Forums
Posted By: Elyth Renault clio - 12th Dec 2013 9:58pm
Hey all

my friend has a renault clio and she's been having issues with it. During the day she can drive around fine but once it gets dark and she puts the lights on and starts to desteam the windows etc the car goes all jumpy like it loses power. If she stops at traffic lights she has to over rev it or it will stall from losing power. However some nights it doesn't do it at either so we are just not sure what is going on with it. It never happens during the day though. With it coming up to christmas she can't really afford a massive repair so was just wondering if anyone knew what it was and how much it could cost? so we are not going into this completely blind.

Thanks
Posted By: Salmon Re: Renault clio - 12th Dec 2013 10:39pm
Oh dear, problem is that so many faults can cause loss of power.I hate to say it but it seems to me that only a diagnostic check can possibly identify the fault.You don't mention age of the car or if/when it was last serviced which could help more enlightened members to post a possible solution. Could be so many things ignition/fuel/spark plugs/blocked fuel injector etc.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Renault clio - 12th Dec 2013 11:09pm
Alternator maybe?
Posted By: jefff3 Re: Renault clio - 12th Dec 2013 11:44pm
efo alternaitor,buy a new un from euro parts argyle ind est b/head,get a mek to fit it,if ya don't no a gud un try aj motors frodsham street tranmere,they trustworthy,prob is car a frog,mite not be easy to swap
Posted By: jefff3 Re: Renault clio - 12th Dec 2013 11:55pm
It cost few hundred minium,if alty f u ck ed ya need a new un,no cheap option
Posted By: Mark Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 8:19am
You can get reconditioned alternators which are as good as new too a bit cheaper, and then shop around for someone to fit it.

I'm not convinced its the battery?
There is not enough juice in the battery to sustain the draw you need. So it could be a battery not holding the correct amps or a alternator not charging the battery enough.

It is a difficult one to narrow down.
You may find a kind auto electrician that can do some basic tests to work out which it is. Electrics and cars = money £££

The Alternator should be throwing back at the Battery +12v I think its more like 13v but don't quote me i'm not an Auto Electrician.

How to Check an Alternator Click Me

or

[youtube]Bzz7P3qNHcE[/youtube]

It may be easier to check the battery first.

How to check a car battery Click Me

[youtube]r6_0-wfj8O8[/youtube]

And after all that it could be simply a corroded connection or loose connection causing all the problems smile

Good Luck
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 9:03am
Sounds very much like that alternator.

A reconditioned one should set you back less than £50, and about £50 at a garage to fit it.
Posted By: markhoz Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 11:19am
Hi,After many years in the trade,my money would be on a poor connection..If it was the alternator/battery then the car would not start the next morning,,the most common fault is the main earth connection to the car body.Locate the battery earth,the big black wire,,follow it until you find where it connects to the body,,large bolt,remove bolt,clean the body with some abrasive paper until it is shiny,do the same with the terminal on the wire,,and replace,good idea to clean battery terminals while you are at it,,I could well be wrong,impossible to say sitting at a keyboard,but will cost nothing and will not take long,,have had this several times over the years,,More than happy to put a multi meter on the battery and run car to check alternator output for you,,again,will cost you nowt..
Mark.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 7:07pm
message turnip on here, his dad sorted my daughters clio out, excellent mechanic
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 9:06pm
Any update? was any advice used etc and is car fixed?
Posted By: raymondo Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 10:09pm
Originally Posted by jefff3
It cost few hundred minium,if alty f u ck ed ya need a new un,no cheap option

a few hundred .....jesus where you been shoping?
Posted By: raymondo Re: Renault clio - 13th Dec 2013 10:10pm
alt not charging correctly under load etc when lights are on
Posted By: Elyth Re: Renault clio - 14th Dec 2013 12:40pm
thanks for the all the suggestions. I passed the info on and my friend went to a garage in the end after trying to figure it out. The car ended up needing 4 new spark plugs and an ignition coil pack. They went to Quarrys garage and they did it straight away, came to £138 with labour. Thanks all smile
Posted By: Salmon Re: Renault clio - 14th Dec 2013 1:32pm
Glad it is sorted
© Wirral-Wikiwirral