Forums
Posted By: bazzoh £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 2:01pm
Just been to the esso garage in hoylake, fuel gauge was low but not enough to put the fuel light on, put £10 of "fuel" in, paid etc, got in car and noticed the needle was still low! Went back in and asked the attendant if the pump (number 8) was working properly, he told me it was so I drove off. Got to hoylake vets surgery and the fuel light came on! Basically I've paid £10 for fresh air! Absolutely fuming!!

Just gone back and they've said nothing they can do but leave a note for the manager!
So just beware peeps!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 2:27pm
We get this a lot on the Pug forums.

£10 might not be enough to move the needle a noticable amount.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 3:07pm
But would it allow the needle to drop further?
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 4:02pm
happened to me in Sainsbury's upton. it was clocking up the cash but i could tell that nothink was coming out so i pulled it out a bit with it still pressed, as i was right nothink was coming out. went inside to explane but they were having none of it saying the pumps would shut off if nothink was coming out. i said am not happy to use that pump and moved over to another. went in to pay and someone had come back who used the same pump earlier saying that he wants his money back for the petrol he not get. i had to pay for what i never got out of the other pump. lucky i noticed sooner only had to pay £4.50 for fresh air.
Posted By: little_pob Re: £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 4:30pm
Get in touch with Trading Standards: http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/petrol-advice/petrol-filling-station.htm#section482081-2

Phone number for Wirral Council's TS is 0151 691 8020
For Cheshire West and Chester (i.e. Ellesmere Port and Neston) you have to go through Citizen's Advice: 08454 04 05 06
Posted By: rover644 Re: £10 of fresh air - 21st Aug 2013 10:45pm
Sometimes if I do a few miles with the light on and put £10 in (which unfortunately is bugger all these days) it hardly even moves the needle. The light will be back on before I get down the road
Posted By: s7uajones Re: £10 of fresh air - 31st Aug 2013 11:21am
Next time put £20 in see if that works tight wad
Posted By: Salmon Re: £10 of fresh air - 31st Aug 2013 12:19pm
Nothing unusual in such a small amount not moving the needle when you think how much the tank will hold and £10 is a lot less than 2 gallons these days. So you have your petrol alight. Maybe next time you put the engine on the gauge will show a bit more anyway.If you are on a hill you get different readings depending on which way you are facing.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral