Forums
Posted By: Clive getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 1:59pm
whats the best way to get tyres of the rims, i need to take 4 tyres of the rims so i can weigh the alloys in, i have tryed a big hacksaw, thats no good, any ideas anyone, i dont want to pay to get them done as i wont be making no money on them
Posted By: sean Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 2:34pm
i've used a jigsaw in the past with a "metal" blade. let me know how much you get for them, i have some i need to weigh in.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 2:58pm
As long as they are not low profile tyres, you should be able to get a pry bar in there to pop the tyre over the lip of the rim - especially if youre not bothered about scratching the wheels.

...Ive done it this way in the past (at a race meet where we got a puncture and needed to swap a tyre) we even didnt damage the rim by using rags in the "pry" areas smile
Posted By: Littlebear Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 3:47pm
Two crowbars. Use washing up liquid to help slip them off.
Posted By: Clive Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 4:03pm
Originally Posted by Littlebear
Two crowbars. Use washing up liquid to help slip them off.
I have been at them all afternoon, still no joy, i give up now, i will take them to tip tomorrow, if i had angle grinder, i'd have them off in seconds
Posted By: swinds Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 4:52pm
just dont use your mums best spoons out of the cutlery draw

Posted By: little_pob Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 5:30pm
Are you having trouble breaking the bead?

[youtube]DNrhMUPxI3o[/youtube]
Posted By: jimbob Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 6:03pm
borrow the proper tool. its called a TYRE LEVER. You need 2 of them. Use to have a pair but that was 40 odd years ago.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 6:23pm
Have you tried letting the air out first? wink
Posted By: mrhanky Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 7:13pm
if you pop down tomorrow i should be able to use next doors machine and do them for you.
Posted By: Clive Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 7:23pm
thank you what time is best
Posted By: mrhanky Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 7:57pm
should be there for about 11:00, will check how busy they are and give you a ring. if you haven't heard from me by about 11:30 give me a quick bell.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: getting tyres of rims - 1st Feb 2012 10:37pm
Originally Posted by sean
i've used a jigsaw in the past with a "metal" blade. let me know how much you get for them, i have some i need to weigh in.
£7:50 each

Originally Posted by Willo
whats the best way to get tyres of the rims, i need to take 4 tyres of the rims so i can weigh the alloys in, i have tryed a big hacksaw, thats no good, any ideas anyone, i dont want to pay to get them done as i wont be making no money on them

Use your brain willo.
Goto terry on the dock road and if the tyres are any good tell him he can keep em if he takes em off free.

Make sure you remove the valves too or they won't take them.
Posted By: Clive Re: getting tyres of rims - 2nd Feb 2012 1:20pm
Originally Posted by sean
I got £31.50 for them, thanks to mrhanky for getting tyres of for me
Posted By: mrhanky Re: getting tyres of rims - 2nd Feb 2012 7:15pm
no worries.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: getting tyres of rims - 2nd Feb 2012 8:16pm
result Willo, nice one
© Wirral-Wikiwirral