Forums
Posted By: Clive Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 9:30am
I have now had my licence for over 3 yrs.
so I can give lessons as long as I dont charge for them.

The query I have does my insurance cover the learner or do they have to get there own insurance - also do i have to inform my insurance that am giving lessons or does that not matter as long as the learener has there own insurance.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 10:03am
willo I found this for you taken from

http://www.learnerstuff.co.uk/learning-to-drive/private-practice.htm

Learning to Drive with Family or Friends / Teaching Someone To Drive
Learning to drive with family or friends can save you money and help you get to test standard quicker, but we recommend you always use a qualified Approved Driving Instructor and just practice with family or friends. You should also ask your A.D.I. when he or she thinks it is time that private practice with family or friends would be of benefit.

If you are teaching someone to drive you will need to have L-Plates clearly displayed, appropriate insurance for the learner driver and you must have held your licence for a minimum of 3 years and be at least 21 years old. It's also recommended that you have a rear view mirror fitted when you are supervising a learner.

Note: Remember Learner drivers are not allowed on Motorways!

Posted By: Clive Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 10:10am
Thank you
Posted By: Salmon Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 10:47am
Be prepared to be scared stiff as well.I got our 4 sons and 2 of their wives through the test. I made sure they had some lessons with a driving school first and then I took them out for extra practice but without full control of the car you feel quite vulnerable at first. Then again when you are used to driving and then go as a passenger you are not that comfortable. Nobody drives as well as you do!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 11:27am
As already said...

They need insurance on the vehicle they are driving. Insurance is usually a lot cheaper when they hold a provisional licence.
You don't need to be insured on the vehicle although it is always handy to be just in case. 21. Hold full licence for 3 years.
I sat with my girlfriend whilst she was learning. She was also having proper driving lessons as well. But the extra driving experience is a huge benefit. Just don't confuse them by telling something different to the instructor! I found it best to just sit there and be quiet... smile
Posted By: JonRon Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 6:44pm
Just be aware that you are deemed in control of the car as well in that they couldn't drive you to and from the pub if you were drinking.

Posted By: starakita Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 10:56pm
my daughter's learning to drive,she's got her own car & is insured for it but we are also on the insurance.She had lessons first before we went out with her but it was nerve wracking she's now got a boyfriend to sit with her so hopefully my nails will grow back.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Giving driving lessons - 10th Jan 2012 11:03pm
I once volunteered to teach a farmer to drive. Half way through the first lesson I said to Him, "Can you make a u-turn?" He said "Too bloody right I can. I can make her eyes water!!"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral