Forums
Posted By: Blueskier Old style F1 - 7th Jul 2015 2:03am
Sorry to be an old fart but i went to my first GP in 89.
The noise, the smell of the superfuels, everything was fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lKJF4YN4s
I still love motorsport but feel it lacks so much now.
I have an electric car so that is not my issue just feel that F1 is missing so much from back in the day.
I like the Formula E but its not the same.
F1 cars with 1.6 litre engines is just wrong.
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: Old style F1 - 7th Jul 2015 2:19am
Hi Bluskier, I can still smell the burnt fuel at Oulton Bike racing. Long time ago now, still smell the Castrol "R". Happy, very Happy days.
Posted By: venice Re: Old style F1 - 7th Jul 2015 5:29am
Ha! Tankrat-- the only thing that turns my OH's head these days is when a two stroke passes , and he sniffs the air like a dog passing the butchers.He too was a happy regular at Oulton .
Posted By: lansyp Re: Old style F1 - 7th Jul 2015 10:34am
Went to a Renault weekend at donnington a few years ago it was fantastic the roar of engines at 6 in the morning and the smell of fuel and burning rubber was just amazing .have yet to go to a grand prix but can't wait
Posted By: venice Re: Old style F1 - 7th Jul 2015 11:32am
Blueskier - is your loss that the noises are all wrong now ? I keep hearing accusations of 'pathetic squeals' instead of a grunty roar!!
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Old style F1 - 8th Jul 2015 4:37am
The noise is a big part of it. They were so amazingly loud. The Ferraris had a distinctive sound that is hard to describe.
Although noise is wasted energy so not efficient.
Posted By: venice Re: Old style F1 - 8th Jul 2015 11:11am
Ha! I doubt fuel efficiency was even on ardent supporters' radar.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old style F1 - 8th Jul 2015 12:58pm
Originally Posted by Blueskier
F1 cars with 1.6 litre engines is just wrong.

This might surprise you but from 1977, Renault F1 engines were 1.5 litre, by 1982 most other F1 engines followed suite until the ban on these engines was coming in which came in 1989.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Old style F1 - 8th Jul 2015 8:37pm
It doesnt surprise me as i do remember the old turbo era, just.
Only seeing them (and feeling the noise) in the flesh stuck with me. These were then the 3.5 litre normally aspiated monsters.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral