Forums
Posted By: Mike72 Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 9:15pm
Hi, I have the above car but today it has started having a steering problem. The battery indicator light come's on on the dashboard and my power steering does not work. Is this an easy fix or a major costly problem? Help welcome smile
Posted By: Dilly Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 9:52pm
From what you have said I would think there is a problem with your alternator.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 9:58pm
Check to see if you still have a fan belt.
Posted By: Mike72 Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 10:03pm
It first happened on Thursday and i just thought it was nothing, then it started again today but for a lot longer. as i got home it went fine again.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 10:38pm
iirc it's powered directly from the alternator??

(waits for the sad people with no life who probably still live with their mothers despite being about 50 years of age to come along and whinge about using new fangled modern abbrevs)
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 14th Dec 2013 10:52pm
Mum......... Didn't Dilly say it was the alternator? :-)
Posted By: Mike72 Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 7:26am
And got up thismoring to go to work and the car is fine, very strange indeed. Anyone have a rough idea on cost involved if it turns out to be the alternator?
Posted By: turnip Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 9:27am
To get a new alternator including labour I would say you're looking around the £200-£250 mark. I looked online and assumed its a 1.6 petrol just for the sake of pricing.
Posted By: turnip Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 9:34am
As above, sounds like an issue with the alternator output especially if the alternator warning light comes on at the same time the power assistance fails. check for poor connections first though.
Posted By: Mike72 Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 10:17am
Just priced one up on euro car parts £140 which is not to bad but was hoping it not to be as expensive, ah well frown
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 10:58am
Originally Posted by Mike72
Just priced one up on euro car parts £140 which is not to bad but was hoping it not to be as expensive, ah well frown
Set up account with euro car parts online, add item to your basket, (make sure you are logged in when you do this) then close your browser, within 48 hrs you will get email reminding you its in your basket, also you get a 30% discount code to use.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mercedes A Class X Reg steering problem - 15th Dec 2013 1:00pm
That's useful to know, Willo.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral