Forums
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:08pm
Hello

I have an 05 vauxhall corsa which was sold to us without the locking nut case but just the nut that used to rattle around the glove compartment, needless to say we have now lost the locking nut and have no record of the number for the right key. The front two tyres are now very bald and I do 60 miles a day motorway driving so the current weather conditions are making me a rather worried driver.

Over the last week I have spoken to and visited so many tyre places but not one of them has a nut that matches and can only suggest smashing them off and getting new ones.

I really don't want them smashed or welded off but do I really have no other option? I was told that using the car's chassis number you could find out the key but I have spoken to Vauxhall this morning and that isn't true apparently.

Very frustrated that even vauxhall can't get their own tyres off their cars!

Thanks

Michelle
Posted By: Salmon Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:13pm
I would be surprised if they would not come off with a slightly over sized socket.I am surprised the tyre places would not try that.I did it myself that way a few years back. It may round the edges of the locking nut but that is not the end of the world.
Posted By: Clive Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:14pm
can you put a pic up of the type on locking nut
Posted By: TheDr Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:26pm
Unless you actually have the locking key I don't see the point in keeping them, if you get a flat tyre one night you are royally stuffed.

Look on eBay for a new set to match your car (or go down the breakers and pick up a few nuts). Have them taken off (get Kwik Fit to do a "free" brake check, you never know, they might take them off for you smile ) and then just put the new ones on.

Cheaper than having to be recovered laugh
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:37pm
Sorry I can't post a pic of type because we have lost it and that's the whole point we cant find out what type/key it is frown

None of the tyre places I've spoken to, kwik fit, national tyres, tyre guys, top gear tyres will or can take them off! Don't have the facilities....
Posted By: j_demo Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:52pm
i'd get them welded off or taken off some way then buy new ones, at least then you have the nut
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 12:54pm
we sell removal blades at work, but they are about £9 each and they are only a one use item. So you would need four for a full set (if you only have one locking nut on each wheel)

So that could be quite expensive, You just whack them into the locking wheel nut and it grips inside and you will then be able to remove it.

Other than that, i would suggest the same as everyone else already has.

Good luck
Posted By: reddragon Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 1:05pm
the way Ive seen it done is to get a nut welded to the locking nut and then remove it that way then sling them away and replace with new ones
Posted By: TheDr Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 1:25pm
I think you'll find a few of the "proper" mechanics in these places will have one in their tool box, it's not an uncommon problem.

J&M Speed (645 0881) can get a removal tool in for you next day for £23, might be cheaper than getting a nut welded to each one, depends where you go.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 1:56pm
maybe but how often are you going to use the nut removal tool? seems a waste of £23 imho
Posted By: Nigel Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 2:48pm
"DIRECT TYRES" behind KFC in Rock ferry can get the nuts off they have the removal key, the man himself told me so. The nuts are made of soft mild steel, and the removal tool "hammers" on to the nuts. If not try bathers on the A41, let us know how you get on?
Posted By: Silverback Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 2:49pm

The front two tyres are now very bald

Originally Posted by reddragon
maybe but how often are you going to use the nut removal tool? seems a waste of £23 imho

How much do the courts charge nowadays for bald tyres?
Posted By: Nigel Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 2:50pm
withthat
Posted By: TheDr Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 6:32pm
I was thinking that too, but the other side is how much are you going to pay someone to weld four nuts to the locking nuts (without damaging the wheels), has to be a £20 job minimum, so for £3 extra you have the tool to do it in your tool box for next time.

Posted By: mrhanky Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 2nd Feb 2012 7:12pm
pic of the nut?
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 3rd Feb 2012 2:04pm
Ah thanks so much for the great response and to Nigel, sounds like Direct Tyres are going to be the right guys. My plan tomorrow is to go to halfords/motorworld buy a new locking nut set then to direct tyres wallasey for some new tyres (rock ferry sold out) then to rock ferry for them to remove and fit new ones!!

Hope it goes to plan otherwise I'm screwed!
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 4th Feb 2012 1:41pm
not the time of year to be driving with bald tyres,, hope you get it sorted lol
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Vauxhall Corsa Locking Nut Key - 5th Feb 2012 10:45am
Is it an original Vauxhall locking key?

If so, take it to the dealer and get them to match it up. Most dealers carry a full set of locking nut keys (Ive had to do this with Nissan and BMW), so they bring a case full of key to the car, try each one until they find one that fits, and then sell it to you (Last one I got was from BMW and it cost £7), and then relace it for themselves for stock in the future.

....of course, it wouldnt surprise me if Vauxhall didnt do this - something that makes so much sense, yet they are oblivious think

Failing that, take it to a garage and get it removed - wont cost much, and should damage the wheels....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral