Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Risky Manouevre - 24th Jun 2015 5:18pm
Saw a pedal cyclist on a racing bike get pushed into the kerb by a car which was turning left at at a T junction. The cyclist was behind the car and tried to squeeze round the corner on the inside of the car as the car was turning left. Cyclist was ok but probably put a nice scratch on the car. He then had the cheek to give a volley of foul language at the car driver blaming him.
Posted By: TheEpicSponge Re: Risky Manouevre - 24th Jun 2015 5:47pm
In my 6 years of road experience, I can make an educated guess that using a bicycle on the road triggers the anger emotion and everything makes the cyclist angry!

Of course, I'm tarnishing all cyclists with the same brush here. But there are definitely 'at least' a few good cyclists out there who abide road laws and don't try and push their luck with 1500 kilos of metal at the other end.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Risky Manouevre - 24th Jun 2015 7:00pm
The title says it all, what the cyclist perceives as a risk and what you perceive are obviously poles apart.

Red light jumpers or taxis cutting you up to grab a fair from a bus lane.

Its all lack of due care and attention to others.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Risky Manouevre - 25th Jun 2015 5:06pm
From a cyclists perspective i can see their frustration. I cycle to and from work every day and the amount of cars that drive past very fast and far too close is unbelievable. I have also had cars cut me up and one guy drove into me and knocked me off my bike. Even with his reg and description the police wouldn't do anything!! If drivers gave cyclists a little bit extra room and time all would be ok.

From a drivers point of view: i accept there are also some militant cyclists who think they own the road, which tarnishes the reputation of the rest of us which is a shame.

Ultimately if both are turning left the cyclist just had to brake a little and follow in the car's slipstream, it's what any reasonable cyclist would have done.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Risky Manouevre - 25th Jun 2015 8:32pm
Both at fault.

Cyclist for undertaking (especially at a junction).
Car for not being aware of other road users when he was manoeuvring.

If car was indicating (and all 3 left indicators were working) then that reduces his blame a bit and increase the blame on the cyclist.

If the car did that silly swing right before turning left then that puts more blame on car - why people can't learn to steer properly I have no idea.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Risky Manouevre - 26th Jun 2015 6:52pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
If the car did that silly swing right before turning left

you mean the scandi-flick? it works... but only on a track, if you want to roll the car (or van)
as seen at 3:45 in this video
[youtube]Mo8TYapTOsA[/youtube]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral