Forums
Posted By: Nomad Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 2:06am
Need two new tyres for car, ok no problem with that. But what happens to the old ones? Do they , the people who fit them for me, dispose of them? Or does it depend if I buy
the tyres or supply them my self?

One tyre is now at limit but the other has a fair bit of tread on it. so with a new alloy it would make a good spare.

I prefer to change the tyres in pairs

Nomad
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 2:32am
Any tyre place assume they have to dispose of the old tyres (which costs them), they will be more than happy if you want to keep one.

Check your spare tyre, the one your taking off might be better than that.
Posted By: Finney Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 3:18am
Try top gear tyre centre, on the Rossmore, ellesmere port, 0151 355 3234, they have part worn, very good quality. I went and got 4 for my astray £100. They looked new, still look new after 10k on them,they only deal cash though.
Posted By: Nomad Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 9:38am
No spare tyre, car has a bottle of sealant instead
Posted By: Finney Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 12:25pm
Originally Posted by Finney
Try top gear tyre centre, on the Rossmore, ellesmere port, 0151 355 3234, they have part worn, very good quality. I went and got 4 for my astra £100. They looked new, still look new after 10k on them,they only deal cash though.

Oops, just noticed a typo, the joys or predictive text, fixed now
Posted By: chriskay Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 3:37pm
Originally Posted by Finney

Oops, just noticed a typo, the joys or predictive text, fixed now

Yes, predictive text may be useful but it makes proofreading even more important.
BTW, I think you mean "of", not "or". wink
Posted By: Santos Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 8:16pm
Get yourself a spare wheel. Once the sealant has been put in the punctured tyre the tyre is a write off. Mate of mine had same thing, just bought brand new tyre and was very unlucky to get a puncture at the tip a couple of days later. Put in the sealant, blew tyre up, went to the tyre place where to his horror the new tyre was now classed as a write off could not be repaired because of the sealant. Learnt his lesson and now has a spare wheel.
Posted By: Nomad Re: Silly question, new tyres - 26th May 2015 11:18pm
New tyres in morning, will have a drive around/ ring round, I know the ones I want.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
225/40 ZR18 88Y

Failing that. will order online

Nomad
Posted By: j_demo Re: Silly question, new tyres - 27th May 2015 6:21pm
Costco do tyres, and only michelin ones as well. http://dealers.michelin.co.uk/miche...olesale/d4f1488c37d166f6376139a8b5ba52ab

And costco being costco, they're usually cheaper than everywhere else.
Posted By: Nomad Re: Silly question, new tyres - 27th May 2015 11:59pm
Thank you for the replies,

Getting a pair fitted in the morning, cheaper than what I had sourced on internet - and they did not include fitting!

Nomad
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Silly question, new tyres - 28th May 2015 12:47pm
Best source I found for tyres was Blackcircles, having them fitted at Crane Bank Garage.

I tried ringing round the garages to see if they could supply the tyres cheaper and cut out the middleman but they couldn't match Blackcircles bulk buying power.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral