Forums
Posted By: fish5133 £10 MOT - 31st Jan 2015 9:16pm
If you can find a Love Wirral magazine a garage in Bromborough have a deal for MOT at £10. Sods law just booked mine elsewhere
Posted By: Gibbo Re: £10 MOT - 2nd Feb 2015 11:00am
Which garage though? I'm always wary of discount MOTs because it can be easy to be a little too strict to recoup the discount in unnecessary repairs.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: £10 MOT - 2nd Feb 2015 1:35pm
Think it was Quicks Services . I used to use one in Wallasey at £25 and then shop around if work needed doing. Lot depends on if they charge a retest fee. Don't know if or what the fee is a garage has to pay to Dept Transport
Posted By: DavidB Re: £10 MOT - 2nd Feb 2015 8:39pm
Guaranteed to fail.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: £10 MOT - 4th Feb 2015 10:12pm
Yes it was Quicks Services and they have the same voucher in this weeks Wirral globe
Posted By: faddy Re: £10 MOT - 20th Mar 2015 6:14pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
Guaranteed to fail.

Based on your opinion of cheap MOTs, or your knowledge of this particular establishment?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: £10 MOT - 21st Mar 2015 11:25pm
I would imagine it's the usual reasoning for a cheap MOT - to get customers in and look for work.

VOSA suggest that an MOT takes about 45 mins, if you think a garage is going to work to that hourly rate and chug passes out all day...

It may be a genuine offer, but good luck getting a pass on a £10 MOT coffee
Posted By: Dilly Re: £10 MOT - 22nd Mar 2015 9:22am
I think all testing stations are monitored by VOSA for their pass and fail ratio, however they can coax unsuspecting costumers into having work done by means of advisory items.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: £10 MOT - 22nd Mar 2015 11:08pm
If you disagree with your MOT test results, you'll need to discuss them with an MOT test station representative before anyone carries out repairs to the vehicle.
You have the right to view why the vehicle failed. Don't be fobbed off, I once had a car fail because the 4 way flasher unit didn't work the way the tester said it ought to. I went to a local garage selling the same car and sure enough it worked the same as mine. The button needed pressing and holding 3 secs to activate. My car was then given a pass cert. Testers are not infallable so stand your ground if you feel hard done by. If you have doubts try and get someone knowledgeable to go with you if need be but don't agree to start work unless you either trust the garage or had it checked out.

Appealing against a failed test result
If you want to appeal against a failed test result, then you'll need to complete an appeal form VT17 available from any MOT test station, online or by ringing VOSA on 0300 123 9000. The down side of this procedure is that you will have to pay for another test in full and upfront.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: £10 MOT - 23rd Mar 2015 12:35pm
A few years ago I took a relatively new car to a national chain doing "discount" MOTs. And they failed it on insufficient screen wash fluid.

They could have put a bit of water in but, according to them, it was "not their job" to make cars MOT-worthy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral