Forums
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 8:09pm
Bit of help please guys. Going to look at a car this week,

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Finesse T reg (1999) 62000 miles service history MOT Feb 2013 £795.

As I know very little about cars is this a good price? Is there anything I should be looking for?

Many thanks in advance

TheMrs
Posted By: mikroc Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 8:20pm
slightly overpriced
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 8:36pm
I wouldn't pay more than £700 if being honest.

My sister had a similar car and the engine seemed solid, rust was a factor, back wheel archers and sills were the main issues.

When you view car before you knock on door put hand on bonnet and see if it's warm as they may have warmed it if it has trouble starting. Also let the car run up to temprature and check thermostat kicks in to cool engine down correctly. Make sure you have a good 10-15 minute drive and listen for any strange noises (turn radio off).

Best of all use gut instinct and good luck.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 8:37pm
Wouldn't bother looking at that price to be honest.

It will be a Mk4 Fiesta so if you do go and look at it remember these points...

Rear arches rust like mad, check for repairs.

Check for knocks on the front and rear suspension, both are cheap fixes for home mechanics but if you don't like fixing cars walk away as the labour will be high.

The 1.3 is an 8 valve engine an will be "tappety" these engines always sound that way, check for smoke and check the service history.

Look at the MOT and see if there were any advisories, if so there will of been a sheet stapled to it. If this is not with it then get the MOT number and chack online, I can rpovide a link if you need it.

If I were you though I would be goin for this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-02-F...t=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3375aa6f2b
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 8:56pm
Many thanks all for the advice

MrPhil I really like the look of that car thanks. I will be taking a day off work to go and veiw this if you really think its worth it. So again is there anything, as a novice I should be looking and listening for? I presume the price is about right?

TheMrs

Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 9:06pm
Here are some more tips for the fezz bombs.....

1.25 fiestas should idle perfect and not smoke, if it does then walk away. Really not worth the bother.

Door handles like to snap, easy fix for £20

Rear boot locks also stick, open it with the button on the key and it should "pop" then you can lift it. If it doesn't then it will be another cost you might have to fix.

Headlight bulbs are another one, want to change them? If so head lights have to come off and grill. Pointless trying to put them in any other way as it is easy to fix.

Put the car in 4th, try and pull off. Stalls hen good if not walk away.

Does the car go into gear easy from 1st? If so thats good, if not then it will be another problem that will get worse over time plus result in a new slave cylinder and clutch.
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Good price for car ? - 6th May 2012 9:16pm
I'd save your money and look for a tidy K11 Micra. £800 should get you a tidy example with power steering and low miles.

EDIT. Here's one on an 02 plate,

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...tax-no-time-wasters-no-traders/101791283
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 7th May 2012 9:43am
Thanks again all

Really wanted a 4 door car so will leave the Micra but thanks for looking mark1970

Think I'm gonna arrange to have a look at that Fiesta tomorrow evening. ( many thanks again for the tips on what to look out for )

Might see if they will take £700 smile (too cheeky?)

Thanks again
TheMrs
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Good price for car ? - 7th May 2012 10:49am
hi mate the fact it was, and is a mass produced small family car ,should go in your favour !!

if it was me and i liked the car i would offer £600 on the basis that you have another 20 or so to look at (nudge nudge)

am sure it may help sway things once the seller sees you have a wad of 600 notes waved under his nose at the time ,as at least he will then know you are a GENUINE BUYER.....

dont forget that its in your favour that there are plenty of fiesta,s within your budget on the market mate ..

hope the viewing goes well for you and post back if you make a deal mate smirk

and as said tinworm is an old fords enemy so check v carefully along the sills and also the arches too
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Good price for car ? - 7th May 2012 10:51am
i know someone selling a 1.2 '51' plate clio, but dont have any details as they're on holiday this week
Originally Posted by Headcoat_TheMrs
Bit of help please guys. Going to look at a car this week,

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Finesse T reg (1999) 62000 miles service history MOT Feb 2013 £795.

As I know very little about cars is this a good price? Is there anything I should be looking for?

Many thanks in advance

TheMrs
Posted By: DavidB Re: Good price for car ? - 7th May 2012 3:22pm
Originally Posted by mark1970
I'd save your money and look for a tidy K11 Micra. £800 should get you a tidy example with power steering and low miles.

EDIT. Here's one on an 02 plate,

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...tax-no-time-wasters-no-traders/101791283

I was going to say avoid old Fords and go for a Micra. They never go wrong. The Fiesta's, Ka's and Focus's have a really crazy rust problem.
Also warming engine thing isn't a big issue on modern engines, it's an old throwback to carbs.

Originally Posted by MrPhil
The 1.3 is an 8 valve engine an will be "tappety" these engines always sound that way, check for smoke and check the service history.

I think the 1.3 is the pushrod Kent engine, still in use from the 50's! Reliable/noisy.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 8th May 2012 7:47pm
Evening all

Went to look at the Fiesta that MrPhil found but didnt buy it frown

Took it for a quick drive round the block and the steering just didnt feel right. It felt kind of heavy and wasnt comfy to drive. also the exhaust didnt sound right. at least I presume it was the exhaust, it was making a weird kinda noise, not blowing or rattling...more of like a hum? also was a little smokey when idle. Could have just been cold I guess ?

Anyway as I said it didnt really feel right so I walked away.

Many many thanks for the advice.

Still on the look out for a small 4 door car if anyone knows of any that might be worth a look.

Thanks again

TheMrs
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Good price for car ? - 8th May 2012 8:05pm
DO NOT buy a ka, they are crap, don't buy a 3 cylinder corsa either, they are worse and before all the defenders butt in...

shh

You don't know your onions from your carrots.

smile
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 8th May 2012 8:09pm
Dont like the look of the Ka anyway smile but ty
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Good price for car ? - 8th May 2012 9:14pm
You done the right thing, GUT INSTINCT is normally right.

Hope you find what your are after, dont buy one if patience wears down, make sure it feel's right.

Chris Gilly on here sometimes has little cars or knows of some about.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 8th May 2012 9:25pm
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
You done the right thing, GUT INSTINCT is normally right.

Hope you find what your are after, dont buy one if patience wears down, make sure it feel's right.

Chris Gilly on here sometimes has little cars or knows of some about.

Ditto.

All good shouts to be honest.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 9th May 2012 8:37am
ebay

Worth a look ?

TheMrs
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 9th May 2012 8:56am
ebay

or this?

TheMrs
Posted By: DavidB Re: Good price for car ? - 9th May 2012 9:12am
I'm selling a Skoda Felicia! happy hi grin

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...5_Skoda_Felicia_1_3_LXi_.html#Post683920
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 9th May 2012 9:44am
Thanks but looking for something a little newer

Good luck smile

TheMrs
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 11th May 2012 9:58am
maybe this one ?

2000 X VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2 SXI 16V - SUPERB CONDITION!!!!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 11th May 2012 6:15pm
There is a 306 forsale local to me for 595, will pop round for the details if you want? 1.4 Meridian W plate
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 11th May 2012 6:25pm
Hi MrPhil Sounds good to me smile Would be really nice of you to get the details for me if your sure you really dont mind

Is this on the road or in a garage?

Many thanks

TheMrs

Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 11th May 2012 9:43pm
Was unable to get out tonight, will pop round first thing and pm you.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 11th May 2012 10:36pm
No probs...thank you smile

TheMrs
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Good price for car ? - 12th May 2012 3:10pm
Clear your pm's Mrs please.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 12th May 2012 7:01pm
ooops sorry

done smile

TheMrs
Posted By: johncon Re: Good price for car ? - 13th May 2012 5:27pm

nice but thought you wanted a 4 door !
beware the boy racer lights and air filter
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 13th May 2012 5:38pm
Originally Posted by johncon

nice but thought you wanted a 4 door !
beware the boy racer lights and air filter

Haha yer I do want a four door but really liked the look of that one smile Went and looked at another Corsa and have now def decided I want a 4 door car !! Looking at maybe a Citreon Xsara?

I,ve seen some right bins in the last few days, even me as someone who knows nowt about cars would not pay some of the money they are asking.

Ah well...back to trawling the internet

TheMrs
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 16th May 2012 6:47pm
Evening all

Yay I bought a car smile

Y RENAULT MEGANE 1.4 EXPRESSION 5 DR

MOT April 2013
6mnths tax

77K on the clock

£500

Happy Days

Just gotta scrap the old Pug

Many many thanks to everyone here for their help and advice

TheMrs
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Good price for car ? - 17th May 2012 8:17pm
ok more help please guys

Just notice what I think is the air intake hose is broken. Where can I buy one and how easy are they to fit?

Yer I know I'm a pain wink

Many thanks

TheMrs
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Good price for car ? - 17th May 2012 9:57pm
For something like that it may be worth trying wirral spares on borough road, they will have a look what it is for you too. Hoses are normally easy and just a screwdriver needed.

I use to have a 1.4 megane, enjoyed it and a nice drive I thought, bigger than some think too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral