Forums
Posted By: carbooter oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 8:46am
I have a Volvo 850 auto saloon

Great car but it has an oil leak at the base of the engine which I am assured by my mechanic can only be cured by taking the engine out..he says the car is not worth the expense and to just put up with leak...while I value his advice I am going away on holiday soon and there is designated parking for my car..I am worried that there will be oil all over the place while I am there..anyone know of a way to slow down or stop oil leak please

Thank you
Posted By: chriskay Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 9:17am
Rear main oil seal failure. Quite common. Not engine out, but gearbox off.
Usually caused by blockage of PCV system.
Volvo allow 6.25 hours.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 9:18am
For now i would just put a rag and a tray down under the car, leave a brick it in to stop it blowing away and take the advice of your mechanic and just keep topping it up. If the oil is passing through quite quickly then put the cheapest oil you can get your hands on to top up with!
Posted By: carbooter Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 9:24am
many thanks to you both ..I only paid £400 for car and it is a luxury drive but to pay another £250 for gearbox out is a little bit too much for me to afford..as I said, thank-you to both of you
Posted By: Anonymous Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 9:25am
i hate oul leaks and personally would do my head in enough to justify ripping engine out and replacing the crank seal itself !!!

may even be possible to do if you remove the gearbox instead of lifting engine out possibly ??
Posted By: Salmon Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 12:01pm
You can buy stuff from Halfords etc to stop leaks, I have no idea if it is any good and suspect would only work for tiny leaks.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_201091_langId_-1_categoryId_255219
Posted By: chriskay Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 12:28pm
Originally Posted by NON_CUSTOM

may even be possible to do if you remove the gearbox instead of lifting engine out possibly ??

That's what I said. It's the way Volvo do it.
Posted By: conan Re: oil leaks - 5th Apr 2012 9:40pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
You can buy stuff from Halfords etc to stop leaks, I have no idea if it is any good and suspect would only work for tiny leaks.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_201091_langId_-1_categoryId_255219

Yep it does work,had a ford cougar couple of years ago with a fairly bad leak and this cured it completely,its worth a try at least IMHO.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: oil leaks - 6th Apr 2012 1:57pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by NON_CUSTOM

That's what I said. It's the way Volvo do it.

woaahhh calm down dude lol did i say you never said it hahahah !!!

just read the post from the op and reply,d mate thats all ....

© Wirral-Wikiwirral