Forums
Posted By: nidgynoo windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 5:08pm
Hi,have just found a crack on my windscreen (fiat seicento)I can have it replaced through my insurance for £75 or could it be done cheaper going to a scrappy and having someone to fit it for me...just thinking about it affecting my no claims..any help greatly appreciated..many thanks
Posted By: mrhanky Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 5:13pm
try wirral spares, pretty decent prices on new screens 653 4422
Posted By: Salmon Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 5:37pm
Windscreen replacements don't usually affect no claims bonus, you just have to pay the excess, best check with your insurers.
Posted By: reddragon Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 7:07pm
we have had 2 screens replaced by wirral spares both done outside the house both well below average price
ie
mondeo ghia x front screen
national windscreens £ 497:00
wirral spares £ 103:00

citroen xsara front screen
national windscreens £175:00
wirral spares £ 80:00
Posted By: TheDr Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 8:14pm
Have to agree, Wirral Spares, anything that couldn't be done through insurance went to them, cheapest for miles, and a good job too.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 8:23pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Have to agree, Wirral Spares, anything that couldn't be done through insurance went to them, cheapest for miles, and a good job too.

withthat

Also very tidy, minimum mess.

We get all our van screens replaced by Wirral spares and they done my Astra screen too, proper original with the blue sun visor band too, pretty sure it was £80.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 8:42pm
thanks for the advice everyone,wirral spares want £60 + vat...excess on insurance is £75,and it doesn't affect my no claims so I guess its a no brainer..thanks again!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: windscreen replacement - 24th Jan 2012 11:03pm
All I can say is to read your policy very carefully, although it may not affect your no-claims discount it can still be used against you in other ways.

Extract from SwiftCovers terms and conditions.

In the event of a windscreen replacement only claim, your No Claims Discount will not increase in the following year.

Posted By: nidgynoo Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 12:11am
thanks dr,will check it out..£60 from wirral spares was a used one which i thought was a little excessive but i may be wrong?
Posted By: DavidB Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 1:37am
Originally Posted by mrhanky
try wirral spares, pretty decent prices on new screens 653 4422

I echo that, I've used Borough Road three times. They're 60 - 90 quid fitted, and they do it that day. It also helps they're actually all nice, pleasant people working in there.
Auto Windscreens cracked a new screen putting it in, and didn't even seal it up. The crack spread in weeks, and water go in through the missing seal. Never again.

Also, adverts saying free chip repair. A chip can be repaired, but it won't spread, a crack can't be repaired and depending where it is, it will usually spread - you'll need a new screen if it's cracked.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 7:06am
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
thanks dr,will check it out..£60 from wirral spares was a used one which i thought was a little excessive but i may be wrong?

you sure it was used?
Posted By: Clive Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 7:52am
if its not a bonded screen, they are easy to fit using string
Posted By: reddragon Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 8:31am
dont forget the washing up liquid up as well Willo lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 10:22am
Originally Posted by TheDr
All I can say is to read your policy very carefully, although it may not affect your no-claims discount it can still be used against you in other ways.

Extract from SwiftCovers terms and conditions.

In the event of a windscreen replacement only claim, your No Claims Discount will not increase in the following year.

Yup, they used it as an excuse to bump my mates premium up, said it was classed as a claim.
Posted By: reddragon Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 10:34am
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
thanks for the advice everyone,wirral spares want £60 + vat...excess on insurance is £75,and it doesn't affect my no claims so I guess its a no brainer..thanks again!!

Whichever way you look at it your going to have to pay out the same so IMHO i would be paying wirral spares and leave insurance as it is. Less hassle
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 10:35am
Originally Posted by Willo
if its not a bonded screen, they are easy to fit using string

So are the bonded ones but it takes two people to get the old one out smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 11:09am
I'm getting mine done on the transit as I type, insurance job, £60 excess, I'd rather have it done by a proper windscreen firm, if it leaks they can come back and do it again, apparently its sealed and one lad doing it on his own.

Attached picture ws 001.jpg
Attached picture ws 002.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 12:04pm
Witch reminds me need to ring my insurance to get mine done. Am with bert would rather pay proper firm. you know your getting a new one and if anythink is wrong they come back out to sort..
Posted By: mrhanky Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 1:22pm
as far as i know wirral spares still have someone who comes out to do the fitting, haven't had one done for a couple of years. but what the hey, who needs to support a local business crazy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 1:29pm
Wirral Spares did mine on the Race Car - Think they charged me £170 fitted, which wasnt bad considering the Integra screen isnt easy to get hold of - they were much cheaper than anyone else, and I cant complain about the workmanship of the fitting either smile
Posted By: Littlebear Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 8:17pm
Someone comes out to fit, they did mine. smile
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: windscreen replacement - 25th Jan 2012 10:11pm
Wirral spare rang me this morning,turns out they didn't have a second hand one but they could get me a new one for £119 + vat....money I just have not got at the moment,so insurance is looking likely...thanks for all the advice though.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windscreen replacement - 15th Feb 2012 9:21pm
Try safestyle uk they have a buy one you get one free offer...........meeeeeeooooow
© Wirral-Wikiwirral