Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 12:27am
[Linked Image]

This is my BMW E36 '93 316i in Alpine White. Got it back in February with just over 124,000 miles on the clock.

Not really done much to it yet as it cost me over £550 getting it to pass it's MOT a few months ago.

Items it failed on on it's MOT were:
Damaged Steering Rack ("Oooff, pricey!" I hear you say)
2 worn rear tyres (as expected acting a tit, wheelspins & handbraking etc)
New front brake calipers
Rear Drums Seized up
and a few other minor repairs

Now that these are all repaired, I can now hopefully start putting cash away to modify it.

Current modifications are:
- Blacked Clear Indicators
- M3 Mirrors (might get round to painting one day)
- Front Splitter (was halfway there until it t*atting rained, but fitted it anyway)
- Boot Install (Halfway there)
- A StuyMac bodged Induction Kit (Soundin' Great happy )

Future plans are:
- 60mm Lower at Rear
- Newer Injectors
- DVD Player & TV Screen (In Console)
- Clear Fog Lights
- E36 Spoiler With Brake Light
- Blackened Rear Lights
- Storm Window Wiper
- Limo Black Tints on rear windows
- Leather BMW Gear Knob
- Short Shift Gear Stick
- Sports Clutch (Clutch is going smack )
- Induction Kit (Perhaps not, we'll see)
- Twin 3" DTM Backbox
- New Alloys (possibly)
- Leather Interior (not likely)
- 4 Point Harness (not likely)
- Sports Steering Wheel
- Blacked Clear Angel Eye Headlights & Indicators

I'll be putting up guides of how I fitted my mirrors, indicators, boot install and splitter as advice for other members.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 12:32am
Fitted front splitter before spraying. Kindly given to me by tony (tupac) cheers happy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bought new number plates too, should be here tomorrow smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 12:47am
Couple of pics of my halfway through boot install. Not getting as much sound out of my sub as I hoped. A few people warned me of this so I've been thinking of using the sub box as the base and work around it.

I didn't really think the design through, just started doing it. Still tryna make my mind up on a few things so if anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated. As soon as it's done it'll be carpeted black smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 3:27am
Tis getting there happy
Posted By: kaytie Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 11:32am
thumbsup
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 12:25pm
Like it matey its about time you put up a mmc topic.
Posted By: Pomp Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 12:52pm
Yep great MMC, The pics are great.

Get the pic of ur sprayed splitter up lad. The car looks well nicer with it on as i seen it yesday at the rock!
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 5:09pm
looks gud and am made up you finally done a topic but you failed to mention your custom cheese grater fabricated by stuy lol ha ha ha
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 5:22pm
Originally posted by BeemerRacer28:
Current modifications are:
- Blacked Clear Indicators
- M3 Mirrors (might get round to painting one day)
- Front Splitter (was halfway there until it t*atting rained, but fitted it anyway)
- Boot Install (Halfway there)
- A StuyMac bodged Induction Kit (Soundin' Great happy ) <---- YOU FAILED TO READ THAT BIT RHYS tease

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 6:27pm
Here are some pics of my finish & fitted front splitter. Might start working on the last bit of my boot install so it'll be ready for carpeting at the weekend smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The colour of it is the original BMW Alpine white...just shows how dirty my car is...might go mad with the t-cut and wax at the weekend

Also, if anyone can get hold of any fog lights for me, I'd be really greatful laugh they aint that cheap goin for about £30 each for clear ones smack
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:06pm
oooooooppppssssssss lol looks gud did you spray it yourself??? make sure you used loadsa lacquer as that area of the car is vunerable to stonechips
Posted By: scoop Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:07pm
Great topic mate.
Ur list of things to do seems spot on,not tacky or owt.IMO sporty clutch is a waste of time,i may help gearchanges a tiny bit but in a car that slow even with the clutch performance will still be comparitively shit to that of the 318

With the money saved from gettin an motor factor clutch instead of an EBC or whatever item u can afford an E46 leather interior (they fit,maybe adaption needed but i have a mate who's done it)

Is the sub in a SEALED box?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:13pm
here you go get bidding not long left

Click Me
Posted By: scoop Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:25pm
"sold as spares or repair as theyre an odd pair"

Meaning there both for the same side,it would seem,if they were a pair pair then thats what u want lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:28pm
Originally posted by scoop2004:
Great topic mate.
Ur list of things to do seems spot on,not tacky or owt.IMO sporty clutch is a waste of time,i may help gearchanges a tiny bit but in a car that slow even with the clutch performance will still be comparitively shit to that of the 318

With the money saved from gettin an motor factor clutch instead of an EBC or whatever item u can afford an E46 leather interior (they fit,maybe adaption needed but i have a mate who's done it)

Is the sub in a SEALED box?
cheers for the advice, a few people have said not to go for the sports one, but as it was only a quid more expensive on ebay, i thought **** it why not, but if its not going to make much difference, no point. Might start looking at E46 leather interior aswell then thumbsup

currently the sub isnt in a sealed box, but just has a surrounding with not much air behind it/underneath it, so i think swopping it back to the sealed box is a wise idea

as for the fog lights - already seen these mate, didn't take interest in them as I'm after clear ones to suit my current indicators and headlights when i get them. also, only one is supplied with the mounting bracket, so i'd still have to look elsewhere or down the scrappy to get one, so might aswel get them from there anyway
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:29pm
ohhhhh s..t I need to start reading thing propely as a f..king up all the time lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:34pm
oh and another thing, the rust is quite bad on both of the rear arches, as there is with many of these models. I was thinking of repairing it myself but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it properly without either the rust coming back or the paint not matching.

Anyone got any places I can take it to to get sorted and a rough price I'd be looking it?
Posted By: scoop Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 7:52pm
try the sponsors mate,if ur confident with an angle grinder u could save them a bit of time and urself some money by getting rid of as much rust as u can CLEANLY then giving it to them, ur looking about 90 pound an arch if its average. thats what i was quoted just b4 nationals last year
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 8:10pm
myself it is then lol

Originally posted by Johnny Alan:
oooooooppppssssssss lol looks gud did you spray it yourself??? make sure you used loadsa lacquer as that area of the car is vunerable to stonechips
I did spray it myself. Cost me £5.50 for the primer, same for the paint and same for the laquer. 500ml cans all from halfords. Only managed just about 2 coats of primer which is what I wanted, just about 2 coats of paint, I wanted at least 3. I got 1 coat of laquer on, then let it dry, and started the 2nd coat and then it pissed down so I was rantin an ravin on the chat thread yesterday cas it ****ed it all up. ended up getting stuck to the newspaper so I had half the birkenhead news on it thumbsdown . I wanted at least 5 coats of laquer to prevent a few chips. Cas the rain ****ed it all up I got pissed off and I just ended up putting it on yesterday before going to the rock and no one even noticed it apart from pomp frown lol.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 8:16pm
your sub needs a proper box in all honesty, it will work with a similar sized unit aslong as it is sealed with silicone all the way around.

This is the one I done in my punto
[Linked Image]
So if you want me to give you a hand to do a similar one pm me. Only cost me £50 on materials but then £300 spraying it but if your okay at spraying you could do that bit yourself either that or trim it which is a cheap method. happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 10:10pm
it's only cost me £30 on materials so far. might just put it back in the sub box and redesign the back bit around it. I'm gunna carpet it cas I'm a cheapskate lol.

I was lovin the rain before, just tried to pull of turning round corners a few times and ended up skating accross the road sideways. I guess it is easy to get the back end out in the wet then lol
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 11:03pm
My mate can build you one or he can give you agood design so you can build it. It would have all the right size boxes n stuff want me to ask him for you???

Not sure if i like the spiltter white matey. Only becasue its off a M3 nad they are all black even if the cars not.

Rest of the motor looks good.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 11:11pm
Originally posted by tupac:
My mate can build you one or he can give you agood design so you can build it. It would have all the right size boxes n stuff want me to ask him for you???

Not sure if i like the spiltter white matey. Only becasue its off a M3 nad they are all black even if the cars not.

Rest of the motor looks good.
nah tis ok, I wanna have a go designing and building by myself, to find design faults but if i get stuck, I'll bare your help in mind smile

dont be sayin that it looks poo, i'll see what it looks like in a few weeks, i'll try and match the colour with the car (somehow) and if it still looks as about of place as it does, i'll change it back to black.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2006 11:18pm
Should be getting my new plates 2moro...heres a pic of 'em:

[Linked Image]

what d'ya think?
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Aug 2006 2:58am
Nice, but, your going to be skint smile

I leave you for a few days, and your already spending *all* your money lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2006 4:43pm
Got my plates this morning, and I must say, theyre better than I expected. Started fitting the rear one, looks alrite, but when it came to the front, theres a nasty big black plateholder which ive been thinking of removing for a while now,.....so...I did!

Then I headed down the scrappy and got a rear bumper trim of another E36 for £3ish and made it fit the front of mine, had to screw it in though, and the screws still dont hold it properly at the edges cas the curvature of the front bumper, but looks alrite if i say so myself. So now Im doin a lawton - keeping my plate on view elsewhere lol

Ill post pics later smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2006 5:16pm
number plate in the window is a corsa chavvy mod look ha ha ha ha ha only messin lawton. Get them pics up bud happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2006 6:27pm
Here ya go. Put the sub box back in too and fixed it down. got the rest of the bits for my install so I should be finished tomorrow minus the carpet laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 14th Aug 2006 7:02pm
lookin good joe not 2 sure on the reg plate in the window. had any look on findithe spot lights yet?
Posted By: Addy Lad Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 14th Aug 2006 7:52pm
not bad, keep it up man, hows ur boot build coming along?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 15th Aug 2006 1:19am
i thought i was finished minus the carpet yesterday, but still got a few more tweaks to do before I carpet it. I'll try and get em done for 2moro and take some pics smile

my search for foggys hasnt begun yet, but it will do next motnh when I get paid. in the mean time, if anyone finds a m3 spoiler WITH BRAKE LIGHT up for sale for less than £40 let me know, cheers.

ta for the comments too peeps
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 15th Aug 2006 4:17am
That reg plate needs to go back on lol

Looks good tho smile shame i aint been able to help or anything frown
Posted By: Pomp Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 15th Aug 2006 12:39pm
car does look nice wivout the reg plate but leavin it at the window aint such a good idea! but any ways its goin places matey so keep it up.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 15th Aug 2006 1:38pm
I think it looks odd without the reg plate.. and if he doesnt leave it in the window or doesnt put it back on, wheres it going to go? On the roof?

I still think his car looks good with the reg on, and after spending money on them to look funkeh, it needs to be shown off, not left in the window.
Posted By: kaytie Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 9:47am
Originally posted by Izzy:
Nice, but, your going to be skint smile

I leave you for a few days, and your already spending *all* your money lol
she is right joe joe x
Posted By: Lund Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:01am
Was it you in Upton maccies car park yesterday at about 10 ish? lol
Posted By: kaytie Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:06am
nope not last night, was the night b4 tho
Posted By: Lund Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:10am
Originally posted by kaytie:
nope not last night, was the night b4 tho
Ok smack

lol, all the ard' boys raggin there Novas an Corsas around lol anyway must refrain from spammin Joes space tease
Posted By: kaytie Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:33am
nah its ok joe spams everywere neways!

we was all up the rock last night
Posted By: Lund Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:38am
Originally posted by kaytie:
nah its ok joe spams everywere neways!

we was all up the rock last night
Lmao, if ya say so...add me on msn or summin if ya wanna talk lol
Posted By: scoop Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 11:57am
Joe,maybe try a square (import/bike style) reg plate offset on the front bumper???

As nice as the bumper looks it would look just as nice with a plate on,cos its a car then
Posted By: Pomp Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 12:59pm
he's skint as he is now lol, wont be able to afford bike plates n throw away the ones he jst purchased!!!!!! raftl

That'll be throwin money away! £40 for them plates he jst got

Joe

Ya sub sounds nicer now matey as ye got the sub box bk on! n i like the green light(it is green aint it?) u got installed wiv the bit that lights up the cruisewirral sign!!!
Posted By: Lund Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 5:14pm
What I dont understand is why did you buy some nice plates when you wer'nt gonna show them off ? think
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 5:33pm
I just wanted rid of that horrible black square reg plate holder trim, I might put the plate on at the weekend. might chop it in different places to see if it looks better anywhere else
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Aug 2006 10:44pm
Originally posted by BeemerRacer28:
i thought i was finished minus the carpet yesterday, but still got a few more tweaks to do before I carpet it. I'll try and get em done for 2moro and take some pics smile

my search for foggys hasnt begun yet, but it will do next motnh when I get paid. in the mean time, if anyone finds a m3 spoiler WITH BRAKE LIGHT up for sale for less than £40 let me know, cheers.

ta for the comments too peeps
Keep checking the ebay link i put up cos i will see what i can find for you.

Or go on the E36 website like the E30 zone i think.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 17th Aug 2006 12:48am
what E36 site? I only know of a few beemer forums and theyre poo
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Oct 2006 2:15am
Couple more pics:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll get some lastest pics up of my boot install soon, carpeted it all recently and now I'm looking for a 12v linear actuator to finish it off, so if anyone come across one, let me know, cheers
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2006 3:54pm
Right, finally got round to uploading the pics of my boot install.

First I started with a frame made of scant. Scant is big and rather heavy, but it did the job so I went with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had to modify the MDF which lifts up to fit past my boot so I could get access to wiring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Initially, I wanted to have the sub mounted on the MDF top, but after I tried this, as the sub wasn't enclosed, the sub became basically useless, so under the advice of Aceritz and Johnny Alan and a few others, I decided to put the sub back in the box and build my install around it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

carpeted:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that space is where I'll be putting the cruisewirral.com with sound activated neons that shine through the logo.

I'm after a linear actuator or something of the sort to lift this part up for show. smile

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mark Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2006 5:15pm
Looking good joe,
will be great when finished smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2006 5:40pm
cheers Webby.

Ta for the cw logo too thumbsup
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 29th Oct 2006 9:11am
Getting there matey.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 6:46pm
Right, finally getting somewhere now.

Got some foggies for free thanks to Stuy happy
One was cracked, but I managed to find a replacement from a scrappy smile

Also got some smoked side repeaters for a fiver off eBay.

and last but not least for now, I finally got hold of an actuator for my boot install for just a tenner off good ol' eBay.

Fitted my foggies and side repeaters this weekend thumbsup should be working on finishing my boot install for next weekend hopefully smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: krisGTi Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 6:57pm
lookin good matey wat u got planed next
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 7:03pm
The fogs are a nice touch Joe, just don't be one of the typical Beemer drivers who leave them on when it's clear!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 7:03pm
Cheers guys.

Haha I'll try not to Jimbo, hard to resist though tease

I'm thinking of getting a new backbox and decatting it.

Then maybe a spoiler smile

I'll see what comes up though and I'll keep looking in the scrappies to see what I can find. Could of picked up some nice white dials, but he wanted £25 thumbsdown
Posted By: Mark Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 7:11pm
Nice little touches mate smile
They all add up happy

Liking the changes.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 10th Dec 2006 8:03pm
Cheers Webby, they do indeed all add up
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 11th Dec 2006 7:12am
The foggies look great Joe, been waitin for you to get them since the summer!

The side-repeater looks good too, good idea!

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 11th Dec 2006 8:34am
Looking good matey, glad to see the old foggies being put to some use smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 11th Dec 2006 5:27pm
thanks for the comments peeps, and cheers for the foggies Stuy happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 11th Dec 2006 6:52pm
really looks gud keep the gud work coming, looks so much better than standard happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 11th Dec 2006 7:35pm
Cheers Rhys smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:15am
Finally found some time to update this thing.

Incase some of you didn't know, at the end of Jan, I had a coolant leak into the oil. Presuming it was the head gasket, I decided to put it in my garage and work on it myself as I planned on replacing the cam and tappets anyway.

Today I finally pulled the head off it (PARDON!).

Started off looking like this:

[Linked Image]

Then moved to this:

[Linked Image]

and after quite some work, much referring to a haynes manual and a good collection of tools which I didn't have, I eventually got to this stage:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and the gasket has seen better days - every coolant passage rusted, but I can't see no visable signs of a coolant leak.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I'm planning on buying a refurbished head with a performance cam from a place called www.fabautoparts.co.uk who sell all sorts of stuff for BMW's.

The quote ive been given is for £598.99 inc. VAT - Some people have said its quite pricey. Just wondered what anyone else thought?

Also continued on my plans from my first post and added more plans too, however, engine work comes first.

- Removed all the interior and will replace old grey carpet for thick black carpet and cloth interior for leather happy

- Injectors look like new, so newer injectors won't be needed.

- I've seen a few white e36's with tinted rear lights and I have to say I think they look awful, so I think I'll be sticking to standard rear lights.

- Removed standard fan and shroud and will be fitting an electric fan to maximise space within the engine bay.

- Also planning on converting rear drums to discs.

- Exhaust system is removed. Currently looking for a downpipe (which includes cat) from another 316i so I can make an easily swappable cat/decat system.

Found out why my exhaust was blowing - Big hole in the backbox lol

[Linked Image]

- Started colour coding the trim. Got the idea off e46 models as the colour coding trim on white ones looks swish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's all I've managed to do so far - Only have time (and enough daylight) at weekends, so progress is slow, but hopefully it'll pick up with the lighter evenings thumbsup

Hopefully looking to have it all done for the summer smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:20am
So it doesnt look like it was the head gasket after all??

Looks like you done a fair old bit of work there. Remember if you want any help, lemme know, I got nothing better to do matey.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:22am
I seems so, but I'm unsure if it needs to be visable for a leak to actually occur?

I'm hoping it is that problem - If not, what else could it be?

Cheers for the offer matey smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:23am
What were the symptoms that made you believe it was HGF?

I suppose it doesnt have to be visable, but from what I have seen on the MGR forums, they usually have visable signs.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:33am
Mayonnaise in the Oil and coolant loss.

Only discovered the mayo after I bought new oil to do an oil change. smack

Tried that K-Seal coolant leak repairer as you suggested, but I wasn't taking the chance of it getting worse.

And as I said, I wanted to replace the cam and lifters anyway so I'm sort of glad it happened as it kicked my ass into gear otherwise they wouldn't have got done.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:37am
Was the mayo thick and in your face on the oil cap, or was it only thin - sometimes condensation can be confused for HGF.

Coolant loss could be a leak somewhere I suppose. Was the car bad to drive? Was it chugging at all, hesitating, any smoke.

Usally you can see signs of where the K-Seal has gone to work on the gasket POF if its HGF, it works by attatching itself to any places of great heat exceeding that of the rest of the gasket and then leave a splodgy residue on the gasket which is visable when you remove the head. Of course it can take upto 20 minutes of the engine running to find its way.

Yeah, it sounds like it was a good excuse to do the work you wanted either way hehe.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:44am
it wasnt condensation, definately mayo.

First noticed it on the oil cap, and as I was doing the work, I noticed it on almost everything including breather hoses.

Didn't notice any obvious problems driving it, just the knocking noise which I presumed was the camshaft (and as you can see in the pictures, some of the lobes are quite badly worn)

The only thing I did notice before I found the mayo was the MPG gauge going haywire, but this could have been due to finding one of my sensor wires badly worn and conductors inside shorting on each other due to damage from the viscous fan.

Only found a bit of the K-Seal on the gasket, mainly around the coolant holes where it was badly rusted
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:48am
Regarding the MPG gauge, was there a noticable reduction in actual MPG or just the gauge going crazy lol. If there was a reduction, could be the lambda sensor (if your car has one of course).

Sounds like it prob is HGF then, hard to say of course. But if it was running alright, you could have used the K-Seal with no problem over the winter months hehe. I know of drivers on the MGR forums who have run their cars with HGF on the back of K-Seal for over 10,000 miles lmao - their just too bonidle to fix it properly lol.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:50am
there was both a noticable reduction in actual MPG and the gauge going crazy. And the damaged sensor wire was actually from the lambda sensor lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:55am
Lol!

When will you be getting the new parts for the engine? What timeframe are you looking at to have everything sorted and back on the road?

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:58am
Just about saved up for the recon head, so I will be getting that at the beginning of next month.

After that, Just gotta save up for everything else.

Probably about June/July once everything is done.

It's a long time to go without a car frown But, I s'pose I'll enjoy it all the more smile

Just hope it flies through it's MOT after spending a load of money on it lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 12:59am
Yeah, at least it will hopefully be ready just as the peak of summer is coming into play.

smile
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 8:37am
Originally Posted by BMW Joe

After that, Just gotta save up for everything else.

Probably about June/July once everything is done.

It's a long time to go without a car frown But, I s'pose I'll enjoy it all the more smile

Just hope it flies through it's MOT after spending a load of money on it lol

Almost like you where writing this for me matey same time scale as mine.

Glad you got the head off matey you have put alot of work into this car your at the garage almost everytime i go to mine exept you stay alot longer than lazy arse me raftl

Is the head going to be standard or you going to get anything done to it???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2007 9:18am
lol yours wont be ready for another few years the rate you're going at tease

I'm just getting a standard head. Not really looking to improve performance much as it's only a 1.6 so not really worth it.

The only thing I wanted to do with the engine was to get rid of the horrible knocking noise, but seen as I'm going to pay £500 for a head with a standard cam, why not pay the extra £100 and get a performance one already fitted smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Jun 2007 7:54pm
Finally got round to buying a re-con head.

Will be getting delivered in 2 weeks as the high performance cam is getting specially made for me in Germany.

All new exhaust studs, exhaust nuts, inlet studs, cam cap studs, camshaft caps, oil plug, exhaust valves, inlet valves, spring bases, springs, spring caps, collects, new guide seals, new lifters, new thrust pads, new rockers (cam followers), spray bar and oil seal. thumbsup

Removed all my interior which is now sitting up in the attic lol ready for thick black carpet and leather interior to go in.

Once the head is on, induction kit, de-cat twin exhaust system, electric fan, new HT Leads (anyone know where I can get performance ones from?) and a few other bits to buy and fit.

All the trim is colour coded, just got my mirrors left to colour code.
Posted By: Mark Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 16th Jun 2007 8:54pm
Really made up for you joe,
we kinda forgot about your car due to you saving up.

But so pleased that this is the start of its road back
to being on the road again wink
Posted By: jonah Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 17th Jun 2007 7:43am
made up its comin together for u mate, cant wait to finally c ur motor !!
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 18th Jun 2007 9:29pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Really made up for you joe,
we kinda forgot about your car due to you saving up.

Not me though he is at his almost everytime i go to mine.

Good to hear things are moving forward matey made up for you seen all the work you have put in.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 18th Jun 2007 9:35pm
cheers for the comments guys.

an Tony, might need your help soon after the engine is in. I'll PM you smile
Posted By: spinking Re: BeemerRacer28: BMW E36 316i - 19th Jun 2007 9:04pm
Got the pm matey not a problem let me know once you have the bits and we will have it sorted.

Shouldnt take long matey.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jun 2007 5:36pm
Head is finally coming tomorrow!

Should have it fitted over the weekend if its not raining.

Once thats fitted, gotta pick up a new cam belt, ATF oil, oil filter housing gasket, an exhaust from the scrappy (to de-cat)

Thinking of gettin a port & polish on the inlet manifold.
Is it worth getting exhaust manifold done too?

Any ideas of where I can get this done and how much??

Don't fancy messing it up, unless someone has a detailed guide of how I can do it myself?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jun 2007 9:52pm
Is it worth getting exhaust manifold done too?

you mean port the exhaust manifold? i wouldn't just buy a performance one.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jun 2007 10:01pm
yeah, so you think its not worth it?

I'd be looking at around £400 for a performance manifold and I'm not really looking to spend much more on performance.

Would it give much of an improvement getting the exhaust manifold done?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 7:46am
Rather than initial flow, Manifolds are more about being tuned length so where the pipes join, in to 2 or 1 (on a 4 branch) the gasses from the bang on each pot follow each other through, rather than meet and cause turbulance.

If your spending money on a performance head (cam, bigger valves, port polish) you need to make the most out of the flow it will give, and also concerntrate on getting air / fuel in / out of the head rather than just getting the mix through the head.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 3:35pm
to be honest joe as much as I like your car, and I dont mean what i am saying to sound nasty. But the 1.6/1.8 and 2.0 were never a performance car and give a 3 series a poor power to weight ratio. Your never going to get amazing results for the amount of £. I think your best option is to keep the car for its looks and that is all. If you want performance it will be cheaper to upgrade to a 325i when your insurance comes down or cheaper again would be to fit a 2.5 lump. I wouldnt consider polishing and porting now you have the new head and as it has already been asembled especialy if your not expirienced, this may also void any warranty given with the head
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 9:39pm
Yeah I understand, I know that the 1.6 and 1.8 are crap for performance, thats why I don't fancy spending any more on performance such as buying a performance exhaust manifold.

Just wanted some advice to see if it would be worth getting it P&P, and theres my answer happy

I was thinking about trying to put a 2.5 in this one, but its a big project to do for a learner like myself, and it'd just be too much cost to run for just getting to work and back and going out the odd night, so I decided against it.

Head arrived today anyway, so it's finally moving on!

I noticed the shape of the cylinder on the head is slightly different to the old. (see below) any ideas why? I thought it may be the wrong head at first? think

Got new head bolts, a head gasket set too and a new water pump (had to smash the old one out to get the rear cam belt cover off)
Posted By: MrPhil Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 11:22pm
has it had a skim? have you a vernier/micrometer to measure the heads for the thickness?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 11:26pm
no skim.

It is a recon head, but they didn't require skimming it to save myself the cost of buying a thicker head gasket and a gasket set separately.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 11:35pm
how do you know it is not warped?

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Jun 2007 11:46pm
its checked at the place I bought it. Also compression tested too
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 10:39am
Maybe call them back up joe?
Do the water channels match up?
Do the Oil Channels Match up?

I would like to say should be okay
but it does make you think?

Call the people you bought it off first as it could
be a simple mistake. Then if they say its okay and its not
you can get them by the short and curlies.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 10:40am
p.s

[Linked Image]

Its so shiny wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 11:18am
The coolant and oil channels seem to match up okay, including the coolant one at the end, but I'll have to double check with the old gasket against it.

It's just the shape of the cylinders thats confused me.

Doesn't look like its going to get fitted this weekend unless the weather is better tomorrow no thumbsdown
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 1:48pm
Rain :

Joe i would call them mate, i'm sure you could invalidate any warranties so be carefull
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 4:17pm
Agreed with Mark, the rain could be a sign from god to sit on the side of caution and double check prior to doing anything with it.

After all, its better to be safe then sorry, especially when you have spent so much money on it.

wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 4:38pm
I have 2 working days to enquire about any problems.
So, I've sent them an email with the pictures.

Hope it is the right one!!
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jun 2007 7:38pm
happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 7:51am
If its a recon head it will have had a skim - theres no way anyone would send out a (used) head that could be suspected to be warped - the only way to ensure the head is totally original is to buy a new one.

As for the different shapes - are you talking about the compression dish where the valves are? They probably appear slightly different as the head has been skimmed back a little.

TBH Slightly higher compression may give you a few more gee gees...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 4:08pm
I've been told that the shape of the compression dishes (cheers stuy, didnt know what they were called lol) are fine.

They told me the head wouldn't be skimmed to save the cost of buying a thicker gasket? Which does seem a bit strange, unless they have skimmed it and have supplied a thicker gasket instead of a standard one?

I dunno lol.

If its not raining next weekend, I'll be fitting it then laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 4:35pm
D'oh!

Just took a closer look at the old head and it's just the gasket marks that make it look different.

Silly me.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 5:54pm
Joe Take the Gasket off and see if it looks the same smack

[Linked Image]

Tee hee lol learn
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 9:20pm
Good to see you have it Joe.

Give chris bmw m3 a pm he knows these cars inside out Joe.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jul 2007 10:23pm
Joe Take the Gasket off and see if it looks the same smack

the gasket is actually off in that picture, its just its left a mark over the years lol
I was just going off the picture without checking it properly.

Cheers Tony smile

if I get stuck, I'll ask him happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2007 6:10pm
Got a lot done today as the weather has been nice smile

[Linked Image]

Fitted my new head!!! Woohoo! haha

Also managed to get one side of mirrors and trim fully sprayed.

[Linked Image]

Ready for the new head to be fitted
[Linked Image]

Shiney new gasket laugh
[Linked Image]

Shiney new camshaft all the way from Germany laugh
[Linked Image]

Mirror preped before painting
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A piccie of my interior for those who havn't seen it (what a mess! lol)
[Linked Image]

Only thing I'm unhappy with is the head sits a tiny bit wonkey. its about 1.5mm out at one end. The coolant port on the head doesnt quite line up with the one on the block, but i'm hoping this shouldnt matter as I didn't want to redo it all again.
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2007 9:41pm

- A StuyMac bodged Induction Kit (Soundin' Great happy )

Stuy, have you brought back midnight modding, remember drilling CalibraDaz's airbox, with the aid of a cordless drill and the street lights at midnight.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2007 9:42pm
Originally Posted by Waddi
Stuy, have you brought back midnight modding, remember drilling CalibraDaz's airbox, with the aid of a cordless drill and the street lights at midnight.

exactly how mine was done haha
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2007 9:46pm
Its a Stuy special, for 50p extra you can have it with fried rice.
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2007 9:53pm
raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 6:25pm
Didn't get much done today frown

Still need quite a few parts before its running:

crank sensor
oil filter housing gasket
cam pulley
cam belt
exhaust (looking at a duplex blueflame de-cat one on eBay)
Induction Kit
ATF Oil
Electric radiator fan
HT Leads + Sensor

Senars only sell the cam belt and cam sensor.

I'm mainly after a new cam pulley & bolt and a gasket for the oil filter housing atm, if anyone knows where I can get these from please let me know.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 7:19pm
Great pics joe and i'm please to see it coming along nicely.

WOW what an interior - Hope it all goes back?
Were you board or was there a reason for it being stripped out?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 7:36pm
Putting thick black carpet in and buying full black leather interior.

Fitting white plasma dials and a new steering wheel after the engines done.

Hopefully getting better ice system too.

Ive done it all at once as if I dont do it now, i'll never get round to doing it and also I cant afford to keep the car on the road and pay for mods frown
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 7:38pm
Well done to you then fella wink
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 7:39pm
holy crud
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Jul 2007 8:54pm
Just bought a K&N Induction kit

This is the exhaust I'm looking at too...
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 12:31am
Joe Chris my mate is a bm nut if you need help and advice he will help.

I'll be at the garage 2mora if you need anyhelp.

Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 9:01am
will look good with the black leather interior must be quite expensive though, Ive noiced them on ebay and everyone is after them. Think the exhaust should be okay aslong as it can hang properly it will be cheap enough to get any pipe work alterations needed to link the two sections together if needed.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 9:40am
Cheers Rhys

I've seen a lot of new interiors go for £500, if not less.

I'm really after M3 style seats, but they're quite hard to get hold of in decent condition.

I'll make sure I get it to hang on properly.
Where do you suggest I get any pipework alterations done?

I want my cat and de-cat easily swappable, but atm the cat is connected to the downpipe so it's very akward to swap come MOT time. Where I could get a flange fitted if I cut the cat away from the downpipe?
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 12:36pm
If its the "vader" leather interior you are after from an M3 you need to get yourself to the Gaydon national BMW show next month(5 August). Last year I spotted a full interior in black for £200!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 1:32pm
Yeah it is the vader leather interior I'm after.

I'm in Birmingham on the 4th til the 5th (all night rave!! lol) but I have no way of getting to the show unless someones going??
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 2:11pm
yipee <<<< Joe Raving
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Jul 2007 5:40pm
Chris might be send him a pm matey
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Jul 2007 5:47pm
Ok, I might send him PM later.

K&N came today, so I should be sorting that out soon.

Working away for 2 weeks up in Scotland on a ship, so I won't be able to do anything else for a while, but the overtime £££ means I'll be able to get everything I want bought and finish it quicker laugh

And actually Mark, I won't be raving alone yipee

I'll be with Homer raftl .....

Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Jul 2007 5:52pm
lol woohoo homer!

[Linked Image] yipee
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2007 7:25pm
wooo bought that blueflame exhaust.

Gunna pick it up on the way home.

Also bought Petrol and Boot release levers and cables out of an MR2. So I'll fit them when I get back.

Boot lock mechanism has already been removed as I'm gunna fit a night vision camera.

The petrol cap only locks when the car is, so going to make a spring mechanism so that it pops open when the lever is pulled.

Engine should be up and running in 2 weekends time when I come back from Edinburgh then back from Birmingham.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2007 7:33pm
cool mate you going to be busy raftl
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2007 8:33pm
Exellent matey look forward to seeing your motor going again.

You bought any springs yet???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2007 9:43pm
Cheer mate.

not yet, I want to get the engine running before I spend more on Interior/Exterior mods.

Will be buying them very soon though
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jul 2007 5:22pm
Picked up my Blueflame exhaust today from Preston on the way home from Edinburgh. Tis quite nice (should be after it cost me £300 lol), looking forward to fitting it...The decat might just fit without being modded hopefully.

I should get round to fitting that and the K&N and also buying the rest of the bits needed to get it running the weekend after next thumbsup
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jul 2007 8:20pm
Nice one matey.

Posted By: Waddi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Jul 2007 6:19am
Looking very smart matey, That exhaust is gonna look beastly, cant wait to see it on, hurry up and fit it and take some photos.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2007 7:01pm
Right, spent some time on it over the weekend.

Realised the exhaust is totally different to the one on mine (oh well)

So I've cut the cat off the downpipe and I'm gunna buy some stainless pipe to connect the downpipe to the backbox.

Just bought a Spal 11 inch electric fan to go behind the radiator which will make a lot more room in the engine bay as I wont have to have the big stupid shroud.

Also tried to fit my exhaust manifold and after about 2 hours gave up. I need to lift the engine up again (thats how I got it out) by jacking up the head (engine sits on an angle) so I can get the bolts lined up as the steering column is in the way. Very Akward.

Gunna clean the inlet manifold and the rocker cover over the week ready to fit next weekend, then the inlet manifold, injectors, oil spray bar, rocker cover e.t.c can be fitted.

Still need a new camshaft pulley and oil filter housing gasket, but looks like I'm going to have to go to BMW over in Liverpool for them as nowhere sells them frown

Might buy my steering wheel next and some dials. I'd love these ones, but they're in KPH frown
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2007 7:05pm
bloody hell mate sounds like you been busy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2007 7:20pm
lol not really done fook all this weekend. I was hoping to have it started.

But now that I got my fan, all I need is the camshaft pulley and oil filter housing gasket, cam belt, some atf oil, oil, water e.t.c. and it should be running.

Should be getting some performance HT leads too this week.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Aug 2007 7:25pm
lol ok so you going to be busy then raftl
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Aug 2007 5:26pm
sounds like uv got a bit 2 do then mate. were u gettin the diels from?
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Aug 2007 7:51pm
if you want stainless pipe let us know the dimensions as I can get nice thin wall stuff from work for ya.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Aug 2007 10:50pm
cheers for the offer matey, but I've just bought some pipe and a reducer from a site called www.burtonpower.com

Dials, looks like I'm getting them off eBay. Can't get them same ones in mph, so going for ones that look a bit shitter, but they'll do.

Gave BMW a phone today, parts from them were suprisingly pretty cheap, so should be picking them up from Liverpool on Saturday smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Aug 2007 3:48pm
Got a length of stainless pipe for my exhaust and some stainless flexi-exhaust pieces to allow me to de-cat and put the cat back in come MOT. Only thing is, they might be too large in diameter for the downpipe, but I will have to check if it's not raining tomorrow.
I'll also be fitting my electric fan and sorting out a bit of wiring too (Scudo_Andy - It draws 6A wink )

Also bought my steering wheel, a new cam sprocket and a couple of gaskets from Williams over in Liverpool.

Posted By: Matty GTI Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Aug 2007 8:32pm
sorry mate im not really into the wheel at all, i just cant imagine it sliding through ya fingers very well
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Aug 2007 6:09pm
Fair doos for the comments matey, it's similar to the one in my civic, and just wanted it ever since I saw it.

Anywho, didn't get much done this weekend what with it raining and all.

Couldn't really sort the exhaust in the rain, but managed to sort it so that the length of stainless pipe I bought fits straight on to the downpipe in place of the cat.

Fitted my fan, but I've just used plastic ty-wraps, been trying to get some stainless ones from work, so I will probably replace them before I try to run it.

Struggled again for about an hour trying to fit my exhaust manifold on, but to no avail. tried jacking up the engine block which I did to get it out, but still no luck.
Looks like i'll have to take the steering column shaft apart and fit it that way - really wanted to avoid fooking with my steering thumbsdown

On a good note, got my new steering wheel fitted smile

Got next week off so I'm really hoping the weather turns out nice so I can finally see if it starts or if I've just fooked it up lol.

pray Fingers crossed it will!

Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Aug 2007 7:09pm
good work mate really like the wheel looks smart thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Aug 2007 7:52pm
Cheers smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 5:15pm
Finally got somewhere today.

It was a Grrr to take apart the steering column, Took about 2 hours to smack apart, spending most of the time underneath the car.

Eventually, it came apart and the manifold and downpipe went on with ease.

Next to do is fit the rest of the exhaust system and start fitting the inlet side

Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 5:32pm
good work joe wink

you wearing a cape with a wheel like that..

I like it smile
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 5:46pm
nice work mate, may c this one day..... happy
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 6:22pm
nice one mate looks like it been one hell of a job glad you got there in the end thumbsup
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 6:37pm
Welldone matey you worked hard today.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 7:26pm
Cheers for the comments laugh

Not much more to do til its running now, then I'll be getting interior and exterior mods done if it runs ok smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2007 7:53pm
coming along well but have to agree with matty the wheel should stay with the kind of cars like civics etc not bmb, bmw's are meant to be classy and sophisticated. Hope its runs okay when all completed keep up the good work
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:46pm
Got a bit more done today.

got the arse end of the exhaust fitted and it fits perfect laugh

just need a few more hangers and fixings to hold the other side.

Only problem is, I have a fairly big hole in my boot above where the exhaust needs to be fitted so I need someone to weld it for me as I have no welding skills or tools.

Just needs a plate welding over it and perhaps a stud welding to it too so I can hang the exhaust off it.

Have to say, Im quite impressed with the way the ehxaust looks though, I'm proud of myself lol.

Just gotta get the rest of the system so its easy to swap the cat and the pipe around come MOT time. All that I need to do then is fit the inlet side, wire up my fan, fit a new cambelt, get a new HT lead sensor or new HT leads, oil, water e.t.c then ready to run laugh

Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:52pm
takin shap mate shame about the hole in the boot
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:54pm
I've know about it for a while, just forgot about it and didnt think that the otehr part of the exhaust would be sitting directly underneath it smack
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:54pm
that looks smart mate good work might no some one who can sort hole out for you will let you no monday thumbsup
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:54pm
that exhaust looks sweet mate, bet it sounds good too thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:57pm
Originally Posted by jonah
that exhaust looks sweet mate, bet it sounds good too thumbsup

certainly hope so.

it's a Blueflame exhaust off a 323i, and the lad I bought it off said its got a nice deep rumble to it and pops now and again which is just what I want it to sound like lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 9:59pm
Thats a nasty looking hole there matey.

but the exhaust looks great.
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Aug 2007 11:56pm
well done mate, good work in progress, exhaust looks really good, kinda similar to the one jons got on his astra, is it stainless steel? u get a center section done an it will be bloody loud
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2007 12:05am
thanks for the comments smile

Originally Posted by Matty GTI
kinda similar to the one jons got on his astra, is it stainless steel?

tis indeed yes
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Sep 2007 9:07pm
almost ready to run now.

Gunna by myself an arc welder and teach myself how to weld learn

Got my cambelt fitted last weekend, so its all timed up, just needs a couple more bits til its running (fingers crossed!).

I need a bit of mid-section flexible exhaust to join the downpipe to the decat pipe, a timing sensor (probably from BMW Dealer), connect pipes/tubes and cables/sensors, weld the hole in my boot and weld a bracket for the exhaust, buy oil, water and ATF oil.

Heres a couple of pics anyway:

cambelt is stil slack in the bottom pic as I took it before I tightened it, turned it over twice and re-tightened it
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Sep 2007 10:11pm
Well, Just gone and spent £100 on welding equipment shocked
Posted By: MrPhil Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 8:30am
do you need any plates for the repair? if so pm me the seizes and i'll get em done in work 1.2mm up to 3mm if needed.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 8:41am
Coming on very nicely now Joe smile

Gonna be a whole new car when you drive it again smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 12:03pm
Originally Posted by clj85
do you need any plates for the repair? if so pm me the seizes and i'll get em done in work 1.2mm up to 3mm if needed.

Will bear that in mind, cheers wink

Cheers stuy smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 2:26pm
Well done that man wink

What welding stuff did you get?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 4:32pm
ta mark.

I got a 45-100A Arc welder
80x 1.6mm Rods
Auto-Darkening welding mask
Welding Gloves

wink
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2007 5:31pm
good luck with the welding mate thumbsup all i will say is watch out for the sparks on clothes mate
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Sep 2007 10:54am
Christ watch out Joe will be Tack Welding everything lol
You probably know but try and turn it down to the lowest
setting, for metal as thin as your joe.

You don't want to be burning bigger holes.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Sep 2007 1:43pm
glad to see it coming along, I wouldnt go atacking the car with an arc welder your either going to blow holes in it or its going to look like pigeon dropings. honestly your better of with a mig to learn with much easier and the wire will feed into the weld automaticaly. with a stick if you let the gap between the rod and metal get to big it will blow a hole. If you want a neat weld I would go for the tig. I know mig and tig welders are more expensive but using an arc is going to leave poor results. Only my oppinion try it but am sure you will realise. Arc gives nice welds when welding heavy gauge material such as pipe work etc
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Sep 2007 1:45pm
Originally Posted by Johnny Alan
glad to see it coming along, I wouldnt go atacking the car with an arc welder your either going to blow holes in it or its going to look like pigeon dropings. honestly your better of with a mig to learn with much easier and the wire will feed into the weld automaticaly. with a stick if you let the gap between the rod and metal get to big it will blow a hole. If you want a neat weld I would go for the tig. I know mig and tig welders are more expensive but using an arc is going to leave poor results. Only my oppinion try it but am sure you will realise. Arc gives nice welds when welding heavy gauge material such as pipe work etc

withthat

Only cos I know he welds lol.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 10:32am
ive served my time welding i would get a bit of practice first try on thick metal and work ya way down to thin metal lowering the power as you go along mate now if ya gona weld thin plate you will have to put the amps right down and take ya time because if ya rush this it will look like a bunch of grapes lol just take ya time and you willo have no problems mate if ya stuck on anything give us a shout mate.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 6:02pm
cheers peeps, I'm having a few problems with it atm (probably cas im shite) so will start a topic for advice smile

Anywho, a bit more done today, but still not running as the fishhead who I bought my flexible exhaust off did have the size I wanted, so he sent out some slightly larger in diameter for the same price, but it didn't get here before the weekend frown oh well.

Fitted the water pump, injector rail, alternator, cambelt covers, aux pulleys and belts and put my radiator in place. Also fitted new rocker cover gasket and bolted it down. Just got to figure out where a few pipes go now smile

Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 6:13pm
Well done mate, that engine bay is looking very clean happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 6:16pm
ta, tried cleaning it a bit and making it shiney, but it just takes too much time and effort, so ive done what I can be arsed doing for now and when it's running, i'll take them off and clean them better.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 7:44pm
lookin good matey when u think it will be on the road
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Sep 2007 7:47pm
dunno yet, still needs interior doing and to pass its mot smack

probably another few months til its on the road, but perhaps within the next 2 weekends for running

started a topic for some help welding
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Sep 2007 11:48pm
spent more time at my garage today, but got pretty much shit all done frown

the flexi exhaust that I bought is the wrong size as the fishead didnt have the size I wanted in stock so he sent a larger diameter one - so exhaust still not done.

I did get my decat pipe fitted though, and tomorrow I'll fix the duplex part of the exhaust on even with the hold in the boot for now, I just won't use the boot to support it.

went to fit my dizzy cap and snapped a plastic casing in the process, so will have to order a new one from BMW smack

Went to fit my new HT leads and theres a sensor on the 4th cylinder lead, which has damaged when it was running. So I will have to order a new one from BMW, but it seems impossible to fit without cutting the ends off the HT leads, so im sorta stuck about that one....if anyone has any knowledge of that? learn

I did get my hoses all fitted though, so all the intake side is fitted minus the induction kit.

Got my battery down there all charged up, got some 10-40 oil, coolant and water too, so I'm hoping next weekend might be the big startup - fingers crossed!

Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 11:50am
Good work Joe wink
Well Done, If you can get a pic of the sensor ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 12:18pm
2 pics of the sensor, there is no way of splitting it in 2 to remove it off the lead.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 12:32pm
Will it slide up / down the HT ?
The sensor ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 1:10pm
slides up and down fine

looks like an inner part can clip out, but I cant see how that would come off?
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 2:45pm
Take the End of the HT Lead off.
There only screw in.

Then slide the sensor off wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 3:24pm
Take the End of the HT Lead off.
There only screw in.

which end?

neither screw off. tried that.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 4:16pm
They do,
They screw into the copper in the cable.

There just tight that's all.
You might do 3 anticlockwise circles before it gives.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 4:17pm
The end that looks the easiest for you to get access too
and get the sensor off the cable.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 4:49pm
marks right they do just screw in, must admit he is showing his age by saying copper as it not used so much these days. lol.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 5:07pm
I was going to say Bronze lol raftl

I couldn't think of the new material frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Sep 2007 5:10pm
I'll give it a go with the news ones I bought.

Only tried screwing the old ones off, which are bmw ones and theyre moulded.

I need to buy a new sensor first from BMW.

Thanks for the info smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 8:16am
Sorry Joe, but SORT THAT WHEEL OUT!!!

[Linked Image]

It looks like a Klingon or summut out of a stupidly kitted Saxo!!
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 8:53am
that steering wheel looks like it suit zena warrior princess! ya ya ya ya! why did u buy it in the first place? doesn't suit the car at all imo.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 9:16am
lol it may well do, but I just like the look of it.

I agree, it doesnt suit the car, but ahh well lol
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 9:28am
Originally Posted by turbo_stu
that steering wheel looks like it suit zena warrior princess! ya ya ya ya! why did u buy it in the first place? doesn't suit the car at all imo.

Back at that time she wuda used it as a boomerang
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 10:13am
Have to agree with most peps about the wheel BUT it gets people talking about the car matey so its a puller so to speak.

Comming along now matey shouldnt be to long till your out and about again.

(can you still drive though as its been that long raftl )
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 10:49am
That wheel will go with Joe's Shell Suit Perfectly. (Joking)

Different, And after watching the Movie Transformers
its actually a Transformer lol.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Oct 2007 12:15pm
Originally Posted by spinking
Comming along now matey shouldnt be to long till your out and about again.

(can you still drive though as its been that long raftl )

hope so, im away this weekend and ive run out of money until payday now so i'll have to wait til next weekend before i get a chance to start it.

I hope I can still drive!! doh

only need an oil filter and an exhaust adaptor now smile

cheers for comments too
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Oct 2007 9:02pm
couple of pics from t'other week.

Had to order a few new bits from BMW, so will fit them and order another adaptor for my exhaust next week.

I'm away this weekend, but I'm hoping I'll have everything together and started the weekend after (fingers crossed!!!)
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Oct 2007 9:30pm
engines lookin good matey, may get to c ths one day !
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Oct 2007 10:43am
sweet engine joe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Oct 2007 10:18pm
Was hoping to get it started this weekend, but I still need an exhaust adaptor smack

with the posties being on strike atm, I havn't been able to order it, but luckily, the company is fairly local in Ormskirk, so looks like I'll have to get the train up there nice and early on Saturday if I have any chance of getting it running this weekend.

Also waiting on a 35mm - 50mm jubilee clip for a coolant hose, so if anyone has one of these spare, it would be much appreciated.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Oct 2007 10:21pm
If i wasn't busy joe i would have ran you over there Joe.
Will let you know if my plans change.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Oct 2007 10:23pm
no problem mate smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 3:53pm
Went all the way to Lancashire (5 miles outside of Ormskirk - which is a very long way on a bike btw especially being eaten by rabid dogs on tiny islands, but thats not the point, the point is, it was a long way on the train on a bike to ormskirk) today to get my exhaust adaptors.
Got them alright, no problems.
Also got my jubilee clip through the post.
All good, then I went to get my oil filter from Halfords.
They don't even fookin stock it.

Anyone know if Senars is open tomorrow morning?

Otherwise, looks like the cars not gunna be running til at least next weekend frown
Posted By: jonny boy Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 4:24pm
think senars is open till 11 or 12 ring em first
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 4:45pm
thought so, will do

cheers happy
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 4:53pm
senars is shut on sundays, am pretty sure of it.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 4:59pm
d'oh. will give them a ring anyway
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:07pm
am certaint because most garages are closed and that is he majority of their buisness so they dont open. glsd you enjoyed the bike ride lol bet you cant wait to get it sorted and do a way with all that eco freindly power lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:19pm
bah, gutted then, looks like next weekend.

damn right, im f'kin sick of the bike and walkin now lol

Will probably work on it 2moro, and get as far as I can without the oil filter.

Will get some better pics too with my new cam smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:22pm
Just found some pics of the engine before I started stripping it
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:25pm
their is a place in moreton that is open on a sunday called formula 4 am pretty sure they would have one in stock also motorworld and halfords will definatley have one without a doubt.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:26pm
Yeah Formula 4 is good, Jim stocks a lot of stuff in there given the size of the shop.

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:28pm
joe your pictures look like you took them out of a dream smile

ah sooo lovely lol

[Linked Image]
grin
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:29pm
lmao wheels
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 5:31pm
raftl whelan

must have been cold that day

Originally Posted by Johnny Alan
their is a place in moreton that is open on a sunday called formula 4 am pretty sure they would have one in stock also motorworld and halfords will definatley have one without a doubt.

Halfords didnt and said I would have to order it in. Will give Formula 4 and Motorworld a ring 2moro
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Oct 2007 6:22pm

Anyone know if Senars is open tomorrow morning?

no Not on a sunday mate - they only do a 1/2 day on Saturday...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Oct 2007 11:36pm
I left arsing round trying to get an oil filter for this weekend, will get one for next weekend though.

Managed to get a bit done today...

Finished theexhaust system off smile just need to weld my boot so I can fix the duplex in place.

Also got all the connectors and hoses on and fitted a new ignition arm.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Oct 2007 11:38pm
More pics, and better ones of my non-existant interior shocked
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Oct 2007 2:05am
Nice photo's Joe fella, good to see it coming on now, been a long time waiting lol.

When ye expecting to have it fully back on the road?

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Oct 2007 9:19am
Don't like giving timescales as it never works out.

Hopefully back on the road before the end of the year though.
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Oct 2007 2:53pm
where did you get your center pipe mate? just curious
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Oct 2007 3:58pm
Good work Joe, on your own and being very short in height too.

Looking nice the Duplex in deed yes

Did you use any exhaust paste on the Joins ?
"Of the Exhaust that is"

Much better pics happy
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Oct 2007 4:38pm
Don't like giving timescales as it never works out.

Hopefully back on the road before the end of the year though.

Gd luck on ur bike in the winter! U'l need it wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Oct 2007 5:04pm
Originally Posted by Matty GTI
where did you get your center pipe mate? just curious

www.burtonpower.com for the length of s/s pipe, and the s/s flexi exhaust from eBay.

The exhaust has probably cost the most up to now (with the exception of the re-con head) as ive had so much messing about getting the wrong sizes and things. Oh well, learn from your mistakes lol

Good work Joe, on your own and being very short in height too.

Looking nice the Duplex in deed yes

Did you use any exhaust paste on the Joins ?
"Of the Exhaust that is"

Much better pics happy

Cheers Mark. I put paste on all the joints except the ones which are a perfect fit and will be taken off come MOT time wink

Originally Posted by Pomp
Gd luck on ur bike in the winter! U'l need it wink

Haha hopefully it'll be done before it gets too cold!

Picked up an oil filter from Senars before, so fingers crossed, running this weekend yomama
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Oct 2007 9:53pm
Its goin good so far. I have everything fitted engine wise now and filled it with oil and coolant today.

only gotta check everythin over and hope it starts first time.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Oct 2007 10:43pm
looks good mate, fingers crossed it starts 1st time
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Oct 2007 10:45pm
gd shit, u putting everything that u stripped from the interior back into it or u gonna keep the weight to a minimum?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Oct 2007 12:20am
Not going to put the old interior back, I'm getting a leather interior.

I am gunna get a space saver spare wheel and remove my boot install though to keep weight to a minimum.

Think I'll start on a new boot install when its back on the road, as the one I have in atm was a practise to see how to do things and how easy things were.

Fingers crossed indeed kris pray
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Oct 2007 6:30pm
Make sure your battery is nicely charged for the big day wink

No point in being all pumped up and getting half a turn lol

I think you will get her started mate wink

p.s
Take it out of gear so it dont fly across the car park lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Oct 2007 9:36pm
Well, I didnt end up running it.

Its all spot on and ready to go, just have to:
- Plug in the sensor on lead No 4.
- Attach a fully charged battery
- Turn the fooker over smile

Thats why I've left it for this weekend. I wanted to try and start it on a fully charged batetry, as Mark said, no point in being ready and only getting half a turn.

The fella who owns the garage next door to mine, lives round the corner and said he will make sure he has a fully charged battery I can lend for next weekend.

Fianlly finished off the exhaust and put the back end back on the floor today. It looks too small now, used to it sitting up high on the jacks lol.

The hole in the boot seems ok for now as the exhaust isnt directly below it smile

Also fixed the exhaust in the middle to stop it hitting any speed bumps.

Just hope I remember to take the key for next time.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Oct 2007 9:43pm
Looking very good mate wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 5:51pm
Well, big day happened to day, but it did fook all frown

Think the start motor is fooked as its not turning over, but its drawing current. (Battery is fully charged)

Tried twatting the fook out of it, and rocking it in gear but that seemed to do fook all until after about an hour then I heard the starter motor turn, for about a second and then stop and it just went back to doing fook all.

Gutted frown

There was a funny moment when I first connected the battery up and went to start it......D'oh!......

[youtube]bNsi6bSqTmU[/youtube]

Anyone have any ideas anyway?
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 5:52pm
loool PANIC!
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 5:56pm
Yeh turn the alarm off.

If the start motor is on / off in a world of its own
then it could be the solenoid, i'm guessing as you
say the motor its self worked all be it 1 second. think

You know when you say you
Originally Posted by Frustrated Joe
Tried twatting the fook out of it,
Where were you hitting it?

The answers in the detail you see lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 6:09pm
i was hitting both the solenoid and the motor, but mostly the motor lol

think the solenoid could be buggered as it doesnt make a noise when ignition is on

its a git to take off, so i dont want to have to replace it lol
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 6:15pm
Just a Little Tap can be just as effective.

Check the wiring going to the starter / solenoid
failing that its probs a reconditioned one mate frown

Its not ceased is it?
Standing for so long and all ?
Posted By: jonny boy Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 6:33pm
wizz it off (easy said than done lol..) and strip the solenoid down, take out the weight inside (the bit that pushes out the gear) and give it a good ol clean and wipe over with wet and dry to get the shizzit off of it and maybe a lil lubing, see if that helps.

and bench test it before you put it back in, by using jump leads from your battery to the appropriate places
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 7:43pm
yeah, im gunna try that tomorrow, cheers

was goin to take it off today, but it seemed too much of a Grrr, so I left it to do for tomorrow lol

only problem is, I need to charge my battery again now smack

anyone down prenton way 2moro or can lend me a spare charged battery?
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 8:10pm
Just checked my pockets frown

[Linked Image]

No batteries in there frown
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 9:04pm
i have my power pack. (the big yellow thing) you can use that if you like.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 9:13pm
cant you just get a few freind to give you a push and bump start it????
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Oct 2007 9:52pm
if by my friend you mean my missus then yeah lol

I cant see her wanting to push me in the car though.

I might just ask the dude who owns the garage next to me for his battery.

cheers anyway whelan
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Oct 2007 9:02pm
This little fooker was a git....

[Linked Image]

Sore hands, a lot of shouting and abusing and 4 Hours later....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunna take it apart and give it a clean, and test it.

Hopefully I wont need to replace it
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2007 9:57am
Joe i am off today (sunday) give us a call and i have loads of batts in my garage plus if you need i can bump your motor using Donna's car.

(dont replie here though as i still havnt got the net at home)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2007 6:40pm
Took it apart, and everything mechanical seemed fine, all working, nothing sticking.

Gave it a clean and fitted it back in and still nothing happened.

So I'm thinkin its an electrical fault with the solenoid.

Going to see if I can get it repaired or replaced
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2007 10:29pm
If your taking it for a swop / reconditioned one,
ask them to test yours first?

Then you know its not your wiring smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Oct 2007 10:57pm
will do wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th Nov 2007 10:47pm
I took the starter motor to the auto electrical place on green lane.

He tested it, it worked fine, took it apart cleaned the brushes, put it back togetehr and tested it again and all was spot on and he didnt even charge me for it - Would recommend him happy

So I put it back in, and checked the earthing to the engine.
Spotted one which looked like it was tightened but it was actually loose, only by a bit though.

So I got to this stage early Saturday afternoon:

[youtube]3XtPk9AkL9M[/youtube]

As you can hear by the 2nd attempt of starting, the battery was dying, so I phoned Mark to help give it as jump start.

After spending about an hour pissing around, we couldnt smell any fuel, so we thought that the fuel pump was fooked. Then I realised, I took the fuse out to de-pressurise the fuel lines before taking it apart smack learn

Then we were getting somewhere...

Now that fuels getting to it, its desparately trying to start, but wont frown

It sounds like theres a knock from the engine sometimes and turning the crank by hand is easy in places, but becomes very difficult to turn in others.

So we came to the conclusion that the timing is out, but I'm pretty certain its spot on.

Anyone help me? as I'm at a loss now and have no idea what to do frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th Nov 2007 11:20pm
Tony...now that you're online..

you think chris may be able to help me? PM me his number plz mate
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th Nov 2007 11:27pm
sending number now matey he will be in bed now though but is off for the next 2days me thinks
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Nov 2007 9:21pm
Anyone free Tuesday around 6:30pm to give my car a tow around the block to get it started?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Nov 2007 9:12pm
Have you got RAC or AA Home Start by any chance? I had a tow start off them, they may be able to help?

Also, I dunno, but when I got the tow start, and I lifted the clutch it kinda pulled back on the van once or twice before it would start.

Id offer to do it in me new car (tis derv), but am not sure I like the idea of putting strain on it just yet lol, especially as the van the RAC used for me was a 2.5 tranny lol, if that gets strain id imagine a 2.0 would be hit a fair bit?

If ye still aint sorted nothin a couple of weeks id be happy to give it a go, but atm im just in two minds about doing it. Summit in me mind I could just imagine me nice new car ending up fooked, im weird like that, dunno why!

You know anyone with a work van who could do it? Nobody cares about screwing their work van lol.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Nov 2007 9:18pm
yeah, one of the lads in work might be able to do it 2moro night, if not, might be able to get one of the work vans later in the week.

I hoping it'll start tomorrow, still gotta syphon my fuel off though
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Nov 2007 9:23pm
Keep me fingers crossed for ye matey, cant wait to see this at a meet again, has been too long! Keep us posted, if nothing happened in a couple of weeks ill give it a go.

If you can get it started, you lookin to the Jan or Feb 08 meet for it to make its grand return?

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Nov 2007 10:17pm
Yeah, I'm hoping to have it done by the new year if it starts, still a lot of work to do which I didnt want to start on til I got the engine running
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 10:42am
If not matey i have a new car which should be able to pull this no probs but wont be at my garage untill i move the old car.

Which will prob be next week.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 4:58pm
Will be towing it later so lets hope it starts!!!

Fingers crossed pray
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 5:05pm
let us all know how it goes matey !
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 6:14pm
Crossing all me bit for yu joe smile

Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 6:41pm
nono
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 7:58pm
Good luck matey...

I hoping it'll start tomorrow, still gotta syphon my fuel off though

Remove the fuel feed, and direct it in to a drum, put 12V to the pump - let that do all the hard work for you wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 8:00pm
3 times round the block, couple of very loud backfires, but still the barstard wont start. frown

Least the van didnt break though lol

Thanks to all who had the confidence in me to vote yes doh

No idea why it wont start though think

I didn't syphon it cas it wouldnt and it was too late to try stuys tip lol. So I just topped it up

Gunna try putting the old parts of ignition system back and try a different coil too.

Could be overfueling, so I'll e-mail the company I bought the head off to see if the performance cams might cause it.

If that doesn't do it, Chris said start again and he'll go through it with me this time making sure everything is spot on.

Some pics:
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 9:03pm
omg no thats not good matey, keep the topic goin so we no how you get on !
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Nov 2007 10:35pm
Nevermind mate.

If anybody knows bm's its Chris

Oh and bmw (i would hope anyway)
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Nov 2007 4:53pm
unlucky mate
Posted By: jonny boy Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Nov 2007 5:14pm
sorry you didnt get it started

my moneys on ignition, it'd have to be overfueling really really bad not to start.... ???.... it should run but it'd be really rough

(on another side note... with you having performance cams, did they give you instructions about when you do fire it up to rag the balls off it for 15 mins, going up and down the rev range, i had to with my performance kent cam, to bed them in?)
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Nov 2007 5:53pm
I'm inclined to stay with Timing (Ignition).
IMO for it to pop and bang it has to be timing mate.

I know we checked lead 1 for a spark Joe but were the
others checked for life?

As daft as it seems it could only be the one sparking?
Or at most 2? And that could cause the same results?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Nov 2007 6:15pm
No information came with the performance cams, they just came fitted in the head.

All 4 plugs are sparking fine.

I should get a reply off the cam manufacturer soon hopefully.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Nov 2007 8:19am
If its fueling and sparking, it must be timing related or ingition related if its not a mechanical problem.

The fact that its back-firing says the fuel is getting there, and being ignited, just not at the right time....

Could also be a problem with the Cam - could be the wrong one, or the overlap duration could be wrong...

Have you done a compression test?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Nov 2007 2:44pm
compression test was fine.

compression on all 4 cylinders.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Nov 2007 3:08pm
...so that kinda rules out the overlap on the cams think

Dizzy and rotor arm think

....running out of ideas now lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Nov 2007 5:19pm
well, thats the next step.

I did replace the rotor arm for a new one, so I'll put the old one back on and use a different coil.
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Dec 2007 8:45am
I have a couple of new ideas Joe,I will let you know when I see you...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 12:41am
Just come back from the garage - been there 5 hours sleep

Massive thanks to Chris who came down to help me at such short notice.

I think he might have found the problem.

The HT leads may be the wrong way round smack

Finished putting it all back together after taking the half the engine apart to get the cambelt off to see if it was timing.

It need a jump to start cas the battery is dead, so anyone up for meeting me at my garage tomorrow to see if my car start for the first time in a year? lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 1:01am
I might be able to fella, where abouts is it?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 6:40pm
Ok....attempt number 2 with the HT leads the right way round this time.....

Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 6:46pm
.....sorry blush
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 9:56pm
Well, it started first time.

Thank fu*k for that!

Now I can start buying bits for it.

Only problems with it is a coolant leak, on the thermostat housing and the exhaust is blowing in the middle.

Will post a video up later smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 10:13pm
congrats Joe smile

Knew it had to be something Gay smile

I bet you never make that mistake ever ever again.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 10:56pm
yeah deffo never make that mistake again.

still got a dodgy idle as you can hear, so think i'll have to replace the idle control valve.

Also, still got a slight knocking, so its either the lifters are drained of oil after sitting there so long or its a knocking from the bottom end. Its nowhere near as loud as it was, so im thinking it could just be the lifters.

[youtube]unHy86YrrjA[/youtube]

cant really see much cas its dark, but at least you can hear it smile
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 11:01pm
quality smile

It sounds like a tractor lol...

Just good to get it turning over again, and starting
with no probs too wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 11:21pm
Good to see you got it going matey... it sounds like my derv lol grin

Cant wait to see it back at a meet in the near future hopefully thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Dec 2007 11:52pm
hopefully going to try and get it ready for februarys meet.

Looking at buying these coilovers....

any suggestions - good/bad/nice/go for springs instead?
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 8:09am
Joe save yourself a load of money and just get lowered springs and shocks...coilovers are great for the track etc but too severe for everyday use.A decent lowering kit will give you the look you need mate
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 8:09am
Bumpy as you like but well worth buying mate.

Glad to see it running cantbelive how late you tayed at the garage to work on it welldone party
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 9:21am
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
This is a 40mm lowering kit on my old 328i sport
Posted By: jonny boy Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 5:19pm

Also, still got a slight knocking, so its either the lifters are drained of oil after sitting there so long or its a knocking from the bottom end. Its nowhere near as loud as it was, so im thinking it could just be the lifters.

Originally Posted by jonny boy

(on another side note... with you having performance cams, did they give you instructions about when you do fire it up to rag the balls off it for 15 mins, going up and down the rev range, i had to with my performance kent cam, to bed them in?)

did you ever find out about the run in time for your cams?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 6:10pm
Cheers Tony.

Them coilovers are not much more than lowering springs and shocks. But if they're better for everyday use, I might get them instead.

did you ever find out about the run in time for your cams?

I didn't find out, you recon I should do that to get them run in?
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Dec 2007 10:57pm
bedding in a new cam usually means not letting the car idle, i.e kepping it above 2k. glad to hear you finally got it running!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Dec 2007 1:07pm
cool, will run them in over the weekend then me thinks.

bought a 5000k HID kit, so should get that soon.

Going to look at buying the alloys below tonight and im also looking at getting these headlights:
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Dec 2007 5:25pm
Now its started Joe you can spend all the money you saved smile
Shouldnt be too long before we see your cherriby little
face going down the road smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Dec 2007 5:35pm
weyheeeey! Good news!

Glad it was something fairly simple too!
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Dec 2007 5:59pm
yeh, nice one joe, those parts will look good too, like the head lights too ! happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Dec 2007 11:20pm
Cheers for comments

I picked up the alloys before. They're in pretty decent nick, well worth what I paid for them.

I'll be sanding them down tomorrow and maybe start paint them white.

Also should be buying my carpet tomorrow.

I'm after some M3 leather seats too after I put my carpet in. I will put up a post of what they look like in the wanted section so if anyone comes accross them, let me know smile
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Dec 2007 9:43am
these seats by any chance??
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Dec 2007 12:41pm
yeah mate, the ones that were in your old m3, but in black
Posted By: CustomIce Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Dec 2007 1:06pm
mmmmmmm, nice!
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Dec 2007 4:03pm
they're sweet matey....
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 12:48am
Started it again tonight with the help of a jump start from chris (aceritz) and pomp - cheers.

Got my fan wired up so that works nicely.

Thermostat housing is still leaking and I think its causing an air pocket in the coolant system as it dangerously overheats after running for about 20 mins.

Need to try and get that sorted.

Cant find anywhere to buy carpet from, but hopefully i'll be buying some at the weekend.

HID Kits arrived today from Hong Kong, so I'll be installing them when I get my new headlights in the new year.

Finished sanding my new alloys down, so should be painting them this week.

Tonight I swapped the idle control valve for a spare one I had so it idles much better now smile

Video of it running:

[youtube]3KVI0jjmgGU[/youtube]

Still sounds like a tractor as the exhaust is stll blowing. Hopefully fix that soon too.
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 2:37am
thumbsup glad to see it stared dude all the long hours and the hard work you ave put in to gettin it goin yipee

hope to see ya on the road soon matey and will be nice once finished cant wait to see it at its best at the meets

clap
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 6:04am
Started it again tonight with the help of a jump start from chris (aceritz) and pomp - cheers.

Its alrite, even tho u used chris's car lol. Give me a ring any time if u need anything I'll try me best to pop up if i aint doin nothing an Soz i cudn't stay long like. I wuda stayed if i didnt have any plans. I thought u wanted a lift to new brighton wen u called me lol, anyways once ur cars bk up n running sud see you out n about more tease
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 6:06am
Lol, thats one thing ive found out I cant do, give jump starts.

Still cant wait to see this car back on the road haha, tis a really sweet car, glad you didnt sell it in the end all that time ago fella!

smile
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 8:13am
I have the numbers for loads of BMW specialist breakers-if you want them (for a carpet etc) just let me know mate...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 6:23pm
thanks for comments.

Chris, no worries, I'm after retrimming it myself, so I'll just get some off cuts or something.

I'm off to my garage in a sec and will be needing a jump start, so if anyone can come round and help about 8pm, it would be much appreciated pray
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 8:01pm
Will see you in about 5mins matey
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 8:32pm
Sorry i didnt saty mate but your mad as its far to cold.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Dec 2007 11:12pm
No worries lol cheers for them batteries tony, but they didnt have enough in them to get it started frown

Think i've fixed the coolant leak now though - re-tapped the hole as the thread had been stripped, and seems to hold fine. Also made a gasket for the thermostat housing to stop any futher leaks.

Topped up with new oil as the old stuff had petrol mixed in with it from the many failed attempts at starting.

I bought 2 LED computer temperature sensors last week too, so I will just cut the molex connectors off and i'll be fitting one sensor inside the car and one outside so I know how chilly it is lol.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 9:18pm
Made a start on painting the wheels last week.

I've sanded them all down, so all they need is painting.

Finally finished the first one today - it's taken me 2 days.

Not the best of jobs as I hate prep work for painting and never get it smooth enough, but looks pretty good.

Another 3 to go....
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:03pm
looking good dude....this is like a late christmas present...hopefully shell be done before I go back to uni...and ill get to see all the hard work man
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:18pm
Cheers.

I'm trying to get it back on the road by end of jan/start of feb, so probably not before you go back.

Still a lot of work to do and a lot of money to spend frown
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:21pm
heres hoping tho.....im gonna have to take a year out of uni anyway end of this uni year....so if i can get a placement near to home..i should be back quite a bit..and possibly see her when shes finished
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:51pm
iv just gone throudh all the pages n it looks like ya bin throuh alot gettin ya car to how it is now smile
i was inreged all through cant wait for more picks n posts to look at
i cnt wait to c the final looks laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:54pm
cheers matey happy
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2007 11:58pm
wow them wheels look fresh mate. good job
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 12:29am
ta mr whelan smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 12:53am
Originally Posted by Wheels
wow them wheels look fresh mate. good job

I thought that aswel, maybe i might hire Mr joe if i wana get mine resprayed haha.

car will look gd with them wheels.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 12:58am
love white wheels ... can only think of one white car ive seen with white wheels from the top of my head which was a sunny gti-R, sure they will look great on the beemer too tho!
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 1:01am
Bravo_Sean ma cousin had white alloys for couple weeeks they looked quite good too smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 1:16am
cheers for the commets fellas.

I've seen another white e36 with similar white wheels and I thought it looked the dogs bollocks, so I thought I'd do the same with mine
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 1:45am
hehe y not... have good feelins bout this car mate... was it u that had bought new lights but needed to fit em?
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 11:02am
You did a good job on them wheels mate, You ever done it before ?

Cars looking very nice by the way smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2007 11:59am
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
hehe y not... have good feelins bout this car mate... was it u that had bought new lights but needed to fit em?

Yeah, I've bought a 6000k HID kit, but just waiting for christmas and new year to be over so I can order some smoked angel eye headlights from America.

Originally Posted by Bravo__Sean
You did a good job on them wheels mate, You ever done it before ?

Never painted wheels before, but painted lots of bits on my car and had many failed attempts lol. As I said, its not the best of jobs as I had doing prep work before painting, but it'll do smile
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Dec 2007 11:41am
nice rims mate
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Dec 2007 1:52pm
wheels look spot on mate...hurry up an get it back on the road cant wait 2 see it when its finnished

kris
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Dec 2007 11:19am
glad to hear its all working now, alloys are coming along well and them m3 seats are going to set you back a shit load of cash, seen them on ebay a few times and they go for loads, lokking gud anywayz
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st Dec 2007 1:42am
Cheers rhys.

All 4 wheels are now done, thought I'd do a quick chop to see what they might look like.

And theres just a random image of my car in the rain smile
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jan 2008 9:34pm
wheels look great joe, ur gettin there now matey ! thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jan 2008 9:59pm
Cheers.

Once I've had it lowered, I'll be fitting the wheels.

I'll be ordering headlights and springs sometime next week and finish off painting the trim smile
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jan 2008 10:10pm
nice one joe, think i'll actually see it in the matal one day ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jan 2008 10:13pm
I'm hoping to have it done and on the road before the end of February pray
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Jan 2008 10:16pm
I'm hoping to have it done and on the road before the end of February pray

whoop whoop ! hope so matey..... yomama bananadance party
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Jan 2008 7:24pm
Bought a few more things....

40mm / 35mm Lowering Springs which I should be fitting sometime this week.

M3 Replica Spoiler with brake light - Just needs painting

Angel eye headlights should come sometime this week from America, and I'll be fitting my HID kit smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Jan 2008 9:31pm
joe, mate, i think it's time to call it a day and scrap the car.

ha ha, how long has this been off the road man, sort it out.
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Jan 2008 9:44pm
Nice one matey was working with Chris today and your MAD wanting to fit the springs tonight raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Jan 2008 9:45pm
its been almost a year now.

Give me a few weeks and I'll be back laugh

Tony, I didn't know it was raining lol I just wanna get it done an back on the road asap.
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Jan 2008 10:49pm
na joe wants to wait exactly a year before he'll have something to celebrate for.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 12:48am
Lowered 35mm at the back.

Still need to do the front.

Also got my new smoked angel eye headlights and fitted the HID kit, just needs wiring up now smile

Old one is still fitted on the left hand side
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 1:20am
love them headlights its cuming along nice joe thumbsup
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 11:15am
was the backs easy mate an the light looks good matey
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 12:46pm
turned out to be a peice of piss.

cheers for helpin me the other day mate
Posted By: CustomIce Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 12:48pm
Looking good mate, keep up the good work smile
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 12:53pm
Love the new lights mate, Keep up the good work its coming along nice smile

Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 12:57pm
Joe mate, there seems to be some bits missing from the side of the car LOL.

Coming on well mate. can't wait to see the finished product. Not a fan of BMW's but i'm sure you will make me change my mind won't you.

When i get my springs fancy fitting them for me for a few quid ????

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 1:00pm
cheers

daz, chris bmw did it for me while i watched lol
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 1:04pm
well thats a pain. oh well i have to pay a garage.

you doing your trims and handles all white?

if so i think that will look nice.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 1:05pm
they're all done mate, just need fitting.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 1:06pm
when you goona be back on the road then matey ????
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 3:11pm
im hoping for febs meet, but theres still a lot to do and buy
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 3:12pm
yes well joe, the buying can be done over time, get it on the road, i bet your legs are killing you from all the walking LOL
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 3:14pm
yeah lol sick of it.

apart from the seats and carpet, its only small bits to buy, but i want to get the seats before its on the road, then tax, mot and insurance.

Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 3:16pm
agh those dreaded 3 words,

Tax, insurance, MOT. i need all of them. pain int he ass isn't it. would rather be spending the money on other stuff. but there no good if the car falls apart i suppose
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 6:52pm
Tax, insurance and MOT are gunna cost £300 alone, and thats if it passes the MOT first time.

I know its gunna fail on a split CV joint boot, but I can't be arsed fixing it lol
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 6:53pm
little bit of gaffa tape mate. they will never see it. LOL

Mine will prob be over that, insurance will be on direct debit but then 6 months tax is 100 and the MOT oh god, im putting it in to fail so i can fix whats wrong with it.

Good luck with it matey
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 7:00pm
cheers.

im only after 6 months tax too so its out of sync with the MOT
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2008 7:03pm
and away from new year and x-mas thats my plan aswell.

Great minds think alike
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Jan 2008 8:10pm
Wired it up today smile

The ballast for the other one is fooked, so I'm gunna have to get another one frown

The old on is still on the drivers side for comparison
Posted By: scoop Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Jan 2008 9:47pm
doing a good job on this car joe,come a long way.

Are those headlights legal? cos ive heard aftermarket HID kits are illegal due to the beam pattern being crap. or do projector lenses solve that problem?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Jan 2008 10:03pm
no idea. Hope they're legal though lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Jan 2008 11:16am
Judging by those pictures, the headlights are on the wrong side? On my E46, the headlights are on the outside, is this not the case on the E36?

Also, it would make more sense to have the main headlights using the projector lens? Unless both are projectors?

If, and you probably havent, you have put the bulb in the wrong side then you are effectively driving around with main beam on all the time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Jan 2008 11:20am
With regards to legality, it is a legal requirement that cars fitted with HID's as standard from factory need self leveling systems and headlight washer systems.

However, whilst strictly speaking, HID kits are illegal for other reasons, its not because you dont have self leveling motors or headlight washers and they will pass their MOT. It would take some pretty anal police to pull you over for them and this is more likely to happen if you are driving round without the projector style lenses.

Ive got an HID kit on my newish BMW through standard projector lenses and it looks standard, so no worries there.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Jan 2008 1:05pm
I may have wired up the wrong side yeah, but I was just doing it quick to see what it would look like.

I think the way the old ones work is the inside one is full beam and the outside one is the main beam.

Cheers for the reminder wink

I think both might be projectors too.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Jan 2008 10:45am
Originally Posted by Alex85
It would take some pretty anal police to pull you over for them..

haha! pc raftl
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Jan 2008 3:21pm
its lookin really good now joe.... thumbsup get it finished and on the road...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 12:26am
Fitted the new wheels to the rear, will put the front ones on hopefully tomorrow after the front is lowered (If it's not raining again)

Thanks to Daz for the lift thumbsup

Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 12:27am
loving it mate, bet your well smiling now.

As we where saying all white cars look nice.

Totally colour coded.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 12:28am
Lookin good that matey; the arches look a bit wide for the wheels though, is there any trim that can be put on to circumvent this?

How much was it lowered by?

Still amazed at your will to keep working on it after so long off the road, keep it up matey, will be great in summer!!

thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 12:39am
Cheers Daz an Matt

I thought the arches are wide too, thats why I got 17's. They fill the gap more than the 15's, but any bigger and it'd cost me a fortune on tyres and plus it would rub.

It's lowered by 35mm on the back and I have 40mm spring for the front.

Can't wait til its on the road, I was driving it around the garages in circles before just to get the feel of driving again lol

heres a pic of what the old alloys were like:
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 12:40am
sweet as mate. you got a pic of the m3 from that year cos i'm sure they only rolled on 17s to compare it to
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:21am
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:25am
I think thats just lower than yours is all mate.

What about the alpina B11 is it ???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:34am
the B11 is the E32.

Mines the E36 model - which is B8

The arches do look a closer than mine think
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:37am
I'm sure alpina took the micky and where sticking 19" rims on their cars.

Another option is to put some spacers on to try pushing them out a bit and see if that helps, push them out 5mm ??
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:38am
its a possibility, I'll see what it looks like when the front ones are on smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:39am
ok joe, it's a deal, get them on and post some pictures for us all to see.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 1:58am
if you look at this picture of the B8 the front wheel look slike it doesn't fit the arch

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 4:21pm
looking good matey when u doing the fronts
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 4:42pm
Looking very nice mate, Keep up the good working, Im loving this topic btw wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 6:40pm
cheers lads, i'm doing the front tonight with your help mr kris lol

Also fitted my reverse camera last night, so need to get an in-car screen for it smile
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jan 2008 6:55pm
i u sure are mr joe lol
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Jan 2008 5:06am
Well boys how did it go today ???
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Jan 2008 5:38am

Also fitted my reverse camera last night, so need to get an in-car screen for it smile

pm customice about 1 joe....
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Jan 2008 7:39pm
Originally Posted by Cali_16v
if you look at this picture of the B8 the front wheel look slike it doesn't fit the arch

[Linked Image]

Mine wheels never looked right on the e30 cos the front arches are higher than the rears.

Looks good though Joe.

PS you phoned my old phone the other day clap
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 1:57am
haha tony you'll have to PM me your new number matey I havn't got it.

heres how it looks at the mo after me and kris spending 3 hours trying to lower the front without the right tools.
Thanks very much for your help kris smile

only got the drivers side lowered, and the strut still isnt tightened so it will still go a bit lower.
Ordered the right tools so should get the other side done this weekend.
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:33am
Nice wheels Joe thumbsup

The back wheel looks about right wink
But as you say the front needs to come down a bit more.

Good Good in the the land of Joe happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:15pm
it took another 3 hours to do the other side of the front, but its finally done now.

Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:16pm
woo hoo looks amazing!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:17pm
Lookin good that fella, looks a fair amount lower at the front then it did yesterday.

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:17pm
sweet mate, looks spot on with them wheels, get the trim back on.

one think i will say is, will the springs settle and drop lower as i think it could go lower !!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Jan 2008 11:24pm
yeah the springs will settle and go lower.

still got some trim to paint before I fit it.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Jan 2008 1:27pm
lookin nice
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Jan 2008 2:20pm
looks good joe. what's next on the list
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Jan 2008 3:51pm
Whats left to do is:

- Finish off my headlights
- Fit the cat back on
- Front strut brace
- Paint and fit rear spoiler
- Tint the rear windows
- Fit new carpet
- Finish painting trim
- New wheel centre caps
- New bonnet badge
- Leather interior
- DVD Stereo with screen

Should all be happening in the next week or two, and hopefully it will be taxed and MOT'd before Februarys meet smile
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Jan 2008 10:25pm
have you got the leather interior yet?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 12:09am
not yet, so if anyone finds a decent set - doors cars and seats (for a 4 door saloon), please let me know smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 1:34am
I know what you mean about the front looking so much higher than the back, same with mine, although granted this does exaggerate it a little due to the incline...

[Linked Image]

Presumably why most lowering springs always lower the front more than the back?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 1:42am
yeah, I wondered that myself why the front is lower than the back.

The ones I have fitted are 40mm front and 35mm back
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 1:49am
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/full-leather-...374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

presume you would want black though? but good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-E36-M3-v...374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pretty sure these would fit, and you would be left with a redundant handle to tilt them forwards... and wow, what a seat!

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 10:20am
Yeah, spot on that M3 leather, only problem is its pickup only, but I'll see if I can get it.

Nice one wink
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 1:24pm
you seent he buy it now price on the M3 leather mate £650.00

thats more than i paid for my car.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 3:04pm
pretty decent price for M3 leather that mate lol
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 3:09pm
i seem to remember you budget was a lot lower than that though mate ??????

You come inot money ??? Lotto win maybe ???
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 3:10pm
IIRC the 4 door E36 is quite rare though isnt it?

If you got the 3dr leather, only the front seats are of any use.... frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jan 2008 5:34pm
no lotto win mate, I wish! Tis a bit higher than I wanted to pay, but it's pretty much the main thing to buy to get it on the road as soon as.

Yeah, 4dr interior is quite rare, and yeah the front seats would be the only thing I could use frown

Some breakers sell the back seats separate, so if I can find Coupé front seats cheap enough, might be worth buying them separate - not £650 though just for front seats
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 12:45am
Finished wiring the headlights tonight.
One of the ballasts for the HIDs is fooked, so I'll have to try and find out whats wrong with it.

Switched the HID bulbs around too so it is now on the outside thumbsup

Also decided to remove my boot install as I probably won't use it and it was taking up space and adding extra weight.
Posted By: scoop Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 1:41am
coming along well,cant wait to see it with trim back on,and with the plans completed it'll be pure sexwee.

my mate fitted E46 front seats into his E36 and they fitted well,with little effort,rear seats may fit too with some tweaking? and leather E46 seats may be more common than E36?

fancy it,cant wait to see leather in it tho
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 2:59am
Scoop you will have to pop down through the summer sometime, maybe on the BBQ event or something and am sure Joe will
have finished with his car by then hopefully.
Posted By: scoop Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 3:02am
down on 16th feb mate,maybe for 2 days maybe a week,if its a week i may attend the meet if there is one,still pub meets?
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 3:10am
Oooo, well Cali's unofficial members meet is on the 13th of feb in a pub but the official members meet is the next day
the 14th of feb at the rock.

Am sure some people will be out and about tho but you can always set up a meet and get people out when your
back in the Wirral if you like.

Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 3:14am
Finished wiring the headlights tonight.
One of the ballasts for the HIDs is fooked, so I'll have to try and find out whats wrong with it.

Switched the HID bulbs around too so it is now on the outside thumbsup

Also decided to remove my boot install as I probably won't use it and it was taking up space and adding extra weight.

Its coming along nicely now, just need to get them bumpers things back on and the badge. then sort the rest
of the mods out on your list.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 1:44pm
Originally Posted by Pomp
Oooo, well Cali's unofficial members meet is on the 13th of feb in a pub but the official members meet is the next day
the 14th of feb at the rock.

Official members meet is on the 7th of Feb Pomp tease

Its coming along real nice now Joe, Still loving them lights laugh
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Jan 2008 2:47pm
get the trim on matey, will transform the whole look of the car.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Feb 2008 6:20am
to all the beemer crew from grandad beemer (7series) i have a very good friend who can sort u second hand beemer bits in Middlesbrough UK an will happily email his number to u if u wish, he only breaks and builds beemers and has done for years, he is a middle aged man not a cowboy and comes highly recomended and saved me an absolute fortune, all his work on mine has to be stringently tested with my car doing the job it does, to give you ideas he was gonna sort me a new(used) interior for 250, all leather on a 740il. If this helps in any way i will be more than happy to pass u his number, and yes he can do mail order
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Feb 2008 11:50am
if you could PM me his number please mate, that would be great smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 1:52pm
I have nearly everything for it now, just a few more things to buy.

It is now insured and the rediculous sum of £190 a month snob

Here's a few things that I have bought for it recently, which I just need to fit next week:

Dark Smoke Rear Tints
M3 Spoiler with Brake Light
7" Touch Screen DVD Player with TV Tuner, Bluetooth, Card reader + More
Digital Video Recorder with Motion activation supports 2 Video Inputs
M-Tech Titanium Gear Knob
Toad Tracker with Text Alert
New Ballast for Headlight
M3 Electric Heated Leather Seats
Black Carpet
Sheet of Polysytrene to fill the gaps under the carpet
Roll of Foam Insulation for Noise reduction inside.

and thats all I can think of for now.

Seats were a bit shitted up, but will sort that with a bit of cleaning smile

Should be on the road soon smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 1:53pm
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 1:54pm
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316ii - 9th Feb 2008 2:26pm
Woo hoo its getting along very nicely now, will see this on the road very soon then.
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 2:51pm
you been busy spendin joe! gonna look good !
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 5:51pm
how much did you give for the Vadars Joe? just seats or the full trim??
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Feb 2008 7:08pm
Just short of £450 for just the seats.

More than I wanted to pay, but I was after heated ones and the rear seats are like new.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Feb 2008 8:01am
sorry been away, jimmy 07712345666 and no that is a genuine number he is based just off the a66 in boro, give him a buzz, and one more important thing that really has to be said,

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESPECT to da car its looking good my boy, well done
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 2:07am
Seen this in the flesh tonight and its starting to come together now smile

Sounds really nice aswell, Not too loud raftl wink
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 11:20am
have u wired up all the seats?, and did it have the loom already in to do that or did u make ur own?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 11:24am
seats aren't in yet, but theres only a few connections to be made.

Power to the electrics to adjust the seat and power to the heaters.

Don't think the wiring is in for it, but either way I'll put my own wiring in and a switch to stop people adjusting my seat and switches for the heated bit.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 3:00pm
get a loom from jimmy and use the memory function to lock your seats and mirrors and steering wheel (if elec) in place and you also get the three memo store buttons for you, the wifes settings and the dog( why three i do not know) think you get these options on the baba 3 series i do in the big un
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 3:01pm
07712345666, jimmy is the haynes manual of bmw lol, even for free advice
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 6:58pm
will have a think about it cheers

Cat is back on for the MOT and its not blowing anymore

Also got new bonnet and boot badges, locking wheel nuts and new BMW centre caps for the wheels but they're too big thumbsdown

replaced the ballast for the other headlight so they both work now happy forgot to take pictures though smack

Window tints should be fitted at the weekend if I dont get pissed off with them.

The floor is not levelled out using Styrofoam in the gaps and I've started fitting the carpet on the passenger side. Should be done at the weekend and hopefully seats fitted too.

Thanks to Sean for helping me out getting everything too and from my garage happy
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 7:01pm
Really coming together now mate smile

No probs mate, I'm happy to help :), Any time i can help i will smile
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 7:12pm
joe mate ya car looks mint its all comin together now so the hard work is lookin to ave paid off happy

cant wait to see it on the road keep up the hard work matey
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 7:13pm
exhausts are lookin nice
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 8:44pm
how much u paying for window tints, i paid 100 english for mine (not windscreen) in Newcastle, u want the lads number?????
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 9:03pm
already got the tint film, pre-cut for £35
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 9:23pm
sorted, its coming along nicely my boy. show pics when done. you doing it or getting someone too do it
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Feb 2008 10:03pm
I'll be doing it. Done all the work on this myself so why stop now wink
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 12:59am
i take my hat off to you, well done
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 7:57am
thumbsup Joe, very impressed matey, startin to see the light at the end of the tunnel i guess... Cant wait to see this. Well i'm off for another 2.5 weeks, go back on 2nd march, so if i can help u before then i will, now i can drive... happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 10:12am
Looking good Joe smile

TBH I had my doubts when I saw pictures of it with no interior / engine - thought it would be one of those never never projects...

...I still recon your gonna regret not dropping a 6 pot in there wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 10:15am
I already am stuy, theres just too much space under the bonnet
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 8:13pm
V8 if it fits, has to be done
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 8:20pm
would do if I started over and had the money to do it lol

Electric seats work anyway smile

Will test the heater function in a bit
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 8:21pm
sweet about the seats, u gonna 6 pot then
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 8:29pm
no no, spent too much on the engine already.

If I were to do another BMW project or buy another one, it would only be a 6 pot never 4 hate them even though I no know them pretty much inside out
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 8:33pm
cant argue with that dude, enjoy what you got there, its lookin good
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 11:12pm
ok, just shit myself by setting off the seatbelt buckle tentioner while trying to find which wires give me heated ass cheeks.

I shit one and the stupid thing is, I did it again on the other seat.

Will be removing them now as they obviously cant be used again and plus they weigh a bit too.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Feb 2008 11:16pm
attention ! when installing new leather seats in your car do not set off the detonators for the pretensioners,

speak to chiccy, she seen a good deal on nappies earlier should u wish to continue crapping your pants.

oh and incase u wondering yes I am pissing my pants laughing lol
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Feb 2008 8:07am
ok, just shit myself by setting off the seatbelt buckle tentioner while trying to find which wires give me heated ass cheeks.

I shit one and the stupid thing is, I did it again on the other seat.

Will be removing them now as they obviously cant be used again and plus they weigh a bit too.

raftl raftl omg...... did you nnot get any sort of instructions for the wiring...?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Feb 2008 8:39am
...thank fook your not playing round with Airbags omg

...they go off with quite a bit of a bang wink
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Feb 2008 9:56am
imagine him driving it , scary thought
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Feb 2008 12:54pm
no wiring instructions, just 4 connectors for each seat.

still need to see if these other 2 connectors are actually for the heaters
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Feb 2008 11:41pm
Smoked wind deflectors came today from Germany smile

Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 12:00am
what do people actually use these wind deflectors for?? Other then possible increase the co-efficient of the car, I can't understand what else their used for?

Is it so you can the window open when it rains?

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 12:04am
never understood the use of them either, look ugly imo lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 12:13am
never understood the use of them either, look ugly imo lol

Yeah especially on normal car's... on 4x4's they kida suit them as so many have em on, but on normal car's they do look a little out of place... but I still aint got a clue what their for???

Lol grin
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 12:53am
yeah, to stop rain when the windows open and to reduce wind noise
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 1:01am
maybe,maybe not , but then moddin is a personal thing
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 8:21pm
Fitted the wind deflectors today and washed it for the first time in over 12 months.

Also nearly finished painting the rest of the trim, so should fit that tomorrow and I will also try and finish off the carpet and fit the spoiler and maybe the stereo.
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 8:41pm
looking really nice joe, woths that taped to ur rear bumber tho ? is it wiring ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 9:00pm
it is, its for the reverse sensors which I bought aggges ago.

The trim is in the boot with them connected hence the wires going from the bumper into the boot
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 10:34pm
Getting there matey.

I am there at 9am (ish) 2mora if your down there.
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Feb 2008 11:13pm
it is, its for the reverse sensors which I bought aggges ago.

The trim is in the boot with them connected hence the wires going from the bumper into the boot

ahhhh i see... smack you gettin a camera like mine too ?
Posted By: AL Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Feb 2008 12:10am
saw it today in the flesh looks good and the wheels look like you had them sprayed professionaly!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Feb 2008 11:50am
Cheers Al.

Yeah Jonah, got a camera too just need to wire it up
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Feb 2008 11:26pm
Pictures of lights at night
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 8:24am
Looking good Joe, but, that beam pattern is kicking the wrong way (designed for a left hand drive) - MOT Failure that matey frown
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 9:03am
lol, mr doom and gloom is right !, thats gonna piss loads of drivers off too, you'll get flashed to buggery, alter it bud !
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 10:07am
How do I adjust that then?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 10:17am
Where did you get them from mate?

Are they from The US or Europe (or other LHD country)?

Generally the beam direction is in the lense itself - there may be an adjuster on the top of the headlight - you'll have to check.

If theres no adjuster, they are no good on the UK roads, as they wont pass the MOT frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 12:48pm
Gutted, they are from the US frown
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 1:07pm
If they where an Ebay jobbie, send the seller a mail mate.

They have sent you the wrong ones - for a LHD car. The only difference will be a filter inside the lense, which I doubt you can change, but they will be sold for LHD cars, and RHD cars depending of which way the beam should kick...
Posted By: placidmaster Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 2:41pm
my paul did this with angel eyes for a vectra and had the same problem, i am sure he was able to swap something inside each unit around to sort it tho, but that was a vectra tho
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 10:26pm
Started fitting the spoiler before.

I was almost finished drilling and then the battery in my drill ran out and ontop of that, the spoiler was on the roof and slipped off cracking the brake light and balls'd up the paintwork on the bottom of it.

In the process it also took some paint off the drivers door.

Anyway, I will hopefully get hold of a new brake light and respray the bottom of the spoiler.

Most of the trim is now colour coded and fitted.

DVD Player is also fitted, just needs video and audio cables connecting and the TV antenna.

Pics of spoiler not quite fitted just before it decided to throw itself on the floor:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Feb 2008 10:48pm
Wheres my stickers???

The roofracks scud is waiting....!!!!!

Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 9:50am
lookin good mate. u gonna spray the black bits on the bumper
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 9:54am
so whats happening over the headlights joe ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 10:53am
All the trim is getting colour coded smile

I found out the headlight beam an be adjusted both vertically and horizontally on the back of them, but I have no idea how to set it, so will have to look into that.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 11:01am
Thats not what you need mate, that will just move the beam angle / direction, not the actual beam pattern... frown

On my E46 there is a screw you can turn which alters the pattern from left to right so you can drive on the left as in Europe etc...

IIRC the E36 I had previously didnt have this function frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 11:25am
where was the screw stu?

I've emailed the seller, so I'll see what they say
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Feb 2008 11:38am
On the E46 its on the rear of the headlight unit.

Never touched it myself, just saw it had the feature when I looked through the manual when I got the car smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:16am
Colour coded trim is now fitted smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:33am
thumbsup

Looking good Sailor Joey.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:35am
fooking swish mate, told ya it would look the dogs.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:37am
cheers mr waddi and mr daz smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:38am
So come on then when is going back on the road ?????

I waiting to get mine back with MOT then on 27th going to get my tax then i'll be motoring in it, whats your plan ???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:42am
my plan is finish the carpet tomorrow, after that fit the seats, sort out the dvd player, cameras & other gadgets, fix the spoiler, get it MOT'd and if it passes, tax, then I need to get door cards.

If it fails (which it will) hopefully it'll be no more than a few minor faults

I hoping to get it to the next meet, but no promises.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Feb 2008 12:44am
oh joe don't let me down matey. i'll cry if you don't make it
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Feb 2008 1:03am
I seem to be having a bit of bad luck at the moment.

The company who I bought the spoiler off don't offer replacement brake lights, so I'm going to have to try and find a 3rd brake light that will fit it.

I don't think the backs of the rear seats will fit mine as they are from a coupé so I'll have to get looking for standard back seats. The bottom bit should fit though.

Carpet is now fitted and DVD player is wired up.
Also fitted the drivers side mirror.

The seats should be going in this weekend or early next week whenever I have time.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Feb 2008 1:10am
nice one mate coming along well now, keep it up and hopefully it will be done sooner than you think
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Feb 2008 7:03am
Moving along quickly now matey shouldnt be long till your back on the road.

Looking forward to seeing peoples faces when they see it as i think only a couple of us have the photo's dont do it justice.

Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Feb 2008 7:31am
lookin good joe....
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Feb 2008 3:32pm
looks good mate but not really a fan of the sterin wheel
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Feb 2008 1:46pm
Looking forward to seeing peoples faces when they see it as i think only a couple of us have the photo's dont do it justice.

Me being one of them, I must say i can't wait for it to be on the road laugh

Hurry up Joe tease
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Feb 2008 11:32pm
Finally got the seats in tonight. Still need to wire them up and find a standard leather back for the rear seats.

I bought some new centre caps, but turns out the alloys have 50mm centre caps not 68mm as bmw alloys have, so I bought some 50mm Aluminium Stickers for the old centre caps instead.

Also bought a universal brake light to try and fit to my spoiler as the old one is fooked.

Got the video recorder working - it has motion detection and an input and output which I might wire up to the text alert alarm to start recording remotely or to text me if it detects motion smile

All thats left to do now is painting of the rear trim and a fair bit of wiring for all the gadgets I bought.

Hopefully book it in for an MOT next week.

Heres a few better pictures for those who haven't seen it yet

From This:

[Linked Image]

To This:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pictures of the engine I spent months rebuilding:

[Linked Image]

Easily enough space for another 2 cylinders

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DavidB Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Feb 2008 11:55pm
Those seats really do look nice, I bet the difference is immense.
I have to say, the steering wheel looks horrendous!!

Go to Walsh's on Cleveland Street in Birkenhead for your MOT, they've passed my car 100% for the past four years, I'm sure they're a bit passive.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 12:04am
Cheers.

They're a lot better than the crappy cloth ones.

I must admit it the steering wheel does look a bit stupid for the car, but I had a similar steering wheel on my old civic, and I just like the style of it.

For this first MOT, I'm taking it to someone I know because I know its going to fail on a few items, but the fewer the better wink
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 12:17am
As long as the car wont fall apart cos you used your own handy work raftl

good luck joe. seeing as it's gone 12 today is the day for my tax so i know what it's like on the build up to the MOT.

car is coming along well mate. interior looks well good, nice contrast to the white bodywork. next on the list has to be a 6 pot engine.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 12:24am
I hope it won't fall apart lol.

Don't think I'll be spending any more on this motor after its on the road so 6 pot is out of the question unless I buy another motor.

I worked out the other day that I've spent over £3,000 on this altogether since its been off the road.
Might not be money well spent, but I've learnt a lot over the past few months of doing it learn
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 12:37am
looks great that mate, really nice
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 8:44am
all together....almost...cant wait to see it hahahahahaha....last time I saw it was my first meet with everyone..in West Kirby...dear god that was ages ago....
Posted By: scoop Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 8:49am
looks GREAT joe, very good work done by urself,cant wait to see a photoshoot of it once its all together, but for the love of god,get a plainer wheel
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 10:15am
Looking Great Joe smile
Well done to you, there's not many Gay men that can rebuild a car..

The Word "Men" was a Joke lol
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 10:36am
Lookin good Joe Joe!!!

Fingers crossed they go easy on the MOT!

Mark, you need to be careful of gay suggestion, especially when you sent me the following map as a place to collect the ladders at 11pm omg

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=53.4253,-3.07802|16|4&loc=GB:53.42326:-3.08828:16||

wink

raftl
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 11:06am
grin its really comin together now joe, almost there.... those seats look fab, better than sittin on the floor to back your car in the garage.... raftl
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 4:54pm
Really good Joe, Keep it up, Almost there laugh
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 5:01pm
Looking Great Joe smile
Well done to you, there's not many Gay men that can rebuild a car..

The Word "Men" was a Joke lol

pmsl, there's you instantly banned from all garages smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Feb 2008 5:35pm
looking good joe, the white colour and the lights of a night time really seem to set it off in the previous pictures, doing really well keep it up. As with the steering wheel have you ever considered a alpina one
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 1:15am
Almost finished the wiring and just got a bit of the back trim to spray and it will be going in for its MOT.

Just don't want to rush these last few things and forget to do something or cock it up.

Here's something I fitted the other day, see if you can guess what it is..?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A night vision camera

Which is wired up to the video recorder and this is the view you get when you ask Sean to try it out...

[Linked Image]

Like a deer caught in headlights lol

Stereo is now fitted properly too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 1:24am
Really come along Joe smile

That night vision camera is boss, I think its well cool haha smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 3:19am
love then wheels mate! your car looks loooovvvly:)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 3:48am
Nice one matey lookin good!

Hopefully see it at April's meet??

smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 4:53pm
lots of progress since i last looked at it, be good to finally see this in the flesh some time. keep up the good work pal!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 7:05pm
Cheers lads

Originally Posted by MattLFC

Really hope so as I'll be pissed off with myself if its not
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 6th Mar 2008 7:07pm
Cheers lads

Really hope so as I'll be pissed off with myself if its not

Awwww man well keep up the good work, am sure it will be there... if not though, don't stress too much, it will be even better to have it done perfect for summer init!

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Mar 2008 10:30am
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MATE I LOVE YOU MATT I WUV WU WOTS KISSY WISSY
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Mar 2008 10:38am
[Linked Image]

raftl
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Mar 2008 12:15pm
lmfao
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 12:25am
I'm going to put it in for its MOT this week, even though its far from finished as I'm sick of havin no car atm.

I'll finish it off when its back on the road.

Got a few more bits done:
- Wheel centre caps fitted
- Spoiler fitted
- Bought a universal brake light as a replacement for the one off the spoiler
- Bought some LED interior lights
- Painted the last bit of the trim and other mirror
- Bought some neons for the footwells and for behind the front seats
- Fitted the old cloth door cards back in.
- Seats are wired up
- Made an aluminium plate for switches for switching on TV antenna, temperature sensors (internal & external), footwell lights, heated seats e.t.c.

Heres a few pics in the daylight
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 12:26am
Coupel of pics of the aluminium plate for switches, not finished, but you get the idea
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 12:29am
i fookin loves your alloys mate!
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 12:34am
Make sure the car light still can fit in lol
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 2:26am
cigaret lighter*
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 9:47am
don't worry pomp, I'll make sure it'll make it fit
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 6:55pm
looking great mate can not wait to see it thumbsup
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Mar 2008 9:13pm
I found some large BMW window decals in my garage the other day.You can have them if you want Joe?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Mar 2008 12:52am
sure if you dont want them mate
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Mar 2008 2:10am
Didn't really get much done tonight as it was pissing down, very windy, I needed a jump start and I just couldn't be arsed after midnight.

Anyway, seatbelts are now fitted and all of the trim is now colour coded and fitted and so is the other mirror.

Cheers to Sean for the lift and to Tony for the jump start

Heres a video of the view from the front camera in the daylight:

[youtube]KIUk4dQm51Y[/youtube]

Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Mar 2008 6:18pm
Was ment to ask the other day were did you get your camara matey wouldnt mind one (with sound) for driftdays
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Mar 2008 6:22pm
looks fantastic mate well done
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 12th Mar 2008 6:49pm
Cheers Ste.

Tony, my one is without sound, £15 off eBay
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2008 8:08pm
Went for it's MOT today even though its far from finished and it failed, as expected.

The headlights totally failed being American imports so I'll have to put the old ones in until I get UK ones or sort the ones I have.

One of the things I didn't know is that even though I have side repeaters on the wing, as there is the side repeaters on my mirrors too, they also have to be working. I just forgot to wire them up after painting the mirrors.

The only major problem was the exhaust system. I didn't realise how low the car is and one of the clamps was too close to the floor and got caught and knocked the exhaust loose, so it failed on that, but on the way back to the garage, it was rattling like mad and just around the corner from my garage.....

[Linked Image]

...it totally fell, only just hanging on by 1 rubber mount on the backbox.

Anyway, although it's a fairly big list, I'm pretty pleased with it as apart from the suspension, the rest are simple to fix.

It failed on:

- Nearside Front headlamp aim too low (1.6)
- Offside Front headlamp aim too low (1.6)
- Nearside Front headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside (1.6)
- Offside Front headlamp aim beam image kick up to the offside (1.6)
- Nearside Front direction indicator incorrect colour (1.5.A1d)
- Offside Front direction indicator incorrect colour (1.5.A1d)
- Nearside Front door side repeater not in good working order (not working) (1.5.A1b)
- Offside Front door side repeater not in good working order (not working) (1.5.A1b)
- Offside Front front suspension joint has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
- Parts insercure exhaust system has part of the system excessively deteriorated (7.1.1a)
- Front wheels brakes imbalanced (3.7.A.2e)

Advisory Notice issued
- Nearside Front front suspension joint has slight movement at a wishbone pin or bush (2.5.A.1c)
- Exhaust system has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a) Minor leak? It fell apart raftl
- Front and rear number plates only just met requirments

Also, the steering wheel as much as I like it, it too impractical as I cant see the dials and the wire to the horn keep coming loose after wrapping around the steering because of the boss. So I'm going to try and get an M3 steering wheel instead.

I have 2 weeks to sort it, so I should be on the road for the next meet smile
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2008 9:01pm
that not to bad mate you got to be happy with that
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Mar 2008 9:18pm
At least it passed with the new battery.

I would be gutted with a list like that.
But chip away at it joe and we know you will get there wink

Shame about the exhaust lol
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Mar 2008 8:42am
At least its mainly fiddly bits smile

Cant remember if you can buy the lower ball joints and press them in, or wether you need to replace the whole arm on the E36s.

...they can be a right bugger to get out of the rear mounting bush as well - its generally a good idea to replace these with the bottom arms though as they are prone to knocking.

Arms where £40-ish each for pattern parts (Inc pre fitted ball joint), and the bushes £15-ish the pair - again, pattern parts.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Mar 2008 12:44am
Should be ready at the weekend to go back in for it's MOT next week.

I've removed the new headlights, wired the mirror indicators back up, bought a new offside lower arm with both inner and outer ball joints fitted for just over £30, also bought some new wishbone bushes for a tenner - not poly ones, but might upgrade to them later.

Also fitted the exhaust as high up as possible and moved the clamps out the way.

Does anyone have a set of axle stands I can borrow at the weekend as mine are underneath the car. I need them to hold the wheel hub up to replace the lower arm.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Mar 2008 12:53am
good work mate is that everything you needed to do for mot now
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Mar 2008 1:12am
yeah, just gotta bleed the brakes too.

I'm hoping it'll be taxed and on the road for April's meet even though as it's far from finished I'm just sick of having no car frown
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Mar 2008 1:13am
dont blame you mate would pee me off as well atleast you can nearly see the end thumbsup
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Mar 2008 8:42pm
dont worry joe, it'll be worth it when its on the road... cos its all your own work...
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Mar 2008 8:20pm
nearly there matey
Posted By: lawton Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Mar 2008 10:07pm
just read all 54 pages, took me forever, lol.

got to say joe, u have done well, u have lernt alot since i use to hang out with you and the crew
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Mar 2008 10:37pm
Cheers mate.

Yeah, even though it's cost me a lot, I've also learnt a lot too smile
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 29th Mar 2008 10:38pm
that the main think mate how much you learn but dam good work to thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Apr 2008 11:23pm
Suspension has been a right Grrr of a job to do.

After 4 hours of trying to get the old arm out, I had to take the strut out to get a ball joint remover in.

I bought some new bushes for the arms, but I couldn't get the old ones out of the bracket, so I've had to order another one already fitted in the bracket.

Bought some new smaller clamps for the exhaust and fixed it as high as possible and in as many places as possible using stainless ty-wraps.

Also painted the last remaining door handle, wired the mirror indicators and fitted the old headlights back in, just got to wire them up.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 2nd Apr 2008 11:15pm
Royal Mail are fookin crap.

Still waiting for a bush I order 3 days ago and paid extra for recorded delivery.

It won't be MOT'd and taxed for tomorrows meet anyway frown

The old headlights are now wired up, I had to solder wires to the connectors because I cut them too short not thinking about if I ever had to wire my old headlights back up smack

Indicators are also wired up, but they seen to have an intermittent fault.

Once this bush comes in the post, the new lower arm can be fitted and then it's ready to be re-MOT'd smile

Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Apr 2008 5:09pm
Good Luck with Royal mail.
Its not lost for 10 days or something in there eyes.

After all the pain Joe i'm sure it will be worth it smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 3rd Apr 2008 5:15pm
4 days and it still hasn't arrived
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Apr 2008 11:30pm

14 months later....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's back on the road smile

Done 65 miles in it tonight, just enjoying being able to drive again.

It's a bit lower than I wanted at the back, its that low its scraping the rust off the arches everytime I go over a bump lol.

The work hasn't even start on it yet though. Still got a big list of things to do.

I'm hoping to get the angel eyes and HIDs back in if I can turn the insides round somehow, if not, I might have to buy another set.

Tints might go on this weekend, also I'll try and get the welding done to the boot and I'm also going to try and get the tracker/text alert wired up too.
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 9:28am
great pic

[Linked Image]

lookin good mate
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 10:04am
So you passed your MOT?

GReat to see it on the road thumbsup
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 11:14am
So pleased for you mate, your hard work has paid off.
Posted By: chiccy Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 11:29am
fantastic mate u must be so proud xxxx
Posted By: CustomIce Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 11:59am
Nice one mate, glad to see all your toil and sweat has paid off!
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 1:16pm
woooo!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 1:30pm
Cheers everyone smile

And yeah Mark, it passed smile
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 3:57pm
nice one joe, the place i got my angel eyes from does them for yours too
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 5:19pm
good work mate glad it back on road thumbsup great pics looks stunning
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Apr 2008 6:57pm
great pics
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Apr 2008 7:48am
Good work Joe smile

I saw the car in the flesh last nigh, and can confirm its back out and about for the summer... smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Apr 2008 8:39am
yer mee too, vnice buddy, hope you get the idle sorted !
Posted By: krisGTi Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Apr 2008 10:33am
well done mate grate 2 see u have got it back on the road
Posted By: Pomp Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Apr 2008 10:57am
yeh i seen it aswel lastnight an caught a few other beemer drivers having a peep.
Posted By: dave_g Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Apr 2008 12:28am
joe u rock!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Apr 2008 2:36pm
Tis great to see this back on the road Joe matey, it's been FAR too long since we have had the pleasure of seeing it at a meet, must be a good 18 months or more now!!

Wooooo im made up for you and I bet you're well chuffed, give yeself a pat on the back fella, you have done an excellent job and I bet the experience will prove invaluable in the future...

PS. Can you feel any performance increase from the uprated head as yet, or have you not tried??

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Apr 2008 4:28pm
Nice one joe, good things come to those who wait thumbsup
Great job wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Apr 2008 5:39pm
Cheers smile

PS. Can you feel any performance increase from the uprated head as yet, or have you not tried??

I've only noticed a very slight improvement in the performance with the new head and high performance cam, but it's been that long since I drove it last, I forgot how it used to be.

I will be getting it rolling roaded as soon as I have the money though and hope to see a bit of a gain.

Like I said, the work hasn't even started on it yet.

I've got a couple of videos just from testing the front camera yesterday:

[youtube]mxFprR-2M9I[/youtube]

[youtube]nQReLiHIRXw[/youtube]
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Apr 2008 6:13pm
congrats mate. saw this come in the rock on tuesday, was looking good! can't wait to see what you have in store for her.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Apr 2008 10:33am
Im impressed, that looks really well mate, you've done a really, really good job.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Apr 2008 3:31pm
Cheers smile

Finally got the text alert wired up and working. Trying to register the SIM with Orange was a Grrr of a job.

I'm going to wire up the output from the text unit to the input of the video recorder.

The text unit has its own motion sensor built into it aswell so if the alarm fails or the input to the text unit fails, it will detect motion itself.

Lost my indicator on a long country lane at the weekend, so for now, I have the old indicator lens in and a fast left hand indicator.

I managed to take apart the new headlights, so I'm trying to get them working and see if I can turn things round or swap the lenses to get the kick off to the left instead of the right.
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 15th Apr 2008 3:45pm
if u dont get the lights done mate, i got a catalogue u can have from where i got mine. they do them for yours in chrome or dark..
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Apr 2008 9:31pm
glad to hear you have finished, you have got the whole summer now to enjoy it. well done joe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Apr 2008 5:57pm
Painted the rear bumper valance yesterday, so it looks a bit better at the back now.

Also finished making the switch plate and painted it to match the interior trim. Just got to wire the switches and mark them up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Apr 2008 6:50pm
great work mate thumbsup looks lot better painted white
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Apr 2008 3:39pm
yeh, lookin good joe, like the valance, good job with the housing for the switches too...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 22nd Apr 2008 9:43pm
saw this today on Alderley Avenue in Claughton about midday today, mate its looking brilliant - good work!
Posted By: dave_g Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Apr 2008 10:54pm
wots this about a mazda???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Apr 2008 11:12pm
Spoiler brake light finally sorted today.

As the orignal broke when the spoiler fell off the roof when I was drilling the holes to fit it, I bought a universal 48 LED one, took the mounts off the ends, cut the ends a bit shorter to fit and drilled holes in the ends so that it could be screwed to the spoiler.

I also threaded the door pin rods more and cut them and the door pins shorter so they are flush when the car is locked. I'll be buying some round aluminium door pins or chrome ones if I can't find aluminiums ones.
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Apr 2008 6:31am
you need bling rear lights next..or at least white indicator ones mate
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Apr 2008 8:57pm
Fitted the text alert/tracker unit and fed the antenna through the dash and finished it off nicely with a door card gromet which I didn't need as after setting the door pins lower, they wouldnt fit unless I took them off.

Also fitted a small relay to the output of the text alert so I can set the alarm off by texting it. Pretty useless feature, but I can always set it to do something else when I text it like set the cameras to record or heat the drivers seat before I get in it on cold winter mornings lol
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Apr 2008 9:35am
looks great joe, cant wait to see this progress in the metal at the meet..
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Apr 2008 11:05am
top work as normal mr joe thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Apr 2008 11:22am
cheers smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th May 2008 12:21am
Bought some electric regulators for the rear door windows for a tenner off ebay so I can remove the handles.
Soon I'll buy an auto window closure kit too.

Finally got round to painting the jack hole caps and just fitted an Autowirral logo to the back window - Cheers Mark happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th May 2008 12:22am
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th May 2008 7:33am
nice work mate thumbsup
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th May 2008 8:07am
Keep up the good work Joe, I'm enjoying seeing this updated and seeing it in the flesh when i see you about,
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 4th May 2008 8:12am
cheers smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 4:35pm
Finally got round to sorting my headlights - Took them apart and took the lenses apart and switched the plate round which sets the kick off direction.

Also fitted some orange indicator bulbs as the originals were white and didn't pass through the MOT.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 4:36pm
angel eye headlights
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 4:46pm
nice mod joe thumbsup
i still aint seen it in the flesh yet.
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 6:05pm
nice one mate they all working and mot freindly now
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 6:07pm
nice one bud, still thing you should of left the maccies cup under the bonnet for effect raftl
Posted By: Garry_St Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 7:56pm
nice work mate i really like the lights
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 8:01pm
is it just me or is the driver side headlight darker than the other side?

look good tho!!
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th May 2008 8:21pm
is it just me or is the driver side headlight darker than the other side?

look good tho!!

no mate think its just the photo
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th May 2008 12:19am
Just the angle of the photo.

and yeah, all UK road legal indicators and kick off smile

Cheers for the comments smile

Will have to get a few pics in the dark as the angel eyes show up better
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th May 2008 6:35am
looking really ggod joe, the lights look top, glad you got them sorted. so whats next for it joe?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th May 2008 12:08pm
Ta Steve smile

Thing's I still have planned are:

- Back leather seats
- Front Strut Brace
- Rear Tints
- Cruise Control
- Digital Clock
- Cup holders
- Poly bushes
- Uprate bolts to Stainless Steel
- Footwell Lights
- Door courtesy lights
- Sort Amp & Sub out
- Finish wiring
- Leather Door cards
- Reverse Glow Dials
- Rear Disc Conversion
- New Clutch
- Fit petrol cap release cable

but whether or not I get them all done is another thing lol
Posted By: Mark Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th May 2008 1:07pm
Well Done Joe wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 6:25pm
Just washed and waxed it for tomorrow
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 6:26pm
Had to put my old plates on too after finally getting pulled pc
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 6:28pm
bloody hell that comes up well after a good wax mate why did you have to swap plates what was wrong with the others
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 6:41pm
Lookimg sweet Joe.

Love the wheels and they sit so well too.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 8:34pm
Cheers Tony smile

Originally Posted by fordsteve
bloody hell that comes up well after a good wax mate why did you have to swap plates what was wrong with the others

It's not even waxed properly, just spent about 20 mins quickly doing it.

Had to swap the plates as the ones I had on were illegal, which I knew, but wanted to get away with it for as long as I could wink
Finally got stopped for them yesterday and got a £30 fine though
Posted By: dave_g Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 9:14pm
take the other plates as they help the look of the car,jus remember to take em back off!
Posted By: fordsteve Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 9:15pm
what made they illegal mate was it the bmw badge or the font
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 9:18pm
Originally Posted by fordsteve
what made they illegal mate was it the bmw badge or the font

both

there's only one font as far as i know and only the eu stars allowed on a plate inside the uk/eu
Posted By: dave_g Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 9:22pm
thought u could have any badge so long as the font and spacing was right?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 9:25pm
It was illegal due to the badge, the border, the text size and the font of the text.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 10:55pm
Originally Posted by corsa_dave
thought u could have any badge so long as the font and spacing was right?

as joe said, has to be a specific font now (specified by the government) - spaced - again specified by the monkeys (supposedly for anpr but the stuff they have is so advanced it wouldnt be difficult to make it work for other fonts (just lazy monkeys again) and yea, apparently u are only allowed the eu stars to the left of ur reg number... tho some ppl are getting away with other stuff.... it's probly more down to how much of a *£$% the plod are on the day (tho still illegal)
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 31st May 2008 11:10pm

Finally got stopped for them yesterday and got a £30 fine though

join the club, ive had 6 tickets in 6 months now, finally changed mine yesterday! however when i went to barrows to get the legal plate done they printed a boarder?????
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 12:03am
Took some pictures of it the other day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Haven't done anything to it for a while, been enjoying not having to work on it every night, but I'll be finishing it off soon.

Watching some rear hubs with calipers, discs, pads, driveshafts and hoses from a 318is on eBay so might pick them up at the weekend if all goes well.

He's also got an LSD for sale which I'm thinking about, but not certain it will fit and probably won't even make much use of it.
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 1:36am
like the pics joe, especially, those under the bridge.........
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 3:42am
Originally Posted by jonah
like the pics joe, especially, those under the bridge.........

I agree wid Jonah here im lovin the pics but the ones under the bridge are great the car looks great thumbsup
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 8:52am

He's also got an LSD for sale which I'm thinking about, but not certain it will fit and probably won't even make much use of it.

liar oooh ye you will! grin
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 8:57am
yer got to agree with jonah, the one under the bridge is good mate, reminds me of a cover of a computer game, like gta lol
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 10:07am
Shrek looks awesome, all the time and effort paid off in the end, you should be a photographer in your spare time lol

Them reg plates look like the old ones though.. are they ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 12:31pm
lookin good bud
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 4:59pm
Cheers everyone smile

Izzy - Yeah, the old ones had to go on after I got pulled and given a £30 fine
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Jul 2008 6:18pm
Ah that sucks, they looked good too - oh well, the rest of the car still looks awesome laugh
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Jul 2008 1:07am
Izzy - Yeah, the old ones had to go on after I got pulled and given a £30 fine

same problem as me lmao wid my plates idiot
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2008 10:18pm
Sorted some new tyres, Nexen N3000, also had tracking done and it was out.

The steering has been shuddering at higher speeds (65+) ever since I got it back on the road, but yesterday it got really bad even driving at 40.

Bought some new brake pads and brake fluid from Halfords today, replaced the pads and flushed the brakes finding there was a lot of air in the system.

Bled the front brakes fine and took the cover off the rear drum and started on the back only to find there was no fluid coming out of the bleed screw, but instead pissing out of a piston seal.

So I aint driving it til I get a seal repair kit.

I dont want to have to spend a lot of money on repairing it as I'm planning on buying these rear hubs with discs.

Does anyone know where I can get a rear drum seal repair kit from? And if so, are they open on a Sunday??
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Jul 2008 10:42pm
The shuddering sounds like a wheel bearing on the way out mate

Buy a new wheel cylinder as there cheap enough (No more than £15, but a seal kit wont be too much cheaper) and saves you having to fiddle round changing a seal, plus you have a new prt
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 27th Jul 2008 10:15am
shuddering has gone now i've bled the brakes smile

Cheers, will get a new cylinder instead
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jul 2008 6:29am
Last E36 rear wheel cylinder I got from Formula 4 was only £8 Joe!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Jul 2008 8:36am
£9 from LVW wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Aug 2008 6:00pm
Bought some rear hubs yesterday with drive shafts included, so rear drums will be replaced for discs when I fit them.

[Linked Image]

Once they're fitted, I think I'll get some grooved discs and greenstuff pads

[Linked Image]

Next thing to buy is some drop links as one of them is a bit goosed and is affecting my steering above 40mph.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Aug 2008 6:20pm
hahahaha...My Karts got EBC brakes as we speak, theyd effo need bleeding tho....but good choice
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Aug 2008 6:35pm
I've heard EBC aren't much good, but they have gotta be better than halfords pads lol

I'm only after them as apparently there's less dust from them
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Aug 2008 6:43pm
Nah...theyll suffice for what youll need them for man...

Hey, if theyre used in kart racing, they cant be all bad.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Aug 2008 2:07pm
Unless they have changed the compounds, Id steer clear of Greenstuffs.

I ran them on a 200 a few years back, and they got too hot and warped 2 sets of disks. Ive heard of people using them without problems on smaller cars, but the weight of the beemer... think

Have you priced up something like Mintex 1144s or Ferodo DS2500s?

Unsure the drop links will be the root of the steering problem though. They tend to "knock" over bumps with very worn bushes and will make the car wallow a bit more if they snap as they connect the anti rollbar which wont really effect the steering unless really pushing the car on.

...what is the steering doing past 40mph matey?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 8th Aug 2008 6:34pm
Not after performance pads, standard will do, only wanted the greenstuff to reduce dust

I get knocking from the side thats worn every time I go over bumps or change direction, it might not be causing the steering problem, but it needs doing.

The steering wheel wobbles as if the wheels are unbalanced.

I got all 4 balanced, and it was still doing it.
Thought it might be the brake pads being unevenly worn or a caliper seized, bled the brakes, calipers are fine and bought new pads, so the discs are probably warped.

I'll be replacing all the discs and pads once the new rear hubs are on though smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2008 12:39am
Does it get worse on baking?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2008 12:22pm
doesnt get worse, just appears at 40 and gives a constant wobble for speeds above that
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2008 12:33pm
Originally Posted by Totopop
Does it get worse on baking?
didn't know joe had an oven in his car? The modding scene has gone mad! wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 9th Aug 2008 12:41pm
raftl

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Aug 2008 2:53pm
mmm...baking
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Aug 2008 1:03am
my car's steerin wheel vibrates rediculously around 80mph, almost as if it's about to come off in my hands! lol - been told it could be loads of things from uneven tyre wear, unbalanced wheels, wheel alignment, etc, etc so annoyin lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Aug 2008 12:31pm
Fitted new drop links yesterday.

One of the bolts had been stripped of the thread so had to hacksaw it off.

Also replaced the bolts and nuts for stainless ones

Also took my dials apart to remove the bits that form when the paint starts peeling off.

Will be fitting the rear hubs I bought and some grooved discs and painting my calipers next week smile

Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Aug 2008 7:52am
Has this fixed the wheel vibration problem matey?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Aug 2008 9:05am
It's a lot better, but as the disks are warped, still get a slight vibration
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 23rd Aug 2008 5:55pm
These are the rear hubs I bought

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Started working on them today ready for painting and then fitting next week.

Although they're covered in crap and a bit rusty, managed to strip one in half an hour.

[Linked Image]

The Caliper

[Linked Image]

The old disc and pads

[Linked Image]

Got some new front & rear solid discs as a birthday present off Sausage. Didn't bother going for vented or grooved, but might upgrade at a later date though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Decided to paint the calipers blue, so just waiting for the VHT paint to come in the post.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Aug 2008 6:23pm
Got the other one stripped today.

Wire brushed all the rust away on one and started painting it.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Aug 2008 9:11pm
Managed to remove the handbrake cables today, they were rusted in place.

Painted the caliper brackets with red oxide to stop them rusting and finished with a coat of black paint.

Will be fitting everything together tomorrow and hopefully spraying the calipers if the paint comes.

Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Aug 2008 9:19pm
Im disgusted that you chose to dry the parts on a page showing Phil Wright from the XR3 challenge.

He lives, 1 mile from my house
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Aug 2008 9:27pm
raftl Sorry Craig
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Aug 2008 9:50pm
Arent you impressed as to how eagle eyed Ive been??

Oh, also, I know how you feel bout rusty Handbrake Cables. I had to remove and reattach a set on Barneys Homemade Trailer, made from MkII Escort Leaf Springs, bits of old truck, and calipers from a destroyed Cavalier...

Mmmmmmm Messy
Posted By: DavidB Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Aug 2008 8:59am
my car's steerin wheel vibrates rediculously around 80mph, almost as if it's about to come off in my hands! lol - been told it could be loads of things from uneven tyre wear, unbalanced wheels, wheel alignment, etc, etc so annoyin lol

It's only one of those things, unless you've been in a crash. Go to Cleveland Tyres on Cleveland street and they will balance your wheels (they will put those little lead weights at different points). Mine didn't vibrate at all, until I put the spare on, which wasn't balanced, and the car was vibrating at speed!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 26th Aug 2008 9:19am
All the wheels have been balanced, front and rear, so it's not that.

I think the disks are warped very slightly and it was made worse by the worn bush on the drop link.

Will find out later when I put new discs on though smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 12:38am
Well, after spending days painting and preparing the new hubs and calipers for fitting, I found out that the handbrake cables on the drums are totally different to that used on the discs.

So now I need to buy some new handbrake cables costing £14 each frown

Anyway, managed to get the new front discs on and sprayed the front calipers too. Not the best of jobs, didnt even remove the rust, just wanted them painted for now.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 12:41am
wow, odd choice of blue, but it really goes.

Nice one thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 12:42am
Blue inspired by Jonahs vxr blue calipers.

Looks better without the dirty wheels lol
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 12:49am
same thoughts as craig here the colour is a strange one but they looooook great well done jowwww thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 1:00am
looks good bud wink
Posted By: jonah Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 30th Aug 2008 1:02am
Blue inspired by Jonahs vxr blue calipers.

Looks better without the dirty wheels lol

see i am good for something then ! lookin good jooooooooooooooooooow
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th Sep 2008 11:24pm
Replaced the fuel filter today.

Something which I haven't done since I've had the car and the old one was a BMW one, which means its either a 15 year old orignal from factory or the car has been serviced or replaced with genuine BMW parts in the past confused

Still trying to find handbrake cables so I can do the rear disc conversion - Anyone suggest anywhere? I've tried all the scrappys on Cleveland Street and none of them have any and I dont fancy paying £28 for new cables
Posted By: AL Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 14th Sep 2008 12:20pm
put your fooking hand in your pocket and buy them. Probably cost you more running about looking for them
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 17th Sep 2008 8:13pm
Looking good Joe you have bought a strange mod though (what you were fitting at your garage tonight)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 18th Sep 2008 9:06am
Never bought it mate, aquired it for freeeeee

Plus it has a number of uses lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Sep 2008 4:53am
What were you fitting at the meet joe?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 19th Sep 2008 9:03am
tow bar

I had to nick the rear bumper brackets off Andys car as the studs on my bracket were too short to fit the tow bar
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Nov 2008 10:05pm
Finally got round to buying the handbrake cables and pads for the rear brakes I bought a few months ago and fitted it all this weekend smile

Quite an easy job and well worth doing for the appearance alone.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Nov 2008 10:07pm
Fitting
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 16th Nov 2008 10:08pm
Finished
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Nov 2008 8:15am
Are those brakes to slow it down from the massive warp speeds it is capable of Joe?? lol Just kiddin...good work mate
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Nov 2008 6:59pm
Looking good joe BUT

ITS A EPIC FAIL why wasnt you at the garage till 2am doing this its not like you to cheat raftl

Has it made much difference matey???
Posted By: sonyj Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Nov 2008 7:13pm
lookin good mate... i bet you did ya exhaust while it woz jacked up didnt you......lol
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 20th Nov 2008 10:00pm
that will be a first if he did raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Nov 2008 10:26am
Has it made much difference matey???

haven't noticed any difference, but I haven't tried travelling at massive warp speeds yet doh

Easier to do it at home now, got a garage with light

...and no, I've still not fixed my pissed exhaust
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 21st Nov 2008 10:44am
nice mod joe, not the easiest of things to do that. i tried it on my eg6 but failed.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2008 8:57pm
yer is right Joe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2008 10:41pm
happy

Fitted a new window regulator, so now I can go through drive thru's happily without having a chair leg holding up the window.

Also fitted two temperature displays from a PC in the dash, one measuring outside temp and one for inside smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2008 10:45pm
happy
Also fitted two temperature displays from a PC in the dash, one measuring outside temp and one for inside smile

wow, thats a brill idea joe happy , did it take very long to do?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2008 10:52pm
About 15 mins to drill the dash and tidy it up with a knife.

Not many places to put them though on my dash.

Bought them a while ago, just not got round to fitting them.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 24th Dec 2008 10:58pm
nice one thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2008 1:02am

nice one mate, is a good idea think
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2008 6:21pm
whats next in store joe?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 25th Dec 2008 8:07pm
Get everything working:

Fit door card on drivers side

Get sub working (got the amp working yesterday)

Finish wiring cameras

Wire speakers in the back

Put an LED to replace the broken bulb for the heater switches

Finish off wiring he switches up - heated seats, TV antenna e.t.c

And hopefully get my exhaust straightened & a decat pipe made in the new year

wink
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 28th Dec 2008 2:04pm
Joe have you got any spares 4 my motor

if so what have you got boss ???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jan 2009 12:51am
Clutch has finally gone after 140,000 miles and 16 years

It's been screetching the past few days, but I just thought it was a loose belt.

HID Ballast also knackered so only got one headlight at the moment.

On the plus side, Amp and sub are now wired up.
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jan 2009 7:40am
raftl

It never rains matey it hammers down. You got another yet??? Or were you just waiting for it to go.

THE CURSE OF CAR OF THE YEAR I TELL YOU
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jan 2009 8:24am
140k aint bad for a clutch mate smile
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jan 2009 8:45am
140k-Thats good mate;I've just done my mates 328i clutch at 85k
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jan 2009 7:04pm
You got another yet??? Or were you just waiting for it to go.

Seeing how long I could get away with it for, was looking at getting a sport clutch, but at double the price of a standard and not much more power than standard, theres no point.

THE CURSE OF CAR OF THE YEAR I TELL YOU

withthat
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:02pm
Ok, after spending over £100 on new clutch parts, I found out today that the car wouldnt start.

Found out that its not my clutch that has gone, but merely the nuts on the throttle body on the inlet manifold had untightned and the inlet had come loose from the manifold.

Least I have a new clutch to change when the weather is a bit warmer.

Headlight is now fixed after buying a new ballast
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:42pm
raftl How did you manage to confuse poor running with a slipping clutch Joe???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:45pm
stalling several times from setting off from the lights,
bunny hopping when it actually got going.

Screetching noise went away as I came off the throttle
Posted By: Wheels Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:48pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

too muchio pepsi make joe go crazy bananalama
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:54pm
PEPSI AND DR PEPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 9:55pm

Does indeed raftl

Makes you think and see the wrong things raftl

Tis ok jo i though my clutch was slipping when i got my car (tried clutch kicking 4 up in my car and got nothing but revs) so bought myself a new clutch £325 for nothing raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 10th Jan 2009 10:44pm

....coke raftl
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2009 4:26am
Should have asked moi when I had the Micra. Crappy Clutch ,means you couldnt put the power down. Doesnt effect the engine in "stalling" etc, as a crap clutch wouldnt provide enough bite to stall...

Least you know what it is though bud....

£100 for clutch parts !!!!
Did you try Unipart ???
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2009 6:06pm
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
Crappy Clutch ,means you couldnt put the power down.

I couldnt, it kept revving up, but didnt have the power.

I've driven one with a f*cked clutch, so I know what it feels like and it was exactly the same.

as a crap clutch wouldnt provide enough bite to stall...

It wasnt providing enough bite, hence why I had to rev the balls off it to get it going.

£100 for clutch parts !!!!

£80 for clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing and £25 for a new clutch slave cylinder
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2009 6:48pm
Joe a knackered clutch doesnt effect the running of the engine at all.

A dead clutch means power from the engine cant get through to the gearbox. This means that when the car is in gear the engine revs up but the car doesnt accelerate - a bit like an auto when it pulls off, ie the speed doesnt increase at the same rate as the revs.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2009 6:50pm
JOE YOU NEED A HAND/ LIFT OR HELP WITH CAR GIVE ME A PM DUDE

Be more than happy to get you back on the road boss wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 11th Jan 2009 6:57pm
A dead clutch means power from the engine cant get through to the gearbox. This means that when the car is in gear the engine revs up but the car doesnt accelerate

Thats exactly what was happening.

The engine was running fine except for when I went to set off or went to accelerate, thus leading me to think it was my clutch.

Cheers for the offer Robbo, but its sorted now mate
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th May 2009 10:06pm
Recently hit 143,000 miles and still going strong.

[Linked Image]

Went down to London last month, no problem.

Clutch will still be getting changed soon though, just as soon as I find time and decent weather.

Reverse camera has been replaced (old one got water in the lens even though it was waterproof?!) and is now wired and working as are all the switches on the centre console.

[Linked Image]

- Driver's Heated seat wired up (Pretty sure the passenger one is nackered - any ideas on who to go to to fix this?)

- Temp displays in, and fully working, just need to move the outside sensor to one of the mirrors as it gets a false reading if the car is stood still too long.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- TV antenna wired up, just need to buy a freeview box

- New reverse sensors (in white) fitted and wired up. Works spot on, 0.0m on the display is about 20cm away from my tow bar lol.
Only problem is, as it transmits to the display through radio waves, the speakers pick it up when its switched on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Started cutting a hole above the glovebox for a cup holder from a VW passat. Still yet to finish that job lol

- Repaired leather seats with black leather dye. Come up quite well - Only before pics, forgot to take after ones lol

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Should be getting tints soon.

Thats it for now I think, be doing more bits soon.
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th May 2009 10:09pm
looooks much better now the holes in the bumper av gone i think a job well done matey thumbsup
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th May 2009 10:13pm
mite be an easy fix (filament snaped) its taking the seat apart thats tricky, taking it apart and keeping the leather in-tact
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th May 2009 10:14pm
exactly, who would I get to do that? Upholsterers? Then repair the element myself?
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 13th May 2009 10:18pm
yea try car connections in wallasey.
Posted By: camaroz Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Jul 2009 3:30pm
Reverse camera has been replaced (old one got water in the lens even though it was waterproof?!) and is now wired and working as are all the switches on the centre console.

Whole job looks great.

I like the idea of a reverse camera - is it a big job?
Posted By: spinking Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 5th Jul 2009 5:42pm
I need a reverse camara my parkins sucks raftl
Posted By: camaroz Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2009 5:14pm
Repaired leather seats with black leather dye. Come up quite well - Only before pics, forgot to take after ones lol

Any after pics?

I've got the same problem on my drivers seat frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 7th Jul 2009 10:55pm
Yeah, will get round to them soon.

works well and is worth doing.

Been meaning to update this topic too, replaced the clutch and a few other things

Reverse camera was a bit of a pain as I bought one slightly bigger than the boot lock, so had to file the boot and the plastic trim.

I then had to replace the boot lock for a boot release cable which came from an MX5 (smaller car = short cable)

Might swap it for an electric boot popper though and have a reserve battery, a bike battery for it in the boot

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Aug 2009 10:07pm
Clutch was finally done at the end of May.

Needed replacing before the hot weather, but we ended up not having any lol.

The old original clutch juddered in hot weather, but could have easily got a few more thousand miles out of it.

Also replaced the clutch slave cylinder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also tinted the windows (well, Sausage did, she did a good job too) but had a god at the back and messed it up, not tried again since so it's still half done.

I've been neglecting the car with recently passing my bike test.

Will give it a good clean this weekend, although the rust is starting to come through in places.

I have got a new parcel shelf finally, but still need to finish off the wiring.

I will finish it before getting a new car soon.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2009 6:01pm
Some pictures from the Horseshoe Pass
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2009 6:02pm
few more
Posted By: MGCraig Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2009 6:05pm
Could of told Gemma to get out, and waited for that car to pass tease
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2009 6:07pm
...your exhaust is wonky wink
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMWJoe: BMW E36 316i - 1st Sep 2009 6:14pm
She was walking back to the car lol

[Linked Image]

Then this went past