Forums
Posted By: Phil_G Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 1:10am
1989 Vauxhall Nova Berlina

Hiya

This car was bought by me as a bog standard and very Red 1989 Mk1 Nova 1200 'Berlina' which is a special edition tha netted me a 5 speed gearbox, tilt/slide sunroof, SR specification glass (green tint) but the rest bone stock merit trim.

First mod was the ever present K&N bolt on filter, followed by 15" TSW Alpine 6.5X15" ET45 alloys wrapped in 195/45/15 tyres, and then a full Janspeed manifold and exhaust system.

Thats how the car stayed for a while until august 2000 when the headgasket failed. Whilst having the car repaired i decided to have a full Bilstein Suspension kit fitted lowering the car by 60mm to cure a list to the drivers side (looked like the car had been single occupant for most of its used life causing drivers side springs to sag)

After a slight bump (it happens to most of us at some time or another) I had an SR bumper installed as the original narrow bumper got bent.

Cosmetically thats how the car has stayed since then. TBH im happy with how the car looks and i feel no need to change it for a bodykit (most of which dont fit or dont suit the car imo)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Come MOT 2002 and im told the front brakes need replacing so I elected to replace standard equipment with the Calibra 16v discs and calipers along with new (non braided) hoses, a HUGE increase in stopping power was afforded without spending stupid money (£60 for two calipers and fitting) Discs and the pads themselves came free courtesy of the g/f who had had a 300mm brake conversion for the calibra and had 3K miles discs and pads sat doing nothing. After a precautionary inspection,all was installed and a new MOT issued.

THis car now stopped as well as it handles and again the modifications stopped, with me being happy with the car besides the persistant pinking that had plagued the car. The previous mechanic correctly diagnosed the problem in the distributor but effected a poor repair that gave trouble three or four times under warranty. At this point I sought the advice of a well respected local engineer and car enthusiast who repaired my distributor and its been spot on since.

To be continued!
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 1:48am
After 4 years of 55 horsepower i decided that I needed more power and started buying bits and pieces in the shape of Twin 40 webers, ported & polished head and a 276 courtenay cam. Later on again, i purchased a 1989 GTe Nova that met a hedge, its roof the road and ultimately its own demise. £100 swopped hands and i acquired the mangled wreck with a very strong anf FSH 98K mile 1.6i motor.

[Linked Image]

We bolted it all together

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and it ran great for 700 miles (about when i joined the boards) and it blew up. Basically, I hadnt checked the head for a flat deck, (b)the jet of one choke blocked up and dettonated hell out of the cylinder and took the gasket and my compression with it

[Linked Image]

Due to work, time and financial constraints, the car stayed broken for the whole of the summer, whilst i amassed the funds to repair it.

December 04 came and after a precuationary strip of my replacment head i established some new bits were needed to get the stock spec. spare GTE head to standard.i had bought a new cam (this time of greater duration), new springs, lifters, 4 new valves (exhaust units pitted, two carburettor rebuild kits and cans of sundry carburettor cleaner etc.

[Linked Image]

Illustrates the valve seat area of No 1 Cylinder (top centre of pic) showing it had got quite dirty over the 14 years of use. Whilst bad, its repairable with a simple regrind using a valve stick and some coarse/fine paste

[Linked Image]

WIP shot

[Linked Image]

Clearly illustrates the benefit of patience and a little work - that is now ready to be re cleaned and freed of any grinding paste.

Thats as far as it gets, as atm im laid up off work with a bad knee and awaiting the decision of whether i need another (no3!) knee operation

any constructive commments more than welcome as well as comments for any technique errors.

trust me i wont make the same mistakes again, and those of you less in the know (like i was), either leave it to an expert or take more advice than i did, do research into the proper checks to make to second hand equipment and dont dive in head first. You WILL get burned.

Phil

PS: sorry its so long!
Posted By: Mark Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 1:53am
WOW amazing, it just goes to show like you say,
a little patience and a little work
can really pay off.

Looks great mate,

So is it up and running now yeh?
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 1:58am
Not quite yet mate, having to go easy on my bad knee frown

Once it is running and the niggles ironed out/ carburettors set up i think i will waste some 98 octane and come over the wirral a bit more often and meet some of you guys

Phil
Posted By: Meesh Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 8:54pm
Thats one clean Nova fella!

not a huge fan of them but when I see they've been very well looked after and the owners more into looking after it and "modding" it the right way instead of "chavin" it up, I do like em

Keep up the good work matey!
Posted By: 20vgolf Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 10:00pm
Well done that a nice looking Nova, had an SR myself when i passed (about 11 years ago)

Nice to see somebody taking the effort to re-build the motor themselves, and check all the internals etc, bet i flew on the twin 40s. Are you running a 4 branch?

Keep up the good work, and hope the knee recovers.
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 10:15pm
Hiya,

the janspeed manifold is a 4-1 design and yes it was bloody quick!

Phil

PS: thanks
Posted By: 20vgolf Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 10:58pm
Every considered throttle bodies?? pricey but give great power returns!
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 11:13pm
Hiya,

Reason i went for webers are

1) Ive always wanted them!

2) they give good power gains in their own right

3) whilst they do need balancing and adjusting, its easier to do yourself

4) my budget (beside the above) doesn't stretch that far!

Phil
Posted By: 20vgolf Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 25th Jan 2005 11:50pm
Yep you can never beat the induction roar of twin 40s
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 27th Jan 2005 7:50pm
hiya

bit of an update for you. Ive managed to get the valves installed into the cylinder head and the cam ready for modification (Needs a groove cutting in it so my distributor fits in) and thats about it.

Also got a pic for you of my instructions for the next stage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thats all for now folks

Phil
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 28th Jan 2005 1:19am
Lol, like a lego kit! Good lookin nova mate, nice to see one that's so well looked after. Good luck getting it back on the road.
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 28th Jan 2005 1:33am
Cheers Pal! With instructions like those, im going to need all the luck i can get :S

Phil
Posted By: Whitterz Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 28th Jan 2005 6:00pm
Ive got to say it sounds and goes like the bollox this does,

Phil, u shudda had my 2.0 8v head
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 28th Jan 2005 7:47pm
whitterz,

wouldnt of fitted mate - that head is physically too big for my block!

Phil
Posted By: Whitterz Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 28th Jan 2005 11:34pm
oh frown
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 31st Jan 2005 9:10pm
hiya,

quick update - I collected the cam from the machinists shop who was cutting a new distributor drive for me and i shall be installing that into the cam carrier tomorrow and giving the previous tasks a good check over for mistakes

Phil
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 2nd Feb 2005 8:17pm
woohoo!

PAst days have gone well, The head is built up, new lifters in, new cam in and followers etc all installed too. A slight snag occurred when we went to install the headbolts in as much as there was a bit of rust fowling the threads. A quick run down there with a tap and the muck was cleaned out of the threads and everything tightened down nicely.

We are going to be delaying the carburettor rebuild and simply cleaning the mainjets out as they are easily accessed in the DCOE carburettor, installing them and then hopefully the motor should be running by tomorrow evening! laugh

cant wait to be ripping again.

Phil

I should say at this point a BIG thanks to my friend and excellent engineer Tim Barks, who has at all stages been a wealth of knowledge and has given his time more than generously to assist me.
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 3rd Feb 2005 7:33pm
Bwahahaha..

ITS ALIVE!!!!!! IIIITTTSS ALLIIIIVVVEEE!

Carburettors cleaned out, hooked up and it starts. One or two problems to sort out but it shouldnt be too long before its driveable!

Phil
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 5th Feb 2005 2:10am
Hiya

Ive driven it today whilst setting up the carburettors and what can i say?

Well its stunnning..

goes well - but sounds better...

Coming to petrol station forecorts nationwide soon!

Phil
Posted By: 20vgolf Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 5th Feb 2005 12:19pm
Well done,

Such a satisfying feeling turning the key on an engine you have spent hours rebuilding to here it roar in to life again!!!

Hope to hear/see it soon
Posted By: Phil_G Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 5th Feb 2005 1:05pm
thanks!

IT was bloody nervewracking after my engineer friend said to me "you did the most intricate and critial part unaided".

I swear i felt the colour drain from my face and i let go of the key...

All is good though, the valvetrain is quiet as a mouse without a hint of a rattle/tap at idle or at any point of the rev range weve explored thusfar. Another bonus is I got my stereo system sorted back out so thats all working again now as well laugh

now to break out the mig welder and patch it up as needed.

Phil
Posted By: 20vgolf Re: Phil_G : Vauxhall Nova Berlina - 6th Feb 2005 2:34am
Waiting to turn mine this week!!!

Gave it a few manual revoloutions and all seems fine with the new piston rings, just need to see what happens when its under its own steam.

I remember when i ran it after the engine conversion and the ecu map was too far retarded and throwing fuel in by the bucket load we had 4ft flames out the tail pipe.

Its great when it all works out though gives you something to smile about!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral