Forums
Posted By: homeraway spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 5:48pm
hi

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a garage on Wirral that could repair the thread in the spark plug hole on my cars cylinder head.

looking for garage that could do an in-situ repair using a spark plug repair kit rather than removing cylinder head.

thanks d
Posted By: fish5133 Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 6:28pm
agh! my worst nightmare when I used to change my own plugs. Good luck
Posted By: Mark Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 6:34pm
There is or used to be a process called a helicoil ?

The problem you will have is any re-tapping debris goes back down the cylinder then its engine etc. . .

[youtube]sQHRB2ElZJ0[/youtube]

Birkenhead engines done mine years ago, but to do it in situ is a big ask its normally going to have to be stripped down.
Posted By: homeraway Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 7:05pm
hi

thanks for the comments, yeah know about helicoils but really looking for a garage that will do it in-situ.

Posted By: kamikazi Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 7:12pm
Doubt anyone will do it in situ and offer any kind of guarantee, a helicoil means they drill out the old thread, retap it with a new thread, then glue the new thread (the helicoil) to thenew tap.

This all puts swarf into the cylinder, not good for the liner or rings. There may well be a new process since I built motors for a living.

My advice is take it off, get it done on the bench and refit,

K

Posted By: Vanmanone Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 7:47pm
I wouldn`t bother with a Heli coil, they tend to come out and break up instead Id put a sleeve in it,There is a a guy who`s done a good job for us on an injector stretch bolt, but I will have to see if I still have his number,Am sure he could manage it without removing the head.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 19th Dec 2014 9:56pm
Couldn't swarf be sucked out with a small nozzle down the plug hole?
Posted By: micka404 Re: spark plug thread repair in cylinder head - 2nd Jan 2015 7:36pm
Have you had a look on u tube ,all kinds of useful vehicle\car info on there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral