Forums
Posted By: Rossyboy Head unit gets hot - 6th Jan 2006 12:24pm
i bought a new JVC head unit the other day and when its been on for more than an hour it gets really hot and the CDs come out absolutly roasting hot. does anyone know if this is normal or is my car just gona blow up or somethin?
Posted By: scoop Re: Head unit gets hot - 6th Jan 2006 2:44pm
does it have a heatsheild on the back?its a chunk of metal made to absorb all the heat away from the unit,if its a mad unit it may not have been fitted when u installed it,may be loose in the packaging??

If its not that then is it cramped in the area its fitted,are the heater pipes back there that are making its home hot?

Maybe try taking it out and running it for an hour just sat on the centre console infront of the gearknob?? Are u playing it at really loud volume,i know my headunit gets mega hot if i crank it up for any extended legnths of time,its never cut out on me tho
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Head unit gets hot - 9th Jan 2006 7:32pm
to be honest, it has been turned up really loud like, thats probably it. nice one cheers
Posted By: scoop Re: Head unit gets hot - 9th Jan 2006 8:01pm
chaaaaav,only kiddin fella,good tip is to only turn it up about 2/3 power

I run my alpine unit at 22 max,it goes to 35

Any more volume needed use an amp as itll keep the signal clean
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Head unit gets hot - 10th Jan 2006 12:47pm
nice one. im not gona have it turned up that loud now until i get my full system sorted. cheers for the help.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Head unit gets hot - 10th Jan 2006 6:13pm
yep, get your self some amps and let them make the music loud !, im sellin some at the mo if your interested
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Head unit gets hot - 11th Jan 2006 2:50pm
what amps you sellin?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Head unit gets hot - 12th Jan 2006 1:06am
i got a fusion one, it s the one you get with the fusion sub and amp package from halfods
Posted By: Dazza Re: Head unit gets hot - 21st Jan 2006 9:32pm
Headunits are ment to run hot, I only know of about one that is fitted with a cooling fan and thats b'cos its an all singing all dancing Alpine and costs over £400.

Theres not too much you can do about it
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Head unit gets hot - 23rd Jan 2006 12:14pm
im not that worried about it gettin hot it's just that it only needs to be on for about an hour & it will be properly hot. it's not even on that high volume, goes up to 50 i have it on between 15 & 20.
Posted By: scoop Re: Head unit gets hot - 23rd Jan 2006 9:10pm
on for an hour,i cant remember the last time i was in my car for an hour,try 4 hours with it set to 2/3 power,itll be too hot to touch lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral