolutely absurd! He should be doing for free now if he hopes to come away from this with any sort of reputation...
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:52pm
I know he takes ages but he does an amazing job which I have yet to see from others. You would have had to seen the quality of the job on my punto to know what I mean. but yeah he does take ages. Need to drop the front suspension on some spax coilovers now
Posted By: Steve285 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:54pm
looking good mate cant wait to see it finished or just sprayed
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 4:55pm
That undercoats growing on me raftl

Small steps & Free Parking smile

Its going to be amazing thumbsup
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 5:14pm
is he respraying the top again.... cos you wont get a colour match with a candy paint (candy cant be blown in) unless he can reproduce the same conditions, he had when he sprayed it i.e. temperature, oven times and mixture of the paint exactly.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 5:27pm
He has only done around the edges where the windows go so you dont see any masking off lines around the window seals etc.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 5:30pm
raftl at the rear camber

What you gunna do about that?

It's been in far too long!

Even though you knew he was gunna take long, I bet you didn't expect this long? lol
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 6:11pm
I thought about 3 months originally no anything is possible lol.
Am going to leave the back axle as is and run a stupid amount of bhp through it until it goes bang then will get a jag irs installed cause they are a piece of piss to fit can handle a loada bhp and give a good ride.
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th May 2007 10:53pm
Reese with the camber like that you will have no problem drifting it.

Glad to see some progress is happening.

Can you take me out in it once its sorted think it will be a great car.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Jun 2007 1:11pm
well was told last night by automotion that my car will be in paint by today for me to put together well guess what they are now conviniently closed. So have tried phoning his mobile no reply. So sent a messag and my mum left a meassage on his answer machine giving him 7 days notice to get it done or I will be giving it to some1 else to get finished. i think he has took the piss to much now and for £2000 it not like its was priced as a favour to me so I shouldnt have had to wait.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 2nd Jun 2007 4:17pm
bloody hell mate sounds like you having some problems bet you can not wait to get your hands on your car again hope it all works out for you
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Jun 2007 11:35pm
2k for a respray.............. and this much aggro not for me mate ask for a discount.

what's happening with the power plant, still zt? if so pm for info seen somit you might like
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Jun 2007 5:15pm
well heres some pics of the car now its been painted. Also just bought a powerflow box and got some stainless pipe and bend to conect my side pipes. Note the car hasnt all been buffed up and has dust settled on it.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Jun 2007 5:27pm
my mum left a meassage on his answer machine giving him 7 days notice to get it done

bless !
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Jun 2007 5:34pm
I know sanchez my mums great but your mum is even better. She is that good she even cleaned up the bottles full of piss ya had knocking around ya bedroom lol
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Jun 2007 6:19pm
yehhhhhh its changed colour wink
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Jun 2007 7:05pm
abit of cut and polish, and that'll shine like glass! glad to see some colour on it!
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Jun 2007 12:02pm
Looks the dogs danglies in theat colour, love it.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 7th Jun 2007 6:50pm
lol, its coming on nicely any hows, take it your still whacking the red top in it ?
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jun 2007 6:12am
Very nice colour like it alot.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jun 2007 8:18am
About time too!!!

Nice colour matey smile

Andy - Hes going for a Zetec turbo now wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jun 2007 4:44pm
Have managed to make a adapter plate for the rs turbo throttle body which was welded onto the chopped rover plenum. Also have had the original rover inlet manifold flanged machined off to give me a clean square edge to weld a zetec flange on.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jun 2007 12:09pm
have you thought where the intercooler is going to go as the tb is going to be facing the rear of the engine, if not would it be able to rotate the rover inlet so the tb is facing the front so that you don't have to run alot of pipe from turbo to intercooler then to tb.
Posted By: fisher Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jun 2007 1:51pm
WELL SWEET LAD
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jun 2007 3:02pm
It doesnt really matter to be honest as I will be looping it around the back of the engine to the turbo and intercoolers. It impossible to get the inlet facing the otherway without major expense. As you have guessed am not using the crossover pipe anymore so if any1 wants one give us a pm. Just sprayed the plenum today and it looks original. Been to automotion today fitting the car back together. Fitted the bullet mirrors which look okay but hard to see out of will put some pics up soon.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jun 2007 3:03pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Jun 2007 5:15pm
yesterday I bought a end of roll carpet. Using the original horrid rubber mat that use to be in the boot I was able to create a pattern. I then sent it to castle carpets in wallasey where the stiched all the way around it for £8. Am well impressed with the finished item. It shown in position with my fuel cell and nos tank.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Jun 2007 5:26pm
very nice rhys - its almost like your in fast forward now wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Jun 2007 5:28pm
looks smart thumbsup

love the colour of the car. I see what you mean about it looking wet, looks great though.

where you keeping it now? still in automotion?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 12th Jun 2007 12:58am
i'd just turn it round, you will find that with the exta pipe work approx 2 say will make the car alot more laggy, sayin that tho what about a impreza ic on the top of the cam cover lol
Posted By: Surfergirl89 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 14th Jun 2007 2:00pm
Looking good now rhys, been a while since i've been on here but it's deffinately coming on well :-)
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jun 2007 4:18pm
the extra paint arrived today so will be going to drop it in 2morow to get finished. hopefully then I will start puting all the seats etc back in. Heres a pic of my wing mirrirs fitted.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jun 2007 4:29pm
Definately progressing mate, can't wait to see it in the flesh smile
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jun 2007 5:55pm
I can now imagine youre churpy little face in it rhys smile
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Jun 2007 11:12pm
Like them matey wasnt to sure if i would but they look good.

Posted By: Lund Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Jun 2007 9:19am
Dont do it!! Putting wing mirrors on as door mirrors! Ive heard lots on people on the mini forum complain about not being able to see out of them! They all take them off and put adjustable bullet mirrors on or something different...

my 2p hand
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Jun 2007 4:28pm
spent the day at automotion puting the car back together, bit of a nightmare trying to remember what bolt goes where plus they are all unc thread sizes. fitted all the windows and fuel tank etc. It was getting flattened to day and buffed up. Looked really smooth where it had been done. Heres a pic of the side pipes fitted not: need slight adjustment to create a perfect line with the car.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Jun 2007 7:17pm
Looks good, wish it was a wider shot?

But you could be only showing snip its to keep us guessing.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Jun 2007 7:36pm
think he teasing us with close up big lol looking good mate thumbsup
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2007 2:47pm
just bought these for £30, 15x10 very fat and will require me to fabricate new inner arches to accept them. bit unsure what the holes are for around the edge but will have to see am collecting them later.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jul 2007 4:39pm
maybe the holes are for a disc to be bolted to check to see if the tyres have moved while under acceleration?

or you could ask the person you are buying them off lol
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Jul 2007 5:34pm
didnt get them wheels in the end, he contacted me telling me some1 offered him more so I left it. In the mean time I have decided to get the bulk head of the herald resprayed due to a load of brake fluid spillage at some time in its life. At the same time I stripped the master cylinders fitted a new seal kit, polished them up to an okay standard and resprayed the cap and cylinder bracket black also fitted new rubber boots. Need to fabricate a alloy battery holder now.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Jul 2007 5:41pm
that looks like a shoe horn
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Aug 2007 4:49pm
heres another pic of it in the body shop with the pipes on all interior in place and windows etc fitted, will be getting finished this week, then of to get the retrim.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Aug 2007 4:52pm
that looking well sweet mate bet you can not wait now till it all done thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Aug 2007 4:57pm
That looks fookin sweet.

How you getting on with the engine?
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Aug 2007 5:29pm
lookin good mate, should have that manifold by the weekend if u still want it mate
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2007 8:11pm
heres a pic with all the front end together now. Went to tweeks to day and got hold of some braided hose and a high flow fuel filtter to allow me to connect my fuel cell. Also needed a breather to prevent any vacume. Also most major mod I have just bought a willwood 4 pot big brake kit comprising of 2 callipers brackets, discs and all other fitting aswell as a set of fast road spec pads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Aug 2007 8:53pm
Looking good Rhys,
I like the way were seeing the "Dusty" pics so it looks
1,000 times better when polished wink

Will it be ready for city of culture ? 2008 wink
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Aug 2007 12:03am
heres a pic with all the front end together now. Went to tweeks to day and got hold of some braided hose and a high flow fuel filtter to allow me to connect my fuel cell. Also needed a breather to prevent any vacume. Also most major mod I have just bought a willwood 4 pot big brake kit comprising of 2 callipers brackets, discs and all other fitting aswell as a set of fast road spec pads.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had them on my mk1 xr2 and they are great matey stop you on a penny.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 5:07pm
well have made a bit of a rash decision on engine the other night, it was suggested to me a while back on using a kseries engine and a type 9 gearbox using a bellhousing supplied from cateram. I started thinking and decided to phone my mate tony who has a metro gti sitting on his drive £75 and its mine. Will be pulling the engine out at the weekend. Performance wise it produces 105bhp. I think this will be plenty but if it isnt I would then be able to easily change it to a 1.6 or 1.8 version as they are identical. Herald should also be finished friday. Heres a pic for now.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 5:19pm
why are you changing the engine again? is it an insurance thing or just that you want it on the road now?

with this being your show car an elobrate turbo engine would be nice to see under the bonnet wouldn't you think?

its a nice car, i judt think you shoud have the oomph under the bonnet to match that scoop.
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 5:24pm
looks nice, personally i'd of gone zetec with a type9,(for keepin costs down) theirs a 1.8zetec in LJ scrappy in b'head for a little over a ton (i was gonna have it, but am going for a supercharger now)

k series were cool at first in the 90's but are a bit old and long in the tooth IMHO, i reckon new skool cool is where its at XE, zetec, duratec or even YB if you've got deep pockets lol what about a rover v8 or small block, should go in with no hassle?

i have a type9 in mine, and tbh am regretting it a little the ratios are too long, for a fast road car (if thats your plan) but hopefully i'll sort that when i get my LSD differential

ps keep up the good work, and lets see more pics
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 5:50pm
Originally Posted by turbo_stu
why are you changing the engine again? is it an insurance thing or just that you want it on the road now?

with this being your show car an elobrate turbo engine would be nice to see under the bonnet wouldn't you think?

its a nice car, i judt think you shoud have the oomph under the bonnet to match that scoop.

You are right in what you say but I am a bit inpatient. It been siting in the bodyshop for 13months now and whant to get some use out of it for the money I have been throwing at it. Let face it their is no point throwing money into something if your not going to get anything back lol. I have to say though that the 1.4 k series is plenty I would have thought. I remember when tony used to bring it down the cruise and he would take any1 on who wanted to race him. Plus I will be running 50bhp nos which is what it was running on when he used to come out in it. I do agree with you about the scoop at the time when I bought it I was planning a v8 but afetr a bit of research I have gone about my first rod the wrong way getting bodywork sorted first. I should have really had a fully boxed chassis made up and everything swapped over and then a respray but unfortunatley I didnt and I dont want to take any steps back as I will be loosing more money.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 6:00pm
I think were all excited for you Rhys,
after all we were with you when it went in and we have all been watching like expecting fathers for the end result, your little baby....

At last the end is near thumbsup

Looking really Nice.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Aug 2007 8:09pm
13 months is nothing! i've lived without a car for over 2 years now! i know the impatients, after seeing my car straight from the bodyshop all i wanted was to get it on the road right away!

i've taken so long as i'm building the car how i like it, as are you. we all know the minute you start chucking money into your car your never going to see it back, hell i'm sure i've chucked over 5000 into mine already and have only drove it 1-2miles in these 2 years.

my point is although you may want to drive it and get some use out of what you have spent, you will feel alot better if you haven't of rushed it.

just make sure you don't get it on the road and wished you'd have spent more time sorting out an engine.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 22nd Aug 2007 7:17am
tbh i would use a 2.0 zetec, atleast then when you come to fit a Zetec turbo the costs could be kept down.

no dowt you will go for the metro then blow the engine up then go for a 2.0 zetec. while wasting more money....

only my oppinion but a sensible one at that.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2007 5:21pm
Heres a few more pics I took today whilst I was fitting new window seals and doing a few bits and pieces. really need to get some 245 rear tyres as they look really narrow compared to the front which are 225, they are 195 at the moment.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2007 5:24pm
Lookin great that Rhys, glad to see it coming along now. Can't wait to see it on the road!

thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2007 5:30pm

yes

Looks great looking forward to seeing it.

Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Aug 2007 10:38pm
nice flatened paintwork there, awaiting compounding and a lavashing of wax!
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Aug 2007 7:35am
Sweeeeeeeeeet! Looking good mate, bet you're getting more imapatient the closer it gets to being finished!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Aug 2007 8:30pm
Well finaly removed the engine this weekend and managed to get it fitted into the herald heres the lates pic.
[Linked Image]

ha ha ha only joking, almost removed the engine just waiting for a engine hoist now to lift it out of the metro. Heres a pic of one fitted to a spitfire which shares all the parts with the herald.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Aug 2007 8:45pm
look at that vast ammount of room around the engine! plenty of space to throw some more cylinders in!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2007 5:18pm
not that much, to get the k series in he has had to cut and fabricate a new bulk head remov a area of the chassis rails, reposition and modify the peddal box. Any bigger would cause over hang at the front affecting the handling. But if handling wasnt an issue then yes you could put almost anything in.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Aug 2007 5:24pm
Also was promised the car for this weekend, then I told them I wanted it by this weekend etc and he has assured me that it will be done friday, so I have now had to write another letter saying that I will be collecting the car this friday completed or not. am sure I could find another bodyshop who would finish the polishing off.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:10pm
well it has finally finished, and have organised for it to be trailored to mine tommorow, thanks to jay. will make a start at the weekend removing the old engine and the front suspension. Heres some pics of the finished article
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:11pm
also heres are my willwood calpiers that arrived the other day.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:17pm
looks well smart.

love the colour.

just hope you dont damage the paintwork working on the engine
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:22pm
cheers, think it will be a dead cert that the paint will get damaged. not to keen on my exhaust to be honest think it would look better without it. May just fit to tailpipes on the rear, one each side.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:28pm
looks spot on matey

Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:39pm
LOVE THE COLOUR.

What you doing about the rear camber????

Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:43pm
you can buy a weld in kit which allows adjustment of the rear camber either that or remove one of the leaf springs to destress the rear, but I prefer the first choice as it allows acurate adjustment
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:48pm
Pitty you could fit a adjust camber arm off the s13 as they are only cheap.

When do you think you will have the engine in and running.???
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 6th Sep 2007 5:56pm
Looks great Rhys at last thumbsup

Not sure what to do with the exhausts,
i like them and i don't and i don't know why??
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Sep 2007 3:37pm
well finaly got the car back the other day and have spent the weekend puting bits and pieces back on it, overall the paint job isnt bad but not as good as I would have wished. heres some pics.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Sep 2007 3:39pm
any1 know why my pics have come up as a link?
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Sep 2007 5:56pm
2 big a think o it resizes in 2 a link
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Sep 2007 6:23pm
looks good rhys, why isnt the paint as good as you hoped? better result with tha punto?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Sep 2007 9:30pm
well so far this weekend I have managed to fit a wilwood quick release hub for the steering wheel. Also managed to connect fuel tank and after 30sec turning over the car sprung back into life again. sound okay but could do with a service which I will carry out over the next few weeks. Also will be removing the front suspension to get powder coated and will be going back with polybushes and spax coilovers along with my 4 pot kit. Then MOT and get a bit of fun out of it whils preparing parts for the engine swap.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Sep 2007 9:32pm
good work mate you got to be please with all the work you done thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 15th Sep 2007 9:48pm
I think your falling in love with this car now wink
The TLC is coming out of you happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 9:26am
great stuff.

wheres it gunna be parked up while you work on it?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 1:04pm
i have been able to hire a garage of an old couple at the back of our house, I am able to go through the back gate and come out directly by the garage. I have been driving it around to are house when wanting to do any major jobs as the garage has no electric supply but I could if I wanted run a extension lead down our back garden but it is to much hassle. Managed to fit the clutch cylinder and bleed it today so it is now drivable with only a handbrake lol.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 3:33pm
Heres some more pics today after cleaning it, note the skill involved to create the effect of the frontal view pic lol shear luck really was turning my phone around as it took the picture lol.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 4:16pm
shes looking nice and shiny now mate, when you going to put her on the road? be nice to see her in the flesh!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 4:50pm
possibly after crimbo, I want to sort my suspension and fit new carpets and headliner, fit new harnesses, and do a few cheap engine mod to the stock engine for now. Am going to purchase a set of twin carbs of a spitfire 1500 later on tonight and hopefully next weekend will have them fitted along with a k&n and give it a service. Ive got the engine out of the metro now and am just waiting for a few parts to come up on ebay such as bellhousing etc.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 16th Sep 2007 5:31pm
wow kinda sums it up for me wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 4:53pm
well decided to do away with the old palastic bottle a pump action and fabricate my own in stainless. It was made from tig welding two end caps to a length of box section and a few other bits and pieces. I then removed the old washer motor from the metro along with the seal and measured the hole the seal sat in. I then drilled the fabricated washer bottle to suit. have tryed it and works well. For the lid I got a mate to turn a piece of nylon to suit and to fit an o ring for I tight seal
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 5:05pm
Nice one Rhys.

As i said your getting into it now smile

Thanks for keeping us updated mate smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 5:19pm
Looks good, how you going to know how full it is? just keep filling it up to the top?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 5:51pm
yep, same as the original it only hold about a litre like the original so wont last long. I was going to put pipe fittings in the side and attach a clear tube so it is easier to visualy check but thought I was taking the washer bottle ideas a bit to far for a 40 year old car lol. Just polishing it up to a mirror finish now and will put some pics up later. Serviced the engine today and purchased a polished alloy rocker cover. Also bought a carbon look battery box which was also fitted to the bulkhead. thought this was quite expensive at £61 for a piece of plastic.
Posted By: Wheels Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 5:51pm
wow well done mate.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 6:47pm
heres is the polished article afetr alot of hard work and a really hot drill.
Posted By: Wheels Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 7:30pm
well impressed.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 7:32pm
looks good fella
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Sep 2007 7:51pm
great stuff, looks brill
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Sep 2007 5:13pm
what gear box you planning on using?
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Sep 2007 5:41pm
Good work Rhys as always wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Sep 2007 9:22pm
[Linked Image]
just got these for my front wishbones, only realy require my shocks and springs now before I rip the front suspension setup of and rebuild it all.
Posted By: Wheels Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Sep 2007 10:52pm
man i wish i was buying shiney bits for my car.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 24th Sep 2007 11:18pm
heres is the polished article afetr alot of hard work and a really hot drill.

Thats like a mirror Rhys matey, great work!

smile
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Sep 2007 12:13am
Sweet as always matey.

Get it running quicj as car of the year is only round the corner matey and there are (on my eyes) only 4 peps in it this year.
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Sep 2007 3:46pm
lookin good rhys, car of tha year, 4got abowt that, lol

whos your top 4 tony mate?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Sep 2007 7:01pm
well last night removed one side of my suspension and today went down to birkenhead powder coatings and left it all with them. Only want £70 thats for all my suspension parts and hubs and engine valances, they will send them away and get them sand blasted and then will powder coat them gloss black. will get some pics up when get back of holiday. Thought it will be better to go their and wait a week than go and get them resprayed in a bodyshop and wait 1 1/2 years lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 28th Sep 2007 7:05pm
Lol I see your point about bodyshops haha! They really took the pi$$. Oh well, cant wait to see this at a meet, sounds like tis all starting to come together.

thumbsup
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Sep 2007 7:48pm
I am hoping to get the front and rear subframes later nextyear.

Were abouts are they matey
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Sep 2007 8:58pm
Originally Posted by spinking
I am hoping to get the front and rear subframes later nextyear.

Were abouts are they matey

Cathcart street just past lvw (senars).

Also my new shocks, complete new bolt kit for front suspension assembly and bushes arrived today. also ordered new wheel bearings and new stub axle as the threads on the old one was damaged and it had scoring where the inner race was rubbing. Am going to be purchasing alloy blocks for the steering rack and some polybushes for the front rollbar when I get back.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Oct 2007 5:30pm
went to tweeks today and picked up a set of spring 9 inches free length and 300lb rating recon this will give the front a 2" drop. Also am negotiating a price with the a guy who has a spitfire with a mini cooper s supercharger conversion, he is no longer using it as the car has been a right off.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Oct 2007 9:52pm
Lets hope you get it for a fair price wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Oct 2007 5:23am
£300 picking it up next weekend
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Oct 2007 10:11am
Will it just Drop in so to speak ?
Or more work ?

£300 is that a bargain or a fair price ?

Glad you got it anyway smile
Posted By: spinking Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Oct 2007 10:14am
Verynice.

You have pm matey
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Oct 2007 8:17pm
Well have managed to get my parts back from getting powdercoating and have now assembled all of one side of the suspension with all new bushes etc also here is a pic of the supercharger kit which he got out of his shed lol.Think it is worth the money.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Oct 2007 9:29pm
very nice.

looking forward to seeing it all fitted happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Oct 2007 9:36pm
just emailed the guy asking him what it was like performance wise and this was his reply

(re performance it will make more than the motor can handle, at santapod
it
did it in 14.85,, 0-60 5.8sec,
you will break the axles if your not careful.. i did, thats why i made
the
cv conversion)

If my herald come in at anything less than 8sec 0-60 I will happy but I will have be well chufed if it come close to what he has said. These figure where in a spitfire which is slightly heavier to.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Oct 2007 9:53pm
sounds good.

dont like the sound of breaking axles though lol
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 11th Oct 2007 10:23pm
Sounds like a good n smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 11:27am
fitted the drivers side wishbones and suspension setup and it has really droped the ride height now to the point where I cant have my 7inch wide rims on the front anymore will have to go for 6 to clear the arches. Also every time I clean my car I am finding problems with the paint job, it has finger prints in the pasenger door and rear quater aswell as a load and I mean load of strange little bubbles, they are very small but are all over the passenger door and rear quater. runs of paint on the bodywork and two perfect ring marks on the bootlid like something had been sitting on it before being painted and under certain light it is really noticable am not to happy with it at the moment. Heres some pics
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 12:31pm
the bubbles could be fish eyes maybe? (often caused by silicon in the air)

looks sweet, theirs a hotrod swap meet in sheffield next weekend or the week after, i'll get you the details
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 12:38pm
cheersnever been to one so would fancy going
Posted By: jonny boy Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 1:07pm
just looked at the pics of the charger, inlet looks like a jackson racing one (? used on the zetec s/charger conversions stateside).
Are the carbs coming with it? am guessing webers, am not sure if its blow-thru or draw-thru, but they sometimes need special seals in the carb, cos they can get distorted, and get funked up, and make the car run crap

you wanna think about getting an ARP bolt kit for your motor and trans, cos stuff like flywheel bolts go loads when you put power through them

(i blew the bottom end of my car, so just in the middle of rebuilding the motor, i'll pop round if its fixed (hopefully done for monday), been thinking of supercharging my xflow motor or going turbo, wouldnt mind checking out your kit, to see how it would all work).
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 2:08pm
If you want you can come with me next weekend when I pick it up.you right it uses a jackson manifold. and no the carbs arnt coming with it but I can get new manifolds on ebay for £55 and the carbs go for around £150. Let us know if ya want to come
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 13th Oct 2007 3:38pm
looks stunning

shame about the paint job though. You thinking of tryna get a refund or something?
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2007 9:59pm
it a shame about the paint, especially when it spent soo long in the bodyshop. i know the feeling of cleaning your own car and finding flaws in the bodywork. i must have quite a few on mine!
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 17th Oct 2007 11:52pm
Love it Rhys ive never seen anything like it
and i mean that in a nice way lol

[Linked Image]

I cant wait to see this in the flesh your going to
have to bring her down and we can all corrrrr
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Oct 2007 9:01am
Well bugger me!!

After all that time it spent in the paint shop, this is really coming together now smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 8:25am
Looks absolutely stunning mate, love it! Shame about the paint imperfections, and after all that time spent too. frown
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 9:15am
Rhys you going to put your name down for the car of the year nominations ?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 5:38pm
not this year maybe next only want to put it up when its all finished and people have had the chance to see it in the flesh lol. am picking the supercharger up tomorow and will be altering it from the old dynamo to a alternator on sunday. this requires remouval of the old regulating box and bit or wiring alterations and fittment of a fuse box. Cheap modification really as my supercharger kit is coming with the alternator and brackets etc.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 5:49pm
Fair do's wink
It just looks finished to me lol

Well you have plenty of time to change your mind smile
About 2 weeks lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 5:56pm
some stiff compertion thi year eh mate
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 10:37pm
Originally Posted by sanchez
some stiff compertion thi year eh mate
sure is one of the reasons why am waiting till next year lol. Think all my votes will be going to the mini. Must say though sanchez it was a close call between that and your berlingo he he raftl
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 10:47pm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just a pic of what happened to the spitfire the supercharger kit come from, very nasty
Posted By: MattLFC Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 19th Oct 2007 10:50pm
Fook! Very nasty indeed! omg
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 20th Oct 2007 2:12pm
oooh..nothing a bit of t-cut and elbow grease couldnt polish out....
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Oct 2007 10:44am
well picked up the kit yesterday. I know I need a complete new engine before running it but I have decided to trial fit everything to my current engine. Well in order to fit the mounting bracket I had to remove the distriubutor, mechanical fuel pump, mechanical water pump. These are things I need to buy:
1. Peugeot 2.5 gti radator, fan and electric water pump.
2. facet 20psi fuel pump
3. charger cooler ( am currently watching one on ebay of a focus)
4. Megajolt 3d programable ignition using ford edis system
5. inlet manifolds
6. delorto twin 45's dhla turbo spec carbs of esprite turbo.
7. fully rebuilt 1300 engine.
Heres some pics of the charger mounted to the current engine
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 21st Oct 2007 6:32pm
We know you can do it smile

The engine looks tiny?
Need side on pics smile

As always your ahead of the game wink
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2007 6:59pm
[Linked Image]
Just won this, bit expensive but looks nice £295. comes with pump radiator and charge cooler unit from a focus rs
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 23rd Oct 2007 7:01pm
smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Oct 2007 6:47pm
well picked up the charger cooler last night. This morning I decided I was going to have to remove the heater unit to make room for the charge cooler unit to sit nicely in place without looking odd, heres some pics of the position it is going.
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Oct 2007 6:59pm
No Heater omg

You going to do some Rhysee magic.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 26th Oct 2007 10:29pm
charge/intercoolers really like cold air! can't really tell from your pics but it looks too packed in. mine sits cockeyed out of the way of engine heat but also does have a substancial ammount of air going through it.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Oct 2007 9:33pm
Have just bought these, these are the main parts I need to mount and wire up in order to run a 3d programable ecu, it will alow me to advance and retard my timing using a laptop within the car, ideal for when I use my nos as when using nos it is recomended to have your timing slightly retarded. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Oct 2007 9:36pm
It gets better and better.

People will be so amazed logging in to sort your timing lol
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 29th Oct 2007 11:17pm
are you going to run megajolt? i plan on running mapped ignition for the mini come 2008. what are you using tps or map?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Oct 2007 5:37pm
are you going to run megajolt? i plan on running mapped ignition for the mini come 2008. what are you using tps or map?

Yes am going to be using the megajolt setup using a map, Ive only heard good things about this kit and at only £100 it a bit of a bargain. Just to let you know some1 is selling the tps setup on ebay now for £89
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 30th Oct 2007 7:22pm
tps setup's are virtually impossible to run on boosted motors, with the boost always fluctuating (well on turbos anyway). almost everyone on the turbo minis website is running it. certanly beats thy trusty distributor.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Nov 2007 4:04pm
Well managed to mount the edis and sort the loow to the coil, need to get hold of some shielded cable for the vr sensor. Also fitted the modified crank pulley, with the alloy supercharger belt pulley mounted to the original along with the timing gear. Also started fabricating a mount for the vr sensor so I can position it 90degrees b4 tdc.

Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Nov 2007 6:07pm
Just bought my 3d programable ignition of ebay £109 which i didnt think was bad just need a cheap laptop which I can leave in the car now.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 3rd Nov 2007 6:29pm
superb work mate.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Nov 2007 9:37am
well my megajolt kit arrived the other day and seems a very nice piece of kit for the money. also fabricated a plenum for my carbs and then polished it up. I need to get the back milled flat to ensure a good flat surface and no presure is alowed to leak as it will effect the performance. Heres some pics.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Nov 2007 9:38am
if anyone can resize these for me cause I dont know how to lol thanks
Posted By: DavidB Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Nov 2007 9:56am
Car is amazing, didn't realise you'd have progressed this far!!
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Nov 2007 6:29pm
wish i could afford/fabricate half the shiny bits you can, i might have a nice engine bay then.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jan 2008 10:49pm
Any more recent news on this JA?????????????

Posted By: Pomp Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 8th Jan 2008 11:10pm
Just bought my 3d programable ignition of ebay £109 which i didnt think was bad just need a cheap laptop which I can leave in the car now.

£45

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHEAP-LAPTOP-...otoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 9th Jan 2008 8:54pm
got a laptop now and thanks to matty lfc we mannaged to get it working. have purchased some magnum grp seats and all the interior has been removed. Have spoke to a local company who has qouted me £145 for my door cards to be made in carbon fibre, will be getting the dash done aswell.
With the engine I was going to use dellorto dhla 45s turbo spec but have decided to try a metro turbo carb as these are a similar cc to the herald I think it will be fine. I dont really want to spend any more on it at the moment as am totally f..ked off with the sh.te paintjob. Had no responce from the bodyshop after letters so had to pay the other day for a automotive engineer to come and inspect it. He did a great job and agreed it was awfull am just waiting for him to get back. He told me to rectify it would be the whole job over again. He even jacked the car up and inspected the welding on the arches where they flare out and well lets just say it looks like pigeon dropings. It will definatley be getting another respray but not going back to where I had it done. Heres a pic of the carb I bought tonight.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 10th Jan 2008 12:38pm
Small claims court for recouping the money on the spray job?

Other than that looks like its progressing along pretty well, I just wish i had them mechanical nowse to do something like this smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 27th Jan 2008 11:43am
the metro turbo carbs are good for around 200hp, with a few people using them at around 230-245hp. just make sure you get the gubbins right. shame to hear about the paint job.
Posted By: sav1 Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Sep 2008 6:43pm
whats happening with this project,just been through this thread,truly awesome build.
Posted By: Dave100e Re: rhys's Herald Hotrod Project - 18th Sep 2008 6:52pm
Someone told me about this car a while ago. Sounds mental.

I had a Vitesse 2 litre about 18 months ago and loved it to bits. It was a mk1 though, so dodgy suspension. Axle steer was mad, and i was going round a roundabout once (sideways) and the rear wheel dug in and gripped, then there was a slight moment where the rear spring bent then suddenlt flicked back putting the car on two wheels. Luckily i was expecting it but if i wasnt i wouldve ended up on the roof.

Id still have another one anyday though, with a 2.5 and triple 45's.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral