Forums
Posted By: Volly is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 10:17pm
Hey all,

Just wondering if somebody can help me please?

We've all seen it, a lot of us have probably done it, but is it legal to drive with something hanging out of you car boot if you secure the load and the boot lid properly?

Only asking as I have to take some 5 metre lengths of skirting board from prenton to Liverpool tomorrow ( via the tunnel ) and I only have a tiny pug 106. Am I likely to get fined if pulled?

Thanks in advance,
Volly
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 10:21pm
Put a floured ant flag or something on the end of the cargo so it is via able to other road users.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 10:45pm
Sorry volly, that should of read...

Put a flouresant flag or something on the end of the cargo so it is visable to other road users.

Stupid iPhone.
Posted By: Volly Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 10:49pm
Lmao! Cheers mate. I wondered what a floured ant flag was, lol.

So if I put a flouresant flag on the end, I'll avoid a pull and potential fine?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 10:58pm
Just don't forget that if it sticks out a long way, when you turn sharply it can overlap the pavement, parked cars or opposite carriageway - you don't want to wipe out pedestrians or other vehicles.

Better go through the tunnel barrier sharpish or it may come down on your wood!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:02pm
As long as its secure, not a danger to yourself and has visible markings for other road users I think not.

That's what we used to do when I was roofing anyway lol.

If unsure I would ask the police, they should be able to help, pm wench on here, she deals with traffic violations I think happy
Posted By: Volly Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:09pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Better go through the tunnel barrier sharpish or it may come down on your wood!

OUCH! ha ha
Posted By: Volly Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:09pm
Thanks again bud
Posted By: Salmon Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:10pm
Only thing I would say is that 5 metres is half as long again as the 106 so the wood is going to stick out probably 2 metres minimum.I don't know how you will make it safe with that much sticking out the back as it will surely sag and could even obscure the rear brake and indicator lights.The point about turning corners is very valid as well. Best of luck with that trip.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:31pm
*Visions of a drive-by jousting*

IIRC, if it overhangs the vehicle by a certain amount (2 metres?) at either end it needs a visual marker on the end to signify it.

I believe legally it has to be a type of fluro triangle, like the ones you get in break down kits. But you see fluro vests and old rags on the end of most vehicles anyway, so not sure how enforced this is, as long as its visibly marked.

*QUOTE* From askthe.police.uk

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q748.htm

The maximum overhang to both the front and back of a vehicle (includes trailers) is a tricky matter. The overhang which you can have on such a vehicle is 60% of the distance between the foremost axle and where the overhang is to begin. So, the allowed overhang to the rear would be 60% of the distance between your front wheels and where the overhang is to commence. For overhang to the front, this would be measured as 60% of the distance from your front wheels to the front of your vehicle. Any measurements from the front wheels should be taken from the centre of those wheels.

You should mark overhangs with a bright cloth.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: is it legal or not? - 24th Nov 2011 11:36pm
Have a look at this smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 12:06am
Do what i used to do, depending on the quantity of course!
Have them thru the front passenger window and then thru the rear if you need. Tye the bundles and wind the front window up to secure them. Lash the rears and the hatch down securely. You should get about 1m out the front depending on length of wood!!
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 1:13am
You will definitely get pulled in the tunnel. Heavy fine too. Better to hire a bigger car-it's cheaper than penalty points!! :-)
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 1:25am
In any case, you stand a good chance of damaging another vehicle because the B'head tunnel s curved-and if that vehicle is, say, a Lexus sports coupe being driven by a local drug dealer you might get murdered in a road rage attack if you snap his mirrors off with the trailing edge of your skirting. It's just not worth 6 penalty points and a shiv in the goolies is it? Drive carefully now!! :-)
Posted By: Volly Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 8:29am
Thanks for all the replies.

Decided to go in work earlier and chop them in half, ha ha.

Cheers, volly
Posted By: polo_phil Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 8:53am
Chop in half best idea! smile

Also make sure your number plate is still visible if they're hanging out the boot
Posted By: DavidB Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 11:11am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Put a floured ant flag or something on the end of the cargo so it is via able to other road users.

I have some floured ants i dont need if you need them lol.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 11:29am
Originally Posted by Volly
Hey all,

Just wondering if somebody can help me please?

We've all seen it, a lot of us have probably done it, but is it legal to drive with something hanging out of you car boot if you secure the load and the boot lid properly?

Only asking as I have to take some 5 metre lengths of skirting board from prenton to Liverpool tomorrow ( via the tunnel ) and I only have a tiny pug 106. Am I likely to get fined if pulled?

Thanks in advance,
Volly
Volly have you not got a friend with a van ? smile
Posted By: reddragon Re: is it legal or not? - 25th Nov 2011 11:10pm
yrs ago i had to transport some plastic piping and all i did was secure it over the door mirror and then lash it to the rear hatch with a further lashing thru the rear door window overhang was bout a foot each end and Ionly had a hillman hunter lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral