Forums
Posted By: baldybrewer MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 7:38pm
If a cars MOT is due in August and I booked a test now and it failed would the MOT due in August still be valid ?
Posted By: Dilly Re: MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 7:43pm
I Think this would make your old mot invalid as the car has now been deemed unfit for the road.
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 7:47pm
Thats what I thought but I just wanted to check smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 7:55pm
Your old MoT is for 12m (or up to 13m if you renew it up to 1m early), and it's valid for that long, a new MoT wouldn't remove the old one.

You can have your car tested up to a month early to keep your renewal date, if you had a blown bulb it wouldn't immediately cancel your old MoT, it would still be valid but it would make it fail the new MoT, the old one however is still in force.

Your vehicle, after failing its MoT, may not be safe for the road (it wasn't safe anyway, the new MoT just let you know about it) or may have defects (even if its only the blown bulb), but the original MoT is still a valid legal document that covers you for the full 12m

You can have the car pass an MoT one day, sell the car and someone else MoTs it the next, if it fails it STILL has the original MoT, the failure does not remove it.
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 8:27pm
Thanks TheDr
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MOT laws - 9th Apr 2013 8:31pm
As the Dr says, your MOT is valid for 1 year - or 13 months if you did it early the previous year.

So, should your car fail and MOT now, but the MOT isnt due until August, then you still have a valid MOT.

However, if you get stopped - and your car had failed on something, you can be done for driving a car which is dangerous / unfit for the road (unsure of the wording) - but this is not the same as no MOT.

Its also worth remembering that the system is now computerised, and should your car fail this is stored on the VOSA system. Im not sure if this information is passed on to the Police, but if it is, it may flag up your car on an ANPR check for being unsafe and prompt a stop / check.
Posted By: s7uajones Re: MOT laws - 10th Apr 2013 7:11pm
Yes your old mot is still valid
© Wirral-Wikiwirral