Forums
Posted By: turnip Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:16pm
I'm looking for a way to transport a car less than a mile from moreton. It has no tax, mot or insurance so needs to be trailered or transported. Does anyone have a trailer they can lend me for about an hour or a transporter in the local area? Not keen on paying a company £30 for 10 minutes work.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:18pm
does it run and drive?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:26pm
Originally Posted by turnip
I'm looking for a way to transport a car less than a mile from moreton. It has no tax, mot or insurance so needs to be trailered or transported. Does anyone have a trailer they can lend me for about an hour or a transporter in the local area? Not keen on paying a company £30 for 10 minutes work.

Good luck with that, but take in cnsideration their fuel tax and insurance £30 is not a lot.
Posted By: turnip Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:35pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
does it run and drive?

It did at last attempt. As far as I know it still does smile
Posted By: turnip Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:38pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Originally Posted by turnip

Good luck with that, but take in cnsideration their fuel tax and insurance £30 is not a lot.

I just think that £30 for moving a car .9 of a mile is a bit much. Lets assume that insurance and tax is 700 in them spending 10 minutes on this job almost 1/20th of that is paid
Posted By: x_plore Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:39pm
You could get a tow rope and get a friend to
Tow you
Posted By: turnip Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:42pm
Originally Posted by lozzer
You could get a tow rope and get a friend to
Tow you

I would but that'd be illegal as the car can't legally be on the road.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 3:54pm
The driver has to get to you from where he is based so a ten minute job by the time he arrives loads and unloads would be more likely to be 30 mins , so with his costs taken out he really isn't asking a fortune.
Posted By: turnip Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 4:00pm
I'm not going to argue about a fair price, I'm simply asking if anyone on here has access to such things. If someone has a trailer that's fine as we have a 4 x 4 if someone has a transporter I will of course cover fuel costs and a little extra for the driver.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 5:44pm
tow ropes are illegal now
Posted By: Salmon Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 6:03pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
tow ropes are illegal now

I understand that ropes are still legal but not recommended and certainly not for long distances, emergency use only I believe but I would imagine .9 of a mile would not be a problem. Clearly professionals would only use towbars.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 6:36pm
I have a towing bar (not rope) you can borrow if you want to move it quickly, or an A-Frame you can hook up to the back of your 4x4 if you want to go driverless and turn it into a trailer (if you know how to use one and where to connect it to).

Just give me a shout if you want to use them and I'll leave them in the shop for you.
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: Car transporter - 7th Feb 2013 8:56pm
I dont know where you get 700 pounds for insurance from you need to be looking at 2500 and thats with a clean licence and 5 years no claims and then you need goods in transit insurance in case you lose the car off the back i would say 30 quid is cheap
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Car transporter - 8th Feb 2013 7:53am
30 quid is a steal the chap is trying to make a living
If you drive it and get caught it will be impounded and will cost ten times that if not more to get it back.
Posted By: turnip Re: Car transporter - 8th Feb 2013 9:07am
Again I'm not opening a debate on the price, I asked if anyone had the trailer or transporter and wanted to make a little extra. The dr is pretty much the only person who has answered the original question, although we have now sorted it. Thanks.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Car transporter - 9th Feb 2013 8:01pm
you will still be breaking the law if you use the a-frame as all 4 wheels will be on the ground!!(i only know this as my father was a car trader and was caught).hope you get it to its destination!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral