Forums
Posted By: scoop Car speakers in the home? - 8th Jun 2005 1:25pm
Heres a tough one. I have these speakers in my room that look to be the same size as shreks old fronts where(6.5in) and im wonderin if i cud take the paper cones out and mount my type-S' in there. Wud they wire straight up or do they expect a certain voltage or whatever?
Posted By: Dazza Re: Car speakers in the home? - 8th Jun 2005 9:19pm
Car speakers are 8ohmn, Households are 4Ohmn.
You can do it but you need to wire them up in series - Am not 100% on how/why but thats all I know
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car speakers in the home? - 9th Jun 2005 12:07am
It wont work. Indeed you can alter the ohms but this is not adviseable. Given that the wire has a resisitance, you will not get a proper resistance, they will work but as soon as you start going loud they will distort really bad. Your best bet is to stop bein a cheap ass and by some real house speakers.
Posted By: scoop Re: Car speakers in the home? - 9th Jun 2005 2:39am
Hey! these car speakers cost a fair bit lad! I think ill just get a 12v transformer and build a car install in me room lol. Itd be mint havin a head unit built into me desk and a sub under me bed lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car speakers in the home? - 9th Jun 2005 6:17pm
ok boyo you do that
Posted By: scoop Re: Car speakers in the home? - 21st Jun 2005 6:13pm
Wired them up b4 as i was bored and guess what?!

At a set volume running on the paper 4inch cones its rather quiet with basically no bass being felt and a crackly crap noise,put the 6.5 inch type S alpine deelies in and the volume that comes out is loads louder,cleaner and bassier.

I thought car speakers where 4 ohm. Car subs are 4 3 and 2 ohm depending which u get.I yhink its the home speakers are the 8 ohm ones as with only 1 speaker plugged in the car one wont work.

1car+1home = work,
1 home = work,
1 car = not work,
2 car = work

Basically what i think im seeing here is current will not flow to the single car speaker as the resistance must be too low to pull the current from the amp.Once another speaker is added the resistance increases and the current flows kicking the speaker into life. They are mint. Also it will save my amp overheating as I dont need to run it as hard to reach thumping sound levels. However,the speakers being 6.5inch means the will not fit in my home speakerstack. Ill have to create 2 little enclosures to fit the speakers in. Gonna set it up in a cool way like so

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sted Re: Car speakers in the home? - 22nd Jun 2005 4:50pm
lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral