Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Convertibles - 29th Nov 2014 12:24pm
Toying with the idea of getting the mrs a used red mini as a surprise xmas present (old car on its way out anyway).
Any thoughts about convertibles ? Are they just really a pointless thing in this country? Draughty and not safe in a crash?

Also anyone have rough idea of cost of respray (not a convertible) in case I find a decent one of another colour

Ta

Posted By: conan Re: Convertibles - 29th Nov 2014 12:38pm
Plenty of red minis out there,so,i wouldnt have thought youd need to budget for a respray.
Ive had a lot of convertibles,rag top ones are good nowadays and safe,however,the best ones that i prefered were metal roof models.The slk 55 that i had was a great car.

The weak point on Bmw minis are the gearbox which fail regularly with a replacement expensive,so listen out for any whining noises etc.

Theres also a great remap available which makes more power.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Convertibles - 29th Nov 2014 12:42pm
The weak gearboxes only affected early models 52 plate etc

Other major problems are electric power steering motors so make sure the steering feels good lock to lock etc
Posted By: madrob Re: Convertibles - 29th Nov 2014 1:53pm
Ive got a convertible bad thing is water leaks in heavy rain makes seats get wet then windows steam up
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Convertibles - 29th Nov 2014 6:31pm
cheers guys food for thought
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Convertibles - 2nd Dec 2014 9:57am
They require a bit of maintenance over winter to prevent mould and moisture build up, but are well worth it, even on a clear winters day. Pop on hat and scarf, put the top down (when the car interior has been warmed up first to "soften" the hood) and go for a run.

Mohair hoods are generally considered to be better.

If you go for a folding "tin top", prices on Peugeot 206cc and 307cc are very reasonable at the minute.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral