Forums
Posted By: baldybrewer DVLA database - 25th Nov 2012 7:23pm
Thinking of buying a 02 plate car but it is not registered on the DVLA database or any other database for that matter. Could there be a legitimate reason for the car not being on the database or would I be wise to walk away and find another one.
Posted By: TheDr Re: DVLA database - 25th Nov 2012 7:41pm
It could be that the car has had a cherished plate transfer, and doesn't show the new number yet (but this only takes a few days for the update to show), it could be an import or have a history with a number that has had to be removed (again, only takes a few days to update).

I would take a note of the chassis/VIN number and see if DVLA can shed any light on it, it could be a simple as new plates being made up and digits being mixed up (it happens)
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: DVLA database - 25th Nov 2012 7:58pm
I,m thinking it is an import but the number plate that is on it was registered in 2002.
Seems odd that a car registered in 2002 is not on any car databases so I cant do a check on it.
Posted By: TheDr Re: DVLA database - 25th Nov 2012 9:16pm
If it's an import and has JUST been imported the public access databases may not have been updated yet.

The 2002 plate would have been issued based on declared date of manufacture, not on the import date.

I've known ex MOD vehicles coming off military plates that are 25 or 30 years old getting registration marks showing them to be "new" vehicles, but that's just a quirk on date of first registration.

Tread carefully though, these are only "maybe"s
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: DVLA database - 25th Nov 2012 10:48pm
I'm going to get the vin numbers in the morning to see if they do shed any light on why DVLA have no details on file.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: DVLA database - 26th Nov 2012 9:57am
Leave it alone, if it has had a pp you won't be able to check previous mots to confirm mileage.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral