Forums
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 6:30pm
just wandering what the best way to get half my key out the ignition barrel? Its a clean snap halfway down the key. I can still start my car using the other half that not stuck but obviously i need to get a new key cut as i cant keep doing that forever but i cant seem to get it out

any ideas?

Posted By: reddragon Re: key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 6:35pm
Hi Karl try using a pair of long nose pliers with a magnet alongside the pliers or an electricians screwdriver with a magnet alongside the metal of the driver
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 7:50pm
Proper way is to remove the lock assembly and dismantle it, most locksmiths and garages will do this, some locksmiths will have tools that "might" tease it out..

If you can see the key bit down the lock then there is a method that sometimes works but you have to be extremely careful and patient.

Depending on the size of the hole you need a matchstick or cocktail stick - whichever fits down the hole without touching the sides.

Put the lock in the steering lock position so that the key could be removed if it was intact.

Cut the end of the matchstick cocktail stick ensuring you have a flat end.

Put a VERY small amount of superglue on the end of the stick.

Push the stick firmly onto the end of the broken key, making sure you dont get any glue on the sides of the key hole. Hold it still for at least 20 seconds and then try and withdraw the key.

Best place to push against is the thickest part of the key near the middle.

Needless to say I don't hold any responsibility if this goes wrong (glue in lock) but I have succeeded in doing this on more than one occasion. Reason for cutting the matchstick is that they are wax covered but sometimes its worth a first attempt without cutting it. After cutting it the wood is sometimes very absorbent and superglue dries almost instantly if it is absorbed.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 8:05pm
Sorry off topic but sounds like a milatry operation Lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 8:12pm
Originally Posted by Sarah_ZR
Sorry off topic but sounds like a milatry operation Lol

Funnily enough, I learnt the trick on a military base thumbsup
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: key snapped in ignition - 15th Mar 2012 8:14pm
Lol thought along them lines dd smile
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 10:58am
Now the half has stopped working and i cant see the other end of the snapped key to try and get it out.

Any ideas before having to pay for a locksmith?
Posted By: Clive Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 11:24am
Originally Posted by DJ_Karl_David
Now the half has stopped working and i cant see the other end of the snapped key to try and get it out.

Any ideas before having to pay for a locksmith?
Can you get your ignition to turn to postion 1, if so, i sent you pm telling you how to get it out.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 11:27am
Willo it wont turn at all now. Steering lock is on aswell

Think im gonna have to ring a locksmith mate. Thanks anyway
Posted By: Clive Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 11:38am
It will be a lot chaeaper to take ignition off, and get one from scrappy and put it on. 30 min job.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 11:45am
this is me your talking too mate i couldnt even fit my own lighter haha!

Can i take ignition off with the steering lock on?
Posted By: Clive Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 11:46am
You can yes, I can come do it if you want.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 12:58pm
I thought you were a true Birko Karl? You should be able to hotwire that baby in a minute!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: key snapped in ignition - 16th Mar 2012 12:59pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pablo42 Re: key snapped in ignition - 17th Mar 2012 2:04pm
I've known a couple of girls who could suck it out for you. Not been in contact for a while though...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral