Forums
Posted By: faddy Where to buy part worn tyres - 24th Mar 2015 11:47pm
Where's best for part worn tyres, Twelve Quays, Top Gear or somewhere else? (I know someone's going to say never buy part worns but I think the arguments both ways are well rehearsed)
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 12:08am
Ive always got mine from Cleveland Tyres or had a repair done there. Think I had one dodgy one in all the years of going there. Wouldn't get my wheels aligned there again though as got ripped off last time by some Polish guy who didn't know what he was doing. Tyres just carried on wearing incorrectly.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 12:20am
Don't go the green grocery, they know their onions but nothing about tyres.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 12:22am
Seriously, top gear for quality.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 12:29am
My daughter got 4 great tyres from Tyres 4U in Kelvin Road, she stated that she got great service and not treated like "the little woman". She is not easily impressed.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 7:42am
Chris Gilly on here does tyres.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 7:53am
Direct Tyres, Dock Road, past United Molasses from M53 spur. 0151-691-0700
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 9:31am
Ian hosie grange mount birkenhead
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 11:47am
Tunnel tyres were the cheapest last time i shopped around down those ways a year or 2 ago, £15 for a Renault clio tyre fitted if i remember rightly, and they had a decent amount of tread on too.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 12:10pm
Tyre Brigade, Beaufort Road, Birkenhead. If they haven't got your size in, they get them.

Heard loads of good things about Ian Hosie's but everytime I have been they just say they don't do my size of tyres.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 1:51pm
+1 to Tunnel Tyres.

The first (and last) time I used Direct Tyres was the Rock Ferry branch. The fitter couldn't speak any English, put the tyre on the wrong way round and my car failed the MOT on the tyre a few days later.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 4:00pm
people please check these part worn tyres as quite alot have had side wall damage,they heat them up and smooth them over but if you look hard you can tell,and its legal? got two great contis from top gear tyres £50 195/65/15 but as he was putting them on i noticed the bulge he said oh they will be fine,i said no chance and walked out,got them for £98 fitted new with a lot more tread would never put a part worn on again,ok you might be lucky but would you gamble with your family
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 4:01pm
I also recommend Tunnel Tyres, I just didn't know they did part worn tyres. You live and learn.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 4:01pm
Cleveland Tyres.
Only go to Direct Tyres if you want 4mm tread and like unbalanced wheels (even though they said they did balance them).
Posted By: faddy Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 6:02pm
Originally Posted by joeblogs
people please check these part worn tyres as quite alot have had side wall damage,they heat them up and smooth them over but if you look hard you can tell,and its legal? got two great contis from top gear tyres £50 195/65/15 but as he was putting them on i noticed the bulge he said oh they will be fine,i said no chance and walked out,got them for £98 fitted new with a lot more tread would never put a part worn on again,ok you might be lucky but would you gamble with your family

Where are part worns generally sourced from? I seem to remember the story used to be that they came from Japan where minimum tread requirement is much greater?
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 8:24pm
Germany
Posted By: faddy Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 8:33pm
Originally Posted by joeblogs
Germany

Come to think of it, I believe it was Top Gear that told me Japan when I bought one there. But that would have been 15 years ago or more...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 8:41pm
Used to be Germany because of the different tread requirements, I think most come from scrapyards; accident write-offs or scrappers, its amazing how many people put new tyres on their car before an MOT then when the car fails MOT drastically, its scrapped.

There is a huge depot at Wrexham and a couple of big ones in Liverpool.

As garages have to pay to dispose of tyres it seems the part-worn dealers have the best of both worlds.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Where to buy part worn tyres - 25th Mar 2015 8:48pm
i get mine from here http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/ good site
© Wirral-Wikiwirral