Forums
Posted By: Steve285 need advice on ice - 22nd Jun 2006 5:06pm
ive ripped out my kenwood double head unit out of my scooby an replaced with an

Alpine CDA9847R 45x4
fitted FLI 6inch components 225w rms85w in the front

and FLI 5inch intergrated in the rear 180w rms60w

i still cant get clear sound when cranked up have been told to fit a sub an others say i just need an amp i am gonna have some 6x9s fitted any one got any advice
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: need advice on ice - 29th Jun 2006 2:29pm
you shouldnt need an amp mate, your speakers should sound okay upto 3/4 of the volume control. If it doesnt you should try adjusting the bass as you may have this set to high. They may be able to handle the bass at a low volume but at a high they will begin to disstort. You need to decide if you want loud crisp sound or low bass sound. As for a sub this will just cover up the distortion you are getting from your speakers not cure the problem. Sub would be gud but i would sort the speakers out first.
Posted By: Steve285 Re: need advice on ice - 2nd Jul 2006 6:09pm
Cheers mate have just bought a jbl 4000amp to run the speakers and 2 fli 1000w 12inch subs hopefully this will do the job think
Posted By: Biggy Re: need advice on ice - 4th Aug 2006 12:28am
it probably won't do the job, if the speakers are distorting running off the headunit, then giving them more power will make them distort more,

what kind of distortion are you getting?
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: need advice on ice - 8th Aug 2006 5:00pm
got a 12inch fli sub in my civic, kicks like a bugger!
Posted By: Steve285 Re: need advice on ice - 8th Aug 2006 7:57pm
Biggy its when you put any bass on they distort
Posted By: scoop Re: need advice on ice - 8th Aug 2006 8:30pm
Problems lie within the cables or the speaker quality,or ur standards are too high and u think u can get massive volume out of a head unit and cheap speakers. my alpine head unit sounds fabulous up to about 23 out of 35 and thats theu alpine R components. Bass is enough to FEEL.

I recomend
a)changing speaker cable to proper stuff
b)changing to better speakers
c)adding a sub to deal with the bass and reducing bass thru the speakers as they shud be able to cope with the mid range at high volumes
Posted By: Steve285 Re: need advice on ice - 8th Aug 2006 10:31pm
Scoop i can get to 21 out of 35 no probs just when i go above havin the amps an subs fitted next month so will see then
Posted By: CustomIce Re: need advice on ice - 4th Dec 2006 1:44pm
I'd definately change the speaker cable anyway. 21 and above on the HU is probably starting to reach the output device's limits, so amping the speakers will give you more 'headroom' and less distortion.
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: need advice on ice - 10th Dec 2006 12:05pm
also when u get the subs in u can just have the subs to run the lower bass lines and the rest of the speakers will drive the mid and high sounds. this is how i run my set up i can get the volume up 2 nearly full b 4 the sub starts to distort and the rest of the speakers go all the way up because they arnt trying to hit notes they can never achive
Posted By: Sanchez Re: need advice on ice - 19th Dec 2006 11:24am
ste, your music all boils down to one simple thing - cost. your music is as good as your stereo, speakers, cable and amps. so as all of the guys above say upgrade upgrade and upgrade.
Posted By: scoop Re: need advice on ice - 28th Dec 2006 5:31pm
any news on this steve,has the sub made life easier (reduce the bass settings on ur headunit to reduce distortion,then whack ur "SUB+" setting up,and then adjust amp to taste)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral