Forums
Posted By: jaylow some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 8:48am
does anybody know if the headlight units should be fixed solid ?
ive got movement up and down on both units when i move them with my hands ?

only had the car 2 days and someone reveresed in to me at quite a speed yesterday at a set of traffic lights. only couple of minor scratches but just noticed the headlights move, so would like to know so if its not picked up when garage are checking it i can mention them.

thanks
Posted By: StuyMac Re: some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 9:55am
Headlights should be fixed.

Sounds like the altercation with the other car has snapped some of the mounting lugs on the headlight unit.

Did you get the details off the other driver, if they are xenon, adaptive units they are £700 each new!
Posted By: jaylow Re: some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 10:06am
ye got the details, just had to go and get some cctv from were it happened, they turned up at my house last night trying to turn it round!! like she never reveresed in to me!
got the cctv anyway so no probs there.

there just the standard factory fitted lights mate,
dont know the difference between xenon and standard so not sure blush
Posted By: Jake_ Re: some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 11:30am
Originally Posted by jaylow
ye got the details, just had to go and get some cctv from were it happened, they turned up at my house last night trying to turn it round!! like she never reveresed in to me!

Standard are just Halogen bulbs, lights are made by Hella for both Xenon and Halogen though. Halogen lights aren't that expensive to replace, get a 2nd hand pair for about £200 if that. I've got Xenons on my 60 plate 520d. The easiest way to find if you have them is to see if your front indicators are LED or just a standard bulb with orange plastics, the latter being halogen headlights. Hope that helps!
Posted By: jaylow Re: some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 11:35am
Originally Posted by Jake_
Originally Posted by jaylow

Standard are just Halogen bulbs, lights are made by Hella for both Xenon and Halogen though. Halogen lights aren't that expensive to replace, get a 2nd hand pair for about £200 if that. I've got Xenons on my 60 plate 520d. The easiest way to find if you have them is to see if your front indicators are LED or just a standard bulb with orange plastics, the latter being halogen headlights. Hope that helps!

cheers mate indicator is all white with a orange bulb in so take it there standard. ill let the insurance check it now seen as i know they should be fixed solid.
Posted By: Jake_ Re: some advice on bmw 316d 61 plate - 1st Mar 2015 11:45am
They should be definitely fixed solid mate, my rear ones wobble slightly, but nothing massive. If you open the bonnet, you'll be able to see if any clips or brackets have been damaged. Pain in the ass with BMWs (at least the new versions) you have to take the bumper off to remove the headlights.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral