Forums
Posted By: j_demo headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 7:11pm
this has had me scratching my head for a few weeks now and i'm hoping somebody here can enlighten me.

with the current sublime weather we are experiencing and the long bright days we have accompanying that, i am wondering why on earth people drive round with their full headlights on at all times of the day?

i'm not talking about 9-10 pm where it will be getting dusk, i'm talking about morning, midday, afternoon and evenings, you know, when it's really bright and warm out.

Volvo's i appreciate always have their lights on and Italian law states cars must always drive round with dipped headlights, so i'll let some italian cars off. But many times i've been in front of things like BMW X3/5's with their headlights fully on in the middle of the day, same with many other cars VW Golf/polo's, Vauxhall Zafira's, Audi A5's, Mini's, BMW's of all makes, even Nissan Micra's.

i'm not having a moan, it's up to others if they want to have their headlights on in the middle of the day, i would just like some explanation as to why people do it... it's one of them little things that i just can't get my head around. i must not be the only one... surely?

can anyone explain? please...
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:02pm
When that day comes when you pulled out anddid not see that car, you will have wished they had headlights on then. You can be the best observational driver but even the best dont always see the car that clips them. I think headlights, dipped beam that is, should always be on. I personally put them on at the slightest dull day. Probably would not have had them on today like lol. The annoying thing is when they are not adjusted properly though. Former driving instructor here and motorcyclist.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:06pm
Totally agree, here in NA, they come on standard for the last 4 years on new cars.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:18pm
A little info
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html
Posted By: j_demo Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:23pm
Originally Posted by Chopper1979
When that day comes when you pulled out anddid not see that car, you will have wished they had headlights on then. You can be the best observational driver but even the best dont always see the car that clips them. I think headlights, dipped beam that is, should always be on. I personally put them on at the slightest dull day. Probably would not have had them on today like lol. The annoying thing is when they are not adjusted properly though. Former driving instructor here and motorcyclist.

accept they MAY help see a car, but if you can't see 1 and a half to 2 tonnes of big shiny metal thing then perhaps it's time to have your eyes tested.

ok at night, you can see when a car is coming because you can see the lights first, but i'm questioning the use of them in bright, almost blinding, sunlight.

motorbikes fine yes, i know they always have headlights on and that's fine with me.

it's the ones in their chelsea tractors who drive a foot from your back bumper with their lights fully on and as i have a fairly low car, all i get in my rearview is a bright set of headlights which is both distracting and annoying. I recall one day last week when a range rover was behind me with it's FULL BEAM on (possibly by accident, hopefully by accident!) and i was blinded by it as it was perfect height for my rear window into my rear view mirror, even the little switch for anti-glare didn't do much to help me. Xenon's at full beam are quite bright. i ended up having to pull over and just let them go ahead. i couldn't really believe it...
Posted By: j_demo Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:27pm

wondered what they were for, but they cause me no stress, well maybe a little but won't in future now i know what they are. i mean the people with obvious side or headlights on. maybe it's me. but i just don't get it.
Posted By: LittleFoote Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 8:56pm
I wonder why so many people drive with fog lights on when there is no fog.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: headlights - 22nd Jun 2014 9:57pm
because they don't know they are on and don't understand the light switches in the car
Posted By: MikeT Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 4:37am
Originally Posted by j_demo
BMW X3/5's with their headlights fully on

"LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I have a BMW X5 and you don't!"

It's just pathetic willy-waving.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 5:23am
My car has "driving lights" they are LED strips that run in the bumper. As fad as I'm aware they are always on unless I turn my lights to manual mode. Much prefer auto lights though, most new cars have them. Mine is a willy waving Merc.
Posted By: SantaSusanna Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 6:46am
So much fiction in this thread, don't even know where to start.

Anyway, headlights on all the time for me, leave the switch turned to on and they go off and on with the engine.

A) my car has horrendous yellow daytime running lights which go off with dipped beam. I prefer the xenon lamps to the DRL.

B) if it means there's a 1% chance that one of the mongs that drive on our roads spot me then it's worth it.
Posted By: Dilly Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 7:23am
Originally Posted by MikeT
BMW X3/5's with their headlights fully on

"LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I have a BMW X5 and you don't!"

It's just pathetic willy-waving.

Wouldn't mind a decent willy to wave never mind a bmw smile
Posted By: Garygadge Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 7:23am
My car has auto on/off headlights and on a sunny day if I drive through a very shaded area they switch on, not on dipped but main headlight, it can take far too long at times for them to switch off again automatically. Maybe that's the reason?
Posted By: SantaSusanna Re: headlights - 23rd Jun 2014 7:33am
Originally Posted by Garygadge
My car has auto on/off headlights and on a sunny day if I drive through a very shaded area they switch on, not on dipped but main headlight, it can take far too long at times for them to switch off again automatically. Maybe that's the reason?

If your main beam come on automatically then they're broken.

I can say without any hesitation that it's your dipped beam that come on.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: headlights - 24th Jun 2014 11:32am
I guess there are a few reasons why people drive with their headlights on in the day, my guesses would be...

1 - Lazyness, people leave them on, so they come on / off with the engine. New cars often have illuminated dash boards all the time, and at night if they are one you could be left to think your lights are also on as in the past dash lights come on with the head lights - having them on all the time stops you forgetting to turn them on.

2 - Visibility. Better to be to visible than not. Just the posting of this thread suggests you have noticed these car more than others which isnt a bad thing smile
Posted By: Garygadge Re: headlights - 24th Jun 2014 5:27pm
Originally Posted by SantaSusanna
Originally Posted by Garygadge

If your main beam come on automatically then they're broken.

I can say without any hesitation that it's your dipped beam that come on.

Main beam rather than high beam is what I meant
Posted By: j_demo Re: headlights - 24th Jun 2014 8:22pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
2 - Visibility. Better to be to visible than not. Just the posting of this thread suggests you have noticed these car more than others which isnt a bad thing smile

i'd still have noticed because i'm not blind... i'm just really curious as to why people consciously drive round with headlights on in the middle of a very bright, perfect, sunny summer's day!
Posted By: SantaSusanna Re: headlights - 24th Jun 2014 8:30pm
i'm just really curious as to why people consciously drive round with headlights on in the middle of a very bright, perfect, sunny summer's day!

Yeah, and now you've been told.

Next...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: headlights - 25th Jun 2014 11:15am
Also, if you ask any biker, they consiously run in daylight with headlights on to be more visable.

If people want to do that in cars, fine by me smile
Posted By: j_demo Re: headlights - 25th Jun 2014 4:50pm
Originally Posted by SantaSusanna
i'm just really curious as to why people consciously drive round with headlights on in the middle of a very bright, perfect, sunny summer's day!

Yeah, and now you've been told.

Next...

no... there's more than one reason and i doubt it's to be seen better. i mean if you feel the need to be more visable when you're driving round in 2 tonnes of shiny metal thing then you have problems. especially when you're behind me shining your xenons straight into my eyes via the rearview mirror, i don't appreciate it tbh.

and don't be so cheeky.
Posted By: Tatey Re: headlights - 26th Jun 2014 6:50am
I prefer to have my man Grimsdyke walk in front with a red flag. Much safer.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: headlights - 26th Jun 2014 7:35am

no... there's more than one reason and i doubt it's to be seen better. i mean if you feel the need to be more visable when you're driving round in 2 tonnes of shiny metal thing then you have problems. especially when you're behind me shining your xenons straight into my eyes via the rearview mirror, i don't appreciate it tbh.

and don't be so cheeky.

People crash in to buses, trains, lorries, and they are all more easy to spot than a car confused

I suspect all the suggestions have probably now been exhausted - maybe stop the next person you see with lights on and ask wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: headlights - 26th Jun 2014 8:10am
Originally Posted by Tatey
I prefer to have my man Grimsdyke walk in front with a red flag. Much safer.

I am pleased to hear that Grimsdyke has found employment with your good self Tatey. I had to let him go after that unsavoury incident with the Scullery Maid behind the West Lodge Kennels.

I hope you are not putting too much Carbide in those headlamps of yours old chap. You don't want to cause any inconvenience to other automobilists on the highway do you?

See you at the club Tatey !

Posted By: StuyMac Re: headlights - 26th Jun 2014 9:33am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: headlights - 26th Jun 2014 9:38am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
[Linked Image]

Don't worry Stuy, it's an "in" joke with Tatey (and I'm off my meds.)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral