Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 11th Feb 2015 9:38pm
Just had my mini returned after needing a new clutch. The guy who fixed it said the ignition was proving a bit faulty needing to turn it on and off several times, and that it might be the relay. (perfectly fine before clutch went)
Sure enough parked up in a car park when I came back it wouldn't turn engine over (no click like usual starter motor problem. )All the lights on the dash came on and went off as normal but had to keep turning key in switch on and off about 10 times and it suddenly fired up no problem. Wondering what might have been disturbed replacing the clutch. Any thoughts good peeps
Posted By: Dilly Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 11th Feb 2015 10:00pm
Connections on the starter would be my first guess if it has only happened since he fitted the clutch.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 12th Feb 2015 12:24am
I had an old Clio that would do the same thing, it was the switch wire to the starter motor, it had worked loose and although it looked ok the space between the push on and the spade terminal had widened and gave poor contact, pair of pliars readjusted the push on and never had that problem again, it's worth checking.
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 12th Feb 2015 7:38am
Could be a poor earth connection test by using a good quality jump lead from the negative on battery to engine block as tempory earth strap
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 12th Feb 2015 9:07am
Sounds like a poor earth. Check battery terminals first and work back from there.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 12th Feb 2015 10:11am
He's probably forgotten to reconnect the engine earth strap. From what I remember, it's quite short, low down on the right hand side of the engine looking into the bonnet. It's easy to miss.

When the earth strap on my Mini broke, the starter got its earth from the accelerator cable and eventually melted it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 12th Feb 2015 2:22pm
My manual does say battery and starter motor have to be removed to fit clutch so will look at those first. Cheers guys. Will post up solution if find it.
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Ignition Switch Relay Problem?? - 14th Feb 2015 7:50am
Did you get it sorted if so what was it
© Wirral-Wikiwirral